Formula One 2011 Airtel Grand Prix of India

I hope so. Imagine if they make a mistake and hit the kerb with the floor and not just a tyre.

That would hurt, a bit like when you fall on you coccyx, and you get that weird pain and struggle for breath!

Mind you, I also dislike this F1-confined notion that running off the outside of a corner (making it faster) isn't gaining an advantage, giving us the spectacles of cars being several yards off the track at La Source and Albert Park turn 4.

I wonder if the FIA regulates the width of the rumble strip, I know that its width depends on the kind of corner that is before it but in some places it does need regulation.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the FIA regulates such thing, however It should be regulated(or in the case there are regulations these should be changed), to create more competence for racelines(but it might cause crashes).

Wholly correct on one part, massively, massively incorrect on the other.

So which is it! I do hope it's the rulebook!

I like the Lewis Hamilton section, some of my favourites being,

Paragraph 2-e(iv) - The stewards will award a penalty whenever Lewis Hamilton enters the track.
Paragraph 2-e(v) - The stewards will award a penalty if any driver fails to smile throughout the race weekend.

Also - Paragraph 9-b - Mark Webber will be awarded a penalty unless he loses at least 3 positions on the start.

Last edited:
Centura
Anyone else think the race was dull because of Pirelli's tyre choice?

You can't blame Pirelli. They had no idea what the track would be like, so they had to cover for all situations.

I think Rowan sums up this race quite well.

2wgsqgz.gif

You can't blame Pirelli. They had no idea what the track would be like, so they had to cover for all situations.

Of course. I completely understand and respect their decision, but what if...

EDIT: What if... they took Super Soft and Soft to this race. I bet we would have had a great race then.

I like the track and it seems drivers also enjoyed it with undulation changes and nice corners. But there was not much overtakings. I think it is because of dirty track and tryes. They only manage to get it ready at the last moment and it was obviously rushed. Next year hopefully it will be better because the track is really good

I see Bruno Senna has had yet another bad race. There drivers around him - di Resta, Perez and Petrov - went for a reverse strategy, and made it work. Senna got hung out to dry when he was forced to make his final stop three laps from the end.

And it's not just an isolated episode: Senna has been thoroughly underwhelming for a few races now.

- In Belgium, he started 7th, but made a stupid mistake at the first corner and finished 13th. Vitaly Petrov started 10th and scored points in 9th.
- In Italy, he started 10th and finished 9th, which is his best result to date. But even then, Petrov had been faster all weekend (he qualified 7th) before Liuzzi took him out.
- In Singapore, he started 15th and finished 15th. Petrov started 18th and finished 17th. Given the sharp downturn in performance, Renault were simply nowhere in Singapore (they got Reject of the Race then).
- In Japan, Senna started 9th and finished 16th. Petrov started 10th and scored more points.
- In Korea, Senna started 15th and finished 13th. Petrov started 8th, and although he crashed out, he was still faster than Senna at the time.
- And now, in India, Senna started 14th and finished 12th. Petrov had set a time quick enough for the top ten in qualifying, started 16th after his penalty, and finished 11th.

In short, Petrov is getting more out of the car than Senna. He is making strategies work when Senna isn't, he is qualifying in the top ten when the top ten is possible, and has scored twice as many points as Senna since Senna first got into the car.

No doubt Peter. will be in here in a few minutes, complaining about how Senna's poor performance is the team's fault because they gave him a bad strategy and talking about how Senna really is talented, but everyone around him is constantly letting him down.

Senna is talented, is he talented enough? Hard to know, obviously his late/delayed starting with the sport and lack of time in the car plays against him, but he does appear to lack the fire and sparkle you would expect from a future F1 star. His qualifying at Spa was really good, I think Senna needs more time to really get into the swing of things, people can't imagine how hard it must be.

Currently though, I don't expect him to get that chance based on his performances this year, he might blag a drive if Kubica isnt ready, but then the team might look elsewhere for their second driver.

Finally got around to the highlights. Didn't realize it was a 3:30am start here this morning. Anyway, saw yet ANOTHER Massa/Hamilton incident... bye, Felipe. Please, leave the team. Both drivers seemed to have a degree of stupidity there again, but at least Lewis seems to understand how much he is screwing up.

