Formula 1 SOCAR Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2019

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 188 comments
Ouch Charles. Beginner's 'rookie F1' fault. Can happen. Luckily also LeClerc is ok like Kubica.
Comparison already made with Max' Monaco fault...Part of the game. Good for experience

Accident is never okayish but it spices up the starting grid. Interesting race tomorrow with Pierre from the back, Charles midfield.

Well this looks like it will be a fight for pole between red bull and Mercedes. Seeing how the tarmac was cooling off I wonder if that was the right call with the medium tire for the Ferrari!

Looking at that replay, he came in just way too hot... locked up and that was it...

I guess every team rookie is allowed an occasional mistake. Only this one was more costly than the one he made during the opening round.

Damn, what a shame. Charles had a real chance at pole here. Hopefully, Seb can get pole and Charles can get some points tomorrow.

So first Williams and now Ferrari out at the same point. That bit of track is, what, 7 or maybe 8 metres wide, WTF. This is Formula 1, not a bloody tarmac rally.

Baku should not be on the F1 calendar, along with every other damn street track (Monaco included) as they are no longer suited to F1, and haven’t been for years.

Utter stupidity on the part of the F1 organisers, but I guess money talks louder than sense.

That's Charles chance to shine in the race tomorrow. Good thing you can overtake at this track if you stay out of trouble. As a rookie in that Ferrari car, I'm really interested to see what he'll do!

So first Williams and now Ferrari out at the same point. That bit of track is, what, 7 or maybe 8 metres wide, WTF. This is Formula 1, not a bloody tarmac rally.

Baku should not be on the F1 calendar, along with every other damn street track (Monaco included) as they are no longer suited to F1, and haven’t been for years.

Utter stupidity on the part of the F1 organisers, but I guess money talks louder than sense.

It's fine. It's a safe corner with bite and a runoff Leclerc could have used. More tracks used to punish mistakes. Baku makes some crazy races compared to some real tracks.

F1 is going to keep looking more at city street tracks going forward for cost and accessibility. Vietnam is coming, Miami was designed but scrapped.

Last edited:
I think if vettel had a tow he could have toe he might have got pole, could have been a Ferrari front row lock out but slipped again as usual.

Ferrari on the back foot again despite what looked like it could be Ferrari dominated weekend!! Anyway, Baku is always a cracker so it should an interesting race tomorrow!

Can you imagine what kind of lap Hamilton could have done if he wasn't held up there? The Mercs should have lined up on Vettel for that last lap. Vettel's tow gave Giovinazzi around six tenths over Kimi.

That "practice start" almost cost them everything. It took some 2/10ths out of Lewis' lap. I imagine he could have smashed Bottas if not for that.

Still, great to see a good fight between the Mercs. Because Ferrari sure isn't giving it to them.

It's fine. It's a safe corner with bite and a runoff Leclerc could have used. More tracks used to punish mistakes. Baku makes some crazy races compared to some real tracks.

I'm not saying it's not safe - nobody was hurt after all, but the amount of cars that had to use the runoff for this corner was ridiculous. On a normal circuit a driver would be off track, maybe lose a few places and be back in the race. On a street circuit however one slight screw up and the whole race has to be stopped for god knows how long to clear up the mess. That's not racing.

F1 is going to keep looking more at city street tracks going forward for cost and accessibility. Vietnam is coming, Miami was designed but scrapped.

I really hope that's not true. Street circuits are to motor racing like water is to fire - they both extinguish the whole event.

The Mercs should have lined up on Vettel for that last lap. Vettel's tow gave Giovinazzi around six tenths over Kimi.

So they should have done like Gio and start the lap one car length behind Vettel? I'm not too sure about that. :)

Ferraris straight line advantage is just not enough to make up for what they lose in the corners. Should be fun to watch Leclerc carve through the field though.

Back