Forza 4 VS GT5 (read the first post before you contribute)

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 2,850 comments
GT5 is no where NEAR a product of the capabilities of PD.
I agree with most of your post, and especially with this. This is why it irks me a bit when people claim that GT5 is fine as it is... I want PD to return to theeir former self und create some games that are head and shoulders above the competition.

That won't happen if everyone's happy with even a half-finished product, though. That's my expectation, at least.

Well, I guess its not just me then. There are parts of Nurburgring in FM4 that I don't recognize from GT5 or even Shift 2. The track seems less complex in many areas and there is on big dip I don't remember in either of the other two versions.
Where is this dip you are talking about?

How many times do you need to wobble down a straight in GT5 before you realize which game is better? In racing titles it's all about the gameplay.
No doubt. I argued about this with my friend for sooooooo long. Finally I somehow found out about the "speed wobble" while the car was parked. I think he mentioned that this was now fixed though.

I agree with most of your post, and especially with this. This is why it irks me a bit when people claim that GT5 is fine as it is... I want PD to return to theeir former self und create some games that are head and shoulders above the competition.

That won't happen if everyone's happy with even a half-finished product, though. That's my expectation, at least.

I agree with you. GT5 isn't a bad game, but it is an unfinished one. Polyphony Digital do have the talent to make a masterpiece (Previous GT games proved that), they just need to work really hard, stop doing pointless non-GT related stuff and make a proper product plan. If they focused entirely on the next Gran Turismo game, instead of designing concept cars (Citroen GT, Red Bull X2010/X2011), I think they could make GT6 fantastic.

One thing to remember as well... competition breeds excellence and the consumer is the one who benefits the most. If Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport were not competing with each other, then neither game would need to improve. 👍

Which goes back to the Veyron would have been a premium given enough time and it may be one yet. Kaz has said several times he would like to do that. Since their DLC sold a million units a year after release, they are going to be putting more out every 2 months.

The decision to make a Prius premium over a Veyron is silly for 1 simple reason. Accessibility. Sure put the car in and have it there so you can drive your car in the game, I won't argue that point. Focusing on the interior and exterior of a car you already have rather than the car you may never get to see in your lifetime... that seems like a really silly idea.

Its what happens with the publisher forces the studio it owns to put out software years early.

No this is what happens when a project isn't managed properly.

VW, there's an edit button on the bottom right-hand corner of where you post.

Please use it. It works.

Well said. 👍
Mine as well.

Very fair and even handed review. Well done pasigiri.

Thanks everyone. Like I said it's just my view on the two games. There is one thing I am concerned with and that's about getting the Fanatec CSR wheel. It works with Forza and GT5 but to what extent? The CSR was designed with Forza in mind and more than likely works VERY well with Forza. I wonder how it will work with GT5? Will it work as well as my G27? I would really like to see a review of both the wheels used with GT5. I think that that kind of comparison would take the edge off of the physics wars between Forza and GT. I think I might do this since all I need is the CSR (anybody ever hook one up to the Wheel Stand Pro by chance???).

Wheel comparison experiment with GT5 proposal (hopefully I get a chance to do this):
Tracks - Suzuka and Nurburgring (sunny weather, day time)
Car - Mazda RX-8
Modifications - lowest level suspension upgrade, sport mediums tires, sport exhaust and mid pipe, racing flywheel, sport clutch???(my clutch was semi-race), sport intake
Driving - no assists on, ABS at 1, real grip

Reason for the mods are because my RX8 in real life was setup this way (I miss that car *sniff*). I'll have to limit the power because GT5 kind of exaggerates the power increase on the RX8.

I don't think that would be a fair test as the modifications although the same would change each car differently in regards to handling, shift time how grippy the tyres are the variables are endless

VW: double posting is frowned upon here (and at GTplanet), and I agree with the rule. There's a button next to the quote button that looks like two speech bubbles. If you click that for each post you want to quote, then click quote on the final post, you can quote all the posts in a single reply. This is preferable to people who quote one person at a time and end up having a bunch of posts in a row, which is very unnecessary.

Thanks everyone. Like I said it's just my view on the two games. There is one thing I am concerned with and that's about getting the Fanatec CSR wheel. It works with Forza and GT5 but to what extent? The CSR was designed with Forza in mind and more than likely works VERY well with Forza. I wonder how it will work with GT5? Will it work as well as my G27? I would really like to see a review of both the wheels used with GT5. I think that that kind of comparison would take the edge off of the physics wars between Forza and GT. I think I might do this since all I need is the CSR (anybody ever hook one up to the Wheel Stand Pro by chance???).

