Forza Horizon 4: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 13,852 comments
Got a pair of achievements in tonight: Record Breaker and The OG. I'm not a big Achievement Hunter, but I got to do something until the new Series.

:lol: Tons of free content - That's the epitome of cheap. I have no idea what you mean in comparison to Sea of Theives, a game that had a terrible launch with a ridiculously low amount of content and taking the term repetitiveness to a whole new level. They had to support the game with how lackluster it actually was. It looked nice, that's literally all it had going for it.

SOT's problem was that they were charging too much for it. The game was originally intended to be more of a social sandbox than a traditional game with "content" you consume, but charging $60 for that was absurd. I also think the hype for what it could be, started to overshadow what they were actually making. I think people expected some sprawling pirate RPG or something.

Either way, they'd added a ton to it over the last nearly two years, and it's pretty great now - though still not for everyone.

I think Forza Horizon is the epitome of support done on the cheap. Compare to Sea of Thieves and Gears 5 and you'll know what I mean. It's easily the low risk/high profit franchise in Microsoft's portfolio right now, which could be a problem IMO due to the need for a new game on the new console.

Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves both have microtransaction stores funding their ongoing development. And Gears gets a "free" content drop quarterly, not weekly.

"Support done on the cheap" is just completely detached from reality. Forza Horizon 4 is the one game in Microsoft's active portfolio that has been getting months and months of 100% free new stuff, with absolutely no attempts to nickel and dime for ANY of it.

And it appears poised to get dozens of more cars and other stuff this year, despite most of the team probably having moved on to production on FH5.

If there is not going to be a new Horizon for another 2 years at minimum(which is the entire life of every other horizon game), they certainly are going to need to add alot more content, not just cars.

This assumes their goal is for people to keep playing FH4 for another 2+ years. Horizon isn't like Motorsport, where they have an esports and competitive community. Like most games, I'm sure they don't expect people to play FH4 forever.

Outside of this site, the whining is unreal. Literally. PG should give Horizon a break and finish that new non racing game they were making. I rather see that than a Horizon 5.

The other project is being made by a completely separate team within PG, and is almost 100% certain to be a new Fable game. Horizon's development has no effect on that project one way or another.

For real, then people wonder why women don't want to be a part of these communities.
That's the internet for ya. How ridiculous...
The Forza community/fanbase is indeed a massive headache and a pain in the neck to deal with. I’m fine with whatever car that is coming to the game, but I don’t whine constantly to Playground Games nor to Turn 10 Studios about it.

Also, the thing that most fans tend to forget is that the cars are included because of LICENSING AGREEMENTS. If a car manufacturer says no to a car, then that car can’t be implemented into the game.
Preach it man! 👍

I'm grateful we've gotten all these FREE content for almost two years, and the fact that PG has been supporting this game until the release FM8.

Hats down to PG/T10, seriously. I'm glad to still be part of this community despite there being spoiled fans among us all.
The other project is being made by a completely separate team within PG, and is almost 100% certain to be a new Fable game. Horizon's development has no effect on that project one way or another.
Ahhh okay. I almost forgot they had another team, silly me. :P

Thank you. :)

Brian left Turn 10? Then I hope the new host on Forza Monthly will calm down over time. Too much energy.

Much like Mike Ybarra leaving (MS VP under Phil Spencer), I think Brian got something that he just couldn't turn down, which is understandable.

Retro, on the other hand, stated that she "quit", with no mention she had another job lined up. So something must've been bad enough for her to quit. Could be something internally at PG, the work itself, perhaps more obvious stuff like low salary/lots of hours put in (social media/forums/discord/etc) or something simple like not wanting to do it anymore.

I know the community isn't the best, much like every game community, but I have doubts a professional lets that get to them, could be an age thing in how you deal with stuff, I could be wrong. John from Digital Foundry is older and deals with lots of nonsense on social media, even he admits it "gets" to him. Some stress perhaps just isn't worth the money.

The issues with the Discord aren't really because of the community - it's not hard to warn, kick, and ban. I personally stepped down as moderator there because the leaders of that stuff were doing things I was definitely not cool with.

Also, if they do bring back the CTR2, Horizon would be the 3rd game I know that has both Porsche and RUF (GTS and The Crew 2).

