Formula One Eni Magyar Nagydij 2011

Well, 8 races left and and 85 point gap. Title race is over, but as long as the racing continues to be like this, one can't argue.

Button may have won, but my driver of the day - Di Resta 👍 Nice tidy drive for 7th.

That man S.Vettel, just keeps on extending his lead!

Cool, never seen trophies made from wicker before. Alonso's looks like it's been on fire already.

So, the big question now... Practice rounds for the caption contest? Lots of pictures to pick from this week, surely...

I mean, it's going to be boring having no races to make live commentary and summations for... :lol:

Yes SPEED channel, lets cut F1 post-race coverage short because we can't interrupt NASCAR pre-pre-race coverage. :rolleyes:

TWO HOURS of pre-race coverage. Couldn't sacrifice 15 min.

Great race, absolutely loved to see JB take his 200th. Also, apparently he's the only driver to win in the wet in Hungary. And Hamilton certainly put in a great drive to take 4th after that horrible call for inters and the drive through.

But as said, props to Di Resta. Showing a lot of potential for a great future in F1. 👍

It will be the most boring race of the season. In the first corner it will be Vettel, Hamilton and Button, in that order, and that will also be the end result. There will not be a single pass in the top five during the entire race apart from Alonso taking Massa at the start.

It's almost uncanny how close I was in my predictions.

Di Rsta has had a terrific weekend... Just missing out on Q3 by a sliver, then driving a great race to get around a lot of arguably superior cars... Granted, that Force India is now a very competent machine, but in these sort of conditions, a lot of it is down to the driver.

One of the main talking points of this race will be Nick's retirement, both due to the nature of the failure and the way it was handled. I will not be surprised if the FIA raises a stink over that innovative exhaust... Maybe even banning it by next season.

Alex Yoong on STAR has a good point about Button... He really is a more aggressive racer than people give him credit for... Look at all the passing he did to gain that win... on Vettel... on Hamilton... Yes, one was enabled by a mistake and the other by tires, but he really had to push to make them stick. This makes him doubly deserving of that win.

He would still have had a pit advantage if Lewis hadn't spun. Lewis still would have had to pit for his primes then catch Button. Lewis would have had Vettel, but that would have been the only sure thing for Hamilton.

I was surprised about that "explosive" car...

It actually hammered the marshall that was walking on the wrong side when it exploded!

It's almost uncanny how close I was in my predictions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: See? Reverse psychology definitely works.

---

High pressure hydraulic reservoir in that side pod, apparently... Which is why it's possible that the FIA will ban that exhaust... If not by the next race, by next season.

Jenson - very well done race. Just drove a cool race, well done to him for the win.
Vettel - never seemed to recover from his struggle at the start.
Alonso - better stopping strategy over Webber, good job for him to get to 3rd.
Hamilton - scuffed his race with the wrong tyre choice. I never knew what the penalty was...Croatia isn't terrible with ads but I never knew why he got the penalty. I think I heard it was coming but still...grr. So it was something to do with di Resta, right?
Webber - just hasn't been on it this weekend...out pitted by Alonso and out done by Hamilton.
Massa - did OK after the spin but just got lost after Webber and Hammy passed him.
Di Resta - very well done to him.
Buemi - 23rd to 8th. Need I say any more? Driver of the day for me, not driver of the day for anyone else.
Rosberg - started well, then dropped back. What happened to him?
Alguersuari - still on form. Good on him, still not expecting Force India to be beaten now, even if Renault are now going nowhere fast.

There's my overview of the points positions.

And tonight on GTPlanet arguments...is Vettel good enough in the rain? The thread EXPLODES as we try to find out :lol:

^Well I think Vettel is good in the rain but Button has proven again that he's better in these track conditions. I'm talking out of my a** but that's my opinion for now.

I couldn't keep up with how many pit stops there were(they said 88) but I had to look at the infographics on the screen every 5 seconds to see who was where on the circuit.

I would have liked to see Mark Webber on the podium but alas. Vettel somehow made it again. Alonso with a few mistakes but still finishes manages third. Bad luck for Lewis but I think there were some team radio issues there. Mercedes are definitely looking good though.

looked like di resta would have had to go wide anyway to avoid hamilton, harsh decision.

From Hamilton's cockpit view he looked awfully close to hitting Di Resta, actually quite scary. I'm glad there are no hard feelings between the two. Great professionals drivers.

Last edited:
Vettel is good enough in the rain. Granted, Hamilton (1st stint) and Button were superbly fast but it's not like Vettel was a tourtoise, as proven with a second place result.

