Forza 5 Is A Major Dissapointment, Will DLC Save It?

• Thread starter Macrinus
  • 825 comments
I'm glad the demo booths are starting to show up now. I think the game will atrratct more passing trade once people can see i without the horrible compression in YouTube.

I agree, I was very impressed and wanted Forza5 and the Xbox One even more.

No auction house.

Seriously? No Auction House? That's it, I'm not buying it! :lol:

Well, not that I seriously considered it. I did at one point, having so much fun with Forza 4 after buying the 360, and while I don't necessarily think Forza 5 would be a disappointment per se, I do think it would be a disappointment to me considering the price tag. It's well over twice what I've paid for Forza 4, and that was expensive enough.

Seriously? No Auction House? That's it, I'm not buying it! :lol:

Well, not that I seriously considered it. I did at one point, having so much fun with Forza 4 after buying the 360, and while I don't necessarily think Forza 5 would be a disappointment per se, I do think it would be a disappointment to me considering the price tag. It's well over twice what I've paid for Forza 4, and that was expensive enough.

Theres no storefront as well. Want a livery? browse through this pitiful excuse of a workaround instead! Want a tune? browse through this as well!

Nothing screams anti-usability louder than this, this, or this.

Last edited:
Ummm there is an in-game search feature for tunes and liveries is there not?

What you have linked is just a way to get into the 'Turn 10 picks'.
Yes but you have to individually enter a person's gamertag to find what you want.

Point is that the implementation is simply not as easy as before. eg. If I wanted a good tune in FM4, I would just filter everything by downloads and then eliminate from there by PI, etc.

Yes but you have to individually enter a person's gamertag to find what you want.

Point is that the implementation is simply not as easy as before. eg. If I wanted a good tune in FM4, I would just filter everything by downloads and then eliminate from there by PI, etc.

Are you saying I can't even look for a top-rated tune or a top-rated livery for a particular car anymore? Surely, they wouldn't have gotten rid of that feature, or?

Do you? Looks like there are options besides that to me.

Watching that video it seems that exactly is your only option.

Watching that video it seems that exactly is your only option.

Huh? That's the only option used in the video. There's the option to search by layer count, Keyword 1, Keyword 2, gamertag and a description. And yes top rated search is gone. But search by car is initiated automatically by the car you are currently tuning/in.

Good riddance to the rating search. Hopefully it will stop people from trying to abuse the system. They got rid of the stupid downvoting so that's a start.

Here is the BS rating used to cause

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/post/5979981.aspx
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5307786.aspx
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5714594.aspx
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5674238.aspx
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5376205.aspx
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5710964.aspx
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/post/6095524.aspx
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/permalink/6095524/6095524/ShowThread.aspx#6095524

The complaints are endless.

Last edited:
But search by car is initiated automatically by the car you are currently tuning/in.

And I take it it's the same for liveries? Phew! It isn't quite as bad as I initially feared then. Thanks for clarifying.

Huh? That's the only option used in the video. There's the option to search by layer count, Keyword 1, Keyword 2, gamertag and a description. And yes top rated search is gone. But search by car is initiated automatically by the car you are currently tuning/in.

Good riddance to the rating search. Hopefully it will stop people from trying to abuse the system. They got rid of the stupid downvoting so that's a start.

Here is the BS rating used to cause

[snip]

The complaints are endless.

Yet, it was the very feature that helped me find the best tunes for my cars in-game.

And I take it it's the same for liveries? Phew! It isn't quite as bad as I initially feared then. Thanks for clarifying.

Yet, it was the very feature that helped me find the best tunes for my cars in-game.

Yes. The video above is for liveries. Tuning is the same search mechanism.

It may have been the feature you used, but that doesn't mean it was the best for you or a lot of the sellers. With that system the rich got richer. the scammers got richer. the scammed got jiped. and many up and coming artists and tuners went unnoticed. Sure some good stuff rose to the top, but it's largely hit and miss. Just like the descriptions. "Top 10 times" with no proof unless it's a known or trusted tuner? You would need to know the gamertag anyway.

Despite what Somebodyb2 says the best way to buy tunes/liveries are from forums. You can see the times people ran, you can give feedback and/or get custom work. Extend the game, look around from your phone or tablet when not near the console. It adds to the game. it doesn't detract IMO

Extend the game, look around from your phone or tablet when not near the console. It adds to the game. it doesn't detract IMO

I'm sure that would apply to some. Though there's something to be said about the convenience of being able to do things in-game, even if you're not getting as much out of it as you could out-of-game.