I would get extra hyped if the Yellowbird (new or old) comes :)

Also technically Motorsport 4 and Horizon 2 if you're counting DLC (which is technically how GTS got it anyway). Both debuted with RUF then got Porsche later.

I was watching the Update 18 Live Stream after it was over (skipped most of it just to see the cars in action), and I was wondering why they didn't show the cockpit view of the AE86 whereas they showed the cockpit views of the other cars. Apparently, the shifting animation looks like the driver is touching the bottom of the steering wheel or a certain lower body part to change gears in the AE86 :lol: (see 0:18 - 0:21) (not complaining though, it's just something that I find to be rather funny)

There's some way worse stuff that I can't say, but things like overstepping by breaking their own policy of warning before banning members, sweeping things under the rug, and generally being hostile.
Maybe they're getting heated because the 10-year-olds keep spamming crap.

That's why I hardly go on the general server. I normally stick on the Route Creator one.

I Hope we can get a answer as to why FH4 has recycled engine sounds more then any other forza, even when it comes to the new huracan i wish they used the R8 V10 Plus sound rather then the poorer Standard Huracan sound, Anyway look at this nonsense:

How do I get rid of the 2?
3F578EB6-D97C-40EA-9431-9093DFCC259C.jpeg

I know the number resets for rewards claimed like for 50% completion but after I complete a season it’s still there.

Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves both have microtransaction stores funding their ongoing development. And Gears gets a "free" content drop quarterly, not weekly.

"Support done on the cheap" is just completely detached from reality. Forza Horizon 4 is the one game in Microsoft's active portfolio that has been getting months and months of 100% free new stuff, with absolutely no attempts to nickel and dime for ANY of it.

And it appears poised to get dozens of more cars and other stuff this year, despite most of the team probably having moved on to production on FH5.

List of free stuff:

1) Cars

Timed availability. Every other car comes with bugs, weak features (SUVs without bodykits for example) or just wasted potential. Playground agrees bugs are bad, so they're quick to fix bugs with major cars. Many, many new cars are returning cars, not new stuff, they'd better be free!

2) Stories

We got one truly good story in Top Gear and... what else? The stories added post-release are pretty bad and offer nothing new to the table. Last one was Upgrade Heroes and it could have shipped with the game.

3) Features

Most features added in post-release were in FH3, had been axed in FH4 and were brought back only by public pressure. Game shipped with Team Racing and Team Games, and no Rivals. It was similar problem with FM7. So, while Playground deserves praise for listening, the only forward movement were the penalties in Ranked, which get exploited all the time.

4) Eliminator

It's different enough to set itself apart. But it doesn't have the same impact as a new island. You can't expect me to put whole new graphics and cars in the same level as a pink ring and elimination head-to-head races.

The content may be free of charge, but the people making it are not doing this for free. Don't expect the same level of attention as paid content would have. It was sad to see the 488 Pista with paint and animation bugs while the Supra came in perfect with a myriad of bumpers and unique sound. Though, truth be told, there were cars with silly bugs even in the paid content.

I believe FH4's support is done "on the cheap" because that's my perception. They don't go the extra length, it's all just "here, take some free cars and shut up". Cars are outsourced anyway. I also suspect some cars are held back to prolong the game's life (why are we getting the Performante only now? it's old already), but that's just conjecture, can't prove it. I'm not asking for Gran Turismo levels of obsession, just a little more polish.

Also (from another thread):

The car sound issue is indeed brought up a lot within the enthusiast community - but that is not necessarily representative of the majority of players, or even a large minority. That a forum post here, or on the official forums, can garner a bunch of upvotes, isn't really indicative of the response at large. There was also a massive thread on the official forums, about how one of the new Corvettes added to the game had the wrong stock rims, for example. The average player is unlikely to notice or care.

Which goes against the big deal Playground made about the Senna's sound prior to release, or the fact they did issue a (poor) sound update after complaints, or how there were official replies in that Corvette thread assuring the bugs would be fixed. And fixed they were, in great fashion, I was very happy when they even fixed the easily missable ZR1 badge in the dial.

Wrong wheels is significant, it's got an impact on licensing. You can't paint Legos in custom colors because Lego does not sell kits in those colors. Likewise, the ZR1 needs its wheels. Imagine if it was Ferrari or something, who are much more defensive of their IP.

