Formula 1 Formula 1 Rolex Sakhir Grand Prix 2020

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Jimlaad43, Dec 1, 2020.

1. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

GET IN THERE GEORGE!!!!!

Seriously though, my heart wishes it's Hulk but my head (and the logical) choice will always be Russell. Let's see how good he really is against Bottas (and whether it's all just "the car" ;)).

As for the track itself, I wonder what will happen if someone gets blue flagged? Length 3543 meter divided by 20 = 177 meter. I imagine that is not a large distance at F1 speeds. Possibly once you get a blue flag you have to wait for the whole grid to pass you before you can get going again? :boggled: And then the cycle repeats itself because it's only a 55 second lap.

2. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

Williams are gonna be approximately 2 seconds a lap slower than Mercedes, so they'll be getting lapped around lap 20-25.

3. evldave333

evldave333

The layout is effectively a power circuit this time not RBs strong suit at all... Hoping Russell has a strong race, he might not be used to the Merc but its going to be way easier to drive than the turd he's been polishing this year... I could see George winning this Valteri's form in the past 2 races had been abysmal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

I don't see George doing much more than the bottom of the top 10 if we're being realist, but I'll be gladly surprised if he does better.

5. evldave333

evldave333

I think top 5 is much more realistic in a w11 he can be half a second a lap slower than VB and still come in fifth the way things are...

6. SlowGrayAudi

SlowGrayAudi

How did he do at the Hungary text last year was it?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  7. Samus

Samus

I know F1 is a completely different kettle of fish but let's not forget this is the same Russell who won GP3 and F2 titles at his first attempt. He knows how to win.

evldave333 likes this.
  8. C-ZETA

C-ZETA

You may laugh, but if anything happens, don't say I didn't warn you...

9. CLowndes888

CLowndes888 Premium

Where have we seen the number 63 on a Mercedes before?
    IMG_0922-1.png
    HMMMMMMMMM

10. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

Seat fitting for George. His mask can barely contain his smile, from ear to ear. Can't wait for quali and race day.

andrea likes this.
  11. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

12. andrea

andrea

13. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Mid 1:20s in the safety car

Nice slide on rejoining the interior track.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    wfooshee and TenEightyOne like this.
  14. PaMu1337

PaMu1337

I really wouldn't be surprised if Hamilton retires. It's a bit weird how long they are stalling with his contract, he has dropped a few hints in the past, and he broke the last big record this year.
    I don't believe that he doesn't have covid, but this is by coincidence a good chance to test out the replacement

15. Liquid

Liquid Premium

He'll want that 8th title. I could see retirement after that. If not for Rosberg, he'd be there right now already.

I don't see why Hamilton would retire when he clearly hasn't lost any of his talent, spark or racecraft. Other than boredom.

kungtotte_ likes this.
  16. PaMu1337

PaMu1337

I don't think he will retire, but I wouldn't be surprised if he would.

That being said, I think it could be a case of "nothing more to gain". There is no real new target, he already broke all records.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  17. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Except most titles.

18. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

He is so close to 100 poles and 100 wins, why stop when he knows he'll have the best car for next season. His podium interview in Turkey was pretty clear that Lewis wants to continue.

19. noshog

noshog

Yeah I think Hamilton will want 8 titles, I don't think he's the type that'll be happy just equalling a record, he'll want it all to himself.
    I'm picking he'll be back next year, no doubt Mercedes will still be the best car, so pick up one more title and call it quits.

20. JockeP22

JockeP22

21. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

It's absolutely incredible that he is already walking around the track not even a week later.

What an absolutely incredible job by the marshals, medics and the hospital.

Rossell2 and MUSC4EVER like this.
  22. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Just heard a snippet of the Brundle interview with Romain before FP1. Very powerful words from him. Look forward to watching the whole thing. He explained the incident with great clarity of thought. He's gone up hugely in my estimation.

23. Saidur_Ali

Saidur_Ali

Hopefully Lewis recovers fully. Rooting for George to do well, he seems a similar kind of driver to Valtteri (Media are so nasty to him, bless him) so if he can settle well, then should be able to drive on a decent level too. Given it is a simpler track with lower downforce requirements, what a great opportunity for him to show how well he can do.

Probably going to be a lot of gamesmanship going on this weekend given length of track. Might be crucial to be able to follow and get a good exit from turn 8 for overtaking chances. Might be best to use slipstream instead of battery to stay close until last corner before deploying all remaining energy for the final straight and DRS to overtake while saving enough energy to defend for exits of turn 3, 8 and 11 before pulling away. Good to see other drivers getting opportunities too, looks like it could be a really exciting weekend. Might be a tough track for the power units so hopefully reliability holds up.
    Renault team need to use their Spa setup here. Will be interesting to see if pecking order will change a bit compared to last race, lap times should be much closer given shorter track. Mercedes were a beast though in Monza so they will be tough to beat unless they only have high downforce wings.

So you are expecting him to do worse than he did in his last race for Williams? Would have to be unlucky with a DNF or have a bad race for him and Mercedes for him to finish there in terms of pace, can't see why he won't be able to adapt to such a great car. The gain in speed due to just aerodynamic efficiency over the Williams will be huge on the straights. Maybe using reduced size shoe and old seat could counterbalance the gains if he is in too much pain to drive the car but seriously on a straightforward weekend, I expect him to be challenging for the podium places as long as the car is competitive like it has been on all tracks this year. Hopefully he can get the win.

24. Milouse

Milouse

He's in!
    upload_2020-12-4_14-29-28.png

Hayden and Saidur_Ali like this.
  25. evldave333

evldave333

Having Russell in Hamilton's car is making this weekend very compelling, his pace so far in FP1 is seriously impressive!

26. SuperDiscoDaz

SuperDiscoDaz

The FIA are going to have to put in track limits on the exit of turn 8 as plenty of cars have gone wide there. I’ve seen plenty of drivers improving their fastest laps while not having any wheels on the kerb.

Jimlaad43 likes this.
  27. Famine

Famine Administrator

So, George Russell there with the fastest lap time in F1 history.

MaxAttack and Hayden like this.
  28. kungtotte_

kungtotte_

His first time driving the car too...

29. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

Tbf this is the ideal track for his call up, but Bottas must be a little nervous now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  30. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

FP1 has just finished, and Russell topped the time sheets. Looking very, very promising.