Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (PC) Discussion

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 753 comments

Should it be "free to play" or buy to play

• Buy to play(like how it is on consoles)

Votes: 75 61.5%
  • "free to play"

Votes: 47 38.5%

• Total voters
Well, not too thrilled about this; knowing there is a better version out there on PC, but I get to play the watered down console version. Just like PCARS. Gaming PCs are expensive and not everybody's bag. Don't we get consoles to escape from that and enjoy the exclusives?

It may be great news for PC users but not us X1'ers. We'll know we're not playing the best version out there. It could hurt console sales too and drive more people to save up for a good gaming PC cos' many folks buy a console just for Forza or the exclusives.

Last edited:
I agree with you,Sir,if the PC version had been released first,I wouldn't have even bought an XB1.

Seriously..

What the heck is Spencer thinking? Does he want to drive people away from getting XBOnes?
Well I bought it for 5,and have since bought H2 and the NFS Reboot,along with 6 Ultimate,but yeah I have a gaming ready PC so it woulda suited me better.

I think releasing this game on PC would end the console war in Sony's favour as it'd help kill the Xbox. I don't think Sony would ever release Gran Turismo on PC.

I know I'd be downloading this on Steam the day the PC version came out.

I think releasing this game on PC would end the console war in Sony's favour as it'd help kill the Xbox. I don't think Sony would ever release Gran Turismo on PC.

I know I'd be downloading this on Steam the day the PC version came out
Far as I know, Steam aren't getting MS's business. Your first point is food for thought :)

Multi platform releases happen for all sorts of games. I really don't see the problem. There are plenty more people with an Xbox one than there are people with a PC capable of running Forza at a better level than the Xbone can. This is great news for people with a capable PC and a none issue for this without a decent PC or no PC at all.

I'll buy it on PC in a heart beat. The chance for improved res, fps, triple screens, all my sim gear working would be great. However, I would still not get rid of my Xbone version, far too many people I race with on there just to give it up. And I'd buy future releases on both platforms to ensure that I could race with all my friends on both versions.

I genuinely fear for Xbox if this happens. No way I'll be getting the money together for a gaming PC, so I'd be left with the inferior version or none at all if the Xbox One ends up like the Dreamcast.

Far as I know, Steam aren't getting MS's business. Your first point is food for thought :)
Oops yeah, ha ha.

VXR
I genuinely fear for Xbox if this happens. No way I'll be getting the money together for a gaming PC, so I'd be left with the inferior version or none at all if the Xbox One ends up like the Dreamcast.
Whether it kills Xbox or not it'd definitely kill my interest in Xbox.

VXR

Whether it kills Xbox or not it'd definitely kill my interest in Xbox.

Your left with the inferior version of lots of games at present but it didn't stop you buying an Xbone in the first place. And if they do bring out a version on PC you're no worse off than you are now, which before this announcement you were quite happy with. An improved PC version of the game doesn't suddenly mean the Xbone version drops in quality. It'll be exactly the same level of quality it was before this announcement which you were happy enough with to buy and play it. This changes absolutely nothing yet you talk about it being the death of Xbox!

Forza is the one franchise I gel with completely and currently it's only on the one platform. I don't care if better versions of other games exist on PC or PS4, that has always been the case with multi-platform games. Forza is the Xbox seller for me, so I don't want it to go to a platform that makes the version accessible to me the inferior product.

VXR
Forza is the one franchise I gel with completely and currently it's only on the one platform. I don't care if better versions of other games exist on PC or PS4, that has always been the case with multi-platform games. Forza is the Xbox seller for me, so I don't want it to go to a platform that makes the version accessible to me the inferior product.
It will always be the best it can be on the platform you choose. So pretend the other versions don't exist and you are no worse off than if it never happened. You have already said you 'won't be getting the money together for a gaming PC.' and the version on XBone will be as good as it can possibly be, so exactly how are you losing out? Seems like a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Complete none issue.

In the past 20 years, it has been exceedingly rare that PC ports of console games haven't been the best one (ditto games that started on the PC), even if the margins are slim. People happily bought the terrible Super Nintendo version of Doom instead of saving up to buy a PC. When the next console generation came around, they happily did the same for the game on the Saturn and PSX just a couple of months later. People didn't complain when Metal Gear Solid was ported to the PC in a form that was better in every way than the original PSX release. No one dropped their PSX to play Final Fantasy VII or VII on PC with their better graphics and (in the latter case) more features. Resident Evil had the only uncensored version available in North America on PC and supported graphics cards, but it was ignored compared to the version on PSX. No one seemed to put second thought to buying the crappy version of Quake 3 on the PS2 when it wasn't even the best console version. Electronic Arts put a phenomenal effort in getting Half Life 2 running on the original Xbox, but it was clear that it was drastically inferior to the real version. Even for games much more "important" to the gaming landscape than Forza 6 ever was, people didn't save up to buy PCs to play them and were content to instead play with what they got on consoles.