It also helped that the ZR1 was paid DLC but there's still paid cars with bugs that hinder them.

I agree - casual players don't "notice" or "care". But that's why their opinion is really not important. You need to draw in the casuals to earn money but if you want to sustain a game as large as AAA for long you need to keep the hardcore fanbase playing. Take Gears 5 for example, they catered to the casuals, lost the veterans and killed the game. Halo got so much backlash this gen that 343i had no choice but to back down on certain changes.

That's how important fans are. The post-release support is really for them, not the casuals.

The content may be free of charge, but the people making it are not doing this for free. Don't expect the same level of attention as paid content would have. It was sad to see the 488 Pista with paint and animation bugs while the Supra came in perfect with a myriad of bumpers and unique sound. Though, truth be told, there were cars with silly bugs even in the paid content.
It's actually getting the same exact level as paid content in the past it seems, and even within it's own game. What exactly is the difference between the paid content in FH4 compared to the free content in FH4? I don't even understand what you're getting at because you defeated your own point, that the quality between paid and free content is not the same, with the last sentence.

It being paid or free hasn't made the quality between the two any better or worse.

I believe FH4's support is done "on the cheap" because that's my perception. They don't go the extra length, it's all just "here, take some free cars and shut up". Cars are outsourced anyway.
Well then you're making it obvious that you're massively underplaying it to push your agenda then. That you don't like the stuff they're giving doesn't make it cheap, it just means that you don't like it.

I also suspect some cars are held back to prolong the game's life (why are we getting the Performante only now? it's old already), but that's just conjecture, can't prove it. I'm not asking for Gran Turismo levels of obsession, just a little more polish.
Saying that it's old is just dumb because there's literally tons and tons and tons and tons of actually old cars that aren't in the game. There's absolutely no logic there. Obvious conspiracy theory is obvious.