My thoughts on today, bearing in mind that I missed the middle of the race to have lunch.

a) Congrats Jenson. Proving once again that with changeable conditions, there's not another guy on the grid who can stick with him, and those that do invariably make mistakes.

b) Great, clean, exciting racing between the two McLarens. See that Horner? Well? WELL?

c) Vettel obviously quick, but still doing nothing to quell the suspicion that unless he's basically miles in the lead, he's a little out of his depth.

d) Undecided on Hamilton's recovery in front of di Resta. Was a bit daft, but then if Hamilton hadn't moved in the way he did, the two cars in front of di Resta would have had to drive off the road instead. At least it wasn't a blind corner.

e) I'm warming to Alonso, slowly but surely. A few years of not being top dog seems to have mellowed him, in the same way Schumacher became less of a smug arse when he had to pull Ferrari back to the front of the grid. By the end of the season I may even end up liking Alonso :scared:

d) Undecided on Hamilton's recovery in front of di Resta. Was a bit daft, but then if Hamilton hadn't moved in the way he did, the two cars in front of di Resta would have had to drive off the road instead. At least it wasn't a blind corner.

Agreed that they would have had to taken avoiding action, but a stationary object is easier to avoid then one that is doughnutting on the exit of a chicane.

Well, when it comes to race strategy Button can hold master classes. Well done also by Vettel to keep relatively cool and run a "good points" race. Even managed to make an overtake (on Alonso of all people). Alonso himself found himself on the wrong end of action the first half of the race and it was his own doing for pushing a bit to hard to get to the top three. I have a feeling that had he not had that moment after turn one where both Mercedes' went by he could well have been in contention for the win today but, as I said, it was his own fault.

Agreed that they would have had to taken avoiding action, but a stationary object is easier to avoid then one that is doughnutting on the exit of a chicane.

True. di Resta himself said he had plenty of time to react, however. It wasn't a smart move by Hamilton necessarily but when you've just spun from the lead it's understandable that you might have a bit of tunnel vision.

True. di Resta himself said he had plenty of time to react, however. It wasn't a smart move by Hamilton necessarily but when you've just spun from the lead it's understandable that you might have a bit of tunnel vision.

Exactly, you would just want to be getting back on with it, not sat there like a lemon.

Great point. You wont say.. "alright, I'm lapping you and I'm sideways. I should be losing time from 1st to clear you then spin round"

Fantastic drive from Paul, apart from the McLaren guys he's my fav driver.

All teams do this, why do people have such a problem with the leading team doing it? They're not purposefully sabotaging Webber, they're giving both cars every performance advantage they can get and if it so happens that only one car can get the upgrade, they are doing the right thing.

Because Mark's a popular guy. And he's a bit of a sly one when it comes to the press. I can understand why the team would favour Vettel. He has beaten Mark over their two and a half seasons as team mates.

Your post is a good one apart from this. Nobody cares if he broke it or it collapsed.

It's posts like this that surprise me that you are a moderator. I was simply stating the facts.

Ferrari mess up Massa's stop AGAIN.

It's getting so tiresome. I know Alonso is their clear leader, but at least give the other guy a chance. Felipe isn't doing himself any favours though. He should use the press to his advantage like Webber. He seems content to play second fiddle and remain happy,

Oh look, a Dacia Duster.

Right... /Richard Hammond

Still... Not the best race... I'd put it third or fourth this year... They should sell the highlight reels of this season on DVD. I'd definitely buy it. :D

They do sell season review dvd's which are decent highlights packages. I've been buying them for years now. Linked.

Cool, never seen trophies made from wicker before. Alonso's looks like it's been on fire already.

:lol:

TWO HOURS of pre-race coverage. Couldn't sacrifice 15 min.

It does seem excessive. I sat down to watch the Indy 500 thinking the pre-show would be 1 hour max. Boy was I in for a surprise. Fair enough, the Indy 500 is a big event, but the pre show was just so boring.

I also tuned into a Nascar Nationwide race at Dover a few months ago. The race itself was fantastic, the pre-show was irritating. Especially considering the long delay due to the rain(which wasn't that bad). On an off topic, I remember their tire supplier (goodyear I believe) offered to develop a rain tire. Wish they took up that option.

One of the main talking points of this race will be Nick's retirement, both due to the nature of the failure and the way it was handled. I will not be surprised if the FIA raises a stink over that innovative exhaust... Maybe even banning it by next season

I think the FIA were in a stink about it after his fire at Barcelona. I wouldn't be surprised if the scrutineers took a good long look at the car over the summer break.

And tonight on GTPlanet arguments...is Vettel good enough in the rain? The thread EXPLODES as we try to find out :lol:

He is quite good in the rain. Perhaps he just doesn't like the pirelli inters.

b) Great, clean, exciting racing between the two McLarens. See that Horner? Well? WELL?

Red Bull are in a completely different position though. They are currently walking away with both championships. Mclaren can afford to take more risks. A lot of people forget what happened to the Mclaren drivers in Turkey 2010. Fair enough, Vettel and Webber's collision stole the limelight, but Hamilton was furious that Button passed him and even resorted to bumper car tactics to get back in the lead...

Then there is also Canada 2011.