So other than the Nintendo fan-esque "I don't want them to be able to play it because we finally got a game no one else can play", where exactly is the issue?

Last edited:
Well of course it's an issue. I don't currently worry about resources being diverted from it to be put into another version. You can bet your balls to a barn dance that T10 themselves would be expected to take the PC version, so who'd get the Xbox version? PG? They don't take the project lead on the motorsport line, so that would be something of an unknow quantity.

In the past 20 years, it has been exceedingly rare that PC ports of console games haven't been the best one. People happily bought the terrible Super Nintendo version of Doom instead of saving up to buy a PC. When the next console generation came around, they happily did the same for the game on the Saturn and PSX. People didn't complain when Metal Gear Solid was ported to the PC in a form that was better in every way than the original PSX release. No one seemed to put second thought to buying the crappy version of Quake 3 on the PS2 when it wasn't even the best console version. Electronic Arts put a phenomenal effort in getting Half Life 2 running on the original Xbox, but it was clear that it was drastically inferior to the real version. Even for games much more "important" to the gaming landscape than Forza 6 ever was, people didn't save up to buy PCs to play them and were happy with what they got.

So other than the Nintendo fan-esque "I don't want them to be able to play it because we finally got a game no one else can play", where exactly is the issue?
No issue for me but it would definitely affect the number of future Forza games I personally would buy for Xbox by reducing them to zero. I don't play anything else on the console so I'd probably end up switching to PC permanently. Other people's mileage may vary but I don't think I'd end up running both versions.

VXR
Well of course it's an issue. I don't currently worry about resources being diverted from it to be put into another version. You can bet your balls to a barn dance that T10 themselves would be expected to take the PC version, so who'd get the Xbox version? PG? They don't take the project lead on the motorsport line, so that would be something of an unknow quantity.
You really think that they would mess with one of their best selling franchises on XBox to concentrate on the PC version that will not sell anywhere near as many copies on PC as it does on Xbox?

No issue for me but it would definitely affect the number of future Forza games I personally would buy for Xbox by reducing them to zero. I don't play anything else on the console so I'd probably end up switching to PC permanently. Other people's mileage may vary but I don't think I'd end up running both versions.

Yeah that will definitely happen for some people, but the number that switch to the PC version compared to those that continue to buy the xbox version will be a drop in the ocean.

I would be happy with this move, I don't have a current gen console yet and have always been a PlayStation owner. I don't want to buy an Xbox just for Forza and because Gran Turismo has been a big disappointment for the past few releases I would much rather build a new gaming PC and get the best of all worlds and still have the option to pick up PS4 later. MS does appear to becoming a one platform kinda company like Apple where all content will get some sort of cross play ability and that's good IMO.

I don't see any problem at all with Forza also going to the PC. Nothing wrong with multi-platform gaming. The more people that play the game, the more feedback they will receive to improve the Forza series. 👍

Last edited:
VXR
This isn't a realistic issue either. We're not talking about something like the upcoming port of the original Disgaea to the PC, where a small Japanese developer who almost exclusively releases stuff on the Playstation is porting stuff to PC so no one is sure how it will turn out.

Turn 10 is a top tier Western development studio exclusively releasing games for what is essentially a PC in a small box, owned and funded by the largest software development company in the world that happens to make the PC in a small box and its operating environment, and has hooks in nearly every other actual PC in the world for the same reason. Even more than that, we're talking about a port of a game that was already released 6 months ago. Even more than that, there is nothing to suggest that Microsoft couldn't just have Turn 10 continue business as usual and task one of their internal PC studios or the dozens of independent PC developers to port their x86 DirectX console game to an x86 DirectX PC, just like they did for the handful of games they ported to the PC from the original XBox. Even when the original Xbox was around Microsoft knew that the games were going to sell better on it than PC so they allocated resources accordingly. There's no reason to believe anything like the disaster Sony allowed to happen with GTPSP (which was supposed to just be a port of GT4 but ended up snowballing into a half decade delayed, stripped down joke that directly took away from the development of GT5) would happen with a port of any of Microsoft's first party games to the PC.

VXR
Difference is that an X1 costs £300 Vs my PC which cost £700 and you will struggle to build a system with the capability of an X1 in that budget in addition to the X1 being a hell of a lot more portable and more ergonomic to use.