Free content done "cheap". Had to hide it beyond a spoiler cause is so cheap I can't even look at it.
  • Summer September 27: 911 GT3 RS '19
  • Autumn October 4: Ferrari 812 Superfast
  • Winter October 11: Chevy Colorado ZR2
  • Spring October 18: Honda Civic '18
    SERIES 2 cu - October 23: Route Creator
  • Summer October 25: Hot Wheels Twin Mill
  • Autumn November 1: Hot Wheels Boneshaker
  • Winter November 8: 911 GT3 RS '19
  • Spring November 15: Gymkhana 10 Hoonicorn
    SERIES 3 cu - November 20: Service Check, New Rims & Paint detail, Horizon Racing Cup
  • Summer November 22: Gymkhana 10 Fiesta
  • Autumn November 29: X-Bow GT4
  • Winter December 6: Gymkhana 10 Focus RS RX
  • Spring December 13: Honda CRX Mugen
    SERIES 4 cu - December 13: Photo Mode improvements, Holiday character customization
  • Summer December 20: FE cars
  • Autumn December 27: Mosler MT900S
  • Winter January 3: Hudson Hornet | DS 3 Racing
  • Spring January 10: Hoonigan RS200
    SERIES 5 cu - January 15: Free-For-All Adventure, Isha's Taxi business, free Mitsubishi car pack
  • Summer January 17: Hot Wheels Rip Rod
  • Autumn January 24: Mercedes 280SL
  • Winter January 31: Maserati Levante
  • Spring February 7: Hot Wheels Mustang
    File limits cu - February 4: Increased Garage size, saved Photos and Designs
    SERIES 6 cu - February 13/14: Skill Streak, Seasonal Playground Games, new Hoonigan Clothing
  • Summer February 14: TVR Tuscan
  • Autumn February 21: Nissan Fairlady 300Z / Quartz Regalia / Quartz Regalia Type-D
  • Winter February 28: Cadillac Escalade
  • Spring March 7: Honda Prelude '94 / Ken Block Race Helmet
    SERIES 7 cu - March 12: Festival Playlist, Showcase Remixes, new Achievements, RTR cars
  • Summer March 14: Ford Mustang RTR S5 / Porsche 914/6 | RTR Born to Fun Black shirt
  • Autumn March 21: Ford #24 RTR Mustang / Pontiac GTO '65 | RTR Fun Haver Blue top
  • Winter March 28: Ford #88 RTR Mustang / Lotus Elise '99
  • Spring April 4: BMW Z4 '19 / BMW M3-GTR
    SERIES 8 cu - April 9: Drift Adventure, Barrett-Jackson Car Pack, Masking layer paint
  • Summer April 11: Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door / Mercedes-Benz X-Class
  • Autumn April 18: Ferrari 599XX Evo / Plymouth Fury
  • Winter April 25: Chevy Chevelle '67
  • Spring May 2: Vauxhall Corsa '09 / Rabbit Outfit, Rabbit Ears
    SERIES 9 cu - May 7: Car Files Story, Custom Adventure, Wallriding slowdown
  • Summer May 9: Morris Mini-Traveller / Mini JCW Convertible
  • Autumn May 16: Maserati MC12 Corsa
  • Winter May 23: MINI JCW Countryman / MINI JCW Buggy
  • Spring May 30: Apollo IE / Buick GSX
    SERIES 10 cu - June 4: Star Card
  • Summer June 6: Maserati Ghibli '14
  • Autumn June 13: FIAT Dino
  • Winter June 20: AMC Rebel "The Machine"
  • Spring June 27: Rimac C_Two
    SERIES 11 cu - July 2: Class-based Rivals, Story: Top Gear, My Horizon Life reward list
  • Summer July 4: Mercedes-Benz 6x6, M-B E 350 All-Terrain, Track-Tor (Story rewards)
  • Autumn July 11: Chevy Impala '96 / McLaren 12C
  • Winter July 18: Koenigsegg CCX
  • Spring July 25: Jeep Wrangler Deberti
    SERIES 12 cu - July 30: Racing Through the Years championships
  • Summer August 1: LEGO Barn Find released
  • Autumn August 8: VW Type 3 1600 L Notchback / VW Karmann Ghia
  • Winter August 15: Aston Martin DBS Superleggera
  • Spring August 22: Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato
    SERIES 13 cu - August 28: All Porsche, All the Time
  • Summer August 29: Italdesign Zerouno
  • Autumn September 5: Porsche #46 356 SL Gmund Coupe
  • Winter September 12: Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
  • Spring September 19: Porsche Macan Turbo / Porsche 906 Carrera 6
    SERIES 14 cu - September 24: Anniversary, 11 new Achievements, Route Creator improvements
  • Summer September 26: McLaren 600LT | Nissan & Mercedes-Benz Preorder Cars gifted
  • Autumn October 3: VW #94 I.D. R Pikes Peak
  • Winter October 10: Ford F-150 Deberti Design
  • Spring October 17: McLaren 720S Spider
    SERIES 15 cu - October 23: Upgrade Heroes Story
  • Summer October 24: Rossion Q1 / Pumpkin Hat (annual exclusive)
  • Autumn October 31: Bugatti Divo / Skeleton Morph Suit (annual exclusive)
  • Winter November 7: BMW M3 GTS
  • Spring November 14: Koenigsegg CCGT
    SERIES 16 cu - November 20
  • Summer November 21: Ferrari 488 Pista
  • Autumn November 28: Ferrari 512 S / Santa Hat, Elf Outfit (Forzathon Shop, annual exclusives)
  • Winter December 5: ATS GT / Reindeer Jumper, Elf Outfit, Santa's Tash (Forzathon Shop, annual exclusives)
  • Spring December 12: Lamborghini Diablo GTR / Reindeer Nose, Elf Hat, Santa Outfit (Forzathon Shop, annual exclusives)
    SERIES 17 cu: The Eliminator
  • Eliminator Rewards: Toyota Supra (also Autoshow) / Renault Megane R26.R / Mercury Cougar Eliminator
  • Summer December 19: "Happy Holidays" Quickchat
  • Autumn December 26 Renault Clio V6 / Alpine A110 (50% Series completion) / "Happy New Year!"
  • Winter January 2: Renault Megane R.S. '18 / Renault Clio R.S. 16 Concept
  • Spring January 9: Renault Clio 197
    SERIES 18 cu: Eliminator Heavy Hitters
  • Summer January 16: Hummer H1 Alpha Open Top
  • Autumn January 23: Lamborghini Huracan Performante
  • Winter January 30: Porsche 356C Emory
  • Spring February 6: Toyota Trueno

