Formula 1 Rolex Magyar Nagydíj 2021

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 555 comments
Hold up. Red flags usually come out after a serious crash where a driver may be harmed. Saying that it's "guaranteed" implies to me that someone will be harmed.
Red Flags come out when track work like repairing of barriers has to take place(such as with max at the british GP), a driver is seriously injured/killed(Bianchi at the Japanese GP), the track is unsafe(Many times during heavy downpours) or a huge amount of debris has to be cleaned up as well and it cant be done under safety car(too many to pick)

Red Flags come out when track work like repairing of barriers has to take place(such as with max at the british GP), a driver is seriously injured/killed(Bianchi at the Japanese GP), the track is unsafe(Many times during heavy downpours) or a huge amount of debris has to be cleaned up as well and it cant be done under safety car(too many to pick)
But it's usually as a result of a big crash.

Hold up. Red flags usually come out after a serious crash where a driver may be harmed. Saying that it's "guaranteed" implies to me that someone will be harmed. Now you got upset when I wished for more accidents between Hamilton and Verstappen so why is this example different?
I didn't "get upset", I enforced the forum's rules - and in the kindest possible way given how long this rule has been in place.

You expressed a desire to see an incident. This a vastly different situation from an expression of probability, and one which is specifically prohibited in this forum.

"I think x will happen" and "I want x to happen" are not only not in the same ball park, they're not even the same game.

Last edited:
I didn't "get upset", I enforced the forum's rules.

You expressed a desire to see an incident. This a vastly different situation from an expression of probability, and one which is specifically prohibited in this forum.

"I think x will happen" and "I want x to happen" are not only not in the same ball park, they're not even the same game.
Thanks I'll remember that for next time.

But it's usually as a result of a big crash.
Because a big crash will result in Repairs to barriers needing to take place
Getting the driver into an ambulance which will need to come onto the track
Clean up of debris.

We saw a fair few Red flags IIRC when Perelli first started out.

So finally finished watching the 2nd half of the race after having to leave at Lap 38 before going to work. Boy am I glad I resisted the urge to spoil the results today.

Ocon drove a phenomenal race after cleanly and calmly escaping the first lap chaos. He, in combination with good calls from the Alpine pit wall and driving from Fernando, put in a solid performance and were able to fend off a charging Vettel for most of the race. While Hungary is known for being a tough place to pass, it was still an amazing race for him, espescially after a tough last few races.

Seb also drove a solid race today, and I think could've gotten past Ocon with a few more laps. Still, an on-paper P2 from him is as good as a victory for him and Aston Martin. All Aston has to do is keep this momentum, and remember how to count correctly, and they're sure to get solid results sooner rather than later.

While admittedly a bit frustrating that all of his competitors were removed from the race, it's hard to take away anything from the performance of Lewis, even with a bad strategy call from his team. Lewis put down another trademark hard-charge through the field, and probably would've won if it weren't for Fernando. Only 6 points separate Lewis and Max, so this championship is far from over.

Sainz was on point on the tactics side today, and put in what I feel like was one of his best overall races of his career. He was able to maintain good pace while being aware of Lewis and making good tactical calls to his pit box. I would've loved for him to get a (natural) podium today, but there was no way he could've held off Hamilton with twice-as-old tires.

Fernando's battle against Lewis was just so much fun to watch, even on this track which presents few places to fight for passes. Two legends duking it out hard even with a major difference in car performance. Definitely my driver of the day.

And of course, I'm beyond stoked that Williams not only got points this year, but earned a double-points finish mostly on merit. While 6 cars being taken out helps, both Russell and Latifi were able to drive fast enough to keep pace with the mid-field and not immediately fall back down into the bottom half. Latifi in particular drove a very good race, and was able to keep pace in much better form than I think anyone expected. It's a shame that his first points finish (ahead of George no less) will more than likely fall under the radar over time. He's definitely not the fastest driver to sit in an F1 car, but I've always felt that he's not a total waste of space like so many pay drivers before him.

Biggest losers were definitely Ricciardo and Verstappen. It just hurts to see Danny having such a bad time with the McLaren, especially after putting in a solid performance in Silverstone 2 weeks ago. Fingers are crossed that the new regs will let Ricciardo bounce back. While Verstappen was able to salvage a point from the race, the car was just so slow and so unwieldy for him. I think it would've been better if Red Bull retired the car honestly rather than stress out already-damaged materials.

