Forza 4 VS GT5 (read the first post before you contribute)

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 2,850 comments
One day, PD will have you pay real money for an in-game car purchase. And for the car maintenance, too. And some people will defend that by saying 'real racing costs money, this is the real driving simulator, so it should cost real money'...

And you assume that users of GT5 are too dumb to know how to duplicate paint.

Not at all, most of us simply question the need to do it in the first place.

Why not be able to paint a car any colour without having to collect it each time we want to, paying (in-game) is not the issue, collecting the damn things first is.

Scaff

I recall Top Gear Overdrive for the Nintendo 64 offered custom colors in a hue-lightness map. I don't know if anything earlier did, but that game came out right after Gran Turismo (1).

So depending on who you ask, GT5 has an inferior painting system to a 13-year-old game that lets you drive as a hot dog or taco on wheels. :dopey:

And you assume that users of GT5 are too dumb to know how to duplicate paint.

That's not the point though really is it? PD didn't intend that we dupe the paints. They intended that we give them 1.99 for a bunch of paint chips and then give them another 1.99 once we have used them. That is the point. Some where pointing the finger at T10 for being money grabbing for having a pre release DLC strategy mapped out. Others pointed out that PD expected you to pay for one use paint chips. I know which I think is worse.

Prius. An Icon.

Fleet of Ferraris ruined in Japan sportscar pileup

(AP) – 58 minutes ago

TOKYO (AP) — An outing of luxury sportscar enthusiasts in Japan ended in an expensive freeway pileup — smashing a stunning eight Ferraris, a Lamborghini, a Prius and two Mercedes likely worth more than $1 million together.

Police say they believe the accident Sunday was touched off when the driver of one of the Ferraris tried to change lanes and hit the median barrier. He spun across the freeway, and the other cars collided while trying to avoid hitting his car.

Video of the crash aired by NTV, a major national network, showed several smashed, bright red Ferraris cluttering the freeway.

Even a used Ferrari in Japan can fetch $100,000 or more, meaning the total damage may be $1 million or more.

Police declined to comment on the total amount of damage, but said some of the vehicles were beyond repair.

NTV quoted the driver of one of the tow trucks brought in to clear the scene as saying it was the most expensive crash site he had ever seen.

No one was seriously injured, but police in Yamaguchi prefecture said 10 people were treated for bruises and cuts. Police say 14 cars were involved altogether.

The luxury cars were all in one place because they were being driven by a group of automobile enthusiasts on their way to nearby Hiroshima.

ALeqM5gt1GM99fY--qvH3z6I5eS1en4J0A

:lol:

The above photograph is a fairly good indication of the direction this thread has taken - towards a car crash. Even Prius owners don't think the car is iconic for what it's worth.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/58760-define-iconic.html

ROFLOL. Yeah, that post with half a dozen Prius owners represents all 2 million owners thinking. Guess you missed, in the same thread,

Gen2 Prius -

'The hybrid'
The most fuel efficient car in production in 2008
Instantly recognizable as a hybrid-electric car

The most sold hybrid car around the world, by a wide margin

Edmunds uses the Gen2 as its hybrid icon.

http://www.edmunds.com/new-cars/

Relevant to this thread?

Ferrari Virtual Academy vs Gran Turismo 5 - Ferrari F10 at Nurburgring

Ferrari Virtual Academy vs Forza Motorsport 4 - Ferrari F458 Challenge at Mugello

Points of interest; FVA has laser scanned tracks. and is the licensed and sold directly by Ferrari
GT5's Nurburg looks very accurate at 1st sight. But then it would be being the Ring :lol: FM4 seems to have an older version of Mugello looking at the rumble strips sadface.gif but other than that still looks great at 1st sight.

Sounds go to FM4 vs FVA and FVA vs GT5. this is as far as I've got into the analysis :D

really does shows how much more grip the GT5 F1 cars have.

While the 458 challenge is pretty similiar, they need better driver for these vids though!

