Forza 5/6 vs GT6 (See First Post Before Posting)

• Thread starter espeed623
  • 1,727 comments
I forgot the demo was coming out next week! I really do want to see this game improve. I hope the new tire model is comparable to FM4's, if not better. It still won't deem it an instant purchase for me, but will at least keep it on my consideration list.

I wonder if Dan is part of that human species? You know the ones. They tend to get over excided and maybe exaggerate their claims when they are passionate.

Oh you mean the same species that, you know, get carried away and maybe indulge in murder and other violence when they are passionate?

1 - Doesn't make it okay.
2 - False Logic
3 - Logical fallacies = uncool

It's silly how folks will get all worked up over games that don't even have a demo released yet.

Yep. And since almost nothing is known about either game at this point, it's rather pointless to compare them against each other.

Besides, why is there a thread comparing GT6 to FM5? Aren't they on DIFFERENT gen consoles?
Would be more fair to compare at least a GT6 demo, with FM4.

Well, if the point of the thread is to compare graphics and other things that are depending on the limitations of the hardware, then it's a pretty useless thread. An infant can figure out which game is most likely to be better in that department.

Fortunately, there are other things to compare as well, that makes more sense. Like single player gameplay, multiplayer, game progress, physics etc. Just because you go from one generation to the next doesn't mean that the game is a success by default. You get a graphics boost for free*, but that's about it.

(* my lawyers advised me to make clear that nothing actually is entirely for free)

I'm still not sure why this thread is active yet when neither game is released.

People are going to try and make the comparisons anyway, might as well at least have them in their own thread and not derail others.

And to address Speedster's point, I think it's entirely fair to compare the two. It's two games that are as direct competitors as you can get for being on two different consoles, being released at almost the same time. They will be compared by consumers, and should be compared here.

PD chose to cripple GT6 by using old hardware, with the upside of increased sales from the large install base. T10 chose to use the newest hardware, but they won't get nearly the sales that they would have out of another iteration on 360. It's nearly loss leader territory for MS in terms of establishing the brand and pushing consoles early.

Both studios had the same opportunities. What they make of them will be interesting.

Some of GTs graphics are amazing.

Fixed.

GT's premiums on Premium tracks look good. The rest of the game.....

And as has been said before, if you look at GT's best (Premium Photomode) against FM4's best (Autovista) it's really pretty close. And that's FM4, this thread is more about FM5, and the graphics in that look amazing.

Last edited:
Both games have some graphical shortcomings, but Forza, in my opinion, is more solid as a whole.

Fixed.

GT's premiums on Premium tracks look good. The rest of the game.....
Which probably amounts to less the 50% of the game.

And as has been said before, if you look at GT's best (Premium Photomode) against FM4's best (Autovista) it's really pretty close. And that's FM4, this thread is more about FM5, and the graphics in that look amazing.
I agree with this, although I got sick of the warehouse location for the autovista's. Also, the lack of cars was kind of a turn off.

GTs graphics are amazing. I am sure Forza's will improve dramatically and will actually compared to GTs since GT6 will stay on PS3.

Yes it looks good when standing still on a premium track or photo location. Forza looks good everywhere and even more in motion at a locked60 frames a second. Something that can not be said of GT5.

Forza looks good everywhere and even more in motion at a locked60 frames a second.

This is the big one for me. Whenever I play GT I can't fail to miss the tearing. There are some tracks that are just terrible for it. It really breaks the visual immersion, for me anyway.

I know some people don't see it, and I sort of hope they never do. It's one of those "one it has been seen, it cannot be unseen" things.

Forza 5 will presumably keep it's locked 60, since it's been a selling point of Forza for a while. From what I've heard, the versions of GT6 circulating at the moment still have tearing problems.

Eran0004, agreed.

It would make sense to compare the two when we're talking physics and SP/MP experience.

Even then, we'd need to try out a demo for both!

Audio and graphics - no. Xbx One's hardware is considerably more powerful.

It's silly how folks will get all worked up over games that don't even have a demo released yet.

Besides, why is there a thread comparing GT6 to FM5? Aren't they on DIFFERENT gen consoles?
Would be more fair to compare at least a GT6 demo, with FM4.

They are the latest iterations of the games, that is why they are being compared. The use of a certain hardware is a non-issue, the physics engine on GT6 has been updated much more supposedly and thus will be different from 5 yet is still on the same console. Really the only thing that I can see being better is frame rates possibly and graphics in general on the next gen consoles compared to GT6...

EDIT:
Ah it seems you agree already on this, didn't see your other comment. Also not sure if I remember correctly but isn't XB1 only twice the power of a PS3?

Last edited:
Also not sure if I remember correctly but isn't XB1 only twice the power of a PS3?
Haha, that's not even remotely the case. The One is eight times more powerful than the 360, and the 360 was only slightly overpowered by the PS3.

