Forza 6 Time Attack ChallengeOpen 

• Thread starter JR98
  • 127 comments

GT3 @ Sebring Wet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd say the latest jump was due to that but I had actually tried to get faster a few months ago, @Ialyrn was really helpful and gave me lots of tips and advice. Problem was that I just wasn't fully grasping some of the concepts she was showing me like early light braking and being mindful of the car's weight transfer when braking/ accelerating. Those things have started to click in recently, also @Im_Lukas pointed me to some really helpful videos when I asked him about braking tips. That was a huge help, also @prousonhairy was very helpful (and patient )with me, we'd go and race in private lobby and yeah I learned a lot from that, actually he explained the whole manual with clutch but I didn't try it, dumb me.
I see it all the time where everyone trys to out brake people at the corners, but that isnt the way to run a good race. It is what causes the majority of T1 accidents to be fair, but always braking late and hard is difficult to do lap after lap after lap. It is always much better to drive at a comfortable pace rather than all out, and you will be less likely to make mistakes. This is why I always suggest people start of slow and work up to been faster, as it gives you a change to learn the cars and the track; and without adding undue pressure of attempting to be fast. I have always worked on consistency rather than speed, but the speed has built up over the years from experience.
I've been following @Ialyrn in rivals for some time now and it always amazes me how smooth her transitioning is, even back when she was using a pad for some time. My driving style can be pretty aggressive in comparison, and I've always been one to late brake, rather than smooth and steady, but I've learned to adapt to it and it's just stuck with me now :lol: It works for me though, but in actual races I will tone it down depending on what's going on in front of me.

All in all it seems crazy but I've gotten about 4 to 5 seconds faster in this last three or four months, but I was very slow before so I don't know there was meant to be a lot of,room for improvement. At least I now feel I can compete in these hot lap scenarios. With actual races I think that's a whole different ball game, I'm not consistent yet so that's something I'll have to work on a lot oh also driving in the wet, I suck at it too.
I'm definitely seeing an improvement in your times, and in all honesty, jumping in, I wasn't expecting as much as a challenge from you. I mean that in the nicest way possible! :lol: its a compliment, I swear! You are definitely giving me a run for my money on these last few challenges. As for wet driving, it's all throttle modulation. Just imagine it driving in normal weather with crappy tires. It may seem like you're going slow, but that also holds true for everyone, not just you.

Oh if you try the car I am using now I'm pretty sure I'm toast :), I used the Jaguar before the Cadillac and although it was the same PI it was a handful and was barely doing 2:18.xxx or close to that. If you tune it yourself would you be able to share the tune? :P That's where I'm feeling at a disadvantage because I can't tune to save my life, I have to pickup whatever appears on the recommended tunes menu.
I'm not so sure about that, you got a damn nice lap! I tuned a Jag, and I cant recall if it set my fastest time(which is still over a second slower than you!) but I did manage to make it incredibly stable. I was actually shocked. The Caddy will be the last choice for me, I want to go through the rounds and see what I can do.. Hell, I'm thinking of doing the Tesla, next :lol:

As for tuning, it can be a lifesaver and it definitely makes the car feel like yours. I don't tune for specific tracks, more so a specific feel that fits my driving style. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. If the car runs good off my base set-up, then I'll continue on. It's always nice having a car to drive exactly how you want it.

By the way the other stock challenge is up again if you want to try it, I remember you mentioning that you don't like R class cars but this one is pretty low in PI rating so its sort out f close in performance to a high powered road car fun thing is that obviously it has extra downforce so you can take corners a lot faster and with more confidence.
I'll be sure to check it out. It's not the lack of confidence for the class, it's just that they don't have as much life and presence as road cars do for me.

I'd say the latest jump was due to that but I had actually tried to get faster a few months ago, @Ialyrn was really helpful and gave me lots of tips and advice. Problem was that I just wasn't fully grasping some of the concepts she was showing me like early light braking and being mindful of the car's weight transfer when braking/ accelerating. Those things have started to click in recently, also @Im_Lukas pointed me to some really helpful videos when I asked him about braking tips. That was a huge help, also @prousonhairy was very helpful (and patient )with me, we'd go and race in private lobby and yeah I learned a lot from that, actually he explained the whole manual with clutch but I didn't try it, dumb me.

