Formula One Eni Magyar Nagydij 2011

Does anyone have a link to a video of D'ambrosio's spin? I was watching online and my connection was seriously slow at that point. I only saw his stationary car sideways.

Edit: Was able to find this video... Hope to find a longer one to see the cause of the spin and his mechanics working on the car.

It would have been funny if he had done a complete 180 and ended up right in the pit box just backwards :lol: Could probably then get a job as a stunt driver!

Was a good race, I was totally expecting Hamilton to go off on another 'the stewards are picking on me' rant but he held it together. The Lotus explosion was horrendous, I seriously thought at one point someone was going to catch fire.

EDIT - Here's a longer vid F1 Fan 👍

Last edited:

Alex Yoong on STAR has a good point about Button... He really is a more aggressive racer than people give him credit for... Look at all the passing he did to gain that win... on Vettel... on Hamilton... Yes, one was enabled by a mistake and the other by tires, but he really had to push to make them stick. This makes him doubly deserving of that win.

He would still have had a pit advantage if Lewis hadn't spun. Lewis still would have had to pit for his primes then catch Button. Lewis would have had Vettel, but that would have been the only sure thing for Hamilton.

I don't think anyone thought of Button as passive... But he definitely earned the win. Was definitely as quick as Vettel (which shows how far McLaren have come), plus Button just plays it right consistently when you have a wet track drying or vice versa.

But what was up with Ferrari? Before the race, I think we all thought Ferrari had the overall quicker car...

Also, like Home said, kudos to McLaren for actually trusting their drivers to race each other. 👍 Even if my heart was in my throat on lap 1. :crazy:

I think the point is that he shouldn't be playing chicken with the traffic regardless of who is lapped and who isn't. If you know there are cars directly behind you, you should know not to try and spin-turn the car back in the middle of the track. Its putting the other drivers at risk and can cause "avoidable contact".

His manouvere wasn't right in anyway, however, sometimes you have to look at the situation in more human (and not political) way.

Hamilton was in front, he 🤬 up and wanted to get back into the lead as quickly as he could to decrease time loss. He was in a completely different world to Di Resta who was

Lalalalalala getting through the lap.... then..... OMFG WTF and he just avoided the McLaren.

EDIT - Here's a longer vid F1 Fan 👍

Nice one. Thanks.👍 Reminds me of me trying to play F1 Career Challenge 99-02(the pc version, not the watered down console version) on a laptop keyboard with no driving aids. Hardest game ever. I refuse to use driving aids, but it's impossible to play without on a keyboard without spinning at every other corner.

It would have been funny if he had done a complete 180 and ended up right in the pit box just backwards :lol: Could probably then get a job as a stunt driver!

That would have been really funny.

Whats with everything Lotus trying to get air! :lol:

heidfeld_1960796c.jpg

F1 fan
Reminds me of me trying to play F1 Career Challenge 99-02(the pc version, not the watered down console version) on a laptop keyboard with no driving aids. Hardest game ever.

Those classic F1 sims were brutal but so much fun.

Whats with everything Lotus trying to get air! :lol:

heidfeld_1960796c.jpg

He looks like he's practicing his dancing moves again in that picture.

Either that, or he's practicing his dramatic entrance for when he starts playing pantomime villains after his F1 career ends.

Robin.
Those classic F1 sims were brutal but so much fun.

Yeah. Just started playing through GP2 and GP3 recently too. Have some nice mods for GP2.

Well, I enjoyed that tremendously.

Hamilton's first stint of Inters and the first set of softs was a brilliant example of car control. I don't like the guy, but that's why we watch F1 - to see people who can not only keep hold of that, but pass the world champion and runaway championship leader while doing so.

The spin wasn't a great example of car control though :lol: I thought the penalty was a little harsh - had he not moved the car, Kovalainen and (Williams of someone) would have had to avoid him off the track as there was just no room with a sideways McLaren there. But inaction resulting in drivers taking avoiding action isn't a rule breach and action resulting in drivers taking avoiding action is, so the penalty is justified. Harsh, but justified.

And then he apologised to Paul di Resta and took responsibility? Who kidnapped Lewis Hamilton and replaced him with a mature, sensible driver?

Am I right in thinking the only actual contact between cars was Alguersuari's optimistic outbrake of Kobyashi? 'Cos that's pretty remarkable if true.