The Veyron is an automotive icon because it was, for some time, the fastest production car made. It was able to do some crazy things related to the technical achievements the car has and is this generation's Countach or McLaren F1, legends or icons of the automotive world. It won numerous automotive awards and has had numerous articles and books written about it's accomplishments, even a recent one named 'Quest for Perfection'. It is the 12th fastest car around the Top Gear track and pulled a 7:40 on Nurburgring's Nordschleife in traffic. It was new to the GT franchise in GT PSP, much after GT4 and not in GT5P at all, so why is this car a standard in a racing game and a Prius a premium?? What is iconic about the Prius? Fuel economy, and the fact that the bulk of buyers got duped into thinking how green it is. There's no excuse as to why the Veyron is a standard, nor why it drives like a whale in GT5. I know it's a 2 ton vehicle but it drives much better than the way PD portrayed it in their latest GT game.

Regarding DLC, I do think that T10 purposely held off on car content to make it as DLC and even so it is still not as bad as PD's DLC. The only worthy thing in GT5's DLC is the track pack because Spa is awesome, the disco inferno kart track is great, and Spa is awesome (yes, I mentioned that twice lol). Spa doesn't have weather nor time shift though. The paint chips are an absolute joke to charge for, the race helmets and suits is laughable at best but a game launched with 1000+ cars where only 19 are racemoddable, they charged you to race mod a few more cars and the Prius is one of them!!!! that's a sham in my book, far more than what T10 did by announcing monthly DLC or rereleasing their game with exclusive content tied to it.

One last thing, I like dynamic time shift in GT5. I think it's done REALLY well, even though I don't like driving at night. Thing is this feature is only available on 3 tracks: Toscana (fictional), Nurburgring's Nord, and LeMans.

ROFLOL. Yeah, that post with half a dozen Prius owners represents all 2 million owners thinking. Guess you missed, in the same thread,

Woohoo, it's the most fuel efficient production car of 2008. I didn't realise that was more important than the fastest car of 2008...

Most recognizable hybrid you say? Those massive badges are a bit of a giveaway. :rolleyes:

I have been a GT fan for life. I have recently decided to give Forza a shot. I disagree with an earlier post in that I think GT4 was simply amazing. One of the best games I've ever played. So vast and deep, I literally played it for YEARS. I'm looking forward to playing FM4 as I haven't yet and one thing has me psyched up more than any other and it's barely been touched on here. The car list for Forza is just better. If you take the FM4 car list and copy/paste it into GT5 with no other changes, I'd never need a 360 I am the exact definition of a fanboy. I have never demanded perfection from PD. Give me realism, lots of beautiful cars (by cars I mean premium cars), lots of gorgeous locales to play in and let me buy, tune, tinker and slap paint and rims on to my hearts content. That is all I have ever required. But.. along the way I have grown weary of the Japanese bias. GT5 is the worst iteration of the entire series. That is why I cannot forgive the car list. I could look past it when the rest of the game was perfect. GT5 is flawed. I still love playing. Still want to crank up the PS3 to play. I would still buy a PS3 just to play GT5. Again. Its the romance. Its collecting all of the cars. Its killing yourself trying to get all golds in a license to unlock cars you can't get elsewhere. It WAS perfect. The car list is crazy long but was never perfect. It was forgiven until now and it's all Turn10's fault. I'm a car nut. I'm not a gamer. Never was one. I own 3 games for my PS3. GT5, Madden 10 and AC: Brotherhood. I bought Madden so I could fire up the PS3 until GT came out. Brotherhood was a gift after I was blown away by how much fun the first Assassins Creed was. I only needed GT5. But FM4's carlist is just too perfect to ignore. And the DLC means that the game keeps getting better and better. I'll always be a GT fanboy. I'll just be playing Forza for a while here real soon. I don't know which one is better. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread... :)

Relevant to this thread?

Ferrari Virtual Academy vs Gran Turismo 5 - Ferrari F10 at Nurburgring

Ferrari Virtual Academy vs Forza Motorsport 4 - Ferrari F458 Challenge at Mugello

I think what stands out there is not only how 🤬 real Gt5's Nurburgring GP is but also how much more accurate laser scanned tracks are. It would be good to know if this is Spec 2 or not because the f10's handle much much easier after spec 2.

Also i think it would be a great time to ask which has the more realistic tracks? (only real world of course).
Everyone knows GT5's ring is exceptional however what about the other tracks. Well from this video is is safe to say GT5 wins this category too in terms of how realistically they modelled the tracks.

Though it is known that GT5's laguna seca is a ps2 port so it does not look good.