All in all it seems crazy but I've gotten about 4 to 5 seconds faster in this last three or four months, but I was very slow before so I don't know there was meant to be a lot of,room for improvement. At least I now feel I can compete in these hot lap scenarios. With actual races I think that's a whole different ball game, I'm not consistent yet so that's something I'll have to work on a lot oh also driving in the wet, I suck at it too.

Oh if you try the car I am using now I'm pretty sure I'm toast :), I used the Jaguar before the Cadillac and although it was the same PI it was a handful and was barely doing 2:18.xxx or close to that. If you tune it yourself would you be able to share the tune? :P That's where I'm feeling at a disadvantage because I can't tune to save my life, I have to pickup whatever appears on the recommended tunes menu.

As far as the engine thing, you could be right. It would happen under heavy braking at the end of the straights, but then it would start happening it would just happen every single lap although I could swear I wasn't doing anything different than before.

By the way the other stock challenge is up again if you want to try it, I remember you mentioning that you don't like R class cars but this one is pretty low in PI rating so its sort out f close in performance to a high powered road car fun thing is that obviously it has extra downforce so you can take corners a lot faster and with more confidence.
You've definitely improved drastically over the last few months. It's really cool to see that. At first I was faster then you, then we were very comparable with our times, now you are quite a bit faster than me! :cheers:. Awesome job and keep going!

I really should get on and play more than I have been, I still haven't gotten May's car pack, and there's some great cars in that one. I just can't get back into it like I was playing all the time. I've been playing other games, and quite frankly, spending way too much time in space. :sly:

Last edited:
24 of the top 25 times for this track/PI/division are CTS-V's! :eek: Not the same tune for all of them though.

I'm definitely seeing an improvement in your times, and in all honesty, jumping in, I wasn't expecting as much as a challenge from you. I mean that in the nicest way possible! ... As for wet driving, it's all throttle modulation. Just imagine it driving in normal weather with crappy tires. It may seem like you're going slow, but that also holds true for everyone, not just you.

Thanks man, I do know what you mean. Compliment taken :cheers:, I had a little go at Silverstone in the wet today and tried your tip and it did help although I was still slow I managed to do a few clean laps so that's a start!

I'm not so sure about that, you got a damn nice lap! I tuned a Jag, and I cant recall if it set my fastest time(which is still over a second slower than you!) but I did manage to make it incredibly stable. I was actually shocked. The Caddy will be the last choice for me, I want to go through the rounds and see what I can do.. Hell, I'm thinking of doing the Tesla, next :lol:

As for tuning, it can be a lifesaver and it definitely makes the car feel like yours. I don't tune for specific tracks, more so a specific feel that fits my driving style. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. If the car runs good off my base set-up, then I'll continue on. It's always nice having a car to drive exactly how you want it.

I just improved my tme last night, although it ended up being my fastest lap yet it is the most boring one to watch. I swear that the slower ones looked faster for some reason. It's going to be my last time because I ended up with tendinitis flaring up again.

As far as tuning goes that's what I'd love to do, have the car fit my needs and especially the tracks ones. I did try building a Caddy but it ended up being 2 to 3 seconds slower, finding the balance between aero,mechanical grip and power is so tricky and then setting up the suspension. I always end up making it stiffer and lowering it. It gives good results but never great ones.

You've definitely improved drastically over the last few months. It's really cool to see that. At first I was faster then you, then we were very comparable with our times, now you are quite a bit faster than me! :cheers:. Awesome job and keep going!

I really should get on and play more than I have been, I still haven't gotten May's car pack, and there's some great cars in that one. I just can't get back into it like I was playing all the time. I've been playing other games, and quite frankly, spending way too much time in space. :sly:

Thanks man, but we both know it still depends on car/track combo. You still kick my butt in high powered cars especially on narrow tracks. Also yeah you should drop by Forza it's been a while! 👍

@JASON_ROCKS1998 I'm updating my time. 2:13.184
image.jpeg

@GTracer38 Damn that is a fantastic time! And it only took you five laps to get that lap time? That's crazy.
5 laps in the Cadillac, 6 laps in the Jag XFR-S prior but I could only down to a 2:13.5xx (with a delta of 2:13.1xx)...but thanks! :P

5 laps in the Cadillac, 6 laps in the Jag XFR-S prior but I could only down to a 2:13.5xx (with a delta of 2:13.1xx)...but thanks! :P

You're welcome, sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean about "delta"? What's that?

