Forza 4 Demo Thread

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 1,080 comments
Oddly enough, cars get quieter in the tunnel in the Alps track.

I never noticed but after watching a video your right although it does still give you an echo effect. The volume of the live exhaust itself seems to lower and the echo takes over.

I still fail to see how FM is too understeery...

I can get the back out on the STI pretty easy with my driving style, let alone the other cars.

Oddly enough, cars get quieter in the tunnel in the Alps track.

I never noticed but after watching a video your right although it does still give you an echo effect. The volume of the live exhaust itself seems to lower and the echo takes over.

The proper echo effect is there but the overall volume is lower. Very strange.

Yeah I noticed that too. Found that particularly odd. Tried to think of any time I ever heard that effect and couldn't think of any. Maybe the tunnels are padded. lol

GT5 Sceptic

I can get the back out on the STI pretty easy with my driving style, let alone the other cars.

I felt that way about FM3 but FM4 seems to have corrected that problem.

Yeah I noticed that too. Found that particularly odd. Tried to think of any time I ever heard that effect and couldn't think of any. Maybe the tunnels are padded. lol

Yeah, I need to hook up my rear speakers for my 6.1 and see how it sounds like that. I'm sure if you turn up the rear speaker volume the echo effect will then sound louder than the exhaust does outside the tunnel.

FyreandIce
It totally depends what car you're driving, how you're driving it and what part of the track you're on.

Well that explains it all. Lol.

Don't mind me I'm on a funny one.

Wow i feel like a :dunce: now.I didn't realize you could turn that off.I looked for a setting but couldn't find it.

Well keep that :dunce: hat handy because I didn't say it was a setting , it's the first Rival mode challenge on the Rival screen. The other two have cars.
Yeah, I need to hook up my rear speakers for my 6.1 and see how it sounds like that. I'm sure if you turn up the rear speaker volume the echo effect will then sound louder than the exhaust does outside the tunnel.
I have a 5.1 setup and while it doesn't sound louder it does sound good.

I have a 5.1 setup and while it doesn't sound louder it does sound good.

Have you tried turning up the volume on just the rear speakers (since echos tend come through those speakers more) to see how it sounds?

Have you tried turning up the volume on just the rear speakers (since echos tend come through those speakers more) to see how it sounds?

Naw, I gotta adjust all that stuff anyhow as I race in a different position than I watch movies and stuff so I know the soundfield isn't as good as it could be.

Now that I adjusted my wheel, demo feel better. But not good because variable steering ratio. It is so easy to steer too much because of that and lose traction in the front.

Last edited:
When i bought my house a few years back i was going to get a dishwasher,but never got around to it.I should have got one before all my bills piled up.Now i wish i had one. :(

to bad ya dont live closer i'm selling a 400$ stainless steel dishwasher for a 100$ i have 2 but only need 1.

The Zonda just understeers like crazy. It is very hard to get the rear tyres to slide at all to get the car turned in. If you go on and off and back on full throttle it still understeers. Even with limited steering it understeers, throw the car in and on exit it still understeers. I know a way I could do what I want with the car but I find it very hard with a controller. With a steering wheel, I think the best thing to do is steer back out and then back in again very quickly to quickly unload the tyres then load them again, to get better cornering speed. I find it very hard to do using a controller so that is probably why I'm quite a few seconds off the pace.

I think if I had a wheel I should be able to get closer to the front runners but the physics have put me off from getting a wheel. There is no fun driving the cars as there is not really any on the edge feel to the physics. I mean if you say you hit a bump, turned in too much and the car looks to be out of control, all you do is lift off and put some opposite lock and it corrects itself. I don't think that is realistic at all as that would be in real life be a tank slapper and smash into the wall but instead it corrects itself and points back in the right direction. It is a bit like F1 2010 brake technique when you have a moment.

I have spent a couple of hours on rivals mode just now. Tried to stop the Zonda from understeering (Very Hard), and did quick runs on the one where you have to pass the cars. My 2 day pass was about to run out so I was in a hurry to go around the other tracks and also to test the cars and physics out. Strangely I can access rivals mode still unless it is enabled for Xbox Live Free users too? The passing ones I see very little fairness as the AI cars really make or break your lap so didn't spend much time on them. You can see your rival going through cars which feels unfair :sly: due to different AI path. The frame rate due to mirrors can put you off on the M5 one.

Any wheel users, how do you find the Zonda? I will be interested in your impressions. I can't do a good lap due to it being very hard to stop the car understeering.

