Forza Horizon 4: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 13,852 comments
I had decided of skip this week's trial since I heard that the VW wasn't all that. But since I found one on the Auction House pretty cheap I thought what the heck. I'm utterly perplexed the some people think the ID R is too slow to compete. I just lowered the aero to it's lowest value then got the oversteer under control and now It's starting to beating my records. Some of which were previously held by X class cars. Sure, the top speed is low but it gets there quickly and it's not much lower than the top speed I could achieve on a given circuit anyway.
The average lap speed is so high that the Unbeatable A.I. is dusted in half a lap never to be seen again.

Depends on the track, on Ambleside Village it's nearly unbeatable, on Greendale Super Sprint... Good luck.

I've been playing around with the I.D R and my opinion of it improves the more I drive it. It's still extremely biased towards handling, which is a limiting factor, but there are a few specific routes/stunts it's gonna become the weapon of choice in. In Rivals you don't need to overtake anyone, which makes it easier to exploit the car's superior handling.

Do you really find it unthinkable that manufacturers approach Microsoft to get their cars in Forza for publicity reasons? I don’t.

Case in point: RAM Power Wagon in FM7.

Yes, VW made this car to help improve its image after Dieselgate. They even ran it in American territory (Pikes Peak). And I suspect its record won't be beaten by any petrol car anytime soon, if ever, because the I.D R has the ideal powertrain for such a climb: it doesn't need to rely on dense air to feed its motors and the colder temperature at higher altitudes prevents the motors from overheating under stress.

I applaud their effort, though, because it does look badass and futuristic. Not sure how I feel about it being in Horizon, though, as no one in their right mind would want to drive it on real roads... Imagine getting in and out of it!

Last edited:
Yes, VW made this car to help improve its image after Dieselgate. They even ran it in American territory (Pikes Peak). And I suspect its record won't be beaten by any petrol car anytime soon, if ever, because the I.D R has the ideal powertrain for such a climb: it doesn't need to rely on dense air to feed its motors and the colder temperature at higher altitudes prevents the motors from overheating under stress.

I applaud their effort, though, because it does look badass and futuristic. Not sure how I feel about it being in Horizon, though, as no one in their right mind would want to drive it on real roads... Imagine getting in and out of it!

I'm also not a big fan of the modern race cars in Forza Horizon (I despised that pack of GT race cars in FH3). Returning to FH4, the reality of the matter is that all DLC has become free, and it shines through in some of the recent DLC choices. I have absolutely no doubt that FH4 was offered the Volkswagen I.D. R. without any licensing fee to be paid. It doesn't seem like anything more than a step in the post-dieselgate green propaganda. Someone please prove me wrong.

At least it would be an understandable cost-saving strategy for Playground Games, and therefore I also have no problem saying when free content like the I.D. R. doesn't benefit the game. They know it themselves, but shortcuts that make them look generous will be taken. This PR approach is part of the Forza DNA after all.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the classic race cars we've been getting like the 917 LH and Monaco.

I have trouble fitting the 917LH into the meta I want (S1 class), but it drives nicely in stock form.

I don't really mind the sound either. It doesn't sound like a 917 but you simply can't expect Playground (or Turn 10) to do endless recording sessions with a vintage 917. No one who owns a 917 would let them do it. Best thing they can do is granular synth and I hope the teams get it right in the future.

The Offloading Community championship is diabolical, that one that goes along the river the AI is way OP in that.

My modified Bowler had no problem keeping up, but the problem with the chosen routes this week is they're full of dumb traps that encourage repeated rewinding, especially the one along the southern river. It would be nice if Playground made an effort to pick routes that showcase some of the most enjoyable routes made by the community, instead of routes that are quirky just for the sake of it.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing the motorsport cars come back from FH3. The XBow GT4 and IDR are kinda lonely. I would so be down with tearing through the UK in an Autech GT-R SuperGT. 👍
I would love so much for the race cars to return, especially with some of the new additions we got in FM7, like the 991 RSR and the chonky big boi M8 :D

Hell, I’d like them to go even further by adding LMP cars like the R18 and 919, maybe even Indycars too! And ultimately the Renault F1 car, as unlikely as that is :lol:

So, the new cross country championship this week was rather interesting.

Forza Horizon 4 2019-10-06 3_56_23 PM.png

Like I said in FH3, a festival dedicated to cars that is large enough to shut down public roads would probably also attract some motorsport. I am all for the modern gt and touring cars being represented.

Not really. Horizon's template is the Gumball 3000.

From a gameplay standpoint I'm definitely not opposed to racecars, since many cars in the game already have racecar-like capabilities. My issue with them has to do with immersion. While it's easier to take a Mercedes 300 SLR or a Ford GT40 around the street, provided it's fitted with lamps and blinkers (GT40s in particular have been recreated as road cars for a long time now), I just can't see how anyone would realistically drive around in a Corvette C7R or a V8SC Holden Commodore. It's simply too inconvenient to consider for a road trip.

