Forza 4 vs GT5 physics (read the first post before contributing)

Which game do you find has superior physics?

• Gran Turismo 5

Votes: 1,142 80.5%
  • Forza 4

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • They are equal

Votes: 110 7.8%

• Total voters
Then why did he say it was purely visual? Which would imply that the suspension movement we see is not related to the actual workings of the physics engine, which would make them fake.

Do you mean 'scenario'?

ITS THERE, just visually there scripted , just like so many games have canned suspension , when in fact the car does not move on those four wheels but moves as a independent body with those wheels reacting to the floor but having little to no effect on how they move * good example early ps1 games were the wheels were attached to teh body and did not move yet you could still turn", il look the video up, its a white bmw and you can see how the car irealistically aligns it self to the finished trajectory .

We agree. About the rest I was talking about the casual part of the game not the hardcore. I have not forget about it just that was not related to "easy physics = more sales" suggested in my first quote.

We agree but it's obvious that they aim to different levels of casuals.

Isn't a casual player a casual player? Wouldn't the "different types" still race with assists, bumping their way along, no damage, in the same way? I don't split up a casual player as being different to another casual player and neither does PD nor T10. Sorry but I disagree.

Isn't a casual player a casual player? Wouldn't the "different types" still race with assists, bumping their way along, no damage, in the same way? I don't split up a casual player as being different to another casual player and neither does PD nor T10. Sorry but I disagree.
Then we disagree, no problem.

This type of casual for example has no room in GT5 but could race, even win and have fun in FM4 with the right settings and without knowing the basics of a car handling.

2d9eiqgwujkc.gif

You are aware that person's not the originator of the video and its actually in regard to the (now patched) steering aid?

Yea I found the real one now... and if it was patched.. then 💡 Explains why just a week ago me and my friend were cracking up watching as every car did this on the last turn in La sarthe and our car had jelly suspension , I mean it looks realistic if it wassent a truly independent body that has no effect on the car itself , again the stuffs in the game but there not tied to what we see..
You need to know the basics of how games trick us to believing things happen. for example in uncharted three the boat flips over , For all i know that's a camera flip , but ND showed how it was a dynamic flip that actually happened, this is not the case for 95% of video games , hell forza has scripted body damage, killzone has a scripted sea.. ALL FPS have scripted animations . The wheels do things that have no effect on the car but say the bump you just hit DOES AFFECT THE CAR , now how the wheels move don't , i need to show you guys this on a basic Physics program like auto desk inventor etc . You guys will SEE that the industry does some shady stuff . And to PROVE my point, the best suspension work iv seen in a game is in motor storm pacific rift, the cars don't feel realistic at all and those bumps don't affect my handling but the wheels look like there taking a huge hit.. and there reacting to every little bump just like in real life . Just because it looks more realistic does not mean it will affect the car or the physics .

Then we disagree, no problem.

This type of casual for example has no room in GT5 but could race, even win and have fun in FM4 with the right settings and without knowing the basics of a car handling.

2d9eiqgwujkc.gif

Isn't it great that you posted an animated gif that is NOT Forza? That is Rally Ball from the family pack in game Kinect Adventures. I also believe that Forza can not be played with more than 1 player using Kinect. And to be on topic, when using Kinect all casual settings are on which is not how I play (all assists off, damage at full, simulation steering, wheel or pad alike). But my lady had fun air driving so why would I complain?
How 'core sim' is the Mario Kart jump from the Cape Ring circuit btw?

If you want to be more about core sim features, head tracking works well with it. I however am not a fan. Nice reach though ;)

Isn't it great that you posted an animated gif that is NOT Forza? That is Rally Ball from the family pack in game Kinect Adventures. I also believe that Forza can not be played with more than 1 player using Kinect. And to be on topic, when using Kinect all casual settings are on which is not how I play (all assists off, damage at full, simulation steering, wheel or pad alike). But my lady had fun air driving so why would I complain?

If you want to be more about core sim features, head tracking works well with it. I however am not a fan. Nice reach though ;)

Like all the jumps on the ring in forza 4..

B spec is hardcore ... no ordinary casual player would invest time and energy just to watch AI drone drove around and around to win races. I spent less than 10 percent of my play time in B spec and I play GT5 with no ABS ( which most consider hardcore ). I doubt casual player would dedicate their time to play B spec regularly ...

As far as I am aware that person's not the originator of the video and its actually in regard to the (now patched) steering aid.