Biggest losers were definitely Ricciardo and Verstappen. It just hurts to see Danny having such a bad time with the McLaren, especially after putting in a solid performance in Silverstone 2 weeks ago. Fingers are crossed that the new regs will let Ricciardo bounce back. While Verstappen was able to salvage a point from the race, the car was just so slow and so unwieldy for him. I think it would've been better if Red Bull retired the car honestly rather than stress out already-damaged materials.

Don't know how they were the losers any more than everyone else who had to retire with damage at Turn 1.

They both got collided into at Turn 1 through no fault of their own and had damaged cars for the rest of the race, though not enough to retire the car.

Ricciardo would have been in P2 behind Hamilton having avoided the Bottas shunt, but then got wiped out by Stroll running into Leclerc. What could have been (is a question most of the grid will be asking)...

Last edited:
Bizarre race. Glad it happened at Hungary - any other track and Lewis would have won the race, gaining more of an advantage on Max. Glad they're still essentially neck and neck.

More than happy to see Ocon win. I have a strong feeling he'll be another casualty of the driver market shortly, so...maybe this will help stave it off.

As usual, I think a lot of people here are missing the 'gamesmanship' in the radio messages - particularly from Lewis (because of how many people here seem to vehemently hate him). It's akin to drawing a penalty in soccer...you're throwing it out there in the hopes that some steward or race director can be persuaded to look at something and maybe take action, etc.

It looks as though Lewis may have long Covid.
From this article :
"It was dry in all the corners and so I kept telling them: dry, dry, dry and they said to stay out."
I just listen his second formation lap, the team only refrained to give him non-allowed instructions. Hamilton doesn't seem to be aware of the rule (Edit: same for Sainz). He got silence for status quo consent.

About the long Covid, i'm sure a lot of long Covid would like to have his shape. Maybe non Covid people too.

Last edited:
From this article :
"It was dry in all the corners and so I kept telling them: dry, dry, dry and they said to stay out."
I just listen his second formation lap, the team only refrained to give him non-allowed instructions. Hamilton doesn't seem to be aware of the rule (Edit: same for Sainz). He got silence for status quo consent.

About the long Covid, i'm sure a lot of long Covid would like to have his shape. Maybe non Covid people too.
Just to be clear (I may have struggled translating your post), the rule that teams can't make radio strategy calls during the formation lap only applies at the start of the race and does NOT apply to a red flag restart.

I was a bit bemused by it too but this is why we heard Sainz strategize on the radio and zero suggestion that it was wrong.

I always assumed Lewis had asthma or something since he uses an inhaler before every race, covid most likely made it worse.

Also, I love Martin Brundle in the box, but Nico Rosberg did a great job. I hope he does more races in the future so I can laugh at how he makes Croft look like an idiot.

Last edited:
This was by far the most interesting race of the season, proving Hungary is indeed Monaco without the houses, as a well driven midfielder given the lead was able to maintain it for the entire race.

Rosberg was a welcome breath of fresh air, sanity and seriousness in the commentary box.

What in the world was Ricciardo's excuse? Was his car damaged in the melee?

Last edited:
This was by far the most interesting race of the season, proving Hungary is indeed Monaco without the houses, as a well driven midfielder given the lead was able to maintain it for the entire race.

Rosberg was a welcome breath of fresh air, sanity and seriousness in the commentary box.

I haven't heard anything specific but Ricciardo was physically spun around in the T1 carnage. If he escaped without any damages it would've been a miracle.

ANDREAS SEIDL, Team Principal

“A day to forget for us. Unfortunately, both of our drivers and cars were victims of incidents in Turn One after good race starts, which finished our day.

“We had to retire Lando’s car straight away with extensive damage. Daniel’s had heavy bodywork damage as well, but the team was still trying to fight for points, which wasn’t possible with the loss of aero we’d suffered.

After he was hit in the side by Leclerc (unwittingly, Leclerc having been hit in the side by Stroll) and spun around to face the other way on the apron at the exit of turn one, it'd be a surprise if it wasn't.

1627899152690.png

1627899210803.png

1627899276879.png

Verstappen's overtake of Schumacher was a bit rough - chopped his nose off between turns two and three, and it looks like front-left to wing contact. Lucky he didn't get a puncture (or worse), and it was pretty unnecessary; hope Haas sends Horner the repair bill...

Last edited:
After he was hit in the side by Leclerc (unwittingly, Leclerc having been hit in the side by Stroll) and spun around to face the other way on the apron at the exit of turn one, it'd be a surprise if it wasn't.