Since IMO Horizon is also about the lifestyle, modern racecars are a much lesser fit than their vintage counterparts. And this should also apply to RX cars, but then Horizon's (and Forza's) dirt machinery would be depleted, as Forza Motorsport currently has no locations to accomodate these...

Did any of you check out the control layout in FH4's option menu? It's been given a vast improvement to any previous Forza ever, even FM7. Basically you can select a number of new custom control layouts and change different commands on your controller now, like in any other racing game.

It's about time too. Thank you PG! 👍 You're next Turn 10. Do this for your next motorsport game.

I, for one, will love for PG to make a Lego themed month where we can obtain cars like those above. Too bad most people in the fanbase will just get sour about yet another pack of lego cars because "lEgO iS fOr KiDs" :rolleyes:

Plus Formula E is a thing in Forza too, so why not?

There's an FE RS200?
Uh...

Nope, they most likely just got the Hoonigan RS200 confused.
Guilty.

I'm also not a big fan of the modern race cars in Forza Horizon (I despised that pack of GT race cars in FH3). Returning to FH4, the reality of the matter is that all DLC has become free, and it shines through in some of the recent DLC choices. I have absolutely no doubt that FH4 was offered the Volkswagen I.D. R. without any licensing fee to be paid. It doesn't seem like anything more than a step in the post-dieselgate green propaganda. Someone please prove me wrong.
I'll admit, I can't. Nor can you prove you're right. It's all just conjecture. In all likelihood you're probably right, but none of us are on the inside of these negotiations, so we can't know for sure.

So, the new cross country championship this week was rather interesting.

View attachment 855792
Now imagine doing that in the Quartz Regalia Type-D like I did. Yes, the Y button got a workout.

Did any of you check out the control layout in FH4's option menu? It's been given a vast improvement to any previous Forza ever, even FM7. Basically you can select a number of new custom control layouts and change different commands on your controller now, like in any other racing game.

It's about time too. Thank you PG! 👍 You're next Turn 10. Do this for your next motorsport game.

T10 will obviously do it, since The Coalition did this for Gears 5. It's standard for every new Microsoft game now, to account for K/M support on the Xbox One.

The fact Playground went back and added it to FH4 deserves praise, though.

I, for one, will love for PG to make a Lego themed month where we can obtain cars like those above. Too bad most people in the fanbase will just get sour about yet another pack of lego cars because "lEgO iS fOr KiDs" :rolleyes:

Plus Formula E is a thing in Forza too, so why not?

We need at least 12 Legos, because that's how many cars a grid has.

And I'd be fine with it. Though the expansion isn't anything special, it's also grossly underrated. There's some nice routes in there.

Unfortunately, Lego is paid content and people would rage if an update was centered around them. Inexplicable, since paying customers got the short end of the stick in FH4, IMO.

T10 will obviously do it, since The Coalition did this for Gears 5. It's standard for every new Microsoft game now, to account for K/M support on the Xbox One.

The fact Playground went back and added it to FH4 deserves praise, though.
Nice!

Now if only T10 can add any of the features that are famous in FH4, like blueprints, custom championships and the shop busket for example. I'm hoping the next motorsport will feature these and T10 doesn't just skip on them like in FM7.

We need at least 12 Legos, because that's how many cars a grid has.

And I'd be fine with it. Though the expansion isn't anything special, it's also grossly underrated. There's some nice routes in there.

Unfortunately, Lego is paid content and people would rage if an update was centered around them. Inexplicable, since paying customers got the short end of the stick in FH4, IMO.
Which is a shame. :( I would love for PG to at least add them one by one, but that would be bad for most folk too I'm afraid.

Last edited:

It'd be great if it actually worked, there's no contextual mapping (eg. you have to reserve one button just to enter events and another just to open the map) and you are forced to map unnecessary buttons like the assistant. There's a new chat feature in there that seems unfinished, didn't work when I tried it, I think. You could only map it if you mapped no shift/clutch buttons at all to free up buttons... No keyboard/multi input support. More issues I forgot, it's a nice first step but not ready.

It'd be great if it actually worked, there's no contextual mapping (eg. you have to reserve one button just to enter events and another just to open the map) and you are forced to map unnecessary buttons like the assistant. There's a new chat feature in there that seems unfinished, didn't work when I tried it, I think. You could only map it if you mapped no shift/clutch buttons at all to free up buttons... No keyboard/multi input support. More issues I forgot, it's a nice first step but not ready.
Yeah I tried this when testing it out, and it's rather silly you need to every button command mapped. Also, I didn't know there was a new chat feature. Maybe it'll be functional in an update in the future? Who knows?

Back