It's a matter of principal. Right and wrong. MS made Xbox 1 to not work with the old Xbox steering wheels so people would have to buy new wheels. So I will never buy another Xbox.

The old protocols the wheels were using is garbage. if they didn't dump them we would either be stuck with them for ten years or developers would need to program all games to be compatible for wheels twice which they would soon slack on as more options released. I'm glad they stuck to their guns. It's next gen so next gen hardware should be moving forward also.

PC and Playstation protocols are last gen and haven't moved forward they just do the job and that's it. I hope the xbox team continue to move it forward. And yes I do own a fanatec wheel. I don't understand why people don't want this tech to progress just so they can save some money.

I'm sure that would apply to some. Though there's something to be said about the convenience of being able to do things in-game, even if you're not getting as much out of it as you could out-of-game.

Well you can look at forums now without even leaving the game on the Xbone at least. So it's even less of a deal breaker IMO

I love Forza 5! There are fewer cars and fewer tracks, but the quality or them is outstanding. Plus the physics are great. I had GT6 preordered, but I know there is no way I got go to a last gen racer now. Waiting for GT7

The old protocols the wheels were using is garbage. if they didn't dump them we would either be stuck with them for ten years or developers would need to program all games to be compatible for wheels twice which they would soon slack on as more options released. I'm glad they stuck to their guns. It's next gen so next gen hardware should be moving forward also.

PC and Playstation protocols are last gen and haven't moved forward they just do the job and that's it. I hope the xbox team continue to move it forward. And yes I do own a fanatec wheel. I don't understand why people don't want this tech to progress just so they can save some money.

I was always slightly confused about this. I agree that XID was a stupid idea, but I don't see how you progress further with HID. The wheel gets told which way to turn and how hard. That's really the only options it has. It's not a terribly complicated piece of equipment. It's basically just an electric motor strapped to a stick.

Unless you start adding in stuff like the extra vibration motors on Fanatecs, or the vibrating brake pedal and so on, there's really nowhere for it to go. So why would PC and PS4 change from HID? What improvements are there to be had?

Unless you start adding in stuff like the extra vibration motors on Fanatecs, or the vibrating brake pedal and so on, there's really nowhere for it to go. So why would PC and PS4 change from HID? What improvements are there to be had?

For those exact reasons. There's so much more that could be explored, yet HID stays stagnant since almost conception.
I'd like to see FFB shifters, and brake pedals things like that. HID or XID isn't going to give us that if they don't evolve.

XID was already better because it could multi-task, and Xbox games took advantage. It was only small feature in the fact that the rumble motors in the wheel rims actuated, but and immersive advantage none the less.

Last edited:
Having seen amar's posts on the subject, I'm not really buying these supposed "advances" or "improvements" coming from the XID standard that actually make it beneficial to the player rather than just Microsoft and peripheral makers.

Amar is just pissed his wheels won't work, which I understand. IIRC he was a crusader for linearity issues that plagued FM4. Those should be all but gone now, or simply a patch away, I don't think that was possible before.

It's a bit of both, but at the same time they could have just stayed with the original XID and had quite a few people willing to buy the Xbone day one. Even more if they went with HID.

I'd guess they went with the advancement and the licence fees as a 50/50 deal. It's not exactly guaranteed people in significant numbers will buy these wheels in any meaningful to make viable for licensor's to keep producing them for the full lifecycle of the console. It's a risk logitech didn't take last gen, Microsoft peripheral makers stand to lose out too.

As consumers if we are stuck with XID this is definately a better for us in terms of feel because of the way developers can now code the FFB, maybe less so if you don't want to part with hardware you already own.

Last edited:
XID was already better because it could multi-task, and Xbox games took advantage. It was only small feature in the fact that the rumble motors in the wheel rims actuated, but and immersive advantage none the less.

What do you mean it could multitask? A wheel (just the wheel bit) can only do one thing at a time.

If you're talking about multiple FFB parts like a Fanatec wheel, all of those seem to work simultaneously just fine on non-Xbox machines.