View attachment 1071749

View attachment 1071750

View attachment 1071752

Verstappen's overtake of Schumacher was a bit rough - chopped his nose off between turns two and three, and it looks like front-left to wing contact. Lucky he didn't get a puncture (or worse), and it was pretty unnecessary; hope Haas sends Horner the repair bill...
Verstappen's overtake on Schumacher was also illegal. He went massively off track through T1, but still went for the overtake into T2 and got it done before T3. That's overtaking on the corner after significant track limits, which was made very clear at Belgium in 2008 isn't allowed and hasn't been since.

Verstappen's overtake on Schumacher was also illegal. He went massively off track through T1, but still went for the overtake into T2 and got it done before T3. That's overtaking on the corner after significant track limits, which was made very clear at Belgium in 2008 isn't allowed and hasn't been since.
FIA says otherwise.
As they said "No action necessary"

Having skipped most of the pre-quali and pre-race paddock chatter this weekend, what was the reasoning for no Coultard or Webber at C4 and then Rosberg in the commentary for Sky F1?

I thought Billy Monger was pretty good in C4's commentary. For a non-F1 driver his driver's insight was pretty good.

Just to be clear (I may have struggled translating your post), the rule that teams can't make radio strategy calls during the formation lap only applies at the start of the race and does NOT apply to a red flag restart.

I was a bit bemused by it too but this is why we heard Sainz strategize on the radio and zero suggestion that it was wrong.
To clarify even further the rule is no strategy communication during a formation lap but that lap to the grid after the red flag is NOT a formation lap, it's a safety car lap. Note indeed that they follow the SC out the pits, unlike a formation lap which they do on their own.

Reason being, it's not guaranteed they will have a grid start after a red flag, it could be a regular SC restart like it always used to be if they choose.

So for that reason it's a normal SC lap and radio is unrestricted. But indeed some teams didn't seem to know.

Last edited:
Having skipped most of the pre-quali and pre-race paddock chatter this weekend, what was the reasoning for no Coultard or Webber at C4 and then Rosberg in the commentary for Sky F1?
They might have said something unkind about Hungary in the past and don't want to be detained by the Orban Police.

They might have said something unkind about Hungary in the past and don't want to be detained by the Orban Police.
Usually dull races with no on-track overtaking? Seems a bit harsh.

I don't know the reasons for the absence of Coulthard, Di Resta and Webber, but Brundle was racing at the Silverstone Classic over the weekend.

Last edited:
Ricciardo had floor and bargeboard damage like Max. The latter was still just about intact but a large part of it was gone.

psqwpag79xe71.jpg

FIA says otherwise.
As they said "No action necessary"
FIA also says you can't rejoin the track in a dangerous fashion after going off but Sainz was allowed to drive straight out into the path of Gasly during the Silverstone sprint, so you know, what FIA say and what FIA do ain't exactly similar.

FIA also says you can't rejoin the track in a dangerous fashion after going off but Sainz was allowed to drive straight out into the path of Gasly during the Silverstone sprint, so you know, what FIA say and what FIA do ain't exactly similar.
Max didn't rejoin in a dangerous manner, He rejoined behind Schmi and drove towards the end of the corner before rejoining.
If Max did rejoin in a dangerous manner the FIA would not have said "No Further Action Required"

Rejoining wasn't the issue, passing while having gained an advantage via significant track limits at the preceding corner is the rule the FIA didn't bother to enforce. Cutting a chicane and then pulling off an overtake at the next corner is obviously not on, why was this?

Had Lewis come in on the formation lap, he would not have rejoined in first. Being the first pit box would have meant waiting for the train to go by before being able to leave again.

Max didn't rejoin in a dangerous manner, He rejoined behind Schmi and drove towards the end of the corner before rejoining.
If Max did rejoin in a dangerous manner the FIA would not have said "No Further Action Required"
I didn't say Max rejoined dangerously. I said Sainz did during the Silverstone sprint.

I was bringing up a different situation where what FIA says the rules are and how FIA applies the rules is inconsistent, to highlight the pattern of their behavior.

Max should have had to give the position back, and Sainz should have been penalized, had FIA bothered to apply their rules consistently.

Had Lewis come in on the formation lap, he would not have rejoined in first. Being the first pit box would have meant waiting for the train to go by before being able to leave again.
He wouldn't have been last though, he'd have passed many of them whilst they were stopped in their pit boxes and it was the reverse, other cars holding for HAM. Well, unless you're Alfa.

Last edited:
Back