Well I didn't expect Button to win, but is a nice surprise, really good surprise, apart from that, Vettel didn't catch pace quickly enough to actually make a fight to the top, apart from that really good job by di Resta and Massa didn't match my expectations, but he shown better performance than Alonso, and that's something interesting.

Also, this season is just getting better and better, I think that is the best I have seen this decade (from 2001), such a let down that Vettel is so ahead in the scoreboard.

And:
heidfeld_1960796c.jpg

No comments, I saw "Black swan" Recently, so my thought was: he finally lost it.

Steel carnage, overtakes, rain, a really nice race.

Wow, that picture of the Lotus car on fire is actually quite artistic....

(F1 Fan, could you not do so much of a multi-quote next time? Its getting weird reading back comments from so far back and defending things or pointing out things that was already stated as well....)

(F1 Fan, could you not do so much of a multi-quote next time? Its getting weird reading back comments from so far back and defending things or pointing out things that was already stated as well....)

Sorry, but I have been doing so since I joined GTP and no one has complained before. Unlike some members, I follow the whole race thread from start to finish, so sometimes, I have really long multi quote posts where some quotes can go back quite far. That is mostly down to the fact that I don't visit the forums during the race. In this instance, most quotes were only from within a few hours, but due to high thread activity, a few hours can vary from "the post above yours" to 13 pages back.

I don't really mind Button winning, since Vettel's lead has increased. Shame Massa had to spin, completely ruined his race, and a shame Rosberg had to fall back too. But certainly a good day all round for Toro Rosso, their race starts are unbelievable!

Wow, that picture of the Lotus car on fire is actually quite artistic....

Oh lord, don't start the whole Renault/Lotus argument. To keep everything less confusing..lets refer to the Renault F1 team as Renault, eh? And Team Lotus as Lotus?

Really brilliant race. I loved every minute of it, and was so good to see Button take that win. He had Hamilton covered with his prime tire strategy well before the rain came. Even then, it was surely Button's choice to try his hardest not to come in and ruin his long final stint..

Was hilarious how patronising Whitmarsh and the commentary crew were, following Ham's out of character show of humility in his post-race interview. It was like a group of adults over-praising a problem child as he miraculously manages to behave himself successfully!

I never said he was furious at Jenson anywhere. I was talking about the team.

One incident of the team telling them to cool it isn't even slightly representative of their ethos as a whole. The McLaren drivers both race each other - aggressively sometimes, but never dangerously and always entertainingly and cleanly. Quite often they're at or near the front of the pack too, so it's not like the team is worried they'll lose a 1st and 2nd position in a race. That shows great trust in the drivers to me.

There is absolutely zero reason why the Red Bull drivers can't do the same - they're both great drivers - but RBR won't let them because they have zero trust that it won't end up in another incident like last year. I can understand them fretting about championship results but not to the point that when they're running in two consecutive positions they're loathe to let them battle.

Also, like Home said, kudos to McLaren for actually trusting their drivers to race each other. 👍 Even if my heart was in my throat on lap 1. :crazy:

Same, they got amazingly close on the exit of turn one, but credit to both drivers for leaving exactly enough of a gap!

Well, I enjoyed that tremendously.

Hamilton's first stint of Inters and the first set of softs was a brilliant example of car control. I don't like the guy, but that's why we watch F1 - to see people who can not only keep hold of that, but pass the world champion and runaway championship leader while doing so.

I thought Hamilton, Alonso and Button did a brilliant job in those early laps - they were all spending much of the track sideways, often only ceasing wheelspin by about 5th gear. Strangely, Vettel looked a lot less sideways early on as if his car was a bit more planted, but then he really didn't have the pace early on either.

Am I right in thinking the only actual contact between cars was Alguersuari's optimistic outbrake of Kobyashi? 'Cos that's pretty remarkable if true.

Hm, good you mentioned it. Makes you really wonder...I guess you're right.

I'm gonna go ahead and be "that guy" for this thread only. Caveats: 1) every top driver (except Button) made at least one mistake in the race and 2) he's been the best driver in the best car this year and last (and will almost certainly repeat this year), and 3) he won when it counted last year but Vettel again faltered under pressure, going off on Lap 5. Button did it to him in Canada, he did it to himself in Germany and then Hamilton pressured him into a mistake here in Hungary... is it worth discussing?

