Formula of Speed: Chapter 4; Page 21 - Exchange of Blows

Page 14 - Closure

Right after that little run on that hill where I've shown him a bit of my true skill, I led that old man Shaw to the cemetery where Otousan's final resting place is. As we enter the mausoleum, I suddenly felt a chilling wind.

Takuma: "Hiroyuki-san, have you felt something?"

Hiroyuki: "Huh? I haven't..."

Sir Shaw: "So this is where my son rests, huh?"

Takuma: "Yes. He died being a great father to me. Even though he never had an idea on how to become one, he eventually became one. In his last breaths, he uttered his words of love. And that, gave me an idea too, on how to be a father."

Just as what I've told him, he kneels down before his son's grave and starts to cry. Even someone like him can change, it's not like no one should lost hope for him. In the end, he realized his mistakes.

He stands up, and turns to look at us. I can see from his face that he's very regretful.

Sir Shaw: "I guess we all have to move on. We still have F1 to take care of."

Takuma: "What are your plans for your team, then?"

Sir Shaw: "I'll just tell them to do their best, that's all. I have realized that I should not pressure them too much, and that I should believe in their own capabilities."

That's what I want to hear. Your team will perform better in that way.

Sir Shaw: "Oh, and this..."

He hands me over a car key, with a Rotor keychain.

Sir Shaw: "The Furai's yours."

Takuma: "What???"

Sir Shaw: "It's my little way of making it up to you. I am your grandpa, after all. And I'm a frail being now. I want that Furai to be in good hands of someone like you. Time is short for someone like me, and also it's not on my side as well."

We all went home by evening. As usual, my wife and Little Ben prepare dinner, while I play with baby Shin, who managed to punch my nose again. I think he'll kill me when he grows up.

The Furai will arrive in a week or two. He doesn't have to give it away to me, you know?

Takuma: "Oh you're one mean baby!"

Kokoro: "Well, he got that from you."

Takuma: "Oh, I'll be heading to Fuji Speedway tomorrow. Practice for F1 resumes as usual. Next week would be the race. And then I'll be flying to the USA for the final round in Indianapolis Speedway."

Little Ben: "Pretty rough schedule there. But I know you can win this!"

Kokoro: "Oh, speaking of Indianapolis, Takuma Sato just Skyped me, looking for you."

Takuma: "Really? What does he want?"

Kokoro: "I think you'd better see him. He just looked for you, that's all."

Takuma: "Since I'll be heading to Indy, I'll just see him there. Besides, he is about to tell something to me."

Kokoro: "Oh, since you're always busy, this is the perfect time to tell you that I will buy a car. I have saved up for it for a long time."

Takuma: "What is it, and why?"

Kokoro: "A 2-seater. And I sometimes want to enjoy myself just to take my stresses off for a while. And your mother loves to look after Shin every time I'm busy at our photo studio."

Takuma: "Oh great... you and your guessing games again."

Next morning, I headed to Fuji, along with Nobu of course. Kokoro took charge of taking Ben to school this time around. The team is already there at dawn. And I could imagine Peter having eye bags... Little Nobu is having coffee, and he told me that's he misses his Motoring Weekly hosting stints.

Gotta start! I have to be in great shape next week!

10421777165_3feb6e1023_c.jpg

10421776825_d3f12f8f95_c.jpg

So far so good. No mechanical anomalies to report. Top shape as always.

10421776025_858bcfee85_c.jpg

10421916883_aacb94af54_c.jpg

10421774475_fdeb886365_c.jpg

After a few laps, I return. The tires are changed and it's time for Little Nobu to run it.

I also made coffee. I'm not really into waking up so early...

Peter: "Win this 4th round, and we'll be enjoying the top position in point rankings, and as well as being eligible to compete for the final round."

Takuma: "That's good. I will make a comeback here, from that crash in the 2nd round."

Peter: "So, you had a talk with Sir Shaw?"

Takuma: "Yes. And he finally had closure. Not just with me, but also with his late son. I'm sure his late son would be happy to hear his father's apology."

Peter: "It is ridiculous that you have to be involved in his anger."

Takuma: "He used me to vent out his feelings, but I understood that. In the end, he realized his wrongdoings and he turned over into a new leaf."

End of Page 14

Page 15 - Bring It On

The 4th Round.