Wheel comparison experiment with GT5 proposal (hopefully I get a chance to do this):
Car - Mazda RX-8
Modifications - lowest level suspension upgrade, sport mediums tires, sport exhaust and mid pipe, racing flywheel, sport clutch???(my clutch was semi-race), sport intake

Reason for the mods are because my RX8 in real life was setup this way (I miss that car *sniff*). I'll have to limit the power because GT5 kind of exaggerates the power increase on the RX8.

Well for me it blew the G27 away IMO. I have the G27 and the Porsche 911 Turbo S which is the older version of the Fanatec CSR wheel. The G27 felt too notchy due to the gears. It took the immersion factor away quick for me because I knew I was using a toy. Whereas with the belt driven Fanatec it felt more like what I was used to driving everyday. Something that rotates smooth and familiar. Also, because of the secondary effects motor , you get more feedback with the Fanatec and Forza. Being that GT5 doesn't use these motors you'll get basically the same feedback you got before on that game but at least a bit more realistic. If you get the Clubsport Pedals then it's no contest. They are without a doubt the best pedal set you can get for the money and then some. I can almost guarantee that if you get the Fanatec your G27 will be doing the same thing mine is, sitting in it's box collecting dust.

VW: double posting is frowned upon here (and at GTplanet), and I agree with the rule. There's a button next to the quote button that looks like two speech bubbles. If you click that for each post you want to quote, then click quote on the final post, you can quote all the posts in a single reply. This is preferable to people who quote one person at a time and end up having a bunch of posts in a row, which is very unnecessary.

It wasn't a double post. I was unable to see my post (I'm not sure if there is an approval process or not for new members) so couldn't edit it.

I don't think that would be a fair test as the modifications although the same would change each car differently in regards to handling, shift time how grippy the tyres are the variables are endless

I think your right. Maybe just leave the 8 stock and go from there.

Well for me it blew the G27 away IMO. I have the G27 and the Porsche 911 Turbo S which is the older version of the Fanatec CSR wheel. The G27 felt too notchy due to the gears. It took the immersion factor away quick for me because I knew I was using a toy. Whereas with the belt driven Fanatec it felt more like what I was used to driving everyday. Something that rotates smooth and familiar. Also, because of the secondary effects motor , you get more feedback with the Fanatec and Forza. Being that GT5 doesn't use these motors you'll get basically the same feedback you got before on that game but at least a bit more realistic. If you get the Clubsport Pedals then it's no contest. They are without a doubt the best pedal set you can get for the money and then some. I can almost guarantee that if you get the Fanatec your G27 will be doing the same thing mine is, sitting in it's box collecting dust.

$200.00 for the Clubsport pedals????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤬
Do you know how the Forza Motorsport CSR wheel value pack is? Specifically the pedals that come with it?

$200.00 for the Clubsport pedals????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤬
Do you know how the Forza Motorsport CSR wheel value pack is? Specifically the pedals that come with it?

The elite pedals are built with similar concepts in mind to the Clubsport pedals. A pro is that it has an optional inversion kit. It also shares the load sensor technology that is one of the highlights of using the CSP's. A con is that the outside pedals aren't contactless sensors so can wear. They are alos mostly metal with some parts being made out of plastic. They sell for about 50 USD less. The regular CSR's apparently aren't bad either. I would head over to insidesimracing and have a look to see. The CSR's are 50 USD less than the CSR Elite pedals if I remember correctly.

It wasn't a double post. I was unable to see my post (I'm not sure if there is an approval process or not for new members) so couldn't edit it.

It isn't a double post now because I've merged the original two together. There's no approval method for new members (other than verifying your account information to begin contributing here). Next time before you post and you want to respond to multiple people, multi-quote them (using the aforementioned speech bubble next to the exit button) and you'll be fine.

We were warned by mods to not keep taking pot shots at each other so i chose to ignore you. Please, i like it round here, i'll ignore you and you ignore me and we will maybe get to stick around. ok?

cheers. thats the last time i'll ever respond to you.

I even PM'd you. You challenged me to a $20 via Pay Pal race and even said you'd beat me using the crap MS wheel. I'm not taking pot shots, I'm calling your bluff. PM me if you want to save face.

Keep the egos in check. You sent him a PM, fine. The rest of the thread doesn't need to know that, or how much was wagered.

Keep unrelated matters out to this thread. I'm not going to repeat that again.

PzR Slim
But I did so safe in the knowledge that GT5 would be along soon to teach this young upstart of a game how to do it properly. I expected perfection, so much so that I preordered a signature edition as soon as I could and bought and extra two PS3's and two more copies of the game to play triple screen. I used to sit whilst those I played FM waxed lyrical about how great the game was with a smug demeanour thinking 'you just wait until GT comes along.'

