Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)

• Thread starter joe8
  • 363 comments
I just had to give more testimony. I remember someone said they felt dizzy after playing the game because of the sensation of speed. I thought it was a bunch of crap, but it's true. After moving my chair closer to the TV and playing for 2 hours I felt a little dizzy. This has happened the past couple of times I played. That behind-the-driver cam is so good at portraying speed. The driving is this game is probably more fun than Gran Turismo. I never thought I'd live to say those words.

Extras: When the cars are waiting for the start you can see the heat ripples coming off of them. I clicked my rear view cam and sure enough my view was altered by the heat coming off of my motor. When the race starts the heat from all the cars in front of you slowly dicipates and you pass right through it. Very cool.

I also can confirm the sense of speed as well. Last night I gave it another go and just did a quick race with qualifying laps etc. Got PP and raced like champ. It helps having damage off where it will remain until I get used to the driving. I found that I'm not quite ready for the career mode yet. :)

The real game offers:

Car setups, lap strategies, pitting functions, qualifying races, practice laps, Evolved auto setups (you run your practice laps and the setup adjusts according to your driving style I think...), career mode where you try out for different teams and go through the calendar of trial and championship modes, online support. I'm sure there's more I'm missing, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Pako, what's your fastest time on Monza? I just started on this course and after almost 2 hours I can't get better than 1'23.7. I was using a Ferrari. How 'bout you?

Pako, what's your fastest time on Monza? I just started on this course and after almost 2 hours I can't get better than 1'23.7. I was using a Ferrari. How 'bout you?

Man, not sure....I'll have to check it out tonight.

Edited:

I just tried a few laps before dinner and wow....1'23 is awesome! I was in the 1'30-'31's. Were you in single player mode? I wonder if the different modes gives access to different performing cars..., I have no idea. Anyways...off to eat, nice lap times.

I was in Time Trial. I bet I can beat it tomorrow. That's how it is with me and racing games. I race until I get frustrated, take a break for a day or so, then I destroy my old lap times. That's how it was with Indy. I couldn't beat 1'11.3 after countless laps. The next day I got 1'10.9 without even realizing it.

I bought mine and should be here by thursdaylatest, in demo, fastest on monza was 123.6xx wonder if it is same with realgame, i look forward to playing online with this!

I posted 1'23.5 on Monza. I'm pleased with that for now. Now I'm on working on Melbourne. What a hard track to master. I can't get better than 1'28.0 and it's really pissing me off.

i'm addicted to Career mode! I've played an entire season on Medium and worked my way up from Aguri tester to 2nd seat to 1st seat to Midland 1st seat and now Red Bull 1st seat. So satisfying to be moving up in the F1 food chain. Plus the Red Bull is actually competitive.

👍 Sounds great once you get into it...

Approx. how long do you spend on the 'non' racing' side of each race? (i.e. car set-up, tuning, practice, testing etc.) and how long is each race? And, by extension, how long does it take to successfully complete a whole season (i.e. a season that results in you getting a better drive for the next season?)

i'm addicted to Career mode! I've played an entire season on Medium and worked my way up from Aguri tester to 2nd seat to 1st seat to Midland 1st seat and now Red Bull 1st seat. So satisfying to be moving up in the F1 food chain. Plus the Red Bull is actually competitive.

Nice!! Yeah, I like career mode as well. Are you running it on Easy, Medium or Hard? I started it last night on Easy and its too easy... won the first two gp's in the Aguri!! :crazy:

I like doing the Evolution part of the gp, its pretty fun to "run" the car in and get it setup.

BTW, superb16 I got a 1'26".594 at Monza last night after 4 laps... got late and had to get some sleep [frickin' frackin' work!].
💡 Do you guys want to try and set a time to get together and race... or we could start a Competition thread. Do like a track to do hot laps and we all pick a driver to use... Let me know what you think.

I'm playing on Medium and it is significantly harder than Easy. The step up to Medium is really steep but doable with some diligence. At least that's how I felt but I may not be as skilled considering I've been only able to manage a 1:28:879 at Monza (then again it was with a Midland and I haven't spent a tremendous amount of time on the track).

