Forza 6 Demo Sept 1

• Thread starter thomasw
  • 785 comments
Like on Silverstone Vale corner, if you don't use brakes until car turns, steering system will not turn when you want it to and then it is lap ruined. It is way the steering system appears to work depending on speed and input.

Yeap, best to just give yourself ample braking room before turns, ease off brakes completely, downshift and then go to full lock. Try limiting your outside deadzone. That helps.

Robot, here's how I fix it for the time being:

Inside steering dead: 12, outside: 75 (very important).

This helps your driver turn the wheel more, and goes lock to lock faster too. But it's a bit twitchy and takes getting used to. You'll even hear the front tires gripping more somewhat due to the friction/tire wear sounds.

As an experiment, you can also go back to the recommended standard: 0/100 and observe how the hands move on the wheel in cockpit cam.

This should definitely help, but requires patience and extra focus to get around the initial twitchiness and/or increased response.
The bug is so inconsistent that I think I'd rather just keep my fluidity with the game as optimal as I can get it. Quick question though, is what I showed what you're describing as well?

there could be any number of reasons why this is happening to some and not others, from issues with wireless interference. Firmware not been up to date on the controller itself. To a less than perfect controller, or even just something wrong with the xbox itself. All those things could cause a controller not to work as desired, which can and will hamper your gaming experience. But when it comes to actually playing the game, there are not too many people who have this issue. Not as many as you are saying anyway. And some, if not most of those people, have stated the issue went away when they plugging in a micro USB cable. Or bought a new controller. The usb cable is the easiest and cheapest route by the way.
So far it's been isolated to this game, but it's also one of the game's I spend most of my time on so it could be that I just haven't noticed it on anything else, or it could be that because this needs more precise inputs that I'm noticing the little things.

My firmware is up-to-date, however, so the next logical step would be to try out the Micro USB. I'll see if I can purchase one this week.

Now that... is extremely weird and I've never had that happen to me before...
I'd like to say it's been happening to me since Forza 4, but I cant really recall so I'll just say I've been experiencing it for as long as I've had FM5. I even encountered it once in the demo of the FM6 I think. I tried telling you guys!

As I understand the steering system, if it doesn't want to turn, you have to press brake to activate the steering system. You need to outthink it so it does what you want it to, so you need to be braking into corner until steering activates, otherwise it won't turn even if going at same speed. Driveclub I think is the benchmark for steering with control pad at the moment for me personally where it makes you feel at one with the car somehow.
Oh trust me, I've had it for so long that I've found the little kinks to it, that's why I was able to replicate it so easily. This was just to show that it actually is a problem, and not something induced by my driving. What I've found is that it's not the brakes, but the speed that you are traveling that will deactivates this instance.

"Oh I've never faced this issue, it's all in your head.. just get a wheel" ?
I've never once got that from any of the posts directed towards you.

Others, including myself and @ImaRobot have faced this issue; you have not. Noted.

Time to move on. This has nothing whatsoever to do with being dismissive or defensive but rather a difference of opinion. Get over yourself. You proved your point. Big deal.

It doesn't change the game in any way and what we discussed is very much there and needs to be corrected at some point. have you offered any insights that might be valuable to users? Or are you going to continue with that mantra: "Oh I've never faced this issue, it's all in your head.. just get a wheel" ?

Yes, I have offered up advice. The fact you have missed it, clearly goes to show that you are not paying attention. I have clearly stated that first thing to try, is for a Micro USB cable to be used, in case it is an issue with wireless interference.

You have been in several discussions with me on this very same issue since before you even had the game, so just how many times do I need to ask you to try with a Micro USB cable connected?

The bug is so inconsistent that I think I'd rather just keep my fluidity with the game as optimal as I can get it. Quick question though, is what I showed what you're describing as well?

So far it's been isolated to this game, but it's also one of the game's I spend most of my time on so it could be that I just haven't noticed it on anything else, or it could be that because this needs more precise inputs that I'm noticing the little things.

My firmware is up-to-date, however, so the next logical step would be to try out the Micro USB. I'll see if I can purchase one this week.

I'd like to say it's been happening to me since Forza 4, but I cant really recall so I'll just say I've been experiencing it for as long as I've had FM5. I even encountered it once in the demo of the FM6 I think. I tried telling you guys!