As far as I can tell, HID is/was an essentially open format as long as you adhered to certain design rules. Given the huge amount of input devices that use the format, I don't see why it couldn't include pretty much any sort of feedback you would care to add to the device. Why switch away from a format that can be expanded to suit your needs?

A little late to this thread but have been anything but disappointed with FM5; in fact I didn't expect the Xbone to be as useful just in general regarding an entertainment center as it has been, def made the right call vs the PS4.

The Thrustmaster TX is a decent wheel, the base is pretty good, the pedals are indeed junk but... not a deal breaker or unusable. Not sure how much better they could have made them and keep the same price point. So DLC will make it better, not save it. I am seriously keen on seeing how awesome the new Nordschilefe is; the old version was a horrible rendition and needed to be done away with.

So far Turn 10 has listened too. I'd still like a bit better feedback from the wheel, but that will come with firmware and software updates from both companies, and with the cloud setup Microsoft built this around, it has the potential to be massive in a few years time as software is updated and written to take advantage of it.

What do you mean it could multitask? A wheel (just the wheel bit) can only do one thing at a time.

If you're talking about multiple FFB parts like a Fanatec wheel, all of those seem to work simultaneously just fine on non-Xbox machines.

As far as I can tell, HID is/was an essentially open format as long as you adhered to certain design rules. Given the huge amount of input devices that use the format, I don't see why it couldn't include pretty much any sort of feedback you would care to add to the device. Why switch away from a format that can be expanded to suit your needs?

HID will not use rumble and FFB motors at the same time as far as I know. I was told it was a limitation of the protocol and this is why rumble features have to be written into a separate app for pedals and even in the fanatec wheel rims.

HID will not use rumble and FFB motors at the same time as far as I know. I was told it was a limitation of the protocol and this is why rumble features have to be written into a separate app for pedals and even in the fanatec wheel rims.

HID is the standard and protocol definitions - the host (in this case the XBone) is the one that is required to process the data, not the device.

If there is a 'limitation' it is in the refusal of M$ to implement and communicate correctly with the HID compliant device.

The device will have the CPU's and controllers required to do what ever it needs to do based on the data returned from the host and in the turn the device will send the host packets of data based on the human manipulation of the device components.

I think you misunderstand what HID is - it is not 'stagnant' as it is a standard set of definitions that allow unlimited and open ended development of interface devices.

HID is the standard and protocol definitions - the host (in this case the XBone) is the one that is required to process the data, not the device.

If there is a 'limitation' it is in the refusal of M$ to implement and communicate correctly with the HID compliant device.

The device will have the CPU's and controllers required to do what ever it needs to do based on the data returned from the host and in the turn the device will send the host packets of data based on the human manipulation of the device components.

I think you misunderstand what HID is - it is not 'stagnant' as it is a standard set of definitions that allow unlimited and open ended development of interface devices.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wheels-for-forza.125840/#post-3766618

The reason:

PS3 and PCs use HID force feedback mechanisms. The machine calculates the strength and direction of force feedback based on the actions in the game.

360/older PCs use XID force feedback mechanisms. The machine only calculates what force feedback profile to use based on actions in the game ("Profile 82!"), the wheel then determines the strength and direction based on that profile ("Profile 82? That's 42.6% left and 21.1% right, 0.04s apart!").

Since the machine only does some of the calculation and the wheel does some, it's more machine-efficient - more system resources are available to do other things -

Good explanation. I might want to add that this XID protocoll is only better in theory. In practice most games use only force commands (left and right) because they are used to program FF effects that way from PS3 or PC games. Therefore the technology is not fully exploited yet. But the protocol is already better because of the additional support for vibration motors.

So with all that in mind, and added to the fact that XID now does work in the same way as HID does (in that in that it now sends the commands directly to the device) XID has pulled even further in front. As I said before, I'm not sure if XID still retains the computational resource advantage, but it's still better regardless. The only real draw back right now is that only MS is supporting it at this time.

Last edited:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wheels-for-forza.125840/#post-3766618

So with all that in mind, and added to the fact that XID now does work in the same way as HID does (in that in that it now sends the commands directly to the device) XID has pulled even further in front. As I said before, I'm not sure if XID still retains the computational resource advantage, but it's still better regardless. The only real draw back right now is that only MS is supporting it at this time.

That is more than a draw back that means it is NOT by definition a standard set of open protocols.