Wheel completely changes the game for me Saidur, one thing I would say is that physics are a feeling. I definitely feel the edge of grip in Forza, I know when the cars are going to let go just from the sound of the tires and the angle of the car relative to the corner. Maybe you need to adjust your driving style, and I don't mean the scandinavian flick you described earlier.

I am running sub 1:43s and none of the ghosts I'm coming up against in Rivals in the Zonda seem to be having issues with understeer, far more oversteer judging from how sideway a lot of the ghosts are. Again, perhaps take a look at your driving style.

I think if I had a wheel I should be able to get closer to the front runners but the physics have put me off from getting a wheel. There is no fun driving the cars as there is not really any on the edge feel to the physics. I mean if you say you hit a bump, turned in too much and the car looks to be out of control, all you do is lift off and put some opposite lock and it corrects itself. I don't think that is realistic at all as that would be in real life be a tank slapper and smash into the wall but instead it corrects itself and points back in the right direction. It is a bit like F1 2010 brake technique when you have a moment.

Lolz. You do realise there is a simulation steering option yeah? Lift off and steer into a slide in the Zonda and you'll be picking concrete out of your teeth in no time. The twitch is brutal, particularly with a wheel.

I don't find it easy (especially on a wheel) to correct a sliding car in FM4. Indeed, watching me saw away at the wheel while setting a hotlap in the zonda would lead you to believe the track had no straights. Or that I was drifting. In fact I would at times say that FM4 handling can be bastard hard. I have no such real issues on GT5 incidentally... But that is for another thread.

My only issue is how much on the controller the steering is restricted. I find it quite easy to correct things too, because the game doesn't let me have more lock than it thinks I should have. I think that if I hold the stick at full lock, the in-game wheel shouldn't just stay at ~30/40º, but should progressively lock further and further.

I imagine it would be much better with a wheel, as the game wouldn't be forcing steering rotation limits on me.

Otherwise, I think the physics seem very solid and I agree, the tyre sound relates where the grip is to the driver very well. I just wish I could be more crazy with the cars if I want to, instead of it holding my hand for steering so much.

Wheel completely changes the game for me Saidur, one thing I would say is that physics are a feeling. I definitely feel the edge of grip in Forza, I know when the cars are going to let go just from the sound of the tires and the angle of the car relative to the corner. Maybe you need to adjust your driving style, and I don't mean the scandinavian flick you described earlier.

I am running sub 1:43s and none of the ghosts I'm coming up against in Rivals in the Zonda seem to be having issues with understeer, far more oversteer judging from how sideway a lot of the ghosts are. Again, perhaps take a look at your driving style.

Lolz. You do realise there is a simulation steering option yeah? Lift off and steer into a slide in the Zonda and you'll be picking concrete out of your teeth in no time. The twitch is brutal, particularly with a wheel.

I don't find it easy (especially on a wheel) to correct a sliding car in FM4. Indeed, watching me saw away at the wheel while setting a hotlap in the zonda would lead you to believe the track had no straights. Or that I was drifting. In fact I would at times say that FM4 handling can be bastard hard. I have no such real issues on GT5 incidentally... But that is for another thread.
Do you have a force feedback wheel? I think I remember you saying you didn’t (Could be some other member though) but how does the feel work without force feedback if you’ve got one of them Mad Catz wheels?

I tried different driving techniques but still struggle to deal with the understeer. The Scandinavian flick does help me in one of the corners though ;).

I think I could run a time in the 1:40s if I get a good lap together but the understeer problem I have makes it very hard. That and not having done many laps and also no friends on Xbox Live to motivate me to push harder to get to top of the list. The ghosts I have gone up against seem to be able to take the lines I want to take. Could be just because I’m not very good driving on a pad though.

I’m driving with Simulation Steering, manual and all other aids turned off. (Can’t get used to the button layout to use clutch as it is awkward when braking.)

I think I will find it easier on a wheel as every racing game I’ve played a wheel on, I’m much quicker than a pad, about 1-3 seconds quicker a lap on average on tracks about 2 minutes long and not any formula kind of car. I’m also much more consistent too with a wheel.

Do you have a force feedback wheel? I think I remember you saying you didn’t (Could be some other member though) but how does the feel work without force feedback if you’ve got one of them Mad Catz wheels?

I tried different driving techniques but still struggle to deal with the understeer. The Scandinavian flick does help me in one of the corners though ;).