Oh trust me, I've had it for so long that I've found the little kinks to it, that's why I was able to replicate it so easily. This was just to show that it actually is a problem, and not something induced by my driving. What I've found is that it's not the brakes, but the speed that you are traveling that will deactivates this instance.

I've never once got that from any of the posts directed towards you.

I couldn't get the video to run smoothly; from what I got, you kept using rewind and the wheel stays jammed in one place... is that the issue? Cos' that's something that doesn't affect actual gameplay much.

She kept bringing in wheel technicalities into the discussion so I brought that up. Apart from that, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Did you give the dead settings a go? I'd also like you to explain the issue in detail and tell me exactly when you face it.. i.e. as a result of what input? There's also a bug that turns your wheel partly or all the way to the left at the start of a race.. but corrects itself once the countdown expires. Doesn't affect gameplay at all, but what you have described in the video might be affecting gameplay. Need to know for sure, then I can offer insights.

Yes, I have offered up advice. The fact you have missed it, clearly goes to show that you are not paying attention. I have clearly stated that first thing to try, is for a Micro USB cable to be used, in case it is an issue with wireless interference.

You have been in several discussions with me on this very same issue since before you even had the game, so just how many times do I need to ask you to try with a Micro USB cable connected?

I think you are now taking random shots in the dark; first you bring up a wheel into the discussion, then videos to desperately prove your point.. and now talk of a USB wire?

This discussion can be only described as borderline annoying and utterly fruitless: what does a WHEEL or USB wire have to do with how pad steering is programmed into the game???!

"The game has a steering cap and will not let you turn past a certain point, EVEN if you've slowed down to a reasonable speed but still in the process of braking."

Are you flatly denying that? Have you played PCARS? It's somewhat like the countersteering bug.. where your front wheels won't go the other way once the car starts sliding. There.. clear now?

Last edited:
She kept bringing in wheel technicalities into the discussion so I brought that up. Apart from that, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Perhaps because you keep assuming I am still using a wheel in FM5, and keep asking me to compare the two.

Okay then; could you please shift to a standard controller, set steering to SIM, keep deads at 0/100 and then get back to us? Is the controller giving you as good a turn angle as the wheel does at the SAME speed? You'll find the results interesting.

Yeap, best to just give yourself ample braking room before turns, ease off brakes completely, downshift and then go to full lock. Try limiting your outside deadzone. That helps.
Still try and brake on the limit, just can't carry loads of speed into the apex and sort it out for next corner as you would not make the corner but with steering wheel it would make it I imagine. I drive without deadzones.

It is speed senstive steering with a few quirks as it doesn't seem to want to allow full steering unless it thinks you are trying to slow down and make a corner. If you trail brake all the way in, shouldn't be as big of a problem but if you lift off and try and turn it then becomes difficult. It's like the game recognises you are trying to slow down and only then frees up the steering.

Perhaps because you keep assuming I am still using a wheel in FM5, and keep asking me to compare the two.

I assumed once earlier = that does not qualify as "you keep assuming". You're on a controller, I get it. Moving on...

Still try and brake on the limit, just can't carry loads of speed into the apex and sort it out for next corner as you would not make the corner but with steering wheel it would make it I imagine. I drive without deadzones.

With a wheel you definitely have more control over the front wheels. It's as simple as checking people out playing with a wheel; i.e. you'll notice how they get the wheel going to almost 90 degrees on turn 1 Laguna Seca.

I couldn't get the video to run smoothly; from what I got, you kept using rewind and the wheel stays jammed in one place... is that the issue? Cos' that's something that doesn't affect actual gameplay much.
No, not at all. I keep rewinding to show that one instance works perfectly fine and turn in is great, and the next instance the car understeers ridiculously, locking the wheel at 1/4 of its full lock, and then all of a sudden releasing and allowing me full lock again. That very much so does effect gameplay, so much so that more often than not it throws me completely off the track and into barriers.