Looking at that last video just confirms all the other GT5 FM4 comparison videos. Tracks look much more accurate in GT5 imo, especially the environment.

Guess it doesn't matter, if it says pretty much the same thing: that Prius is iconic for being a hybrid not iconic for being a great car.

(Oops: tree'd by ryanb98)

Prius. An Icon.

ALeqM5gt1GM99fY--qvH3z6I5eS1en4J0A

:lol:

I just picture that Prius being one of those damn AI cars changing lanes for no apparent reason with no signal whatsoever and causing the pile up. Of course it comes out without damage. Damn you Prius!!! :lol:

On the topic of tracks and track quality, I think that's FM4's weak point in multiple respects. We don't have enough. They're kinda rushed-looking. And IMO, most of them are too flat and straight to be appealing. I summarized my thoughts on each of them in the FM4 General thread.

I have been a GT fan for life. I have recently decided to give Forza a shot. I disagree with an earlier post in that I think GT4 was simply amazing. One of the best games I've ever played. So vast and deep, I literally played it for YEARS.
I think I know what post you mean. ;)

GT4 is really vast and deep. As a racing game, it was very good. It built upon GT3 in so many ways, and compared to GT5 it's a much more complete package. If you spend all of your time racing and not really doing other types of driving, it's fairly understandable to not notice any faults at all (aside from the quirks that are inseparable from the GT experience).

But the physics...if you're curious what I think on those, rather than dredging up off-topic complaints about a 7-year-old game it'd be better to just direct you to some of my posts on GTPlanet, or maybe the video that earned me the ire of thousands of YouTube commenters with stuck caps-lock keys. As I said above, GT4 is a really good game. I know exactly why so many people loved it. But it's no simulator. For me, it was utterly unplayable.

Although GT5 fixed most of the physics problems, I think you can understand why the game didn't "grab" me. I really wanted it to, though. I never expected FM4 to turn out like it has, so the future of console racing sims looked pretty bleak.

I'm looking forward to playing FM4 as I haven't yet and one thing has me psyched up more than any other and it's barely been touched on here. The car list for Forza is just better...
...FM4's carlist is just too perfect to ignore. And the DLC means that the game keeps getting better and better.
In one aspect, I agree completely. When it comes to cars a game like GT/Forza should have, FM4 has nailed so many of the important ones it's almost dizzying, and like you said, more keep coming in DLC. 👍

On the other hand, I have a soft spot for the oft-maligned compact cars, obscure old Japanese cars, and other "slow POSes" that everyone loves to hate, and I feel Forza could get away with tilting its car selection a little bit more in that direction. The December DLC seems to imply Turn 10 agrees.

I'll always be a GT fanboy. I'll just be playing Forza for a while here real soon. I don't know which one is better. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread... :)
Perhaps you're a bit early to this thread. :D But with a sensible attitude like yours you're certainly welcome here. 👍

I have been a GT fan for life. I have recently decided to give Forza a shot. I disagree with an earlier post in that I think GT4 was simply amazing. One of the best games I've ever played. So vast and deep, I literally played it for YEARS. I'm looking forward to playing FM4 as I haven't yet and one thing has me psyched up more than any other and it's barely been touched on here. The car list for Forza is just better. If you take the FM4 car list and copy/paste it into GT5 with no other changes, I'd never need a 360 I am the exact definition of a fanboy. I have never demanded perfection from PD. Give me realism, lots of beautiful cars (by cars I mean premium cars), lots of gorgeous locales to play in and let me buy, tune, tinker and slap paint and rims on to my hearts content. That is all I have ever required. But.. along the way I have grown weary of the Japanese bias. GT5 is the worst iteration of the entire series. That is why I cannot forgive the car list. I could look past it when the rest of the game was perfect. GT5 is flawed. I still love playing. Still want to crank up the PS3 to play. I would still buy a PS3 just to play GT5. Again. Its the romance. Its collecting all of the cars. Its killing yourself trying to get all golds in a license to unlock cars you can't get elsewhere. It WAS perfect. The car list is crazy long but was never perfect. It was forgiven until now and it's all Turn10's fault. I'm a car nut. I'm not a gamer. Never was one. I own 3 games for my PS3. GT5, Madden 10 and AC: Brotherhood. I bought Madden so I could fire up the PS3 until GT came out. Brotherhood was a gift after I was blown away by how much fun the first Assassins Creed was. I only needed GT5. But FM4's carlist is just too perfect to ignore. And the DLC means that the game keeps getting better and better. I'll always be a GT fanboy. I'll just be playing Forza for a while here real soon. I don't know which one is better. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread... :)