Fuji Speedway is one of the premier race circuits of Japan, having been the stage of high speed battles since its opening in the 60s. At the start of this decade though, the circuit has been thoroughly revamped by Hermann Tilke, making it eligible to host based on the stringent FIA regulations. However, I do sense that some racers, especially the veterans, prefer the old layout, since some of the most exciting high speed battles took place in those old layouts. However, the longest circuit main straight in the world remains. What's also noteworthy is the 30 degree banked high speed corner after the main straight, which, sadly, is in a deteriorating state.

As usual, I make preparations. After a hundred (yes, that much!) push ups, followed by stretching, and I'm all set!

Oh, the Hiramotos arrive to watch! Well, only Little Nobu's parents, though.

Hiroyuki: "Are you ready, Michiharu?"

He's calling me by my father's name, huh?

Takuma: "Very ready, Hiroyuki-san."

Hiroyuki: "You've done a great job... Now, get out there and win!"

Meanwhile, at Sir Shaw's team.

Sir Shaw: "Owen... just do your best and give it your all."

Owen: "That's all, Sir?"

Sir Shaw: "Yes. I have no further instructions. Just have fun and do your best."

All right, let's do this. Come on, Owen!

10437759015_1ea2248be6_c.jpg

Owen: "What's wrong with Sir Shaw? He'd normally give us specific instructions and the ideal racing strategies."

10437902413_6042e1e808_c.jpg

10437733094_327c8a7db0_c.jpg

Owen: "I'm sure his meeting with Takuma made him change. What's with him? Why is Takuma a very dynamic racer? Why is everyone either praising or fearing at his presence?"

Sorry, Owen... I'm not going to play this time. Try catching me...

...if you can.

10437741756_b4e51d675b_c.jpg

Owen: "Unbelievable! He immediately changed his pace!"

10437757255_bbbf388ba5_c.jpg

I got the lead immediately. This is just to show the world what Takuma Kanonji can do!

10437731294_0e69bdbe3f_c.jpg

10437900283_086eae5578_c.jpg

Owen: "He's... what a guy. No wonder The Proteges were feared back then."

Lap after lap, I am increasing the gap. I am all alone... man, I don't want to be alone. No one does.

But in racing, it could be good. Hehehehehe...

10437730634_6e7f444fa0_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Unreal... the gap between him and the opponents is at 15 seconds!"

Nobuhiko: "It's hard to pick up from a gap that huge!"

10437730034_f101f16fd8_c.jpg

I'm just doing what I have to do... to win, that is.

I won the 4th round. My fans were crazy... I held first a fans convention.

After that, I went home by evening.

Zzzzzz.... zzzz.... oh what a wonderful nap. I got up just in time for dinner. First, I checked my laptop and open my Skype, to talk to Takanori and ask about how's stuff at the Motoring Weekly.

Suddenly, I see an alert. It's Takuma Sato! I immediately started the video conversation.

Takuma Sato: "Good evening. I saw your performance. With the gap that big, you think I won't notice?"

Takuma: "I just showed my usual aggression. Besides, I have to set a lap record there too."

Takuma Sato: "Since you're here, allow me to tell you the one thing I should have told you when we met in Monaco.

Let's race once again... this time using our Formula machines. Our last duel ended with a draw. Now, which "Takuma" will reign supreme?

I'll be waiting at the Indianapolis Speedway. We shall do this right after the final round of your championship.

Let's go all-out, shall we?"

Takuma: "Heh... challenge accepted. BRING IT ON, SATO!!!"

End of Page 15

Page 16 - Passing It On

Zzzzzzz.... zzzzzzzz.... zzzzzzz... zzzzzzz.... zzzzzzz... zzzzzz...

Wha... WHO DARES WAKING ME UP!? SOMEONE IS SHAKING ME! I DID NOT SLEEP FOR 20 HOURS FROM JAPAN TO USA!!!

TAKUMA SMASH!!!

Nobuhiko: "Poor Takuma-san... I guess he must really invest on pampered flying."

Takuma: "Wha... What is it? You must know better not to wake me up after a sleepless long haul flight."

Nobuhiko: "You're being challenged by Takuma Sato, huh? You must be so great to attract someone like him."

Takuma: "Heh... I first met him when he challenged me on the touge back home. The match ended in a draw, as both of our cars came into contact and spun out."