Did you give the dead settings a go? I'd also like you to explain the issue in detail and tell me exactly when you face it.. i.e. as a result of what input? There's also a bug that turns your wheel partly or all the way to the left at the start of a race.. but corrects itself once the countdown expires. Doesn't affect gameplay at all, but what you have described in the video might be affecting gameplay. Need to know for sure, then I can offer insights.
Unfortunately I did not give the settings a try. At this point, I'd rather have full range of my joy sticks to be honest. This doesn't happen all the time so I'd rather deal with it that few handful of times, rather then hinder my driving experience the whole time in anticipation for it.

It is speed senstive steering with a few quirks as it doesn't seem to want to allow full steering unless it thinks you are trying to slow down and make a corner. If you trail brake all the way in, shouldn't be as big of a problem but if you lift off and try and turn it then becomes difficult. It's like the game recognises you are trying to slow down and only then frees up the steering.
I've noticed this exact thing as well, and you seemed to have nailed it on the head. I noticed that loss of grip actually eliminates the scenario as well. I've learned to pull the e-brake when this happens, which is a bit annoying, but its better than going off track.

I assumed once earlier = that does not qualify as "you keep assuming". You're on a controller, I get it. Moving on...

Oh please..... I think you need to check your own post history again Speedster, because you have been assuming I am still using a wheel since it broke July 2014. You have asked me in several threads to compare the wheel to the controller, and you have assumed more than once that I am still using a wheel in Forza.

I've noticed this exact thing as well, and you seemed to have nailed it on the head. I noticed that loss of grip actually eliminates the scenario as well. I've learned to pull the e-brake when this happens, which is a bit annoying, but its better than going off track.
Yep, losing the rear end helps as it thinks you are oversteering so frees up steering but if using Simulation steering, it can be suicidal as the way it steers to correct oversteer is quite ridiculous. Normal is fine though as it sort of corrects it for you.

Yep, losing the rear end helps as it thinks you are oversteering so frees up steering but if using Simulation steering, it can be suicidal as the way it steers to correct oversteer is quite ridiculous. Normal is fine though as it sort of corrects it for you.
Yeah, I can imagine. With me using normal steering, it's been managable.

Oh please..... I think you need to check your own post history again Speedster, because you have been assuming I am still using a wheel since it broke July 2014. You have asked me in several threads to compare the wheel to the controller, and you have assumed more than once that I am still using a wheel in Forza.

Good you got that off your chest too. Now you can sleep peacefully.

Precisely.. if you're on SIM, and the rear's breaking loose, the game will NOT let you steer further to save your dear life. It is ridiculous for sure, but oversteering and going into a momentary slide is the only way to get around it. Normal steering almost instantly gets rid of the problem.

Yeah, I can imagine. With me using normal steering, it's been managable.

I understand what the issue is now... it's especially troublesome when the rear breaks lose...in that case you can't turn the wheel more to save your life.. the car will just go into the barriers. Normal steering definitely makes it manageable. It is not a bug in the game, but rather how the devs have programmed the pad to behave when the front tires are under heavy friction AND the tail breaks loose at the same time.

I understand what the issue is now... it's especially troublesome when the rear breaks lose...in that case you can't turn the wheel more to save your life.. the car will just go into the barriers. Normal steering definitely makes it manageable. It is not a bug in the game, but rather how the devs have programmed the pad to behave when the front tires are under heavy friction AND the tail breaks loose at the same time.
No, you have it wrong. Breaking the rear loose will cause the problem to disappear, actually. It's the one full proof way that I have been using to alleviate the situation, as I'd lose less speed doing that rather then just slowing down. It is definitely a bug. I'm beginning to think that me and you aren't talking about the same thing.

The problem happens when I'm actually going into a turn smoothly. If I go in rough with a loss of traction, the problem wont occur. The odd thing I've noticed is that even the rumble feedback just disappears completely as it happens.

No, you have it wrong. Breaking the rear loose will cause the problem to disappear, actually. It's the one full proof way that I have been using to alleviate the situation, as I'd lose less speed doing that rather then just slowing down. It is definitely a bug. I'm beginning to think that me and you aren't talking about the same thing.

The problem happens when I'm actually going into a turn smoothly. If I go in rough with a loss of traction, the problem wont occur. The odd thing I've noticed is that even the rumble feedback just disappears completely as it happens.

The rumble feedback disappears completely? Hmm.. are you braking hard or throttling out of a turn when that happens or simply turning in either direction?