I think I could run a time in the 1:40s if I get a good lap together but the understeer problem I have makes it very hard. That and not having done many laps and also no friends on Xbox Live to motivate me to push harder to get to top of the list. The ghosts I have gone up against seem to be able to take the lines I want to take. Could be just because I’m not very good driving on a pad though.

I’m driving with Simulation Steering, manual and all other aids turned off. (Can’t get used to the button layout to use clutch as it is awkward when braking.)

I think I will find it easier on a wheel as every racing game I’ve played a wheel on, I’m much quicker than a pad, about 1-3 seconds quicker a lap on average on tracks about 2 minutes long and not any formula kind of car. I’m also much more consistent too with a wheel.

I still think the cars have to much grip in stock form, however It's a improvement over FM3. I have played on a wheel and controller, mostly on a controller because I don't have the room for a Wheel. Dame you Irene :(

The Zonda just understeers like crazy. It is very hard to get the rear tyres to slide at all to get the car turned in. If you go on and off and back on full throttle it still understeers. Even with limited steering it understeers, throw the car in and on exit it still understeers. I know a way I could do what I want with the car but I find it very hard with a controller. With a steering wheel, I think the best thing to do is steer back out and then back in again very quickly to quickly unload the tyres then load them again, to get better cornering speed. I find it very hard to do using a controller so that is probably why I'm quite a few seconds off the pace.

I have spent a couple of hours on rivals mode just now. Tried to stop the Zonda from understeering (Very Hard), and did quick runs on the one where you have to pass the cars. My 2 day pass was about to run out so I was in a hurry to go around the other tracks and also to test the cars and physics out. Strangely I can access rivals mode still unless it is enabled for Xbox Live Free users too? The passing ones I see very little fairness as the AI cars really make or break your lap so didn't spend much time on them. You can see your rival going through cars which feels unfair :sly: due to different AI path. The frame rate due to mirrors can put you off on the M5 one.

Any wheel users, how do you find the Zonda? I will be interested in your impressions. I can't do a good lap due to it being very hard to stop the car understeering.

We must be driving two different Zondas because I feel "the edge" all over the place. Especially when I'm trying to carry as much speed as possible in that last sweeping turn before the back straight. You come over flying blindly into a right and if you can hit it right the whole screen is titling which is wild and you're trying not to push out while also not trying to spin in and keep that speed. I think with the amount of downforce this car probably generates it's more grippy than people think it would be.

We must be driving two different Zondas because I feel "the edge" all over the place. Especially when I'm trying to carry as much speed as possible in that last sweeping turn before the back straight. You come over flying blindly into a right and if you can hit it right the whole screen is titling which is wild and you're trying not to push out while also not trying to spin in and keep that speed. I think with the amount of downforce this car probably generates it's more grippy than people think it would be.
I expect it to be grippy in terms of downforce through high speed corners. However the traction and driving charectisitics are very strange. One of the corners as I mentioned I do a scandinavian flick through one of the corners, even then it does not get the car turned in and the car still understeers and makes it still very hard to make the corner. I can't get it to lift off oversteer too, it is on rails and only will stay on that path no matter what I do to the throttle or brakes. The controller makes it harder to unload the tyre and load it back again as you can't usually do it quick enoiugh unless you got ninja like skills on a pad. This makes it hard to do a decent lap.

I would have thought with the amount of horsepower, I would be able to get the back end out the way I'm driving but it just understeers. I'm going straight to full throttle too so not really any progession of the throttle. It is a RWD car if I'm not mistaken too but drives more like a FWD car. I wonder what the impressions of the fastest people are who are in the top 10 of the leaderboard.

What time did you do by the way so I can compare myself? Thanks.

Is anyone else having a similar experience to me?

I expect it to be grippy in terms of downforce through high speed corners. However the traction and driving charectisitics are very strange. One of the corners as I mentioned I do a scandinavian flick through one of the corners, even then it does not get the car turned in and the car still understeers and makes it still very hard to make the corner. I can't get it to lift off oversteer too, it is on rails and only will stay on that path no matter what I do to the throttle or brakes. The controller makes it harder to unload the tyre and load it back again as you can't usually do it quick enoiugh unless you got ninja like skills on a pad. This makes it hard to do a decent lap.

I would have thought with the amount of horsepower, I would be able to get the back end out the way I'm driving but it just understeers. I'm going straight to full throttle too so not really any progession of the throttle. It is a RWD car if I'm not mistaken too but drives more like a FWD car. I wonder what the impressions of the fastest people are who are in the top 10 of the leaderboard.

What time did you do by the way so I can compare myself? Thanks.

Is anyone else having a similar experience to me?