Nobuhiko: "Surely it's not just because you two have the same name. But I saw some YouTube videos of his races, and his driving style is 100% similar to yours, though of course he ended up crashing for most of the time. That aggression and recklessness are also seen in you. Rumor has it that he's going back to F1."

Takuma: "Whoever has the most guts and determination wins. No Attack. No Chance. Both of us hold on to that philosophy."

Nobuhiko: "How are we going to attack the course, then?"

Takuma: "Since we cannot do testing once again since we weren't able to secure a reservation, Peter arranged for us to participate in an open track day. He will lend us his Lotus Evora. We are at a pinch again, but I am slightly familiar with the track, having ran there just once."

2 days later, we are at the Indianapolis Speedway. It's an open track day, and we entered for a fee. Peter owns an Evora, just like me, and Sato. I guess all of us agree that the Evora is a proper Lotus.

I handed the keys to Nobuhiko instead. The young man is shocked.

Nobuhiko: "Me?"

Takuma: "I did say "we", right? Come on, you have to be familiar. And you'll be driving for the final round."

10456850714_c8f53af0d0_c.jpg

Takuma: "The road course is not as difficult as what you think, Nobuhiko."

10456850354_f4c18f285c_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "There are lots of places here to overtake. And the Evora is not as shabby as I expected to be. This has potential too, lots of it."

Nobuhiko is seemingly distracted to the fact that he's running for the final round.

Takuma: "Just be nice and easy here at the hairpins. You can overtake them here as well, but make sure your foot is not too heavy on the accelerator."

10456874425_4504dcb95d_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Why me? I was expecting you'll be running for the final round."

Takuma: "I'm saving this for Sato. And I think it's time for you to hit the spotlight. You want to continue your father's legacy, right? So don't stop. I believe in you, Little Nobu."

10456849534_f7c3fde0f3_c.jpg

I hope I encouraged him... He's a great person, after all. We weren't close back then, but knowing him more made me realize how dynamic he is. His determination is in the same league as Takanori's, but he's more of a crouching tiger, hidden dragon.

Nobuhiko: "Just before we left Japan, Oyaji told me that an offer is waiting. I'm still contemplating on it."

10457038193_a7314ddf85_c.jpg

Heh... you've dominated the track, boy.

Nobuhiko: "A team is offering me a spot in next year's Formula Nippon. I'm nervous..."

Takuma: "Don't be. You and your doubts again... Why do you think Formula Nippon needs you? That team sees you as an asset! Take it! I understand what you're going through, since I was like that when Team Lotus F1 offered me a spot in this competition. You are not gonna move up if you keep playing and tapping on others in Super GT. Get out of your comfort zone, try something more challenging. It will make you grow as a person. That's what Otousan taught me.

This final round, could be a deciding factor for you. It's a make or break. You deserve to be in Formula Nippon. And I'm happy that you are moving up."

Nobuhiko steps on the accelerator even harder. That's the spirit!

Nobuhiko: "Thank you, Takuma-san. You and your twin are among the greatest people I've ever known. I'm not gonna let this team go down for this one, last push!"

End of Page 16

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Well, I need a volunteer for the Takuma vs. Takuma duel. I want someone to drive as Takuma Kanonji for the duel.

Page 17 - Pressure

The final round.

Of course it has to be big. Fans from across the globe flock in the Indianapolis Speedway to watch that one final push to glory. F1 teams are very much eager to bag the gold trophy, and as well as to show their technological prowess their machines can offer.

Peter hired us in the hopes for Lotus to be known as a pioneer of racing once again. The team is thirsty for victory, and it's up to both of us - who ironically have little experience in this competition - to decide the fate of this company's team.

All eyes are on us, since it's been ages since Lotus won their races in F1. Our competition is none other than Ferrari. Well, that is to be expected.

As for Little Nobu, he is under pressure. The Castrol Team's representative (which he was affiliated to when he was racing in Super GT) arrives, and he is on our pit garage to watch their candidate perform. Nobu has to impress him, for him to secure his spot in Formula Nippon.

As Nobuhiko puts on his helmet, I approach him and give him a pat on his shoulder.

Takuma: "You can do this. You can do this. Win or lose, what's important is that you have to please your manager. Put on a show of a lifetime. Of course, you would prefer to be the victor."

Nobuhiko: "I'm nervous. But I won't quit after making it this far! I haven't decided yet, but what I'm focusing right now is to win this for our team. The talks can go on afterwards."