Here's a pretty informative video explaining the difference between the 2 platforms. Spoiler alert: The PS4 comes out on top.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upd4tGqWmzA

Haha, that's not even remotely the case. The One is eight times more powerful than the 360, and the 360 was only slightly overpowered by the PS3.

Here's a pretty informative video explaining the difference between the 2 platforms. Spoiler alert: The PS4 comes out on top.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upd4tGqWmzA

I already knew that Sony still held the reigns of it's power I just didn't do the math from current gen to upcoming gen as far as processing power and ram so yeah...sorry about that. Sony obviously has a better idea of how to be a more powerful console than Microsoft, but I don't think MS really care to lose a bit.

I think the 2 games will be just about matched, it's looking like that so far to me. Of course, I thought the same way about FM4 and GT5, because each game had a similar amount or strengths and weaknesses.

Although, I guess I shouldn't bother to compare when I'm probably on going to get GT6 this time around. I like the Forza series, but FM5 on the xbox one is holding me back from getting it.

If you didn't already, check out the video I posted. It's actually really interesting. 👍

yeah I was going to say thanks for that by the way in my last post, sorry for my manners. I checked it out before FP2 F1 practice started.

Imari
Whacking a block of clay with a cricket bat would probably be more fun than trying to damage some of the GT5 cars. Strangely durable, they are. ;)

It's that plastic I tell you.

Personally, this ever-lasting debate between FM and GT will never reach a conclusion. Both games have very strong fan base.
I have played Gran Turismo series from GT2 on playstation, and played Forza Motorsport 1 on original Xbox. I loved both games equally, and I still love both games equally. GT has strength in its history, because it was the first racing sim on console that got popular. It contained tremendous amount of cars that made many car fans excited, and its simulation-like physics and car customization made the game a legend.
But Forza Motorsport was a great racing sim also. No doubt, it was inspired by Gran Turismo series. At the same time, FM tried to distinguish itself from GT franchise by introducing customizable layers for the cars, strong paint editing mechanism, and be able to add bodykits to the cars that actually has some effect to the cars instead of just being cosmetic. And damage modelling to every cars.

In that sense, I find both games very appealing, and that is why I played both games and at some point, and I will end up getting both GT6 and FM5.

Many people debate on graphics of each game, and I really think graphics is a subjective matter. One person finds lighting and shading effect of GT superior to FM while other person might think otherwise.
So I don't get into debate when it comes to graphics. It is simply pointless.

Personally, I do not have much faith in GT6 because it is coming out on PS3 as well. I am waiting for GT7 made specifically for PS4. But I will buy GT6 because it will be the best racing game on PS3 ;)

Personally, this ever-lasting debate between FM and GT will never reach a conclusion. Both games have very strong fan base.
I have played Gran Turismo series from GT2 on playstation, and played Forza Motorsport 1 on original Xbox. I loved both games equally, and I still love both games equally. GT has strength in its history, because it was the first racing sim on console that got popular. It contained tremendous amount of cars that made many car fans excited, and its simulation-like physics and car customization made the game a legend.
But Forza Motorsport was a great racing sim also. No doubt, it was inspired by Gran Turismo series. At the same time, FM tried to distinguish itself from GT franchise by introducing customizable layers for the cars, strong paint editing mechanism, and be able to add bodykits to the cars that actually has some effect to the cars instead of just being cosmetic. And damage modelling to every cars.

In that sense, I find both games very appealing, and that is why I played both games and at some point, and I will end up getting both GT6 and FM5.

Many people debate on graphics of each game, and I really think graphics is a subjective matter. One person finds lighting and shading effect of GT superior to FM while other person might think otherwise.
So I don't get into debate when it comes to graphics. It is simply pointless.

Personally, I do not have much faith in GT6 because it is coming out on PS3 as well. I am waiting for GT7 made specifically for PS4. But I will buy GT6 because it will be the best racing game on PS3 ;)
I agree with many of your statements. After playing GT Academy demo there's no comparison to FM5 we would have to wait til GT7.....I say in about 3 yrs or more lol.

I agree with many of your statements. After playing GT Academy demo there's no comparison to FM5 we would have to wait til GT7.....I say in about 3 yrs or more lol.

When you say there's no comparison, are you saying it in favor of GT6 or FM5?

I'm sorry, what? I highly disagree, just because you've tried the GTA demo, doesn't mean GT6 still can't be compared to FM5 just cause its on XB1. Not like anyone has played FM5 yet, so I don't understand why GT6 can't be compared to it just because its not on PS4.

"We should wait for GT7 for a real comparison", what graphics vs graphics? No we don't I want to see which games has better physics and gameplay. I rather wait for the release for both games instead of believing one demo will make a game incomparable to the other that no one hasn't even tried yet. That isn't right IMO.

