Forza Horizon 4, F1 2018 up for Awards at Gamescom 2018

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by GTPNewsWire, Aug 18, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. SavageEvil

SavageEvil

Hold on, is this new or have we started issuing awards for games before they are even in the hands of the general public now? How is Forza Horizon 4 on that list at all? I must be missing something, is this standard practice and I somehow missed the memo? FH3 I would give the nod instantly but not being able to actually purchase FH4 and play it yet it's up for awards is somewhat ridiculous.

3. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Game shows have always given awards to games that are being displayed there.

BoneSawTX and ykiki like this.
  4. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

:confused:

There's always a bunch of awards at E3, almost exclusively for games that aren't out yet.

These games will be playable on the show floor next week. All this list is, is a pre-emptive showing of which titles are in which categories. At this point, the organizers know which titles will be there, so this is just getting ahead of the curve, really.

East27 and ImaRobot like this.
  5. breyzipp

breyzipp

I don’t think F1 2018 stands a chance next to FH4 tbh.

syntex123 likes this.
  6. Corsa

Corsa Premium

They've been doing this for years it is ridiculous.
    Let's not wait to see what it does in sales, how the developers support it after release, or what the multiplayer numbers look like in six months.
    What we have (as with most other things in the world) is a handful of people in charge of distributing pats on the back and awards.

Which is funny because we the consumer are in charge of money distribution to fill their coffers.

I'll wait for my fellow gamers to voice their opinions on a title before I ever pay attention to developers giving each other plastic trophies.

tbwhhs and MrCrynox like this.
  7. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I think you're overlooking the fact this is a trade show and these awards are awarding what is shown there. This is something that is done at pretty much every trade show regardless of what is being demonstrated.

ykiki likes this.
  8. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

9. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

4th time the same game with the same cars and a different map, wins the best racing game award...

10. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

The Formula 1 games are not known for re-writing the rulebook for racing games with each instalment either, what's your point?

BoneSawTX likes this.
  11. Aphelion

Aphelion

:lol: what??? Its an award for a the best racing game at gamescom. Why on earth would sales have anything to do with it??

ykiki likes this.
  12. georgetigra

georgetigra

MS was always strong in advertising!!

Il_Conte_Sky, tuyang and tbwhhs like this.
  13. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

So is FIFA, NHL, NBA and pretty much every other sport game... Apples and oranges.

14. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

Yeah, those games are centred around a sport, so there is not much they can change with each instalment.

The Horizon series is also centred around a particular theme - It represents a global racing festival featuring performance cars. How much would you expect the game to change?

15. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

What kind of question even is that? :D well out of my head God of War for PS4 is a good example... I mean, every game is centered around something but that does not mean it cannot develop and change to better.

FH on the other hand stalls. So does FM.

16. Ande3200

Ande3200

But the fact is. Its not the same cars they are brand new ones, pretty awesome too. Their is plenty of new features.
    Like buy houses, drag tyres, new 1/4 mile strip at the festival, seasons. 35 new widebody kits, track width and so Much more

Bogie 19th likes this.
  17. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

It's much harder to do with a racing game. If you try and drastically change something in a franchise, you end up with a serious identity crisis (i.e. Need For Speed) or you alienate a core group of fans (do I really need an example for this one?).

And I fail to see how FH has "stalled". As @Ande3200 Said above, FH4 probably has the most new features of any Horizon instalment to date, some of which change how progression is structured.

18. Auditore

Auditore

Open world car games are non existent nowadays so Horizon got a huge advantage,i would like to see if next Gamescom Asseto Corsa Competizione loses to Forza 8 lol

Lord Protector likes this.
  19. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

It will. Racing-Award givers are usually total imbeciles. I mean FM7 won against GT Sport easily...

crooky369 likes this.
  20. Auditore

Auditore

Most reviewers feel lost reviewing sports games,you gotta look for channels that specializes in reviewing those games.

21. Corsa

Corsa Premium

You've completely missed my point.

Anyway, is FH4 really considered a racing game? I thought it was more of an open world driving game. Surprised F1 didn't win.

22. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

The primary objective in Forza Horizon 4 is to race so.... Yeah? :odd:

UKMikey, xlDevontelx, DK and 3 others like this.
  23. Corsa

Corsa Premium

I look at it as something different I guess, a fun good looking break from the serious league stuff I do.

It's coming to PC so I'll pick it up.

24. Joey D

Joey D Contributing Writer

The racing genre pretty much covers anything when the objective is to drive. Many game sites and stores even put Euro Truck Simulation 2 under "Racing Game".

25. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

If we are being really really reeeeally pedantic, you can race against the clock in that game. :idea:

26. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

Go on...

27. ImaRobot

ImaRobot

So now you're going against your own point?

Yeah, that only took about what, 13 years for that to happen? Out of curiosity, what are some examples of significant changes to the core game that you think should be implemented/changed?

Oh, another game that also isn't reinventing the genre either? Weird.. GTS did change compared to it's past iteration, but its not really bringing in anything that wasn't already being done by other games.

You really have that big of an issue with these outlets choosing one game over another?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    UKMikey, CTstryk, bf3 and 1 other person like this.
  28. GTnForza4ever

GTnForza4ever

Obvious troll. I can't believe almost 20 messages later people are still arguing with you.

Guys, STOP feeding his trolling and he'll be gone in no time.

Lord Protector likes this.
  29. DK

DK Premium

I think I know what swung the award away from F1 '18:

(Possible language warning)

30. bf3

bf3

All its very simple i think - seems some GT fans just CANT accept that another Forza game/iteration is just getting better and better.
    Nothing new?Well,its not like GT not doingsame overand over..Sport moved other direction,but whats really new there?You still driving cars.
    In such news/threads yo u can literally come to read some absolute pearls :D