Takuma: "I think you are on a right path of thinking. I agree, do this first for Team Lotus. It's a priority. But, like I said, you have to please Team Castrol as well. So it's one hell of a pressure on you."

Peter approached us as well. I think it's the start.

Peter: "This is it. I'm very proud of you, guys. We haven't gotten this happy in years. It's the final push. Bring back the Lotus name in the world of F1!"

Nobuhiko: "Roger that! I won't let you down, sir!"

Peter: "To ease things up a bit, the organizers allow all the teams to use Launch Control. But you have to mind that our car's gearing is tall, and it would be useful for slipstreaming. So expect to be lagging behind at the start.

It's our small advantage here, especially at the straights. I'm counting on you."

The race begins. Little Nobu can do it. I can feel it.

10471876465_0db285f0eb_c.jpg

By the way, where's that old man Shaw?

Takuma: "Peter, where is Shaw's team?"

Peter: "He decided to retire his team. Besides, even if they decided to run here, win or lose, they won't capture the series championship. And besides, I think his change of heart is the core reason."

10471875675_44eaa947a5_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Scuderia Ferrari is pushing it. But I'm being pressured from behind as well."

10471886116_83dba509f3_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Just like in life, I shouldn't look back. I must focus what's ahead."

10471884854_b419b1a3f4_c.jpg

Go! You know how I hate Ferraris! Tap that one for me!

Nobuhiko: "No mercy, Horsey!"

Though that was premature...

10471873815_8ae1597017_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Dammit... too much."

10471883554_888103c2a5_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "The hairpins really play on this car's strength. Utter concentration is needed here! Just hang on."

There they are! At the main straight! Slingshot your way to the top!

10471882896_936a55711c_c.jpg

Peter: "Excellent overtake. In my calculations, our car could exceed 380 KM/H after the draft. But the brakes are suitable for slowing the car down from those speeds."

10471881846_765a8fc2bf_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "All right! Now I must be in full attack mode. F1 is entirely different from Super GT!"

10471880876_3d8c37c571_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Just keep looking forward. Don't look back. Anything can happen. It's still the middle of the race!"

From what I see, you definitely belong in the Formula Nippon...

End of Page 17

Page 18 - The Circuit Angel

Man, the pressure is on Nobu. I can feel for him, especially when he is about to sign up for Formula Nippon next year.

Focus on winning this one. We can worry about Formula Nippon later on, remember you still are racing for F1!

10488082515_efd63da4eb_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Keep it steady..."

10488093784_a677f72c56_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Whoa! Dammit! This is frustrating..."

10488094004_35750763bd_c.jpg

Protect the lead. You can't afford to be complacent. Anything can happen...

Shoot! He oversteers through the first corner! And he's headed to the sand!

10488092596_691cb3f958_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Shimatta! I screwed up!"

Takuma: "Don't lose your cool. It's okay. Focus is important here."

10488081395_a75407f6be_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Now what?"

10488092884_105f0923a4_c.jpg

Nobuhiko steps on it, and he is able to gain traction while speeding faster than the opponent at the corner.

Nobuhiko: "Here we go!"

And gives his signature tap.

10488092554_c0e7f13ce7_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Bring it, Ferrari punk! I'm serious!"

The two cars are neck-in-neck at the short straight. Then Nobuhiko sees an opening at the next corner.

Nobuhiko: "Okay, let's go!"

10488263533_b133b430c9_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Tennis ball... tennis ball... tennis ball... bounce and volley!"

10488092414_7b3fd10636_c.jpg

All right! He got it back! Just one final push to the victory!

10488091934_71affae774_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "I am..."

10488094434_04ced998e9_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "...The Circuit Angel! I am an angel that came down from heaven... an angel of speed, that is! I shall guide my comrades to victory!"

Yes! We did it! But Peter is way happier! To think Little Nobu brought back the Lotus name in the world of F1!

10488079515_8d6c5117ff_c.jpg

Takuma: "Great job! Now, I'm sure you will race in next year's Formula Nippon because of this."

Nobuhiko: "Yeah, I have decided... I will join. I will be an inspiration for many, to those who wish to enter in Japan's motorsports."

10488089456_eca0c92bb7_c.jpg

Nobuhiko proudly climbs up the podium. And he raises the trophy, high up and glimmering under the sun.

When he came down, I gave him a noogie.