As for the non-racing side of the game: As a tester, all you do is midweek testing. Usually that involves doing about 3 laps in which you have to achieve a certain time or you fail and it hurts your chance to get a race seat. When you actually get a race seat, you generally don't do mid-week testing, but you do have GP weekend practice sessions. There's 2 60 minute Friday sessions in which the Race Car Evolution system will help you setup your car for the track and your particular driving style. You obviously don't have to use both sessions. I've found a particular setup that suits my driving style so I just manually set my car up every GP with the same settings and tweak them a bit for each track so that I don't have to spend very long in practice sessions at all. Then you can choose to use the Saturday practice time if you wish. Then there's qualifying. I usually end up doing 2 laps per qualifying session, so if I make through all three knockout rounds, I spend about 15 minutes. Finally, there's the actual race. You can choose the length of the races (3 laps, 10%, 20%, etc). I run 10% race distance which is usually 6-7 laps so a race takes about 15 minutes. So with 10 minutes of practice, a race weekend takes up 40 minutes. But i usually crash out of races a couple of times, so i end up having to restart from the qualifying session on, which is a bit annoying. So I spend 1-2 hours a GP weekend depending on how many times I'm willing to restart. So a season can take a while, but you can get offers to change teams throughout the season, so you're never stuck in a car for too long (if you're good enough).

Anyone use a DFP on this game? and if yes, how is it ? thanks in advance... I am asking because I only have the demo atm, my game got shipped out today and should be here no later than thursday I hope!

My first impression of the game, overall, is that it's fantastic. I play medium and hard mode and it's really got good physics compared to gt4, especially acceleration and braking. Hopefully, gt5 will incorporate some of these improvements.

I tried some online play last night. What a blast! This is still a very young game and everyone is just getting up to speed but it's really fun racing against others. One problem I saw was when I got punted at a turn, it penalized me for some reason thinking I was at fault even though I was the one who got punted. I think it might be perceiving me as trying to cheat by running through a shortcut or something.

I was racing against 5-10 others and there were two guys who were really quick. I had to do everything I could think of to stay up with them and it shows how far I have to go. I thought I was pretty quick but these two guys make me feel like I'm slow. Online play is what really gives you a sense of how good you really are, akin to the license tests in gt4. Racing against AI just doesn't cut it. You can always outbrake the AI and gain an advantage. You can't outbrake someone who is really quick, though.

Anyone use a DFP on this game? and if yes, how is it ? thanks in advance... I am asking because I only have the demo atm, my game got shipped out today and should be here no later than thursday I hope!

I have a G25, but I think you'll be alright with a DFP. It may be a little easier to use than the G25 at first. The DFP has more resistance so you'll be able to be a little more precise.

Thought I'd offer some info on the classic F1 cars that are in the game:

???? Cooper Climax

Could be a 1959 T51, as that was Cooper's most famous car, and won both the constructor's and driver's championships in '59 and '60. However, I’ve never seen one with that additional air scoop along the left side of the hood, and the late great Jack Brabham never drove a #34 car and I can't think off hand who did.

1973 Lotus 72E
  • Team: John Player Team Lotus
  • Driver: Ronnie Peterson
  • Engine: Ford Cos. DFV 3.0 V8
1978 Renault RS01
  • Team: Equipe Renault Elf
  • Driver: Jean-Pierre Jabouille
  • Engine: Renault 1.5 V6T
There are other classic F1 cars, but I have not unlocked them so I can't confirm which ones they are for sure, but supposedly they are at least two Williams cars, one from the 80's and one from the 90's.

I just watched the review Gametrailers gave for F1 CE. What a bunch of morons! They didn't like it because it was too hard! Oh boo-hoo! Twonks...

After playing the game and experiencing the physics, detail and relevance, I'm convinced that this one is a winner, especially since it's version 1. Too many sites have reviews based on players who prefer Zelda or Mario so it's no wonder that they don't appreciate F1. There are some warts but I'm sure that version 2 will be much better, whenever that happens.

This game is not too hard. It's about perfect in terms of difficulty. Not so difficult that it becomes unusable like the old GP Legends which is a total joke. This one allows for changing the difficulty level so that makes it much more acceptable, even to newbs.

I just watched the review Gametrailers gave for F1 CE. What a bunch of morons! They didn't like it because it was too hard! Oh boo-hoo! Twonks...

After playing the game and experiencing the physics, detail and relevance, I'm convinced that this one is a winner, especially since it's version 1. Too many sites have reviews based on players who prefer Zelda or Mario so it's no wonder that they don't appreciate F1. There are some warts but I'm sure that version 2 will be much better, whenever that happens.

This game is not too hard. It's about perfect in terms of difficulty. Not so difficult that it becomes unusable like the old GP Legends which is a total joke. This one allows for changing the difficulty level so that makes it much more acceptable, even to newbs.

I think it may actually be a little too hard for those who haven't played some GT3 or some other console sim. It may be okay for them with the aids turned on though. I don't know, I've never used any of them.

Semi off-topic: I may be going to the USGP this year! :sly:

You may have a point. Based on the thousands of A-Spec hours I've spent from GT through GT4 and GTHD, I played my little nephews in Mario Carts after never having seen the game before and never playing on a Nintendo and I beat them on my first try. They claimed it's because I spend so much time playing GT and I know how to "drive" the cars so well.