Senna has potential, but there are better drivers out there looking for that seat. He's doing no worse than Petrov was doing last year. I don't really count Senna's experience in the HRT as wholly valid as it was a terrible car.

If Kubica isn't ready to come back I think Jean-Eric Vergne would be a better choice for next year (Or possibly Sutil if he leaves Force India and the William's seat is taken). Red Bull and Renault (As in the manufacturer/engine supplier, not the team) would probably try and get him in this seat. Grosjean is another possibility but we saw what happened last time they put him in a seat.

There is a thread for this, so i'll add something on what I think of Senna's performances rather than focusing on his race seat;

I think the car is very inconsistent at different circuits and different parts of certain tracks. They are good in the high speed corners but very poor in low speed. I feel that the car isn't great. In India Renault were battling Force India, Sauber and Torro Rosso and they were struggling for straighline speed and grip in certain parts of the track. Looking at the characteristics of the car, it should have been strong here, they should have been battling Mercedes, but they were way back. I think the car just isn't up to it. But his performance in relation to Petrov (Who I generally don't regard as that good, for an F1 driver that is) shows that he is maybe not up to the job, and is still suffering from lack of karting in his teens.

Last edited:
Worth remembering about Senna that even though he's not pulling in the points, he's still racing well (mistakes aside) and he's making more of an impression on the grid than Heidfeld was which, in the absence of Kubica, is the best Renault can hope for.

I think Senna has potential. I've enjoyed watching him race so far, and I think he deserves a little more time before he's written off completely.

I was delighted to see Massa getting a penalty yesterday.... granted, Lewis should know by now that Massa does not have the maturity, the brain or the skill to avoid causing an accident like yesterday, but there must come a time when Massa realises that moves like that are monumentally stupid. All things considered, Massa has had an appalling season, and yesterday was an embarrassing new low for him.

Otherwise, it was a decent race, and the new circuit is a winner - although the venue itself is not particularly inspiring, but the track certainly seemed to impress pretty much everyone.

I was very surprised to see the decision go Hamilton's way. Massa contradicted himself after the incident though, first saying that he didn't see Hamilton after the braking point, and then saying that he saw him...

It doesn't matter how Hamilton attempts to pass people, be it around the outside or a dive up the inside, he is made to be the guilty party everytime something happens. Webber not getting a penalty at Singapore last year confused me at the time, but looking back now it was far worse than most of Hamilton's attempts this year.

Has there been anything said about Hamilton's lack of race pace? Qualified second and then struggled to keep up with the Ferrari's before requiring the extra stop for the wing.... Wondering if the wing blockage from Korea struck again.

Worth remembering about Senna that even though he's not pulling in the points, he's still racing well (mistakes aside) and he's making more of an impression on the grid than Heidfeld was which, in the absence of Kubica, is the best Renault can hope for.

I think Senna has potential. I've enjoyed watching him race so far, and I think he deserves a little more time before he's written off completely.

If he was any good at all he would have delivered the goods in the Renault and dominated his teammate just as Kubica did. He hasn't therefore he isn't good enough.

Hell he was consistently finishing behind Chandhok (7-2) in their time together at HRT and Klein was much faster than him as well

He has a name and Brazilian bank money and that is it.

Chandhok is better than Petrov? :sly:

I'm not saying that.:) You can only beat your teammate. He's the only one you can be directly matched against and Senna has not beaten or dominated any of his teammates. He is the very definition of ordinary.

I don't really see why Renault felt the need to drop Heidfeld. His driving was pretty equal to Petrov's, he got a podium, and they were tied on points after his final race.

Because they felt he needed to be beating Petrov every race, the same way Kubica would be if he didn't take an armco through the hand. I hope to god Bobby makes it back.

Because they felt he needed to be beating Petrov every race, the same way Kubica would be if he didn't take an armco through the hand. I hope to god Bobby makes it back.

If him and God forbid Raikkonen return next year, we'll probably have the strongest grid in Grand Prix history.

Quite possibly. Massa will be wondering what the hell happened since 2008 when he finds himself the 8th best driver on the grid rather than first or second.

Quite possibly. Massa will be wondering what the hell happened since 2008 when he finds himself the 8th best driver on the grid rather than first or second.

A couple of things spring to mind... not least Alonso's arrival at Ferrari.

Back