Forza 3 real polygon counts revealed

• Thread starter adama
  • 129 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! From 170,000 to just 45,000 during gameplay. Yikes! GT5 has 500,000 polygons per car without dropping it.

Blah, blah, blah.

I'm glad we have to go to lengths like these as Forza must really get under the skin of hardcore GT players.

And the ridiculousness continues. :lol:

👍:dopey::crazy::dunce:

At this stage of graphics quality and capability one can hardly notice the difference so its a pretty moot point. Useless in my opinion. Physics is the bottom line in this stage. Smoke, skid marks, 3d trees are just eye candy. We play racing sims to get the feel of the different cars so if a game can't perform in that aspect then I think they have lost the game for who is the best when it come to racing sim games.

Last edited:
I just find it funny because some guys were laughing at me after I told them the cars never have 1.000.000 polygons (like T10 said).

I find it funny that someone's first thread and post is pointless information. Looking to troll the place up right off the line (no pun intended).

WOW! From 170,000 to just 45,000 during gameplay. Yikes! GT5 has 500,000 polygons per car without dropping it.

Nope. I'm sure GT5 drops the poly count in-game too. May even be in the same ballpark.

GT5 probably has an advantage in the cockpit view though, you can't use LOD there. :lol:

At least Forza's cars were all fully modelled!

*cue OH SNAP guy*

In all seriousness though, Forza looked fine and I'm willing to bet GT will look fine too. If you want to see high res cars, go outside.

In all seriousness though, Forza looked fine and I'm willing to bet GT will look fine too. If you want to see high res cars, go outside.

Touche! Nice one Joey, hopefully that ends this thread.

Oh, crap. I'm gonna go throw away my Forza 3 disk now. Those numbers just ruined the game for me.

Just wondering, how many polygons are on the Veyron's interior in GT5?

I think it is odd that we see people talk about the polys in Forza 3 at all. I mean who cares how many they use the cars look good on and off the track. Even Forza 2 looks good. I never had an issue with the quality of the car graphics in either game. Yes Gt does look better but both Forza 2 and 3 look plenty good enough to suit me.

Edit: If the standard cars in GT5 look as good as the cars in Forza 2 I will be happy with them from that regaurd.

I'll be more surprised if GT5 handles and sounds as good as Forza 3 does. I'm not actually expecting it to. I don't think it will.

I'll be more surprised if GT5 handles and sounds as good as Forza 3 does. I'm not actually expecting it to. I don't think it will.
Handling good is a matter of opinion. I would think that GT5 will handle more true to life than Forza which some will think is good and others will think is bad. Just the variable steering alone will make a huge difference over Forza when using a wheel. All cars in Forza have the same turning radius where in real life there is a huge difference in turning radius between an LMP and a 300 SL. As I understand it GT5 will have different turning radius on different cars. A Cart may have 180 degree steering where as the 300 SL may be 900 degrees just as they would be in real life or as close as possible. In Forza the 300 SL and all other cars have the same turning as the LMPs. Many would say this makes them handle better but it is not realistic at all.

As for sound Forza has decent sounds on some cars and not so good on others. The sound is always the same regaurdless of being in bumper, hood, cockpit or chase views which of course is not realistic at all. Some of the Mazdas in Forza sound really bad kind of like a toy airplane.

Last edited:
Nope. I'm sure GT5 drops the poly count in-game too. May even be in the same ballpark.

Unless you have anything to back that up, then no. :rolleyes:

11jqbo9.jpg

wd33.jpg

gran_turismo_5_prologue_159.jpg

Nice screenshots. You've succeeded at proving that the cars look good in-game, which happens to be the case for Forza as well.

The polygon drop in GT may be less steep than Forza, as I'm quite willing to bet that Polyphony Digital is more talented in the graphics department than Turn 10. Nonetheless I doubt there's a big enough talent difference between the two and/or a big enough performance gap between the PS3 and 360 to allow GT5 to render 16 500k-poly vehicles at once whereas Forza 3 can only manage 8 50k-poly cars at a time.

I have played Forza 2 for about 1 year and Forza 3 since the day the demo was released. I got my PS3 last Christmas and picked up a copy of GT5P to have a go at it. Now I was impressed with Forza 2 graphics and even more impressed with Forza 3 graphics but when I popped in GT5P and got the video settings right all I could say was WOW! Noticably better graphics while driving and on replays than Forza 3 without a doubt.

Blah, blah, blah.

I'm glad we have to go to lengths like these as Forza must really get under the skin of hardcore GT players.
So from one post from one member you have chosen to paint all hardcore GT Players with the same brush?

Given your chosen user-name you should be open to discussion of the pros and cons of all titles, or does that just apply to GT?

I find it funny that someone's first thread and post is pointless information. Looking to troll the place up right off the line (no pun intended).

Troll is rather an extreme term to use given that the users post is a sourced list of values, with the quite correct statement that they are low values (given the values that T10 have at times stated).

To be rather blunt on this subject I've done more than my fair share to ensure that the FM areas of GT Planet are not trolled, and your comments in this thread do little to help that.

Its data that has been posted and you have attributed a position to it that the member has not yet shown (and may or may not - we don't yet know).

You guys need to be one hell of a lot less defensive and a lot more open to discussions to the pros and cons of all games.

I'm not impressed by the conduct in this thread one little bit.

Scaff

Troll is rather an extreme term to use given that the users post is a sourced list of values, with the quite correct statement that they are low values (given the values that T10 have at times stated).

To be rather blunt on this subject I've done more than my fair share to ensure that the FM areas of GT Planet are not trolled, and your comments in this thread do little to help that.

