Formula 1 Rolex Sakhir Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 601 comments
Bottas had some damage due to running over kerbs in FP1 apparently, and his fastest lap in FP2 was deleted due to track limits (he would've been 0.2 sec faster than George otherwise). Easy to say Bottas is useless, but I think Russel is just one of those mercurial talents along the lines of Lewis/Max/Leclerc in that he can immediately go fast in any car without practice. It's also much easier to go from a bad car to a good car than the other way round. One lap pace is one thing, but the real test will be in the race. Start procedures, tyre management, dealing with pressure from behind, etc.

Fittipaldi and Aitken doesn't look too shabby either.

Can't wait for the race :D

Q1 looks like it might be a nerve-wracking experience for drivers and viewers alike. In P2 I noticed Paul Di Resta towering over 70's era guardrail just yards from the track as some cars were flashing by at 200mph and others going maybe 80 mph slower. All those drivers and rookies need to be real respectful of each other just now. IMHO this bullring isn't up to snuff for 20 cars; 24 or more would be a nightmare.

If Russell gets pole Mercedes are really going to look like idiots extending Bottas contract.

Sometimes you need to actually believe in your driver program, otherwise it serves no purpose.

Before we all shower Russell with adoration - and I'm keen to, believe me - let's remember that jumping into a car in a one shot, one chance to prove yourself situation is the exact kind of thing any F1 driver can and will have done multiple times on their way up. Track time is expensive and do-overs are a rare thing in this business.

That said it's those who do make the best of those opportunities that go the furthest, and I'll be very happy if George can leave a big footprint with this chance. However all these drivers, Bottas included, have had to shine in these moments to get their foot in the door in the first place.

...George can leave a big footprint...foot in the door...
Funny you should mention feet. Poor Giant George can barely squeeze his size 11's into the footbox and peer under the halo. I'll be impressed if he gets by without suffering cramps and numbness, let alone scoring points.

Funny you should mention feet. Poor Giant George can barely squeeze his size 11's into the footbox and peer under the halo. I'll be impressed if he gets by without suffering cramps and numbness, let alone scoring points.
He's having to wear size 10 shoes t be able to fit.

Despite Lewis wearing a size 7, they can certainly be called "big shoes to fill".

I'm sure we'll see George drive his heart and sole out. He's not the type of guy to get caught up waggling his tongue. This is a chance for him to put his foot down and get some distance between him and a couple of forgettable laces. Races.

Dotini has raised a very valid point. Driving uncomfortable and inside a car made for a smaller guy, it's one thing to do a few laps in practise, then stop, then do a few more, and repeat until the end of a session. It's a totally different game to do a full race like that. I fear (and would hate if this happens) that the initial uneasiness will get worse after a few laps and the 2and part of the race can be a real struggle for Russel. And that has lap time consequences, even if a few tenths per lap don't seem much they can be the difference between a great race or an average(to poor) one. And that's if his struggles dont turn to pain and don't cause a real driving problem/mistake.

Despite Lewis wearing a size 7, they can certainly be called "big shoes to fill".

I'm sure we'll see George drive his heart and sole out. He's not the type of guy to get caught up waggling his tongue. This is a chance for him to put his foot down and get some distance between him and a couple of forgettable laces. Races.
The unfortunate thing is this may be George's only chance if Lewis heels properly.

Yeah, Mick pulled off some great, clean passes through the race - the highlight being around the outside of T6 on Markelov - while Mazepin did his best to shove Drugovich into a massive crash twice in two DRS Zones.

Anyway, great to see Tsunoda's guaranteed a superlicense now. Presumably that'll see him in the AlphaTauri next year now, which is great. He might prove to be the most legit of the lot.

I have to say that the new part of the circuit from T4-T9 is the best section of corners at the Bahrain International Circuit. Its just a shame that it can only be used either on this super-short circuit or on the awful super-long Endurance circuit, so we're not going to see it again.

Meanwhile...

So this guy's replacing Magnussen specifically, right?

I'm sure Vettel, or Rosberg, or someone did exactly the same thing a couple of years back.

Binotto really is cursed.

Ferrari fans right now
E5E2EEC9-BBF2-4C18-8DB9-B39FF484F94E.png

All the time you have to leave a da space!

Well, a bit more than a couple of years then!

Interesting to note how close they came to the Grosjean barrier... and the car that span in the background.

Back