The rumble feedback disappears completely? Hmm.. are you braking hard or throttling out of a turn when that happens or simply turning in either direction?
I've explained in detail in the past couple of pages, it's a bit of a pain to have to rewrite everything again :lol:

In short, it occurs most when I have full traction going into a turn. I cant initiate oversteer when it happens because using the throttle just makes it understeer worse, as the only way to alleviate it is to slow down unnecessarily, or force a loss of traction through the hand brake. It's not because of a quick change in direction, it's not caused by hard braking, and it's not caused from hard throttling. For a more in-detail response, just check out my posts on the past few pages.

It is a bug, and has nothing to do with physics in the game.

It is not a bug in the game, but rather how the devs have programmed the pad to behave when the front tires are under heavy friction AND the tail breaks loose at the same time.

Thank you for finally agreeing with me, much appreciated! The bolded part that is.

If you are just going into a corner and slamming the brakes on as hard as possible without locking them up, then all you are doing is shifting all of the cars weight forward. Which will cause the effect you are talking about here.

This is the post that started all this rubbish off between me and you in this thread. What you are experiencing in Forza, you would also experience in real life under the exact same circumstance. Has nothing to do with the way the pad works in Forza. And forgive the comparison between pad and wheel here, as this time I am bringing it in myself. But the same thing also happens on a wheel, and can be equally frustrating. It is driver error, in your case anyway. That is not saying you are a novice though, as even I make that mistake every now and then. So does anyone who plays a racing game.

So in regards to your problem, it is just a case you want more controller options to adjust. Which is fair enough, but you could have saved a lot of problems by just saying this when first questioned about it, instead of getting dismissive and defensive on the matter.

What @ImaRobot is experiencing is an actual hardware fault or software glitch, where their inputs are not translating into the game properly. This is either interference with the wireless single between the controller and the xbox. Hence the mention of a USB cable, which when used disables the wireless radio in the controller; and sends all data via the usb cable. A possible a fault with the xbox itself, or a problem with the controller itself (i.e the thumbstick been damaged). Or there is genuinely a fault in the software, either game or xbox dashboard, that is causing the issue.

If the problem that ImaRobot is experiencing is the same as what you, then this is why you should try with a USB cable attached to the controller; and use it in wired mode. As it might possibly remove the issue.

I've explained in detail in the past couple of pages, it's a bit of a pain to have to rewrite everything again :lol:

In short, it occurs most when I have full traction going into a turn. I cant initiate oversteer when it happens because using the throttle just makes it understeer worse, as the only way to alleviate it is to slow down unnecessarily, or force a loss of traction through the hand brake. It's not because of a quick change in direction, it's not caused by hard braking, and it's not caused from hard throttling. For a more in-detail response, just check out my posts on the past few pages.

Hopefully that is resolved in the full game.

Hopefully that is resolved in the full game.
I hope so. I think I might have encountered it in the demo, but there wasn't enough to go off of for me to say that with confidence. I can get it to happen on the ring almost every time I go on it, so I'll definitely be testing it out.

Ahh, right.. hey man, didn't mean to make things harder for you :lol:

I haven't experienced what you're describing. Not in any of the Forza games. Perhaps your analog stick is acting up? You mentioned the controller's firmware is updated.. it boggles me so as to what the issue could be. :boggled::boggled:

Ahh, right.. hey man, didn't mean to make things harder for you :lol:

I haven't experienced what you're describing. Not in any of the Forza games. Perhaps your analog stick is acting up? You mentioned the controller's firmware is updated.. it boggles me so as to what the issue could be. :boggled::boggled:
That's the thing, I can't really say if its the actual pad that is faulty. I haven't noticed problems in other games yet, but I'll keep an eye out and see if it occurs anywhere else.

That's the thing, I can't really say if its the actual pad that is faulty. I haven't noticed problems in other games yet, but I'll keep an eye out and see if it occurs anywhere else.

Yeah, it is unfortunate. That would ruin the game for me almost completely. It happens to you in every car class? And you say has been the case since the X360 days?