The DreamCast went bust due to pirating which isn't a problem with the system in addition to the fact that Microsoft is so insanely rich compared to Sega at the time(also in terms of sales 9 Million Vs 18 Million (I laugh when fanboys cry about 'low' X1 sales figures)).

...No one dropped their PSX to play Final Fantasy VII or VIII on PC with their better graphics and (in the latter case) more features.
That was a very welcome alternative for me, as a N64 kid who loved the FF games. My family's PC wasn't even powerful enough to handle the game and the software synthesizer for the authentic PSX-sounding MIDI at the same time, so I have fond memories of the soundtrack rendered in Soundblaster FM synthesis.

VXR
The only danger for Xbox is if most of the current XB360/XBone users are like @UKMikey or me and only find a small handful of Xbox exclusives appealing, like Forza. But even if that was true, it's unlikely that millions of console users would switch to a gaming PC. I won't even do that; I'll just skip an Xbox and play today's Forza games in a few years when an inexpensive PC can handle them.

VXR

Exactly my sentiments.

Are they planning to pull this **** move with other exclusives too? Maybe they're going to merge Xbox and PC gaming altogether with PC being the main workhorse and Xbox being a casual and scaled back gaming alternative. Eeekh... conspiracy theories!

This will hurt Xbox sales for sure.. and perhaps that's exactly what MS wants. They probably realized they can't keep up with the PS4, so take the fight to the PC platform to dominate them all. Good business move, but it'll push Xbox far far back.

Not happy about this one bit.. saved up for an X1. Wish I had held out longer and gotten a PS4. Though time spent with the Xbone so far is well-spent. This "move" could be a pretty good indicator of where MS is going to stand in the gaming industry, and that's going to be cream of the crop, with or without Xbox. I don't think Sony will ever pull one like this on their fans.

to concentrate on the PC version that will not sell anywhere near as many copies on PC as it does on Xbox?
I wouldn't be too sure on the second part - e.g. pCARS' sales figures on the PC were relatively close to the ones on the X1. ;) (the X1 sold more, though, so you do have a point)
Obviously, if Microsoft does indeed decide to release the Forza franchise on the PC, they will probably have taken into consideration that they will trade selling more units of their console for entering a new, possibly bigger market. Their decision will mostly based be on their calculations and as a result, we may or may not see FM6 and possibly FH3 on PC. Keep in mind they have more data at hand than we do, so no matter what their decision will be, we might not be able to fully understand their motives. It's very hard to tell how well those games will sell, as sales numbers are very rare and the ones that can be found are sometimes far from being reliable. Nowadays, with all the digital methods of buying games, it is even harder to access such pieces of information.
One might try and approach this topic from a economical point of view, but doing the maths with estimates is only going to result in the same, so the theoretical outcome might not tell much about the reality.

Not to forget: Windows 10 might play a very significant role in this, as it is only free until late July (AFAIR), so MS might try to make those games a major selling point for their new OS. Especially gamers have been very hesitant when it comes to Win10, partly because of the security concerns, partly because of performance concerns, meaning Microsoft has an opportunity to cash in twice.

Apart from that, I doubt there is much to concentrate on for each platform since the consoles of this generation are (allegedly) very close to a gaming PC. The only problem that might arise is the performance optimization of the PC version, as they need to accommodate various hardware combinations, whereas the consoles have a fixed specification. They will probably employ a few more devs to form a dedicated "PC team" (at least that's my guess) that will take care of those "issues".

Hard to compare the two. PCars was developed, along with a community, on PC and hence had a decent PC following before release. Forza was born on Xbox and has a very large following as a result. I genuinely don't see this impacting Xbox in anyway. As I've already said, the most capable PC, in terms of gaming, that the vast majority of gamers will have in their house is an Xbox one or PS4. That's unlikely to change in the future due to the cost, space, etc requirements of an equivalent PC. There is a reason games like PCars and Asseto Corsa are coming to console and that's the same reason Forza will remain a staple of the Xbox platform.

Seriously..

What the heck is Spencer thinking? Does he want to drive people away from getting XBOnes?

No he wants to create a unilateral experience and not a walled garden. All this is is fear-mongering, nothing more. The Youtube videos, the Twitter comments, the petitions, all from people who can't see the forest for the trees.

He wants people to have options and this is a way to not only push Windows 10 more than Microsoft have already done themselves, it's an ideal way to bring the entire purpose and original intent of the Xbox full circle. Bringing Forza Motorsport or any exclusive isn't going to kill the platform, and if it does then guess what? It was likely going to be discontinued in the first place.