Exactly, you would just want to be getting back on with it, not sat there like a lemon.

It's still very dangerous. Having seen Alessandro Zanardi's accident live, little things like this always make me think back to that day. Had Hamilton bided his time, he would maybe have ended up in third. I'm sure the adrenaline had something to do with it, but it was dangerous.

Great race today. Not the best showing from Vettel. There was a lot of luck in his second place, but to be fair it's not just about making opportunities for yourself. You also have to grab every opportunity that comes at you. Hamilton threw away a win. First he spun at the chicane, played wacky races overtakes with Jenson, made a bad strategy call (which looked like a good one at the time) and then the drive through spoiled any chance of recovery.

Great race from Jenson. All those years in sub par cars, I wonder what he could have done with a good car during that time.

Heidfeld's fire was quite scary. I don't think anyone likes to see that kind of thing. I wonder how Nick feels in that car. It kind of reminds me of Jean-Pierre Jabouille who did the development on the first turbo F1 engine. It was so unreliable, that it was nicknamed "the teapot" due to the fact that more often than not, it would start billowing out smoke.

Great point. You wont say.. "alright, I'm lapping you and I'm sideways. I should be losing time from 1st to clear you then spin round"

I think the point is that he shouldn't be playing chicken with the traffic regardless of who is lapped and who isn't. If you know there are cars directly behind you, you should know not to try and spin-turn the car back in the middle of the track. Its putting the other drivers at risk and can cause "avoidable contact".
If a driver is showing that he cannot restrain himself for safety purposes, then he needs to be reminded through a penalty to be more careful. Sure, obviously he wants to win, but you've made a mistake, you have no right to be taking up the race track and almost hitting people off simply because you are in the lead and don't want to lose as much time.

This is what can happen - although here Irvine is even more stupid for doing it immediately after a blind corner and not co-ordinating with the marshalls.

Anyway, great win again for Button in changing conditions. Also some notable drives from Di Resta, Buemi and Ricciardo.
D'Ambrosio amazed me with his spin in the pitlane though! Though it still doesn't quite beat Coulthard's brainfart from 1995.

D'Ambrosio amazed me with his spin in the pitlane though! Though it still doesn't quite beat Coulthard's brainfart from 1995.

To be fair, Coulthard's crash in the pitlane had more comedic value due to Murray Walker's commentary.

Does anyone have a link to a video of D'ambrosio's spin? I was watching online and my connection was seriously slow at that point. I only saw his stationary car sideways.

Edit: Was able to find this video... Hope to find a longer one to see the cause of the spin and his mechanics working on the car.

Last edited:
Red Bull are in a completely different position though. They are currently walking away with both championships. Mclaren can afford to take more risks. A lot of people forget what happened to the Mclaren drivers in Turkey 2010. Fair enough, Vettel and Webber's collision stole the limelight, but Hamilton was furious that Button passed him and even resorted to bumper car tactics to get back in the lead...

Then there is also Canada 2011.

Canada doesn't count because neither had sufficient visibility. Just a freak incident.

I'm aware that theoretically Red Bull have more at stake, but realistically they have a massive gap in both driver and manufacturer standings. McLaren have two drivers desperately wanting to catch up to Vettel, but they're still not prioritising one driver over another, nor banning them from battling.

As for Turkey 2010, I've not seen anywhere that Hamilton was "furious". I seem to remember both drivers saying after the race that they enjoyed the battle.

It boils down to the fact that the McLaren drivers have had dozens of battles over the last few years and passed each other dozens of times, and only in Canada in appalling conditions did they contact seriously enough to put a driver out.

Essentially, Red Bull just doesn't trust its drivers, McLaren does.

D'Ambrosio amazed me with his spin in the pitlane though!

It was a bit crazy. Bet the pit crew were bricking it too...

As for Turkey 2010, I've not seen anywhere that Hamilton was "furious". I seem to remember both drivers saying after the race that they enjoyed the battle.

Well you obviously haven't heard his team radio. I can't link it as I don't think it's on Youtube, but if you want to hear it, then you need to check out the F1 2010 season review DVD.

Clearly you didn't listen to that radio either, Hamilton was obviously furious with his team telling him Jenson wouldn't attack him - he was not angry with Jenson. The situation came about because they told Hamilton to save fuel and they either didn't tell Jenson or Jenson didn't need to save fuel at that point.
This radio only came to light on the Formula1.com race edit however, so thats why not many people will "remember" it.

And Hamilton's re-pass wasn't really "bumper tactics".

Clearly you didn't listen to that radio either, Hamilton was obviously furious with his team telling him Jenson wouldn't attack him - he was not angry with Jenson. The situation came about because they told Hamilton to save fuel and they either didn't tell Jenson or Jenson didn't need to save fuel at that point.
This radio only came to light on the Formula1.com race edit however, so thats why not many people will "remember" it.

I never said he was furious at Jenson anywhere. I was talking about the team.

Back