I will take a better look in the morning.

I am the author a video with a white M5)) And I just heard that someone had stolen my video.
Perhaps to make a false description.I did it when I was playing on the joystick, and I was a little distressed, hidden, aid can not be disabled driving.

And I'm afraid that is hidden, help may be on the steering wheel 900 degrees.But when I bought the Fanatec and realized that turn10 make things right.Read more about their experience, and the problem of hidden help, I wrote in the video description.

description: forza4 is a great game, the best sim on the consoles. fm4 has better physics behavior of cars, but to expand it to the full-need a steering wheel 900 degrees and it is good

Fm4 has excellent physics. is quite different on the steering wheel 900 degrees and on the joystick.
Yes, when driving on the joystick, with disabled helpers have a small problem with the drift, but the description clearly says that the assistants should be off if you have experience of driving and steering wheel.

On the joystick is always there, can not be disabled care, and rightly so, otherwise the car would be uncontrollable, as the joystick and steep physicist incompatible.

But on the steering wheel does not help and it's really difficult. But it is very interesting

I had not had the opportunity to play Iracing and LFS. And these games are considered very steep
Recently, I did it.
And the steering wheel physics Forza 4 is worse, but not by much. In the LFS and Iracing little better implemented suspension and tires, but if physics Iracing - 10 out of 10, the physics of Forza 4 - 8 out of 10.
But the main thing that spoils the impression of fm4 - unintelligible feedback on the steering wheel due to the peculiarities of data protocols usb, on Xbox360
Forza 4 great game and gt5 can not even compare to her, almost on par with Forza PC Sims.

Later I made ​​a second series

Last edited:
Yea I found the real one now... and if it was patched.. then 💡 Explains why just a week ago me and my friend were cracking up watching as every car did this on the last turn in La sarthe and our car had jelly suspension , I mean it looks realistic if it wassent a truly independent body that has no effect on the car itself , again the stuffs in the game but there not tied to what we see..
You need to know the basics of how games trick us to believing things happen. for example in uncharted three the boat flips over , For all i know that's a camera flip , but ND showed how it was a dynamic flip that actually happened, this is not the case for 95% of video games , hell forza has scripted body damage, killzone has a scripted sea.. ALL FPS have scripted animations . The wheels do things that have no effect on the car but say the bump you just hit DOES AFFECT THE CAR , now how the wheels move don't , i need to show you guys this on a basic Physics program like auto desk inventor etc . You guys will SEE that the industry does some shady stuff . And to PROVE my point, the best suspension work iv seen in a game is in motor storm pacific rift, the cars don't feel realistic at all and those bumps don't affect my handling but the wheels look like there taking a huge hit.. and there reacting to every little bump just like in real life . Just because it looks more realistic does not mean it will affect the car or the physics .

I have to admit that I'm now at an almost total loss to understand exactly what you are attempting to say here?

So if I may a few questions.

• In FM4 does the physics engine model the transfer of load on and off of the cars four suspension points?
  • Is that then represented visually?
  • In FM4 does the physics engine model the transfer of force from the track surface (both primary and secondary forces) to the suspension in a manner than will affect the car?
  • Is that then represented visually?

By the way Dan Greenwalt said in an interview that the development fm4 first paid much attention to modeling the correct turning radius for each car.
And the angle of the front wheels.And I think this is not enough gt5,
I think in gt5 angle of the wheels excessively large

This gt5 note how much to turn the wheel
gyIdiPQDV9M.jpg

This is a real car, but I have no information on how the wheels are turned as much as possible, or not
4SCwVc6mfkw.jpg

This fm4, joystick, wheels are turned maximally.
qzOv6IWZ9BA.jpg

This fm4, control the steering wheel, the maximum angle of rotation of the wheels (see that This is no different from what is on the joystick)
FmvX7F_-FI4.jpg

all vehicles are photographed in the static

Here are some other real car pictures with the wheel at closer to max turning angle :

2011-Wheelsandmore-Audi-R8-V10-6-Front-Angle-480.jpg

2012-audi-r8-gt-fd.jpg

2012-Audi-R8-5.2-Spyder-quattro-Auto-R-tronic-Angular-Front-Image-580x407.jpg

Pretty similar to GT5 :

gyIdiPQDV9M.jpg

I think FM4 should have a bit more turning angle :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see how a home console could even have the capabilities to script a racing game.