That is more than a draw back that means it is NOT by definition a standard set of open protocols.

You are confusing what I meant. XID 1.4 (in regards to FFB) is now as open HID. Anyone is free to use the protocol, as they were before, but now it's worth using because the effects aren't canned/moved away from the developers hands. Hopefully more people choose to do so. XID was/is supported widely for PC games, probably more so than HID because of the Xbox 360 controller. I'm hoping that developers of racing games follow suit with XID FFB. It's understandable XID 1.4 isn't widely supported, it was only announced with windows 8

Just because HID is an open protocol, it doesn't mean people were using it to the fullest, as Thomas mentioned with the XID support on the Xbox 360. They went with a quick and simple port for the most part. How are things to move forward if people just choose to stick with the "Standard" but don't do anything with it? And if HID FFB is so open, why hasn't anything been done to it? FFB Wheel support for it barely exists outside of windows and Playstation.

Last edited:
You say "Forza is a disappointment" like it's a fact. It's your opinion, and others like the game. Don't force it on others.
How a game can have only half the Content of its previous title is a major disappointment. These types of games rule on content . I have both forza 5 and gt6 and cannot play forza anymore . It lacks to much content. I'm tired of racing the same tracks over and over. Gt6 is a much better game in terms of content. Forza 5 however does do some things great , the ai is great the quick online joining is great , the physics are awesome. But that's it, it's not enough. Night and rain combo races on the nurbergring the tire wear in longer races just make the feel of racing as close to real life as possible. I have never had more fun with a gt game or sim racing game ever. Gt6 hands down did a superb job . Learn from this Microsoft forza 5 with one more year in development would have been great.

DLC is the last thing this sham of a game needs, especially the whole LaFerrari pack BS they pulled. Apparently, no cars were held back as DLC at all and the cars from the LaFerrari pack weren't quite finished when the game was greenlit and ready to be printed and published. Okay, fair enough.

So how is it that Gamestop's video preview (before the Xbone was even released or had any updates) clearly shows cars from the DLC pack on the track?! That, mixed with the fact it's such a small download, a Rivals mode event conveniently needing the pack, T10's 'apology' for the skewered game economy (which was to give away a LaFerrari to players; of course, people who said they weren't gonna buy the pack were just so stupid and fell for their trap of paying for a 'free' gift) means I honestly don't trust T10 anymore. I feel especially stupid knowing I picked up an Xbox One for this game, defended their weird decisions regarding Forzavista, the track and the car count, only to find what the naysayers were accusing the game of being is in fact true - however, the critics have been swayed by T10's bribery and were dumb enough to part with more of their money for a 'free' gift and now claim T10 do in fact care about the community and made a quality product.

Even if other cars weren't held back, we all know just from looking at the first car pack it's going to be like Horizon all over again; repeats of cars from Forza 4. But at least they have Forzavista. :rolleyes:

I think you'd have a hard time convincing people who are enjoying the game now that MS should have sat on the game for a year or so while bringing it up to what you consider an acceptable level of content. I don't blame people for feeling ripped off but it's not like the number of cars and tracks in the launch game were a secret at the time of release.

Whilst that is true, I did fully support the argument that it was 'quality over quantity' and firmly believed that the small amount of content would be fine, as the game would be fun enough without all the cut cars and tracks. Then, as I (and others) am realising it simply isn't, T10 is just getting those who criticised them at every oppurtunity on side again by giving them free cars and all of a sudden, they think the game has enough stuff and they're really enjoying it. Even though a week before that, the same people were moaning they couldn't find anything to do.

It's the fact that the event/league structure is specifically set up to use every track location at least once, that after just completing a few leagues in a few cars, you've seen everything the game has to offer.

T10's idea of picking your own car and sticking with it sounds good when explained and in the reviews, but once you've done the 15 events your specific car can enter, it turns out you can't just stick with it, and instead have to do more races at the same places you've just done, only now with a different car. That's the issue I have - having such a small track list with only a few cars I'd want to drive means I'll have gone as far as I'd want to very, very quickly. It's difficult to explain, but my point is that T10 claim this to be the biggest Forza yet, although there is no way that is remotely true. Yes, it looks nice, and the car list, while small, is fairly decent, but it just feels the same.

TL;DR - The game was done to make the Xbox look good in promo videos. That's all.

Back