Its data that has been posted and you have attributed a position to it that the member has not yet shown (and may or may not - we don't yet know).

You guys need to be one hell of a lot less defensive and a lot more open to discussions to the pros and cons of all games.

I'm not impressed by the conduct in this thread one little bit.

Scaff

Fair enough.

I just don't see the point in posting polygon count figures - I could honestly care less. So what if the polygon count is only 'x' amount during actual gameplay as opposed to 'x' amount during photomode or the dealership presentations? I've never placed visuals on the pedestal most people these days seem to, it just isn't important enough to me. The game looks good, and more important is fun (well, was anyway...I'm completely bored of the damn thing now) and that's all that should matter in the end. Greenawalt lied...it's not the first time and sure as hell won't be the last. As far as being defensive goes, I'm critical of both games...I could list the flaws across all of the Forza games almost in entirety, but what would the point in that be? It doesn't have active aerodynamic animations, which is lame. They've recycled the same Enzo Ferrari model throughout 3 games, same goes for the Carrera GT and a bunch of other models I can't even remember. The list could literally go on and on such as the same money glitch that was in FM2 made it's way into FM3 (somehow).

For the most part, and you know where I'm referring to, criticism of FM-anything is a lot more widely accepted amongst the majority of members, yet, when someone points out a completely warranted flaw in GT, you've got twenty-seven people jumping down your throat over a game. Hell, chromatic asked a question about GT5's photomode capabilities and provided an FM3 video to show what he was talking about....and as I alluded to before, several people jumped on his back. Not that it has anything to do with this, but you see the point I'm driving toward, hopefully.

Fair enough.

I just don't see the point in posting polygon count figures - I could honestly care less. So what if the polygon count is only 'x' amount during actual gameplay as opposed to 'x' amount during photomode or the dealership presentations? I've never placed visuals on the pedestal most people these days seem to, it just isn't important enough to me. The game looks good, and more important is fun (well, was anyway...I'm completely bored of the damn thing now) and that's all that should matter in the end. Greenawalt lied...it's not the first time and sure as hell won't be the last. As far as being defensive goes, I'm critical of both games...I could list the flaws across all of the Forza games almost in entirety, but what would the point in that be? It doesn't have active aerodynamic animations, which is lame. They've recycled the same Enzo Ferrari model throughout 3 games, same goes for the Carrera GT and a bunch of other models I can't even remember. The list could literally go on and on such as the same money glitch that was in FM2 made it's way into FM3 (somehow).

I didn't say you had to care, nor did the OP, however many may and its a perfectly valid topic for discussion.

For the most part, and you know where I'm referring to, criticism of FM-anything is a lot more widely accepted amongst the majority of members, yet, when someone points out a completely warranted flaw in GT, you've got twenty-seven people jumping down your throat over a game. Hell, chromatic asked a question about GT5's photomode capabilities and provided an FM3 video to show what he was talking about....and as I alluded to before, several people jumped on his back. Not that it has anything to do with this, but you see the point I'm driving toward, hopefully.
I know exactly what you are referring to and how much it annoys you. Which is why I was both surprised and disappointed to see you acting in a manner not much different.

Those 27 people in the GT forums will and do get dealt with (I should know it taking a hefty amount of my time), but that means the same goes for in here.

Scaff

I didn't say you had to care, nor did the OP, however many may and its a perfectly valid topic for discussion.

I know exactly what you are referring to and how much it annoys you. Which is why I was both surprised and disappointed to see you acting in a manner not much different.

Those 27 people in the GT forums will and do get dealt with (I should know it taking a hefty amount of my time), but that means the same goes for in here.

Scaff

:ill:

If that's how I came off, then I humbly apologize all around.

I was just a bit annoyed as these were posted in the GT5 section before Jordan had to warn people to stop posting about Forza.

As for sound Forza has decent sounds on some cars and not so good on others. The sound is always the same regaurdless of being in bumper, hood, cockpit or chase views which of course is not realistic at all.

That's wrong though. Of course the cars sound different in different views in Forza 3. With the chase view alone there's much more exhaust note. Cockpit view is kinda muffled. how you can say there's no difference between the sound in different views I just don't know.

That's wrong though. Of course the cars sound different in different views in Forza 3. With the chase view alone there's much more exhaust note. Cockpit view is kinda muffled. how you can say there's no difference between the sound in different views I just don't know.
Trust me I have been playing Forza almost everyday for the last 2 years the sound is the pretty much the same in all the views there is a suttle difference in volume and sound of turbo nothing at all like real life. In GT5P there is a big difference between views.

I just find it funny because some guys were laughing at me after I told them the cars never have 1.000.000 polygons (like T10 said).

Except that Turn10 never said that, i remember where that came from, it was a user here that said Forza 2 cars were 100k polygons (totally false) and just in base of that he did the 100k * 10 times = 1 million.

By the way, i dont think GT5 cars are 500k either, il say about 200k-300k.

And Turn10 high poly cars looks awesome, other than more coloured interiors in premium cars they look equal to me and this is very important when we think that Polyphony worked 6 years in 220 cars while the outsourced 3d modelling company that works for Turn10 did 500+ in less than 3 years.

Altough you can be damned ennoying at times, you mostly know what you're talking about. I also never believed that redicilous statement, 1mil?, seriously? Well, we were right after all. What puzzles me here from a tech-perpective is, that the Xbox is supposed to have a better graphics card, which can do 200 mil polys more (500MIL) than the ps3 (300MIL). So how comes that GT5 does not only look better, but also have a slightly higher poly count an twice as much cars on track and all the effects of course like weather. :confused:

Is it really the Cell, which makes the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back