My logic is that in order to script physics you would have to write a script for every part of the track. Approached by any angle and at any speed. Surely that would be more work than just writing a decent physics engine. Or an I missing something here? The combinations are too immense.

I've had cars go on two wheels and have been able to correct it with proper steering inputs. If it was scripted I would never correct any/or they would all flip.

Here are some other real car pictures with the wheel at closer to max turning angle :

Pretty similar to GT5

I think FM4 should have a bit more turning angle :)

Agreed. The car's front wheels @shved111 posted obviously isn't fully turned, therefore its front wheels won't be fully angeled... GT5 did got it perfect.

Sorry needed to be said. :sly:

Back on topic...

Unless you can get the exact same distance, height, angle, etc. from the car then its going to be pretty much impossible to say which is 'right'. What I can say is that neither allows a wheel angle of 90 degrees (which someone did once claim).

Shved, you have good points and we agree on many of them.

In order not to repeat myself from this very thread, here are some of my previous entries on this subject, feel free to read them and comment on them if you like:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6932609#post6932609

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7304551#post7304551

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7308370#post7308370

Also, from another forum, but also related to Forza 4 physics, wheel support and similar:

About the X360 issues with handling force feedback wheels (2009 thread related to Forza 3)

About X360/Forza issues regarding HID/XID

About Microsoft policy regarding HID/XID devices

About lots of similar subjects

Scaff
Unless you can get the exact same distance, height, angle, etc. from the car then its going to be pretty much impossible to say which is 'right'. What I can say is that neither allows a wheel angle of 90 degrees (which someone did once claim).

Hahahaha this...

ForumRunner_20120911_040813_zps51ce5171.jpg

About as close as you are going to get to that hahaha

Yes I know, it's obvious that they are not playing a driving game, no way four FM4 players at the time. As I said was an example of a different type of casual gamer as seen in the previous vids. You put one great example of them with your lady.

By "correct settings" I was referring to kinect gameplay, pad or air wheel with all the assists available. Kinect being the more casual type possible.

And for the record all my previous posts mean about the skills needed to play and control the car not the track layout or I would added things like the FM4 bowling and soccer game to the list.

Hmm, it seems you are right, why then in fm4 so? I do not know the answer .. Maybe this is only R8 V10 model, rather than the standard R8 V8?

Both models V8 and V10 have the same steering ratio of 17.3:1, and they also share the exact exterior dimensions :

Wheelbase 104.3 in
Length, Overall 174.5 in
Width, Max w/o mirrors 75.0 in
Height, Overall 49.3 in
Track Width, Front 64.3 in
Track Width, Rear 62.8 in
Min Ground Clearance N/A in
Liftover Height 31.1 in
Turning Diameter - Curb to Curb 38.7 ft

Both specs from 2010 Audi R8 4.2 V8 and 5.2 V10, I guess both have the same maximum steering lock, you can also check other years model here :

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/audi/r8/2010/audi-r8/specs

Here is a formula to calculate the steering angle :

turning circle radius = (track/2) + (wheelbase/sin(average steer angle))

Last edited:
Shved, you have good points and we agree on many of them.

In order not to repeat myself from this very thread, here are some of my previous entries on this subject, feel free to read them and comment on them if you like:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6932609#post6932609

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7304551#post7304551

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7308370#post7308370

Also, from another forum, but also related to Forza 4 physics, wheel support and similar:

About the X360 issues with handling force feedback wheels (2009 thread related to Forza 3)

About X360/Forza issues regarding HID/XID

About Microsoft policy regarding HID/XID devices

About lots of similar subjects

Thanks, this is very useful information.
But for many people physics - it's the quality of the feedback on the steering wheel. But I think otherwiseOf course feedback is important, but I spent many years playing in GT3, gt4, Enthusia, fm2 the joystick.

And it did not stop me to understand where the physics better, and where worse.In my understanding physics is quite simple: 1) it is the right degree elastic suspension, rolls, and dynamic distribution of vehicle weight.
2) Correct inertia braking distances.

3) The correct center of gravity, and 4) the lack of hidden mechanisms facilitate driving (for example, in fm4 with mild collision with the wall when drifting at high speed your car out of control, spinning, or roll over. And, Forza Horizon, a car will react very calmly and go on.)

This is an honest physics, and make it easy, it can make even three people as it was with LFS or Asseto corsa.
But in gt5 is not.
That is, for example Enthusia did almost ideal base case of physics, for the Racing game, and the better you can do.