Really good post and very similar to my position. I jumped on the FM bandwagon earlier than you and really found a great group,of people to play online with. I guess I sold my soul to FM in a way, the game made it easy to do. But I did so safe in the knowledge that GT5 would be along soon to teach this young upstart of a game how to do it properly. I expected perfection, so much so that I preordered a signature edition as soon as I could and bought and extra two PS3's and two more copies of the game to play triple screen. I used to sit whilst those I played FM waxed lyrical about how great the game was with a smug demeanour thinking 'you just wait until GT comes along.'

I feel hugely let down. I still really enjoy to play GT5 and at times it makes me go wow but as a rounded experience it just can't touch FM4. FM4 gets everything just about spot on. GT5 whilst exceptional in places is so lacking in others that they can't be ignored. The quirkiness that made it so special in the past in just so out of place on today's gaming landscape, I think this is true of a lot of Japanese games, they seem to have stood still whilst gaming grew up. I'm glad GT5 got made, I enjoy playing it but it's no longer king for me. The young upstart does it quicker and better. I hope GT tries hard to reclaim its crown because as a multi platform gamer that means lots of win for me.👍

I cant believe someone is still trying to argue that a Prius is something more than just an economic car and its somehow a car we should aspire to....... oh dear....oh dear..oh dear.

Its not even a great car to save the planet as the carbon foot print to make just its battery is huge your actually better off in that respect buying a secondhand 5ltr car as the worst time for a cars carbon foot print is in its production.

fact...

The kind of person who chooses to drive a Prius isnt remotely interested in cars or driving games or racing. simple cold facts.

Really good post and very similar to my position. I jumped on the FM bandwagon earlier than you and really found a great group,of people to play online with. I guess I sold my soul to FM in a way, the game made it easy to do. But I did so safe in the knowledge that GT5 would be along soon to teach this young upstart of a game how to do it properly. I expected perfection, so much so that I preordered a signature edition as soon as I could and bought and extra two PS3's and two more copies of the game to play triple screen. I used to sit whilst those I played FM waxed lyrical about how great the game was with a smug demeanour thinking 'you just wait until GT comes along.'

I feel hugely let down. I still really enjoy to play GT5 and at times it makes me go wow but as a rounded experience it just can't touch FM4. FM4 gets everything just about spot on. GT5 whilst exceptional in places is so lacking in others that they can't be ignored. The quirkiness that made it so special in the past in just so out of place on today's gaming landscape, I think this is true of a lot of Japanese games, they seem to have stood still whilst gaming grew up. I'm glad GT5 got made, I enjoy playing it but it's no longer king for me. The young upstart does it quicker and better. I hope GT tries hard to reclaim its crown because as a multi platform gamer that means lots of win for me.👍

Exactly, even die hard GT fanbois should be at least glad that Turn 10 are trying to better the great GT franchise. What it does is create a heathly competion where the punter is the winner regardless.

Like with FIFA and PES, its been great cause the punter ends up with a choice and a game which has had to better itself at every turn.......

which is where GT5 failed IMO. Once they gave standard PS2 ported cars and no in car view....well it will be beyond me why till they sort it out for GT6.

Im amazed at just how little that bothers people but then again it amazes me how many people are happy drivng a car floating behind it.... where the immersion in that?

I like Forza's track quality. They are consistent in quality (like the cars) unlike GT5 where you'll get a great looking Nord (aside from 2D tree cutouts) and Rome circuit and then the legacy tracks look like updated HD versions without much HD updating.

In one aspect, I agree completely. When it comes to cars a game like GT/Forza should have, FM4 has nailed so many of the important ones it's almost dizzying, and like you said, more keep coming in DLC. 👍

On the other hand, I have a soft spot for the oft-maligned compact cars, obscure old Japanese cars, and other "slow POSes" that everyone loves to hate, and I feel Forza could get away with tilting its car selection a little bit more in that direction. The December DLC seems to imply Turn 10 agrees.