Last edited:
You're welcome, sorry for my ignoramce but what do you mean about "delta"? What's that?
I'm probably using it wrong, but what I mean by that is if I put my best sector times from the laps I ran to make a single lap, that would be the time.

On the 5th lap in the Jag I did the 2:13.5, but I was .4 of a second down to the first split (which was from my 2:13.8xx I did a lap earlier). If I had the first sector from that lap and the rest of my 2:13.5 I would have been able to get a 2:13.1xx (which is what I thought was called a delta time, but I'm not exactly sure).

After roughly 3 weeks of no racing in any game I feel so disconnected from driving, I was even having trouble keeping my Abarth 500 on the road at first.

Decided to try out this time trial challenge as it seemed like you were all enjoying this one. First off I took out a Maserati Gran Turismo which I already had tuned up to A700 and achieved a 2:13.651, then I had a quick one shot at making a tune for the 2003 Audi RS6 which can already match, or with a better tune will beat that Maserati GT time. I have also successfully ruined the top 25 Cadillac party, that was my real motive :lol:.

Screenshot-Original(1).png

--

As far as tuning goes that's what I'd love to do, have the car fit my needs and especially the tracks ones. I did try building a Caddy but it ended up being 2 to 3 seconds slower, finding the balance between aero,mechanical grip and power is so tricky and then setting up the suspension. I always end up making it stiffer and lowering it. It gives good results but never great ones.

Tuning takes quite some time to get in to as a beginner, but once you know what to adjust to have the desired effect, and how you like your cars to handle then it becomes very rewarding and fun.

For track specific cars I always start with trying to get the build as good as I can manage, when using adjustable suspension, or transmission in the build I will make my own rough settings because the default settings are not worth the PI cost, but don't bother fine tuning these yet. I typically use pen and paper to keep track of times each build manages, and then by the side write an estimate of what it can achieve based on what I've experienced.

For a lot of tracks you can dismiss certain build routes straight away, e.g. you probably don't want to drive a 1000 BHP FWD Volvo wagon with stock tyres at Sonoma (which works great at Daytona/Road America btw), where handling is more important than speed, so you would prioritise maybe tyre upgrades, weight reduction, aero and suspension parts. The toughest bit is when you're forced to choose between two "priority upgrades", this usually requires a few laps on the track to determine which is the most beneficial.

I'm probably using it wrong, but what I mean by that is if I put my best sector times from the laps I ran to make a single lap, that would be the time.

Thanks, I had a look because I had heard the term before but I never checked what it was. So what you meant it's generally referred to as "combined best sector".

Delta time according to the F1 site is "A term used to describe the time difference between two different laps or two different cars. For example, there is usually a negative delta between a driver's best practice lap time and his best qualifying lap time because he uses a low fuel load and new tyres."

Also I used your ghost to see if I could improve my time, I found myself after 10 laps nearly matching your pace (I was a couple car lengths behind) but right on the slow last chicane I missed my braking point and then the last turn that leads to the main straight was awful. I ended up doing a 2:12.750. Regardless I wouldn't have beaten your time anyway. I'm truly happy with that time, at least I got into the 12 sec mark.

The toughest bit is when you're forced to choose between two "priority upgrades", this usually requires a few laps on the track to determine which is the most beneficial.

Thank you Lukas, I'll have a go at tuning a bit more and I'll try to follow your tips. I'm quoting this bit especially because this is where I'm usually lost. I am not very consistent with my lap times, with the same (can be any) tune I can do 20 laps and there can be a difference of 4.5 seconds between slowest and fastest time. So with that in mind I can be running 5 laps each with a different "priority upgrades" and after that I'm not sure whether the upgrade was bad or if I was just driving like crap.

@JASON_ROCKS1998 I'm updating my time, last time I promise! :lol: Also thank you for the tip on how to use the DVR, I didn't realize I just had to snap it! I had forgotten about that feature.

2:12.750
Screenshot-Original.png

Here's the lap. Except for the last sector I'm quite pleased with it.

I wanted to give this another try before bed last night, but never got around to it :(. Either way, I don't think I would have been able to match your guys' time!