There is absolutely no reason to be up in arms about the potential death of the Xbox One, consoles, or whatever incredibly far-fetched idea is being passed around for the day. This will have a very minute effect, if it's to have any effect at all on the Xbox ecosystem because, as evidenced by Windows 10, that ecosystem includes the PC.

I don't think Sony will ever pull one like this on their fans.

If it makes any sort of financial sense, you better believe that Sony would turn PlayStation into a service. In fact they are already in the process of doing so, to a point. Look at their streaming service as one example, or how about how they are handling backwards compatibility. same as Nintendo, who are also preparing to branch out to other platforms, such as Android and IOS. You even have the likes of "playstation TV", which allows you to hook up a PS4 game pad and use the PS now service. As well is PS now also been usable on certain blu-ray players and TV's. So yeh, Sony very much are heading to the "service" route.

If you are thinking along the lines of anti-consumerism, then Sony have also been known to do far worse things that are considered anti-consumer than Microsoft have, but people always forget about that stuff and rag on Microsoft instead.

We have the rootkit scandal of 2006 with Sony music CD's, which was a massive one. Which not only allowed Sony backdoor access to your PC, but also 3rd party hackers. Then there is the fact they waited almost an entire month before telling people their credit card information was potentially stolen in the PSN hack.

As for if this will hurt the sales of the Xbox one, I highly doubt it. A lot of people just do not want the hassle with using a gaming PC, as @SlipZtrEm pointed out. Some people just want to buy one device, and not have to worry about system specs or anything else. And there is a major misconception about how much a decent gaming PC costs. Anything setup that costs between £500 and £800 will last a fairly long time before any upgrade need doing it it. Hell, for the £500 I spent on my system, I have a GTX780 in it. Which will last me a good while before I need to replace it. And I do not just game on my PC, I also do videos for youtube. I do digital art in photoshop, I dabble here an there with 3d work. PC's just allow you to do more, plus you have a lot of compatibility with gaming peripherals, such as racing wheels, fight sticks, joysticks, and game pads.

Personally I have always been a PC gamer over a console gamer, and the only reason I buy the xbox still, is for Forza. If Forza comes to PC, that will actually be a good thing. The PC racing community have been begging for a game like Forza and GT for years to just chill out with, and there is not one single game like it available. The biggest draw to PC gaming for myself, is the fact I can get the latest games that interest me much cheaper than I can on the Xbox or PS4. I got Fallout 4 for £25 on the day of release, same with GTA5. I got F1 2015 for around the same, and Farcry 4. The list goes on. This is why you barely ever see my playing any other games on my Xbox, baring Rockband 4, and occasionally black ops 3 (which I only play with my other half, as I own it on PC also), or the older rockbands or guitar hero games on my 360, which I still find fun to play. I very much prefer buy multiplats on the PC over the console. The savings on buying games on the PC are immense. Then you have the likes of humble bundle, and you can get a great many games exceptionally cheap. And at the same time can help out a few good causes.

So far I have gotten a "firaxis" developer bundle on there, borderlands bundle, an EA origin bundle 2 (was also gifted the Origin Bundle 1 by a friend), star wars bundle, humble jumbo bundle 3, and a Warner bros bundle. All have multiple games each, possibly talking about 50 to 60 games in total from humble bundles alone, and all for around £56.

Then there are steam sales, origin sales, and even Uplay sales. And online stores such as greenmangaming, who are very reputable and have some amazing offers all year around. Currently I can pre-order Farcry Primal on there for £26.

Last edited:
I can appreciate the focused effort going into exclusive titles, but I fundamentally dislike how exclusivity leaves no choice. I would still stick to the "inferior" console version as my experiences with PC gaming have been mostly frustrating. There's simply too much hassle to go through compared to consoles.

It's no secret that Xbox One sales have been slow and I can imagine Microsoft's internal studios, such as Turn 10, feel somewhat betrayed by the new console's power. It's probably no coincidence that the console version of Assetto Corsa promises higher technical specifications for the PS4 version. FM6 for Windows could enable Turn 10 to push forward in ways the Xbox One might not in terms of matching Turn 10's capabilities and ambitions. Development costs for a PC build are probably limited enough not to make it a gamble, so more copies sold is better for everyone. It was recently announced that FM6 had sold one million copies. Why not speed up sales with a PC version?

I can imagine that internal studios, such as Turn, feel somewhat betrayed by the new console's power.

Doubtful, in the case of T10 anyway. Dan Greenawalt stated multiple times before and after FM5 released that himself and other T10 high ups where at Xbox planning meetings. They had a hand in what we got, so I don't think they will feel as "betrayed" as you think they will.

Back