I feel hugely let down.
We had the same thing, but we managed to return 2 of them unopened. It was a year ago and I remember so much push on the 3D that I can't even remember if multi monitor ended up making it to the launch version. We opened the Signature Edition, we played for an evening and I grew more and more disappointed. I eventually landed on taking 2 of the copies back. I wasn't interested in spending anymore money on the game. We ended up waiting 29 days to return it and then gave up.

The rewards cars are also MUCH better in Forza 4 compared to GT5. In GT5 I did get a few great cars for golding or completing events but many made me go WTF????? In Forza 4, I love having the option and the more you progress in the game, in general, the better the car options. In prior FMs you got 1 car and it started at the low end and made it's way up to those prototype LeMans cars.

One bastardization idea from GT5 was the whole trucks thing. First off I'm not a fan of trucks, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc in racing games unless I'm offroad rallying in a Dakar spec Touraeg or (and I hate Nascar) a Nascar pick up truck series.
What's really odd about this in FM4 is that they modified the reward system from GT1 and maybe GT2. Does anyone remember that slot machine / rotating setup where you got to try your luck at winning the car you wanted? That was such a great idea giving us a choice of what we wanted. Why did it get removed?

I'm with you on that truck thing... I get why it's there, I would rather there have been something else.

Car - Mazda RX-8
The CSR wasn't really designed with Forza in mind. There are some thing limited there to assure xbox compatibility (similar to the PWTS and GT2) but it very much is a multi console wheel. The guts are upgrades to the Porsche wheel line, which included the GT3RS wheel (compatible with PS3 / PC). As far as I know the Fanatec wheels use the Logitech G27 driver with GT5. So everything you experience with your G27 you should experience with the Fanatec wheel. You will have some on wheel tuning, that will enable you to try and tailor it more to the experience you want.

Make sure to post back on what you find with the RX-8.

A VW Bus and WWII relic as opposed to a Scirocco R and Golf R??? The Audi RS6 Avant? A station wagon over the RS5 or TT-RS? Come on, really?
I'd love to see the VW Bus and Schwimmwagen in Forza. Imagine the customizability of this game applied to the Bus. Engine swaps anyone? Giant slab-sided canvas?

Also I think you may underestimate the popularity of Audi's RS Avants. In my case, the RS2 is the only AWD wagon in this game I can use as a surrogate for my Subaru, though the Subaru 22B is built off the same engine and has similar interior bits to look at. I've been driving the 22B a lot lately, with a racing diff tuned to be open in the front and rear and a 50% split so I can practice my AWD driving before winter comes. This is Gran Turismo/Forza, not iRacing -- half the point of these games is being able to drive cars we might drive in real life, or at least something like them.

If Turn 10 saw fit to add the '96-'98 Legacy GT-B wagon as DLC (my Legacy is a '97), I'd obviously drive that instead. With 276hp @ ~3200lbs., why not? I'm pretty sure GT5 has that one, too.

You may think the cars you listed are lame, but I have little to no interest in another brand-new FWD hatchback (Scirocco R), the Golf lineage makes it into all sorts of games already, and IMO the RS5 is just another bland Audi sedan but with a genetic deformity. However, I wouldn't call for their exclusion from a game, so why complain about something like the RS6?

It isn't only you this is addressed to, so it's nothing personal. All the outrage in this thread over "slow" or even just "ugly/uncool" cars is getting old. Enthusiasts who like those cars use this forum too. Act like we're standing in the same room, or else we'll have more arguments like the inane Prius VS Veyron nonsense in here.

No game will ever make everyone happy, and there will always be excluded cars. But one thing to consider is the more unconventional cars you include, the more people you'll make happy who have no other game to turn to. I would think those are the customers you want to hook -- everyone else could wander off to another game at any time.

Who needs to play Forza to drive a Supra/Skyline/RX-7/Impreza/Evo/Corvette/Viper/Mustang/911*/M3/SLR/R8/DB9/XK-R/Sagaris/Exige/Enzo/Gallardo?

* - only in RUF form for FM4, of course

I'd love to see the VW Bus and Schwimmwagen in Forza.
Me too, as some lo-poly-count fill-in cars that you jump over in a Evil Kenevil ramp jump kinda thing.

knievel_bbc_416.jpg

Look at all those yellow potential VW Buses and Schwimmwagens!