Takuma: "I know you can do it, little shrimp!"

Nobuhiko: "Ahahahahaha! Hey! My hair!"

Takuma: "Sometimes your hair has to get messy once in a while. Ha!"

Peter: "Wonderful job! I cannot thank you enough. On behalf of the entire team, we express our utopia. We finally got we have been yearning for all these years."

Nobuhiko: "I still have a long way to go. But my dedication and effort paid off! I have decided to join my Formula Nippon team. With high hopes on me, I won't let them down for next year's season! Challenges are never-ending, but we should always stand up and conquer them no matter what."

Takuma: "You really are Japan's fastest racer. I am happy to have our Nobuhiko back. The Dream Alliance will never be complete without you."

Yeah... Now we're back in business!

As for me, I have Sato to worry about... This is a far greater challenge.

After a whole night's party, the two of us return to the hotel to recuperate. Before I sleep, I opened my laptop as usual to...

...browse...

...Facebook! What do you think? I'm a family man! Temptations are nothing on me!

Suddenly, Sato once again pops up in my Skype. What does he want this time?

Takuma Sato: "Congratulations. Lotus owes a lot to you, eh?"

Takuma: "We just did what we have to do. To win."

Takuma Sato: "Nice answer. I must say, you are saving up your energy for our duel, huh? Nice."

Takuma: "Of course. You asked to go all-out, right? Then I must conserve for our duel."

Takuma Sato: "We race next week. Is that okay?"

Takuma: "Sure. I do need some practice."

Takuma Sato: "Same name. Same skill... One winner."

I showed a grin on my face.

Takuma: "Bring it on..."

End of Page 18

Page 19 - Round Two

We decided to prolong our stay since I have a duel with Sato. And just three days before that duel, Nobu and I went around to shop for souvenirs.

We returned to the hotel at afternoon to enjoy our late lunch, a take-out bucket of KFC. Mmmmmmm.... finger lickin' good.

My laptop is open, and so does my Skype. Nah, just alert me on whoever wishes to speak.

Nobuhiko: "I missed eating this..."

Takuma: "Isn't there a KFC nearby your parents' home?"

Nobuhiko: "I always forget buying one."

Suddenly, an alert came. And it's none other than my precious twin, Takanori. I accepted it, and he is seeing us eating.

Takanori: "I'm so gonna have that too for next dinner! Well, I'm here to warn you of an impeding storm."

Takuma: "Too bad we cannot transfer pieces of chicken via Skype. But what's that impeding storm you're talking about?"

Takanori: "The Slashers are out and about."

Takuma: "Do I really have to worry about them?"

Takanori: "Of course! With them possessing FIA licenses mean that they have potential! And to think the streets are their playground. They want not just you... but the entire team as well."

Nobuhiko: "Sounds like fun. I've beaten one of them already."

Takanori: "Jintei wants you. And he issued a challenge."

Takuma: "Really? Oh well... I can worry about them later. Now, I have a duel to win."

Takanori: "What?"

Takuma: "Round 2 of Takuma vs. Takuma. Good thing you're not watching it... ha!"

Takanori: "What!? No fair! But it hasn't gotten word here."

Takuma: "Eventually it would reach there."

Takanori: "I wish you the best, Aniki! I know you can beat Sato! You fear no one!"

Takuma: "Thanks for the support, pillow. Oh by the way, your cooking will get burned. Hurry..."

Takanori: "Pillow!? Oh crap! This Sukiyaki is special! Gotta go! See ya soon."

This is it... the main event. We woke up early and immediately head to the track. I am already running after initial set ups are done.

I can feel the tension... and we're the only ones at the track! Well, I could see few people at the bleachers, though.

10513350814_1f0746ccbd_c.jpg

10513311315_77baf801be_c.jpg

10513349014_1927a56d1e_c.jpg

Dammit! Too much! I cannot afford to screw up like this during the race! Equals? You've got to be kidding me! Sato is miles ahead of me in terms of experience!

10513324586_f301f0d8e4_c.jpg

Peter: "You know, why don't you go back to the pits first and have a cup of coffee? You've been running non-stop. Also, Takuma Sato's crew have just arrived."

Now he's here... tension is all over me.

10513347764_a7b2d2a7c0_c.jpg

Takuma: "Roger that. I'm going back."

Peter instructs the crew to change tires. I am observing how Sato's team work. Well, they are spot-on as well.