Perhaps you're a bit early to this thread. :D But with a sensible attitude like yours you're certainly welcome here. 👍

I'm with you there actually. love messing with all the little wierd cars that PD offers up, my problem is the imbalance of it towards japanese cars. I'd trade 30 Skylines, 25 Miatas and 20 RX7 FDs for '80's turbo Dodges, some brilliant Aussie cars, maybe even some quirky old British cars. Hell, give me a Lada over the 20th obscure Skyline sub-model. And then there's just the absolute horror of some of the really sgnificant cars that were just left out. Real American muscle cars, DTM cars, Australian V* Supercars, and the like. I could go on, but i think I'll just save my energy. Going to drive MY American muscle car to my buddy's house tonight to sample my copy of FM4 for myself. (don't get my 360 for 20 more days... there's always a way around!👍)

The rewards cars are also MUCH better in Forza 4 compared to GT5. In GT5 I did get a few great cars for golding or completing events but many made me go WTF????? In Forza 4, I love having the option and the more you progress in the game, in general, the better the car options. In prior FMs you got 1 car and it started at the low end and made it's way up to those prototype LeMans cars.

One bastardization idea from GT5 was the whole trucks thing. First off I'm not a fan of trucks, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc in racing games unless I'm offroad rallying in a Dakar spec Touraeg or (and I hate Nascar) a Nascar pick up truck series. To race in the pickup truck race you needed, obviously, a pick up truck. They are all standard so I had to go hunting in the UCD and never did see one come up (this was before the OCD being patched in). I did all the licenses up until the very last set and for competing (not golding btw) the 2nd to last license event you got a Dodge Ram quadcab, probably the heaviest and worst pick up truck in the game with 0 racing pedigree; where not a single license event anywhere in GT5 involved trucks. So yay, got the vehicle I needed! You need to modify it to a degree to race in Aspec and I had to modify it even more to 'race' in Bspec. The reward vehicles for both A and B spec pick up truck races? 2 versions of the DAIHATSU MIDGETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!!!!??!!!! Not a Ford F150 or a Chevy SSR... 2X MIDGETS!!!!!!!
This thing:
5274468342_55c66c2fae.jpg

WHY?!!?!!!!????

I cant believe someone is still trying to argue that a Prius is something more than just an economic car and its somehow a car we should aspire to....... oh dear....oh dear..oh dear.

Its not even a great car to save the planet as the carbon foot print to make just its battery is huge your actually better off in that respect buying a secondhand 5ltr car as the worst time for a cars carbon foot print is in its production.

fact...

The kind of person who chooses to drive a Prius isnt remotely interested in cars or driving games or racing. simple cold facts. QUOTE]

I don't even consider the Prius a car:tdown:

get the same MPG with a older honda civic stick shift

I'll take the civic every time

I'll bet I could beat artboy76 driving Prius. Who makes bets and then runs away? LOL

We were warned by mods to not keep taking pot shots at each other so i chose to ignore you. Please, i like it round here, i'll ignore you and you ignore me and we will maybe get to stick around. ok?

cheers. thats the last time i'll ever respond to you.

I had to comment on this thread. I am a big GT fan and always have been. I've got a G27 steering wheel with a wheel stand pro. I've been racing GT since GT3. But most recently FM has caught my eye (it was the Lambo Aventador to be honest). But seriously, for all of the fussing, hollering, and fanboy-ism, I decided to get a 360, Forza 4, and put them head to head to see with my own eyes.

My comparison is still ongoing (I have to get the Fanatec wheel to use with both), but so far all I can talk about is the AI, car selection, and track layouts/looks.

First things first; car selection and content:
FM4 has what I want. What most people want and dream of driving (minus EA's punk moves on some of our dreams). This is one of THE biggest reasons I got a 360 and FM4. Turn10 actually used their licenses to the fullest while PD kind of just ... well I'm not sure what they were thinking. A VW Bus and WWII relic as opposed to a Scirocco R and Golf R??? The Audi RS6 Avant? A station wagon over the RS5 or TT-RS? Come on, really? It's like the approach of selecting cars to ... be ... selected went like this:
Turn10 - What do people want to drive and dream of driving?
PD - What cars would we, as PD, want to have in our collection?
As for the way the cars looks (GT5's premiums I'm talking of), well this is really close in my opinion. Forza's cars look awesome. Highly detailed. But then so does GT5's; some of them requiring a double take. Now don't get me wrong. F4's car are ridiculously stunning. It's just that it should be known that the premium cars in GT5 are basically modeled with GT6 in mind. And it shows even if they were rendered for GT5. Standard cars, hang it up.