It'd almost be worth failing the jump just to smash into them again and again on rewind :lol:

There is one thing I am concerned with and that's about getting the Fanatec CSR wheel. It works with Forza and GT5 but to what extent? The CSR was designed with Forza in mind and more than likely works VERY well with Forza. I wonder how it will work with GT5? Will it work as well as my G27? I would really like to see a review of both the wheels used with GT5. I think that that kind of comparison would take the edge off of the physics wars between Forza and GT. I think I might do this since all I need is the CSR (anybody ever hook one up to the Wheel Stand Pro by chance???).

The DFGT was designed with GT in mind but works well for other sims on the PS3 and PC. The CSR is just badged FM and has Xbox compatibility but should work very well for GT. I don't care for GT so I can't provide an exhaustive opinion but it felt much better than my DFGT. As for a comparison to the G27, how do you put up with the noise :boggled:. The CSR is so quiet 👍
I am using my CSR and Elite pedals on a WSP. I drilled two extra holes in the wheel plate so I could use more than two bolts for hard-mounting the wheel. The pedals bolted to the bottom rails without much work - I made a simple cross bar and used the mounting screw holes provided in the pedal base.

:cheers:

As for the Schwimmwagen, whatever, but on the other hand would it be any worse than the H1?

It isn't only you this is addressed to, so it's nothing personal. All the outrage in this thread over "slow" or even just "ugly/uncool" cars is getting old. Enthusiasts who like those cars use this forum too. Act like we're standing in the same room, or else we'll have more arguments like the inane Prius VS Veyron nonsense in here.
You know, there is, in my opinion, a pretty big difference in adding reasonable cars that a lot of people might have as their daily driver, and adding stuff that's too attrocious for most people to even drive in real life.

I mean, when was the last time you've seen someone drive around in a Schwimmwagen?

Who needs to play Forza to drive a Supra/Skyline/RX-7/Impreza/Evo/Corvette/Viper/Mustang/911*/M3/SLR/R8/DB9/XK-R/Sagaris/Exige/Enzo/Gallardo?

* - only in RUF form for FM4, of course
People who like those ask but are not able to afford them in real life?

The whole 'daily drivers' debate misses one big thing: A lot of people drive their daily drivers because of reasons like afforability, cargo space, reliability and whatnot. I guess there are only a very few people who are actually lucky enough to drive a car they actually want as their daily driver... I mean, really, I doubt most guys drive their little '90s Ford Fiesta with the smallest engine configuration possible because they think the car is cool or fun to drive.

Plus, I'd say that there are more people (at least on GTPlanet) with Imprezas, RX-7s or M3s than Samba Busses or Schwimmwagens.

You know, there is, in my opinion, a pretty big difference in adding reasonable cars that a lot of people might have as their daily driver, and adding stuff that's too attrocious for most people to even drive in real life.

I mean, when was the last time you've seen someone drive around in a Schwimmwagen?
When's the last time you've seen someone drive around in a '57 Bel-Air? The implication was never that players have to own these cars.

The whole 'daily drivers' debate misses one big thing: A lot of people drive their daily drivers because of reasons like afforability, cargo space, reliability and whatnot. I guess there are only a very few people who are actually lucky enough to drive a car they actually want as their daily driver... I mean, really, I doubt most guys drive their little '90s Ford Fiesta with the smallest engine configuration possible because they think the car is cool or fun to drive.
A hamster-engined Fiesta is literally an ocean apart from what most cars are like in the united states, where V6s are a base engine choice, gas is cheap, driving is considered an expected part of life, insurance is cheap or not legally required, inspections are minimal or not required, and police surveillance of the roads is spotty at best.

But americans don't even need a V8, RWD, and all that good stuff to love their car dearly. I'll back underdog cars all day but even I find a community like this to be rather strange. :ill:

Although FM4 has no Cavaliers, it does have several unusual picks -- and some people appreciate it. I bet some of these guys would appreciate playing with a base model '90s Fiesta. Fortunately for them Turn 10 was kind enough to include the 2009 Zetec S. :)

This isn't some shift in the purpose or vision of the game. It's a part of its Gran-Turismo-derived DNA.

Plus, I'd say that there are more people (at least on GTPlanet) with Imprezas, RX-7s or M3s than Samba Busses or Schwimmwagens.
You have to admit there's nothing really interesting to do with either of those in GT5, except the irritating Top Gear challenges. Yes, the Schwimmwagen is a true oddball (not that that's a reason to chuck it), but there's really nothing offensive about the Typ 2. With RWD it's got a built-in performance leg-up on most of the other "civilian" vehicles in both GT5 and FM4. The video above is very much like what Forza would allow you to build, except it'd have some newer VW engine.

Back