2:16.576 for now. Could have gotten into the 15s but got frustrated. The last bit at the bottom of the hill is super irritating to try and hotlap, and I generally don't like this track anyways, so I gave up for now.

Attachments

• 20160606_162731.jpg
    20160606_162731.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 21
upload_2016-6-7_0-7-53.png

Can I join in? Noticed this week's pairing allowed me to use my MLG all-rounder, so took it around for a few laps today. This was after my first clean one, but there's still some time left out there. Unsure if it's faster than the Lancia around here, but it's definitely less of a handful!

2:13.364

2:12.783

Best I could manage in my Lexus LFA, pretty easy to drive around here but not as fast as some of the other more 'on the edge' cars I briefly tested afterwards, including the McLaren F1, F1 GT, Ford GT and Maserati MC12.

Screenshot-Original(2).png

While the original plan was for 10 rounds I have increased it up to 20, with the final 12 rounds focusing on different types of motorsport.

Round 7: R Class Modern Hypercars @ Nordschliefe
Round 8: S Class Touring Cars @ Prague
Round 9: Can-Am @ Watkins Glen Short
Round 10: Grand Prix Legends @ Spa-Francorchamps
Round 11: R Class 80's GT @ Nurburgring GP
Round 12: V8 Supercars @ Bathurst
Round 13: GT3 @ Sebring Wet
Round 14: 70's GP @ Brands Hatch Wet
Round 15: P Class LMP's @ Le Mans Night
Round 16: NASCAR @ Daytona Superspeedway
Round 17: 90's GP @ Catalunya
Round 18: Formula E @ Long Beach
Round 19: IndyCar @ Indinapolis Superspeedway
Round 20: Modern GP @ Yas Marina Night

If a round doesn't have a class next to it then the cars should be run stock.
2 rounds (16 & 17) will require DLC​

Well I hope I never have to see this track again, I had dislike for it but now I absolutely hate it. In a slower car would be fine but with these suckers it felt like Monaco on crack cocaine. 2:10.839

image.jpeg

It's just so 🤬 bumpy through a few parts that the slightest if line changes can throw you into a wall. Combine that with the highly questionable 'track limits' and it's just not fun to try and hotlap.

I mean, you can fully hit the wall on the outside of turn 1 and be certified, but if you look sideways at the tyre bundles on the outside at the bottom of the hill, uncertified. Similarly you can cut the bejeezus out of the downhill left coming down from the top of the track and the chicane at the bottom of the track, but if you glance at the curbs going through the narrow bit towards the last tight right, uncertified. 🤬 you Forza.

I've always had serious problems with the GP track here (well outlined in another post) but this just confirmed for me that this track is 🤬 and I never want to run here again haha.

It's maybe okay in slower cars, and for actual racing the club circuit is almost certainly the best of the street tracks in FM6, but not for hotlapping, and certainly not at S700.

I agree, I hate how bumpy it is, it felt more like a rally stage than a circuit. Such a contrast with the previous round at Silverstone where you could start memorizing your line and start perfecting it little by little. Here every lap felt completely different and due to the bumps in some turns I felt like I could only cross my fingers and hope for the best, felt like it was more about luck than skill. I know it's a street circuit so it shouldn't be compared to Silverstone but we can compare it to Long Beach which at first is annoying but it has a very well defined racing line which you can memorize and get good at.

As far as track limits, I find all three of Forza's fantasy tracks to be equally annoying. There are bits that look like run off areas but you can totally drive over them and you still get clean laps, sometimes they are also the quickest way to go around the track.

I decided to try the Hennessey Venom, and I knew the car was going to be a handful, but god Lord this car is blistering fast. I was constantly pausing to wipe the sweat off my hands :lol: it took my so long to get a clean lap because the slightest blip of the throttle can send you spinning into a wall

6:39.869
IMG_20160610_214046.jpg

Gave this a few tries in the stock LaFerrari but have yet to get a clean lap, mostly because of the same corner about 5:30 into the lap (went off there 3 times). Current time is at 7:20 but that's a dirty lap and had a big off and spin as well. I think it'll be possible for me to get a clean lap under 7 minutes but will be nowhere near the time of the tuned hypercars.

Also I noticed the engine sound for the LaFerrari is very similar to GRID's R34 GT-R Z-Tune sound but a lot beefier. The similarities are most notable on the downshifts I think.

Back