Yeah, it is unfortunate. That would ruin the game for me almost completely. It happens to you in every car class? And you say has been the case since the X360 days?
I haven't tried every car class but for the classes I have tried, it has happened before. It's not that often on most tracks, but since I race on Nurburgring the most I notice it the most there. It happens alot on the first turn, and Karussel, I've also notice it happen on the first turn of Laguna Seca as well.

I feel like I've had it happen on FM4, but I can't really say it with confidence. It's been so long that I cant recall 100%.

I haven't tried every car class but for the classes I have tried, it has happened before. It's not that often on most tracks, but since I race on Nurburgring the most I notice it the most there. It happens alot on the first turn, and Karussel, I've also notice it happen on the first turn of Laguna Seca as well.

I feel like I've had it happen on FM4, but I can't really say it with confidence. It's been so long that I cant recall 100%.

Have you tried the game with a different controller? Post on the official forums... I'm sure you'll get a tonne of help there. If you get lucky, one of the T10 devs or mods might even reply in your thread. Gu'luck!

Have you tried the game with a different controller? Post on the official forums... I'm sure you'll get a tonne of help there. If you get lucky, one of the T10 devs or mods might even reply in your thread. Gu'luck!
I'm not looking for help, really. My point was just to show that this is actually happening, as some people seemed skeptical. If the USB doesn't then it's likely that it's something that will not get fixed. I plan to buy another pad in the future, but just can't justify it yet since I only have single player games. Here's to hoping that it's not on FM6.

I'm really not that bothered about it, to be honest, as I've learned to live with it for the past year :lol:

I'm not looking for help, really. My point was just to show that this is actually happening, as some people seemed skeptical. If the USB doesn't then it's likely that it's something that will not get fixed. I plan to buy another pad in the future, but just can't justify it yet since I only have single player games. Here's to hoping that it's not on FM6.

I'm really not that bothered about it, to be honest, as I've learned to live with it for the past year :lol:

Good man:tup:

Jeez...will someone jam the fast forward button and please skip to the 15th of Sept? :lol:

Are you guys (and gals) aware that bickering over games on the internet is officially the most pointless thing ever? :D

Are you guys (and gals) aware that bickering over games on the internet is officially the most pointless thing ever? :D
I'm treating this discussion no different to if I was discussing something in person with someone. Neither is pointless, as more often then not it'll at least further someones education on the subject.

I'm treating this discussion no different to if I was discussing something in person with someone. Neither is pointless, as more often then not it'll at least further someones education on the subject
If you say so. No problem. You may be right

You seem to not be reading, or understanding what I'm saying.

The wheel has alot more room to turn, and I know this. It just doesn't let it happen. It happens mostly in slow speed cornering, like I've mentioned in my post. I even made an example;

When I say half lock, I'm talking about the amount actually permitted by the turn and speed you're going. Not half of full on lock.

so I was searching for 10 minutes to find this post. :)
it happened to me last night too as I was playing with the joypad.

it was on a rain track, right after leaving a puddle, and I turned left as usual but it seemed like the car didnt obey and turn as much as it normally would, but less, maybe half way like you describe.
I dont think it was the puddle either, because I have run over hundreds of puddles already and know the results, and this aint it.

this happened on full game, not demo. batteries on controller where almost empty though, like less than 2 minutes later the empty msg popped up.
I will play again with the pad during w/e to see if this happens again with full batteries.
never had seen this before, forza5/horizon2 included, and it fits exactly what you described.

so I was searching for 10 minutes to find this post. :)
it happened to me last night too as I was playing with the joypad.

it was on a rain track, right after leaving a puddle, and I turned left as usual but it seemed like the car didnt obey and turn as much as it normally would, but less, maybe half way like you describe.
I dont think it was the puddle either, because I have run over hundreds of puddles already and know the results, and this aint it.

this happened on full game, not demo. batteries on controller where almost empty though, like less than 2 minutes later the empty msg popped up.
I will play again with the pad during w/e to see if this happens again with full batteries.
never had seen this before, forza5/horizon2 included, and it fits exactly what you described.
I've been encountering it in the demo, and the full game as well so far. It's not as persistent as it was in FM5, but its still happening. Once you notice it, you'll forever notice it. I don't use batteries anymore because I thought the wireless signal might be getting interrupted, but even with a micro USB, it is still happening.

Back