Forza 4 Demo Thread

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 1,080 comments
Played the demo some more this evening. I'm addicted to Rivals mode with cars on the track. I hope you can do that in single player (Trackday mode?)

I'm a fully subscribed member of the pad club and have no desire to get a wheel. I love how Forza just works on the pad. No messing about, just well-weighted triggers and analogue stick so your finger modulation of the throttle feels like you're really in control. Even the sim steering works great, especially how if you're ham-fisted you'll unsettle the car into spinning out of control. Quite simply I'm in love all over again with Forza. Bravo T10.

Yeah traditionally when I didn't feel like lugging bout this heavy t500rs wheel I would just grab the pad and play FM 3. If I decide to save my money I can always fall back to that again and blow the dust of this Kinect to play it with my hands in the air lol.

What's with the mirrors.
They're like 10 FPS or so.

Nah I think they are 30FPS It does look bad but it all good, hopefully T10 can fix it down the line. 👍

Sim or not a sim... I wonder if this debate will ever fade away :crazy: I don't think it is a black and white issue with many factors bordering on personal opinion. Heck, F1 cars have "assists" - I guess Vettel is driving for the F1 Arcade Championship :) Some of my favorite racing is on a local extremely banked asphalt short track running some pretty crazy fast late models and can you believe it they don't make pitstops :sly:

It's not that tough really to determine if something should be labeled a "sim". If I watch a race on TV and I see the driver clearly has control of his car in pit lane then I expect that in my sim along with Cautions, pit penalties (running red light, etc), other various track penalties, black flags (stop'n'go), unsafe pit exit, etc. Plus I will expect at least a qualifying session in my single player. I dont think it's fair when a game just automatically tosses me in the back, etc. I want to have the chance to qualify to determine my placement.

Anyway I understand all of these things might not appeal to a broader audience personally plus I'm fine with Forza the way it is really. If that makes sense. All I would add to the game is a few more prototypes from ALMS as I posted in that other car list thread. I'm not one of those sim purists that will diss every sort of racing game out there if it doesn't meant their standards

Yeah not sure why he thinks F1 cars have driving aids. my F1 car in iRacing has no driving aids

It's not that tough really to determine if something should be labeled a "sim". If I watch a race on TV and I see the driver clearly has control of his car in pit lane then I expect that in my sim along with Cautions, pit penalties (running red light, etc), other various track penalties, black flags (stop'n'go), unsafe pit exit, etc. Plus I will expect at least a qualifying session in my single player. I dont think it's fair when a game just automatically tosses me in the back, etc. I want to have the chance to qualify to determine my placement.

Anyway I understand all of these things might not appeal to a broader audience personally plus I'm fine with Forza the way it is really. If that makes sense. All I would add to the game is a few more prototypes from ALMS as I posted in that other car list thread. I'm not one of those sim purists that will diss every sort of racing game out there if it doesn't meant their standards

Well it depends on what we're labeling it as a simulation of. Forza's absolutely a driving sim, but it's certainly not a full-fledged racing sim.

Yeah not sure why he thinks F1 cars have driving aids. my F1 car in iRacing has no driving aids

I guess if you really wanted to you could count power steering as an assist. Or Lewis Hamilton's innovative braking assist he has been using lately.:lol:

Notice how he had no response for this? :lol:
I notice, yet he's still posting the same drivel.

I found it best to improve by setting a rival that is .5 to 1.0 second ahead of my time.

At first it was so hard to get a flow going but after slowly increasing my rivals time I've started to get more and more speed from corner to corner.

Great idea, thanks a lot, it has helped me dip into the 1:44s, in just a few trys, some somewhere on track I'm slightly going off so the lap doesn't count :(. Will keep trying at it.

- J

J32
Great idea, thanks a lot, it has helped me dip into the 1:44s, in just a few trys, some somewhere on track I'm slightly going off so the lap doesn't count :(. Will keep trying at it.

- J

I find the sequence before the tunnel very easy to run wide on, the Zonda (and from the demo, Forza overall) rewards fast, clean lines so I always push like hell through there. The yellow lines are easy to cross without even realising in the throws of a high adrenaline quick lap. I find that going through there perfectly is the difference between a 43 and a 44 for me, at least on the pad. The wheel has taken me a while to get used to, but my times are gradually coming down with it. :)

^ sounds good I'll try that when I get back on the game. I'm using the controller also.

- J

Definition of a sim. I focus on the physics. Forza is not a sim as it doesn´t simulate how real cars behaves enough to qualify from what I tested yet. I don´t know if I am still suffering from som 900 degree glitch. True that many street cars have traction controls and of course mandatory ABS that is not what I am talking about.

Doesn´t mean it´s the only measuring stick you have to judge Forza but I do find it easier to be immersed and have fun with physics good enough to fool me it´s close to the real deal. Just like movies often get more interesting if they are "based on a true story".

Definition of a sim. I focus on the physics. Forza is not a sim as it doesn´t simulate how real cars behaves enough to qualify from what I tested yet. I don´t know if I am still suffering from som 900 degree glitch. True that many street cars have traction controls and of course mandatory ABS that is not what I am talking about.

If you don't think simcade games like Forza or GT have sim physics, what do you think does?

If you don't think simcade games like Forza or GT have sim physics, what do you think does?

In reality, none of the game a real sim because we don't have a rig to simulate G forces.

I think some of the forums member needs to unplug and drive a real car once in a while. They will see that Forza/GT are not so bad afterall.

Lolz..

No game is a sim if you don't die when you crash hard.. ;)

btw, the steering assist isn't going to be there.. :)

is this in writing. did dan say that or are you just making things up.if so where is the article saying they are going to fix ther steering assist.

but driving a real car feels totally different then any sim, that's my impression, the fov, the sense of depth, the vibration, the sense of speed are alien to each other. When you are in a sim going at the limit it seem like nothing special, but in a real car it is a very intense experience unless you are on a wide open race track with no reference point.

I find both experience almost incompatible, even if the in game car is behaving exactly like the real one, the sensations alone will make you feel very much otherwise.

In reality, none of the game a real sim because we don't have a rig to simulate G forces.

I think some of the forums member needs to unplug and drive a real car once in a while. They will see that Forza/GT are not so bad afterall.

We all have to learn to accept GT and Forza for what they are. It's really that simple. People can voice your requests to them, but in the end, they want to appeal to millions and millions of people, not niche sim racers only.

I believe it´s the opposite. The more you drive real racing cars you realize how far off Forza and GT is and you discover which is more realistic.

Or you simply don´t care about it since nothing can compare and you go for ridge racer and burnout paradise ;)

Richard Burns Rally and iRacing is good example.

We all have to learn to accept GT and Forza for what they are. It's really that simple. People can voice your requests to them, but in the end, they want to appeal to millions and millions of people, not niche sim racers only.

This.

And on the subject of what is a sim and what is not, to me as soon as get semi realistic lap times from a racing game that emulates track layouts fairly well its a sim. Sim quality and level is an entirely different subject.

We live in a golden age of racing sims. Forza 4, GT5 spec 2.0... I choose to enjoy all of instead of taking sides. :cool:

Just had a go in the Zonda Cinque, the sound is well off, well off..

I like the new driving physics though, they feel more controllable and comforting.

Back