I'm sorry, what? I highly disagree, just because you've tried the GTA demo, doesn't mean GT6 still can't be compared to FM5 just cause its on XB1. Not like anyone has played FM5 yet, so I don't understand why GT6 can't be compared to it just because its not on PS4.

"We should wait for GT7 for a real comparison", what graphics vs graphics? No we don't I want to see which games has better physics and gameplay. I rather wait for the release for both games instead of believing one demo will make a game incomparable to the other that no one hasn't even tried yet. That isn't right IMO.

Exactly, why are we basing a comparison solely on graphical performance? Last time I checked graphics weren't the main criteria that make a game great.

Last edited:
When you say there's no comparison, are you saying it in favor of GT6 or FM5?
Neither, comparing GT6 on the PS3 to FM5 which is for the next gen console xbox one is not fair.

I stand by my statement but if you want to compare than that's up to you.

I cant defend Gran Turismo anymore. I just cant. We've seen the game 3 times now, at the reveal, at E3, and now the demo. All 3 times there hasnt been a single sign of damage. Anywhere.

I cant defend or accept this. To me it feels like Polyphony Digital is laughing in our faces. They've grown so arrogant they think they can continue to ignore big parts of the games with little consequence. Look at the garbage brain dead AI in the demo. A 10 year old could beat them, easily. And of course, absolutely zero damage modeling. And they want us to be fine with that?

When I buy a Gran Turismo game I want cutting edge graphics. By the time Gran Turismo 6 is released it will look very dated compared to Forza 5 and other next gen racers. They're obviously having huge memory issues and thats why they cant add any anti-aliasing, a feature that relies heavily on memory especially at higher resolutions

The real problem Im seeing here is Polyphony Digital sees no reason to change their ways. People loved the halfhearted demo, even though it still had much of the bad from GT5. GT6 will likely get mediocre reviews like GT5, but people will still buy it in the millions, and Polyphony Digital will see no reason to change their ways.

I just dont see a reason to buy GT over Forza anymore. GT is no longer the graphics king. Far, far from it. Its had years upon years to match fan favorite features like a livery editor but they havent. Forza is innovating with driveatars, Gran Turismo beats its chest over a new tire and suspension model the competition had years ago.

So as it stands, Forza is #1 and Gran Turismo is #2. I honestly think Polyphony Digital doesnt care as their game will still sell millions COD style

I really don't see it as such a black and white issue. It goes without saying that Forza 5 has the upper-hand in the graphics department, as well as overall horsepower (no pun intended). However, some of the major problems that lowered GT's ratings are in the area of gameplay, which really isn't shown in the demo. I was moderately satisfied with what I saw in the demo and I'll reserve judgement until A) I hook up my steering wheel again, and B) more details of the final game are released.

I cant defend Gran Turismo anymore. I just cant. We've seen the game 3 times now, at the reveal, at E3, and now the demo. All 3 times there hasnt been a single sign of damage. Anywhere.

Kaz has already stated that they are not focusing on damage. its not the biggest priority to him or PD. Some people wanna see cars crash, others prefer mechanical damage instead.

I cant defend or accept this. To me it feels like Polyphony Digital is laughing in our faces. They've grown so arrogant they think they can continue to ignore big parts of the games with little consequence. Look at the garbage brain dead AI in the demo. A 10 year old could beat them, easily. And of course, absolutely zero damage modeling. And they want us to be fine with that?

The AI present in this is not representative of the final product. A lot of things in this demo are not. This is meant more for GT Academy purposes.

When I buy a Gran Turismo game I want cutting edge graphics. By the time Gran Turismo 6 is released it will look very dated compared to Forza 5 and other next gen racers. They're obviously having huge memory issues and thats why they cant add any anti-aliasing, a feature that relies heavily on memory especially at higher resolutions

True it will look dated, however no other company is pushing the limits of the PS3 as much as PD. Graphics alone should not be compared to a next gen title.

I just dont see a reason to buy GT over Forza anymore. GT is no longer the graphics king. Far, far from it. Its had years upon years to match fan favorite features like a livery editor but they havent. Forza is innovating with driveatars, Gran Turismo beats its chest over a new tire and suspension model the competition had years ago.

Forza has also not listened to the public in delivering features such as day/night cycles, weather and rally for years. Forza feeds off of their strengths just as GT feeds off of theirs.

So as it stands, Forza is #1 and Gran Turismo is #2. I honestly think Polyphony Digital doesnt care as their game will still sell millions COD style

Your opinion and thats fine. To me FM4 was the better game, but GT has always delivered a purer driving experience for me. And it seems GT6 will top that of GT5, which wasn't PD's best offering. :cheers:

Back