Keep in mind the massive rear wing, massive rear tires, and probably understeer-biased suspension. The car is designed for as much stability as possible to keep the power under control.

Keep in mind the massive rear wing, massive rear tires, and probably understeer-biased suspension. The car is designed for as much stability as possible to keep the power under control.

There is no traction control though and it is not a fan car so really you should be able to get some wheelspin. Instead I get close to perfect traction going full throttle and doing scandinavian flicks still make it hard for the car to get any oversteer. It ends up just understeering.

There is no traction control though and it is not a fan car so really you should be able to get some wheelspin. Instead I get close to perfect traction going full throttle and doing scandinavian flicks still make it hard for the car to get any oversteer. It ends up just understeering.

What are you running for a time? I don't have to much trouble with understeer. I'm at a 1:41:832. If i need the car to turn in more i just down shift for just a sec (or an eye blink in some cases) and it turns in pretty good. Knowing you though your probably quicker than me so my advice might not do much for you.

Also are you doing the no assist trick?

What are you running for a time? I don't have to much trouble with understeer. I'm at a 1:41:832. If i need the car to turn in more i just down shift for just a sec (or an eye blink in some cases) and it turns in pretty good. Knowing you though your probably quicker than me so my advice might not do much for you.

Also are you doing the no assist trick?

I've done a time in the low 41's. Haven't done many laps though. I think a lot of the issues could be solved for me if you could change the speed of steering on a pad and also the amount of steering input. Maybe then the pad will be as good as a steering wheel for me to go nearly as quick. This is a workaround the physics to stop the car understeering as much which would help me go faster. I guess it is more a pad issue as with a wheel you have that extra bit of freedom to drive around the problems of the car better. I think I would probably be a couple of seconds quicker with a wheel so better pad controls would maybe improve me by a second extra.

I'm upshifting early in one of the corners to counteract the problem, it is the corner before the last checkpoint. I messed it up on my fastest lap so cost me a few tenths as the car did not get turned in enough and had to back out of throttle, otherwise I would just understeer into the wall or whatever is there. I'm sure many will have a problem on that corner or is it just me?

I'm upshifting early in one of the corners to counteract the problem, it is the corner before the last checkpoint. I messed it up on my fastest lap so cost me a few tenths as the car did not get turned in enough and had to back out of throttle, otherwise I would just understeer into the wall or whatever is there. I'm sure many will have a problem on that corner or is it just me?

Ahh, I forgot you use a pad. I actually downshift on the right hander just before the uphill and that last checkpoint. Just for a sec though right before the apex to get the right angle going in so I can shift back up and give full throttle as im passing the apex. That corner can be a bit tricky but I don't have much of a problem when I downshift.

Exact same way it has worked for every game everyone has ever played without a force feedback wheel. Visual and audio cues mixed in with my experiences of what a car does on the road. Forza has some of the best audio and visual 'telegraphing' concerning what your car is doing (or about to do) I have ever come across. There is no doubt I am at a disadvantage without FFB, however I am not as disadvantaged as you on a pad. Even a cheap wheel would allow you to use the steering to it's full extent, I find that going from the pad to even a 270 wheel promotes a dramatic difference between how the cars drive in Forza.

The Forza Zonda Cinque does probably have too much grip compared to real life, but considering there were only 5 cars made (unless you want to commission Pagani to build one specifically for you $$$$$) maybe only 5 people, a very well trusted mechanic and a couple of rich boy's friends will ever drive them. So we won't really ever know. I'm pretty certain that fireworks would erupt from the rear end if you flattened the throttle in anything lesser than 4th though, it's got 670 hp and weighs 1210kg dry, so there ain't the mechanical grip of something like a Porker. That's not to say though, that when you get to the 100 mph mark, the downforce isn't pushing the car into the road to the point you get rampant understeer if you just jam it into a corner with no finesse.

also no friends on Xbox Live to motivate me to push harder to get to top of the list. The ghosts I have gone up against seem to be able to take the lines I want to take. Could be just because I’m not very good driving on a pad though.

1) Get some friends, there's a biiigggg list in the gamer tags thread. I would welcome you as a friend on XBL.

2) Get a wheel, even a cheap one with no FFB would make life a lot easier for you. It frees the steering right up. I would agree with you that driving the Zonda on the pad is an experience of understeer central mixed with frustration avenue. The pad does not offer you enough steering at speed to make the Zonda active and lively, it just feels very safe and understeery, whereas on the wheel it is a lairy git that really doesn't like pointing in the right direction.

Back