Takuma Sato: "I cannot give less than my 100% against him."

Nobuhiko notices that I'm too tense. He gives me a pat on the back.

Nobuhiko: "I know how fast he is. But I also know that you can win this."

Takuma: "I cannot give less than my 100% against him."

As usual, the crew asks my preferences...

Takuma: "I need more steering response."

And then at Sato's team...

Takuma Sato: "I need more steering response."

And then finally, we lined our cars at the pit lane. Before we head to the starting grid, the Sato and I faced each other.

Man, I can feel something is repelling me! It's like he's emanating a ferocious aura!

10515664974_3585fa4ca5_c.jpg

Takuma Sato: "So it all comes down to this, huh? I'm not gonna lose."

Takuma: "Round 2 for us, then. Knowing your exploits... I'm not gonna back down."

Takuma Sato: "Man, I can feel something is repelling me! It's like he's emanating a ferocious aura!"

10515647636_00f06b9004_c.jpg

At the starting grid... My hands hold tightly on the steering wheel. This will be the most difficult and most exciting race of my lifetime! I will be racing against a pro in Formula racing!

10513308575_3022b3f86c_c.jpg

Let the 2nd round begin...

End of Page 19

Page 20 - Diving In

This is it... this is going to be one hell of a battle. I am facing Sato, in a game where he's definitely an ace.

Peter starts the countdown... my hands are shaking as I grip the steering wheel. I haven't had this feeling before. I can tell that this is the toughest race in my life.

Peter: "GO!!!"

10533893573_dda31b68fa_c.jpg

Dammit! Even with Launch Control, I messed up! But oddly enough... Sato backed off and allowed me to lead.

10533705404_da506bed0c_c.jpg

Takuma Sato: "Now show me, why you are the stalwart of Japanese motorsports! Or perhaps, the entire racing world!"

At the pits...

Nobuhiko: "Huh? He just let Takuma-san take the lead."

Peter: "Even one can mess up in launch control. Hit the right rpm and expect to take off like a rocket."

Nobuhiko: "But Takuma Sato-san isn't really known in observing his opponents from behind. He just attacks even at the smallest opportunity. Hence his motto - No Attack No Chance."

10533704794_a3063d4af4_c.jpg

Whoa... he is like a shadow stuck behind me! And I can tell that he is making a move everywhere! He has guts to just attack!

10533703474_56a05b0086_c.jpg

He really lives on to his motto! No wonder he never gives up...

Now let's see if you can still attack me!

Takuma Sato: "He increased his pace on the 2nd lap! Now that's what I want to see... we really are similar in every single way."

10533890293_272821cc59_c.jpg

10533668516_f2743aa45e_c.jpg

Takuma Sato: "Now it's my turn."

He's coming! He will attack me anytime! Dammit... where to block him?

10533655195_266111101c_c.jpg

And just as I'm about to block him approaching the first corner, he is really at it! Is he planning to hit me!?

I have to evade!

Takuma Sato: "No Attack! No Chance!"

10533701204_e186521e2e_c.jpg

Heh, you have applied your motto. Whoa... what the!?

10533886953_20373da23d_c.jpg

He's faster through the corners! And I messed up in this corner with understeer.

10533699104_0e33cf3bc3_c.jpg

I'm afraid you are not the only one who has that motto. We are similar, right?

So I attacked...

10533652775_890cfb3540_c.jpg

Takuma Sato: "Heh... wrong timing there..."

Dammit! It's just useless attacking him at the hairpins. Overtaking at the outside is suicidal!

10533650305_80939ac0aa_c.jpg

Oyaji... Otousan... what shall I do???

10533907124_82989264d6_c.jpg

End of Page 20

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- I forgot to change outfits... yeah, you are seeing Nobuhiko's helmet all throughout the duel.

- I decided to use the red aura. Not only it symbolizes power, but also an offset to Sato's blue-striped F1. Red, white, and blue are the colors of his current Indy 500 team.

Page 21 - Exchange of Blows

Time: 5:30 pm

At a mountain pass, a loud roar compliments the bright sunset...

10553342765_e4379f73db_c.jpg

Driving the car is Kaido, and riding with him is Isami Amemiya, the founder of RE Amemiya.

Expected from the wide bodykit and the 50:50 weight distribution, cornering is an ease for this heavily-modified FD.