Free content done "cheap". Had to hide it beyond a spoiler cause is so cheap I can't even look at it.
  • Summer September 27: 911 GT3 RS '19
  • Autumn October 4: Ferrari 812 Superfast
  • Winter October 11: Chevy Colorado ZR2
  • Spring October 18: Honda Civic '18
    SERIES 2 cu - October 23: Route Creator
  • Summer October 25: Hot Wheels Twin Mill
  • Autumn November 1: Hot Wheels Boneshaker
  • Winter November 8: 911 GT3 RS '19
  • Spring November 15: Gymkhana 10 Hoonicorn
    SERIES 3 cu - November 20: Service Check, New Rims & Paint detail, Horizon Racing Cup
  • Summer November 22: Gymkhana 10 Fiesta
  • Autumn November 29: X-Bow GT4
  • Winter December 6: Gymkhana 10 Focus RS RX
  • Spring December 13: Honda CRX Mugen
    SERIES 4 cu - December 13: Photo Mode improvements, Holiday character customization
  • Summer December 20: FE cars
  • Autumn December 27: Mosler MT900S
  • Winter January 3: Hudson Hornet | DS 3 Racing
  • Spring January 10: Hoonigan RS200
    SERIES 5 cu - January 15: Free-For-All Adventure, Isha's Taxi business, free Mitsubishi car pack
  • Summer January 17: Hot Wheels Rip Rod
  • Autumn January 24: Mercedes 280SL
  • Winter January 31: Maserati Levante
  • Spring February 7: Hot Wheels Mustang
    File limits cu - February 4: Increased Garage size, saved Photos and Designs
    SERIES 6 cu - February 13/14: Skill Streak, Seasonal Playground Games, new Hoonigan Clothing
  • Summer February 14: TVR Tuscan
  • Autumn February 21: Nissan Fairlady 300Z / Quartz Regalia / Quartz Regalia Type-D
  • Winter February 28: Cadillac Escalade
  • Spring March 7: Honda Prelude '94 / Ken Block Race Helmet
    SERIES 7 cu - March 12: Festival Playlist, Showcase Remixes, new Achievements, RTR cars
  • Summer March 14: Ford Mustang RTR S5 / Porsche 914/6 | RTR Born to Fun Black shirt
  • Autumn March 21: Ford #24 RTR Mustang / Pontiac GTO '65 | RTR Fun Haver Blue top
  • Winter March 28: Ford #88 RTR Mustang / Lotus Elise '99
  • Spring April 4: BMW Z4 '19 / BMW M3-GTR
    SERIES 8 cu - April 9: Drift Adventure, Barrett-Jackson Car Pack, Masking layer paint
  • Summer April 11: Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door / Mercedes-Benz X-Class
  • Autumn April 18: Ferrari 599XX Evo / Plymouth Fury
  • Winter April 25: Chevy Chevelle '67
  • Spring May 2: Vauxhall Corsa '09 / Rabbit Outfit, Rabbit Ears
    SERIES 9 cu - May 7: Car Files Story, Custom Adventure, Wallriding slowdown
  • Summer May 9: Morris Mini-Traveller / Mini JCW Convertible
  • Autumn May 16: Maserati MC12 Corsa
  • Winter May 23: MINI JCW Countryman / MINI JCW Buggy
  • Spring May 30: Apollo IE / Buick GSX
    SERIES 10 cu - June 4: Star Card
  • Summer June 6: Maserati Ghibli '14
  • Autumn June 13: FIAT Dino
  • Winter June 20: AMC Rebel "The Machine"
  • Spring June 27: Rimac C_Two
    SERIES 11 cu - July 2: Class-based Rivals, Story: Top Gear, My Horizon Life reward list
  • Summer July 4: Mercedes-Benz 6x6, M-B E 350 All-Terrain, Track-Tor (Story rewards)
  • Autumn July 11: Chevy Impala '96 / McLaren 12C
  • Winter July 18: Koenigsegg CCX
  • Spring July 25: Jeep Wrangler Deberti
    SERIES 12 cu - July 30: Racing Through the Years championships
  • Summer August 1: LEGO Barn Find released
  • Autumn August 8: VW Type 3 1600 L Notchback / VW Karmann Ghia
  • Winter August 15: Aston Martin DBS Superleggera
  • Spring August 22: Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato
    SERIES 13 cu - August 28: All Porsche, All the Time
  • Summer August 29: Italdesign Zerouno
  • Autumn September 5: Porsche #46 356 SL Gmund Coupe
  • Winter September 12: Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
  • Spring September 19: Porsche Macan Turbo / Porsche 906 Carrera 6
    SERIES 14 cu - September 24: Anniversary, 11 new Achievements, Route Creator improvements
  • Summer September 26: McLaren 600LT | Nissan & Mercedes-Benz Preorder Cars gifted
  • Autumn October 3: VW #94 I.D. R Pikes Peak
  • Winter October 10: Ford F-150 Deberti Design
  • Spring October 17: McLaren 720S Spider
    SERIES 15 cu - October 23: Upgrade Heroes Story
  • Summer October 24: Rossion Q1 / Pumpkin Hat (annual exclusive)
  • Autumn October 31: Bugatti Divo / Skeleton Morph Suit (annual exclusive)
  • Winter November 7: BMW M3 GTS
  • Spring November 14: Koenigsegg CCGT
    SERIES 16 cu - November 20
  • Summer November 21: Ferrari 488 Pista
  • Autumn November 28: Ferrari 512 S / Santa Hat, Elf Outfit (Forzathon Shop, annual exclusives)
  • Winter December 5: ATS GT / Reindeer Jumper, Elf Outfit, Santa's Tash (Forzathon Shop, annual exclusives)
  • Spring December 12: Lamborghini Diablo GTR / Reindeer Nose, Elf Hat, Santa Outfit (Forzathon Shop, annual exclusives)
    SERIES 17 cu: The Eliminator
  • Eliminator Rewards: Toyota Supra (also Autoshow) / Renault Megane R26.R / Mercury Cougar Eliminator
  • Summer December 19: "Happy Holidays" Quickchat
  • Autumn December 26 Renault Clio V6 / Alpine A110 (50% Series completion) / "Happy New Year!"
  • Winter January 2: Renault Megane R.S. '18 / Renault Clio R.S. 16 Concept
  • Spring January 9: Renault Clio 197
    SERIES 18 cu: Eliminator Heavy Hitters
  • Summer January 16: Hummer H1 Alpha Open Top
  • Autumn January 23: Lamborghini Huracan Performante
  • Winter January 30: Porsche 356C Emory
  • Spring February 6: Toyota Trueno