Tracks:
That's a mixed bag. Some tracks in both look just plain gorgeous. Forza blew me away with Bernese Alps, the Japanese mountain pass track (Fukaido???), and one of the Spanish tracks through the mountains. But on the flip side, the accuracy of actual tracks are badly off (Nurburgring was pretty disappointing compared to GT5's). And that's exactly where GT5's tracks shine; accuracy. Elevation change, corner radius, bumps, etc.; heck even the graffiti on the Nurburgring is accurate. Weather effects (minus the actual rain itself) and time change is awesome also. The lighting is so well done. I guess that's what makes the blocky shadows in GT5 stand out so much. Like a Bugatti parked in a parking lot full of SUVs and minivans, it's getting noticed. Bad part about tracks in GT5, old tracks not redone and just thrown in which is the worse in my opinion. Because it's like saying "we could have done it, but we just wanted to increase track count".

Customization:
FM4. Done. In GT5, if you want to paint your car, you have to buy/win a car to get a color chip. Then you have to pay credits, YES PAY, to paint your car the color of that chip. AND THEN YOU LOOSE SAID PAINT CHIP. EVEN IF IT'S A PAINT CHIP YOU BOUGHT WITH REAL MONEY AS DLC. Unacceptable. There isn't even a need to mention all the stuff you can do in FM as far as customizations are concerned. But I will note a few. All rims are available to put on any car, the engine and drivetrain swapping, actual existing areo parts for cars (although sometimes inaccurate. example: Mazda RX-8, I owned and raced one for 6 years so I know what I'm talking about), and the vinyl design tools all just awesome. Personal testimony; I got a Lexus IS-F in F4 and had the ability to swap in an LF-A engine. Priceless.

AI:
So far F4 has got it. I have had some interesting racing using the controller in F4 (I'm dying to get a steering wheel). I've used some passing techniques that seem to work well when using a controller and I have used them to the fullest (read the only techniques I can do well without bumping and going off track/shortcuts with the controller) right up until, seemingly, the game figured out what I was doing (late apexing and late braking; the AI is a sucker early on in the game). I recently had a race where the AI was doing some serious blocking. I sware that Lambo Reventon was wider than the entire track plus a half. Every corner, the AI had that Lambo just blocking racing line after racing line. Best racing I've had in a long time against a computer. Funny thing though, on the last lap, the Lambo just went off the track. It basically just gave me the race. THAT part wasn't cool. In GT5, the AI would never let this happen, ... on the rare occasion that the AI is really good (note: In GT5, I've come across some weird phenomena where it seems that the AI all of the sudden wakes up and actually gives a serious challenge). I've had races in GT5 where I just could NOT catch up to/get pass the lead two cars. I'm not saying I'm all that in GT5, but I can say I'm no pushover. I don't do that banging crap and short cuts. Case in point, the AI in GT5 is merciless. There have been some seasonal events to put hurtin' on folks.
By the way, the rewind feature in F4, I'm not a fan of. Yes I've used it, but I feel ... so dirty.

All in all, F4 is awesome. I MEAN AWESOME. I really need to get a wheel to enjoy this masterpiece. As for comparisons to GT5, well, that's just it. Compared to GT5, I hate to say it, F4 has GOT IT. But at the same time I feel this comparison empty on the side of GT5. GT5 is no where NEAR a product of the capabilities of PD.

If I was Turn10, I would be upset at the fact that PD, my biggest rival, didn't give it it's all in this round.

Sorry my post was long, but Forza 4, I am totally feeling it.

@pasigiri

What I liked about your VS assessment is your refrain from comparing the physics and control between the two seeing that you used a wheel for GT and a controller for Forza. I am also confident that once you get a good wheel you will appreciate the Forza 4 experience even more - the feedback with a wheel is excellent 👍

Back