You can only improve fine nuances.It is much more difficult to model the deformation of the tire, it takes years of work, and no one has done it perfectly.Make feedback that would be good to work on different controllers is also very difficult.

But the basic ideal, physics has long been thought up in the mid 2000s LFS, Enthusia, Iracing and. These games do not differ on the suspension, inertia, and so. People argue that it is better, but the object of the dispute are the only feedback and model deformation of the tire.

The problem is that the physics of gt5 in 2010, does not match a, these games as LFS and FM4 Because gt5 suspension was as a racing kart, not as a road car.* ,

The work of wheel tires was outdated in gt5 do not model deformation of the tire.Besides understated center of gravity of the car body. All this makes driving in gt5 like go-karting and not realistic.
In gt5 no magic physics, physics of gt5, just outdated, does not correspond to standard simulators last 5 years.

Physics gt5 suspension changed in the autumn of 2012. There is no sense to discuss the nuances of physics and driving, when the basic foundations of physics do not correspond to reality and standards of modern auto simulators.

Feedback is the only addition to physics, not the kernel. The core of physics is to a car was riding in accordance with the real and you will feel it is even playing on the joystick

When I played gt4 and fm2, I had no steering, but I felt that fm2, far superior gt4. I felt the behavior of the tire.
Then I played in Enthusia on the joystick, and I also feel that Enthusia suspension is much better than in fm2 and gt4 compared to Enthusia - a child's toy.

And I felt that the tires are in fm2 a lot better than in Enthusia and tires, are the weakest physics Enthusia When I first turned on gt5, my DFGT had to borrow my friend.

And I was playing gt5 on the joystickand I understood all about the physics of gt5, a few minutes drive from the first turn

When I used the DFGT my thoughts were confirmed.Then I played in gt4, Enthusia, Gt5 on the steering wheel DFGT and Fanatec gt2 and it not strongly changed my opinion.When I bought the X360 and fm4, I did not have Fanatec and I drove a few months on the joystick.

But despite this, I knew from the first minute richness and realism of physics fm4. IMHO even driving on the steering wheel gt5, more boring than driving on the joystick in fm4.

Of course with the steering wheel you get more information from the experience of driving, and I have no doubt that CSR-Elitte further enrich the driving experience. But 80% of the physics of the game is clear even when driving on the joystick.

My logic is that in order to script physics you would have to write a script for every part of the track. Approached by any angle and at any speed. Surely that would be more work than just writing a decent physics engine. Or an I missing something here? The combinations are too immense.

Yes, accurate looking scripts would be many times more difficult than using an actual physics engine.

B spec is hardcore ... no ordinary casual player would invest time and energy just to watch AI drone drove around and around to win races.
They don't have to. They can let the AI race and then go do something else.

I can't see how a home console could even have the capabilities to script a racing game.

I've had cars go on two wheels and have been able to correct it with proper steering inputs. If it was scripted I would never correct any/or they would all flip.
A scripted physic does not mean that can not be interfered by the player at any time or interact by their inputs.

This was a perfect example of that:

Yeah FM3, I know... for illustrative purposes only.

Both models V8 and V10 have the same steering ratio of 17.3:1, and they also share the exact exterior dimensions :

Wheelbase 104.3 in
Length, Overall 174.5 in
Width, Max w/o mirrors 75.0 in
Height, Overall 49.3 in
Track Width, Front 64.3 in
Track Width, Rear 62.8 in
Min Ground Clearance N/A in
Liftover Height 31.1 in
Turning Diameter - Curb to Curb 38.7 ft

Both specs from 2010 Audi R8 4.2 V8 and 5.2 V10, I guess both have the same maximum steering lock, you can also check other years model here :

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/audi/r8/2010/audi-r8/specs

Here is a formula to calculate the steering angle :

turning circle radius = (track/2) + (wheelbase/sin(average steer angle))

I know of a car with the worst turning radius - it Reanault Clio V6

6hAYdhhAy34.jpg

They don't have to. They can let the AI race and then go do something else.

Yes, you can, but most players would have to go back from time to time to make sure the drone make it to the finish line in 1st place, I am not sure if most casual players would play B spec more than 10 - 20 % of their total playtime in GT5, as the RPG style demands continuous play to increase driver level - dedication to spent lots of time doing B spec event & remote races. In my view, if a player willing to spend their play time in B spec from time to time, I would say the player is not a casual player anymore.

I'm not quite sure the FM4 vs GT5 physics thread is the best place to discuss anything B-Spec related.

Back