It was good when it was something like 6 -7 or 8 cars a month, now we have too often 4 cars. There's still plenty of cars form X1 generation that we coud get (especially from FM7 with lots of cars that came back from X360-era).
It's however pretty nice that we got all these cars for free, I don't think there wasn't much in any other Forza.

It was good when it was something like 6 -7 or 8 cars a month, now we have too often 4 cars. There's still plenty of cars form X1 generation that we coud get (especially from FM7 with lots of cars that came back from X360-era).
It's however pretty nice that we got all these cars for free, I don't think there wasn't much in any other Forza.
I think we're at a good point in this genre right now. Both GT are Forza are pushing hard on post-release content for no price, and regardless of peoples view on the ways to obtain the cars in game, this is nothing but great for us, the consumer. I'm wondering how next gen is going to pan out for both the series.

At the beginning we had even 12 cars per month with the car pass. The list I showed is just free content. It's not just cars. Almost every part of the game got improved to some degree. From Livery Editor, PhotoMode, car parts, Adventure improvements... We got Course Creator, 4 aditional stories, Custom Adventure, Eliminator... All for free. Countless hours of work done for us.... costumers, fans. I am not saying that we should only praise them... but they do deserve a little bit of appreciation. From time to time.

Does anybody know how many cars there currently are, DLC/Seasonal Rewards included?
I'm actually kinda curious to know, with the current garage cap, if it's even possible to own one of every car in the game.

Does anybody know how many cars there currently are, DLC/Seasonal Rewards included?
I'm actually kinda curious to know, with the current garage cap, if it's even possible to own one of every car in the game.

I don't have the numbers, but it is possible to own one of every car.

Back