I'm pretty sure Vettel only made one mistake today and he still finished 2nd whereas Hamilton finished 4th. Arguably if Button had made a mistake, Vettel would have won today and people would be talking about how relatively flawless Vettel's drive was. Ok, so he didn't in reality, but point is - Vettel didn't exactly have a "bad race" today, eh?
Its one thing to make small mistakes under pressure and drop one position, its quite another to crash out, get stuck in gravel traps, burn out your tyres, etc etc. Vettel's mistakes have mostly been pretty minor and haven't hurt his championship much at all.

Its funny that people talk about races like this like its a bad race for Vettel when he "only" finished 2nd. Kind of reminds of Schumacher back in his day...and now comparing to now where people talk about finishing 7th as a "good race". Its all relative obviously but I think people are making too much out of really minor mistakes on Vettel's part.

I don't think it was actual pressure from Hamilton that made Vettel make the mistake. Everybody was really struggling to keep on the track at that stage and I think it was just a mistake. My point is backed up by the fact Hamilton filled out a 2 second lead by the end of the lap.

Vettel almost killed a few marshals and himself. That recovery of Heidfeld car should have been under safety car.
Correction, a few marshalls almost got themselves and Vettel killed. The entire "hey, let's tow the car backwards to the pits along the pit road!" operation was the most idiotic thing I've seen in F1 for a long time.

Vettel almost killed a few marshals and himself. That recovery of Heidfeld car should have been under safety car.

A bit overly dramatic, eh? Vettel didn't almost kill anyone.
A safety car would have likely led to a lot more cars in the pits and therefore more cars exiting the pits past Heidfeld's car. A red flag would have made more sense if any action was to be taken.
A difficult scenario in any case, I feel they left it as it was because of this (safety car meaning more cars in the pits) and the fact that all cars are expected to drive slower and more carefully due to the yellow flags.

Lets be honest here, the marhalls weren't pushing the car back past cars that didn't know they were there and were in a relatively safe part of the track. No cars would be going at racing speed past that area unless they were overtaking..and you cannot overtake under yellow flags. As Perez has learnt.

It's still very dangerous. Having seen Alessandro Zanardi's accident live, little things like this always make me think back to that day. Had Hamilton bided his time, he would maybe have ended up in third. I'm sure the adrenaline had something to do with it, but it was dangerous.

I still shudder when I think of what happened to Alex. Lewis did the right thing in the first part, getting the car off track... but he was a bit optimistic in his timing of the return spin... and I'm glad he acknowledged it.

It's puzzling... and possibly frustrating for those who were smart enough to hit the pits before they started moving the car. They should have closed the pits once the recovery crew was close enough. Maybe they didn't want to be accused of ruining the race for some people by closing the pits on their window...

That ruined race would have been Vettel's. He was the last leader to come in for his stop... (I'm still puzzled why they left it off for so late) which is why he found that Lotus blocking the pit exit on his way out.

Who kidnapped Lewis Hamilton and replaced him with a mature, sensible driver?

:lol:

One incident of the team telling them to cool it isn't even slightly representative of their ethos as a whole. The McLaren drivers both race each other - aggressively sometimes, but never dangerously and always entertainingly and cleanly. Quite often they're at or near the front of the pack too, so it's not like the team is worried they'll lose a 1st and 2nd position in a race. That shows great trust in the drivers to me.

Perhaps they have more trust in their drivers now, but you have to remember that both drivers are trying to overcome a massive points deficit and will likely ignore any team orders like Webber did. Remember this is the same team, albeit, under another man's leadership, that made David Coulthard let Mika Hakkinen through on more than one occasion. Sometimes even at the start of the season.

Sometimes, a lot can be gained from team orders. Had Mclaren employed team orders on Lewis at Indianapolis in 2007, Alonso would be a three time world champion and Kimi would be a "nearly man".

Great drive today by Button. He limited his mistakes in difficult conditions while the other drivers did not.

No F1 for a month. What am I going to do!

Last edited:
Who kidnapped Lewis Hamilton and replaced him with a mature, sensible driver?

I said this too for the german GP

The stewards must disquilify the first place finsher.

That is not Lewis but a look-a-like, Lewis does something to upset the stewards every race but nothing this time.

Great race.

Nothing to do but wait until spa now.

Back