If you've never been to F1 before, be prepared for a real treat. The first thing that jumps out at you is how loud they are. Be sure to take ear protection in the form of foam earplugs. People sell them there and rip you off. Buy them at home at Wal-Mart and save a bunch of money. The second thing that jumps out is how quick they are, even compared to Indycars which are considerably heavier and far more quiet because of the turbos.

You will never forget your first F1 race.

I think it may actually be a little too hard for those who haven't played some GT3 or some other console sim. It may be okay for them with the aids turned on though. I don't know, I've never used any of them.
Semi off-topic: I may be going to the USGP this year! :sly:

Actually, the 2005 USGP was extremely similar to Gran Turismo, given that there was only 6 cars in the race!

I must admit, I'm swithering now as to whether I should buy this game... I have it pre-ordered from Amazon, but I'm tempted to change the order for a different launch title game. I've been blown away by trailers of some other games and fear that this F1 game may disappoint, particularly since I am so used to the realism offered by Gran Turismo (and given the fact that I'll have GT:HD to occupy myself with for a bit too...)

I also have to bear in mind that my game-playing time is sadly becoming more and more of a precious commodity, and from what I've heard so far, it seems that you really need to commit alot of time to get the real benefit out of this game... (Career Mode atleast)... plus, even though it sounds silly, the absence of Spa is a major disappointment for me. I spend nigh on 50% of my 'quick-play' time on GT4 on the Nurburgring, and I simply can't imagine the game without this key circuit. Spa is the same for F1... it's my favourite circuit by a country mile!!

If the trailers are influencing you, then cancel your order. You will be disappointed. What impresses me is the physics. I could care less about the details in the trailers. I only care about the game play and my assessment has been based solely on the game play and not the detail in the trailers.

Actually, the 2005 USGP was extremely similar to Gran Turismo, given that there was only 6 cars in the race!

I must admit, I'm swithering now as to whether I should buy this game... I have it pre-ordered from Amazon, but I'm tempted to change the order for a different launch title game. I've been blown away by trailers of some other games and fear that this F1 game may disappoint, particularly since I am so used to the realism offered by Gran Turismo (and given the fact that I'll have GT:HD to occupy myself with for a bit too...)

I also have to bear in mind that my game-playing time is sadly becoming more and more of a precious commodity, and from what I've heard so far, it seems that you really need to commit alot of time to get the real benefit out of this game... (Career Mode atleast)... plus, even though it sounds silly, the absence of Spa is a major disappointment for me. I spend nigh on 50% of my 'quick-play' time on GT4 on the Nurburgring, and I simply can't imagine the game without this key circuit. Spa is the same for F1... it's my favourite circuit by a country mile!!

I also have to bear in mind that my game-playing time is sadly becoming more and more of a precious commodity, and from what I've heard so far, it seems that you really need to commit alot of time to get the real benefit out of this game... (Career Mode atleast)...
I had the opposite impression, as you have access to just about everything important in the game right away, and the VERY wide range in driver aids and dificulty settings allows even the most unskilled novice driver to at least be somewhat competitve without feeling overwhelmed - while at the same time, the settings can be adjusted so that even the most tallented, dedicated hardcore F1 sim driver will be challenged.

I do like though that the game also offers a very wide variety of gameplay, so that for those that are hardcore gamers, it will offer an almost unlimted amount of hours for those that have the time to take on career mode, and for those obsessive on fine tuning their car setups.

plus, even though it sounds silly, the absence of Spa is a major disappointment for me. I spend nigh on 50% of my 'quick-play' time on GT4 on the Nurburgring, and I simply can't imagine the game without this key circuit. Spa is the same for F1... it's my favourite circuit by a country mile!!
The game is based entirely on the 2006 F1 season... and just like in 2003, there was so Belgian Grand Prix in 2006, so no Spa circuit... but I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out that Spa is a hidden extra that must be unlocked, just as it is with Jerez (former Spanish Grand Prix circuit), and some of the classic F1 cars.

If the trailers are influencing you, then cancel your order. You will be disappointed.
:confused:

The game is MUCH better than the trailer even hints at, and is infintely better than the pathetic demo... so I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to say.

I'll happily go on the record as saying that I am a fan of F1 & F1 games, and still have several versions for PC and PS2, and F1CE is without any doubt the best F1 game I have ever played or owned. 👍👍

Good points, D-N. I have to say, I'm probably just being overly picky, since I don't intend to buy many games, not right now anyway, so want to make some good choices. That's good to hear that you can get a good race out of it without having to go through the whole career mode debacle. Basically, I know that GT:HD cannot possibly have enough to it to keep me interested for too long. It's been a while since I've owned an F1 game (never got one for the PS2) so it might make a nice return to old habits! Considering that just about every other launch game is an FPS, or a rehash of a PS2 game I already have, there is definitely a vacancy for an F1 sim.