10553405464_2d4c1c0f79_c.jpg

Ama-san: "You still have the moves."

Kaido: "Don't forget, I was a race car driver until I became a mechanic for Michiharu's team and then finally moving on as a tuner.

The naturally-aspirated 3-rotor engine in this car is responsive. This is much better than a turbo."

Ama-san: "It's built with my own hands. Peripheral-ported, and it's also the same engine used in the GT300-spec FD3S. I also offer it to my customers as well. 380 HP is what this engine makes. But customers intend to reach 650 HP with turbos installed."

10553597193_8e9fde12e6_c.jpg

Ama-san: "What's interesting is that this is Takuma's 3rd FD. But what strikes me is that this is registered under Shinsetsu Kanonji. It will take effect though, when he reaches 18."

Kaido: "So this is owned by a 1-year old baby, huh? What is Takuma planning? An early retirement?"

Ama-san: "Beats me. But what I know is that he'll be using this against The Slashers in Touge matches."

Kaido: "And I love this thing devouring the corners. No wonder Takuma loves Rotaries..."

10553404634_f03b359592_c.jpg

Kaido: "Takuma can just handle anything thrown at him. He's not the type of person giving up, and he's not scared of whoever he is facing with. And even he only shows respect to few people who truly gained his respect."

10553596493_0305a1814a_c.jpg

**************************************************************************************

Damn... I'm running out of options. Waiting for him to make a mistake is useless!

10553350085_b3f9e29883_c.jpg

Aha! Speaking of which, you're wide open! No Attack No Chance!

10553604873_4aa24a73fa_c.jpg

Even with the smallest opening, it's a chance! Sato and I share the same philosophy....

10553411954_e21898ec74_c.jpg

Takuma Sato: "Impressive... you used that small opening of mine. You did not hesitate."

10553603183_d68f605682_c.jpg

Dammit! I braked too much! I lost the lead again! Obviously, he knows this track a lot more than I do!

10553369216_d3f23e3fc6_c.jpg

And he's rocketing away... But as long as this race lingers, there's plenty of chances!

I braked late. Good, I shortened the gap!

10553346095_7116bce61d_c.jpg

10553601143_9426038bde_c.jpg

Takuma Sato: "This is so thrilling. This the best battle I've ever had! If you race in Indy 500, I would definitely have a hard time!"

10553601233_9691bb2b6c_c.jpg

At this long corner, I'm faster! All right! I'll show no mercy!

10553366766_0b03cc1083_c.jpg

10553418744_ab4b843741_c.jpg

Takuma Sato: "You really fight till the end... No wonder you are always moving up."

Next corner... I'll push it!

10553343955_4b8e494926_c.jpg

Crap!!! I accelerated early! I'm losing control! Damn... my eagerness to beat Sato cost me!

10553344075_80692ed92e_c.jpg

10553598383_9237f7680e_c.jpg

Takuma Sato: "Man... you really are incredible. I admit... you pushed me this hard."

10553413384_33c0a605be_c.jpg

You win Round 2, Sato. I gotta hand it to you. I still have a lot to learn...

We decided to end the race, since I won't have any chance of catching Sato, anyway. We returned to the pits. Sato and I had a fist bump.

Takuma: "Great race there. This is the best I have, ever."

Takuma Sato: "Me too. If you are my opponent in Indy 500, I would have a very hard time."

Takuma: "Thank you, Sato..."

Takuma Sato: "Why thank me?"

Takuma: "This is a learning experience. A loss isn't something so bad, you know? One must use their defeat to make one stronger. We learn from our mistakes and come back as a better person. I admit I still have a lot to learn, but this race is more than just a lecture."

We part ways, but Sato stops and yells something before he leaves.

Takuma Sato: "I'm up for Round 3!"

Heh... all right then. When I return, I'll definitely give you a hard time!

Nobuhiko: "Hey... are you okay?"

Takuma: "Silly... of course! I'm really happy that I learned a lot from this race. And once I've toughened up, I'll make a comeback, and this time I won't lose to Sato!"

Peter: "I'm sure this will be helpful should you decide to participate in the next season."

Takuma: "Indeed, but for now, I have to return home. I will devote myself in my training."

The End

Author's Notes:

- The next book will be out tomorrow. It's titled "The Slashers". It is somehow a crossover of GT5 and Tokyo Xtreme Racer series, with the opponents from the latter.

Back