What I was trying to say is that the trailer is very spectacular. The WOW factor is huge, at least from my perspective. The game play does not have that level of graphical detail at all. The number of polygons that can be pushed in real time is just not close to what can be rendered for a trailer or even a replay.

The guts of the game is the playing and physics which I think F1 excels at. The online play is also a huge bonus. But, if you're more into pizazz, sparkle and shine, then I'm sure disappointment will be there. I have a friend who criticized the game because the trailer looked far better. That was my point.

:confused:

The game is MUCH better than the trailer even hints at, and is infintely better than the pathetic demo... so I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to say.

I'll happily go on the record as saying that I am a fan of F1 & F1 games, and still have several versions for PC and PS2, and F1CE is without any doubt the best F1 game I have ever played or owned. 👍👍

The online play is really new and different for racing sims. Reminds me of how cool it was to play half-life online. You're playing against real people, not an AI and that's the cool part.

Right now, I just want to learn all of the tracks which I think are more drivable than GT4 and therefore more enjoyable. And, I don't mean drivable in an "easy to drive" way, either. It just seems that the level of detail in the track surface, berms, rumble strips, etc. is far superior to GT4.
Good points, D-N. I have to say, I'm probably just being overly picky, since I don't intend to buy many games, not right now anyway, so want to make some good choices. That's good to hear that you can get a good race out of it without having to go through the whole career mode debacle. Basically, I know that GT:HD cannot possibly have enough to it to keep me interested for too long. It's been a while since I've owned an F1 game (never got one for the PS2) so it might make a nice return to old habits! Considering that just about every other launch game is an FPS, or a rehash of a PS2 game I already have, there is definitely a vacancy for an F1 sim.

With the Sony vs. Immersion lawsuit settled, I'm hoping that we'll get a patch to allow force feedback for our wheels in F1. Has anyone heard any news??

PAL RETAIL BUILD REVIEW

- it is best F1 game I have ever played (and I've played them all I guess),
- driving model (all assists OFF) is the most sophisticated (AKA best) in the series history,
- algorythms for tyre wear and fuel consuption are exceptional - you take your car through "Car Evolution" process in Careeer or World Championship modes to gain some experience in handilng under different conditions of tyre and fuel. You can choose the way wear&consuption are represented - scaled or real - depending of the percentage of race length,
- AI for other drivers is much better then ever before. They brake better and you have no fear of having them smacked on your back after the straight. However, I still do not like "hard" AI setting, since they drive like a bunch of suicidal maniacs on amfetamins. "Normal" remains my favourite mode at this moment,
- supports FFB in 240 degree mode with only one lamp (motor) on - as in GT3. However, FFB is weak, but it's there,
- graphics and sounds are amazing, but we knew that from preview builds,
- Time Trilas with Bronze, Silver and Gold "gears" are one hell-of-a-challenge - and probably the feature I like the most at the moment (especialy because you drive it in different time-of-the-day setting then in "official" modes). You can grab Bronze with some effort, Silver is a hard-work which involves precise-set-up a Ferrari or Renault for each course, while Gold is pretty much still impossible,
- car set-up feels more sophisticated then ever in series althogh it remains in familiar settings - minor tweaks can do a big difference and I finally like what I can do with my Mechanical-skills in the field of precise set-up,
- Career Mode is still my favourite mode,
- game even supports tilt function of Sixaxis for steeering which works better then I've expected. It's not suitable for serious driving, but if one takes a time to train it, good results can be done I guess,
- you can choose to be a female driver if you like :),
- you can't choose Croatia as your country of origin :(,
- Trophy Room is a nice penthouse apartment with car-and-trophys-showroom for wallk around,
- Jerez track can be unlocked as a bonus.

Only downfall is forcing the above-the-helmet view. It is pretty much impossible to drive from in-cockpit, since you can't properly see the track at all and real distance from other cars can't be percepted. Full-screen view is also not my favourite, while out-of-car is out-of-the-question. New side-view looks nice but it it's not intended for driving at all. If you can live with view above the helmet, then this is F1 game pretty much to die for.

It is a great game; while I have to be honest to say it has no major gameplay evolutions from the past games (like new game modes and so on), this game delivers best AI in the series ever, beautiful driving model and impressive visuals - which together works as a respectfull premium package. I do not hope they will add "use-PSP-for-rear-view-mirror" functionality as a download - since 2007 F1 game should be at the hard works right now and will probably have it first - but this driving model and FFB functions should do good for online multiplayer racing in next few months.

Multiplayer impressions coming soon, and I hope we'll see each other soon on the Bahrain straight :).

Back