Forza Motorsport 7 Xbox One Review

Don't forget to revise the note after T10's backtrack. Extra free cars and the promise of +100% cash bonus for VIP arriving as soon as it's coded has removed all of the bad taste for us Ultimate Edition owners.

The benefits of the Ultimate Edition to cost-effectively access all that delicious season pass DLC in a car collecting game are definitely worth it in my opinion, VIP is a little extra on the side :D

Yep, it's on the to-do list. 👍

I agree, for me, the main bonus of the special editions is the season pass. The consumable VIP was a big issue... but the Ram XP exploit could arguably be a big selling point for some people. :lol:

GT and Forza are the two franchises I tend to go all completionist over — I haven't spent much time with the Hoonigan/F&F cars yet, but I'm guessing they'll be worth it (to me) in the end.

I find it funny that the new, revised Maple Valley (I forgot that this wasn't GT) has 2D trees, while the version of the track from 6 years ago, on last-gen hardware, holds up better.
did they forget shifting animations or something too?

The driver in Forza 7 can switch gears with his mind , so no shifting animations needed

Shifting animations are there; if you double downshift quickly though, it won’t register an animation oddly enough. It’s just hit or miss in terms of accuracy.

Which is kind of funny bc if I remember correctly, shift animations in FM4 (or maybe 3) were patched in.

Forza-Motorsport-7-Garage-RX-7-02-860x484.jpg

If you guys ever get a chance to go to Scotts Valley Ca, visit the Canepa facility (Cars and Coffee Canepa). This garage is only 1 portion of what the place has. Theres also a 2nd story and a bunch of cool ass cars of all makes make it to the meet.
The last meet of the year is next weekend (October 14th). Too bad I'm in Laguna Seca, would bring my Viper there.

@breyzipp The AI is pretty shoddy but I haven’t seen any rubber banding, even on Unbeatable. If you’re quick enough, you can run away from them fairly easily.

I think this may be part of the reason the AI is so dense at the moment. Once T10 adjusts them so Unbeatable becomes a real challenge, the AI will hopefully in return avoid playing bumper cars so they can actually run away from the player in return.

Clear evidence of rubberbanding

Clear evidence of rubberbanding

That’s not evidence, that’s the AI that was just passed flying up along the outside of a corner. The AI in F1/Grand Prix cars in also a bit wonky; some brake really early and some go really fast and cause mistakes.

Rubber banding is building a decent lead and the AI suddenly becoming faster and catching up before being left behind. I’ve played Unbeatable AI; they’ve never been able to catch me as soon as I build a lead on them. Only on certain tracks do they appear to be much faster and I have to put in my effort to catch the top cars. Those have actually been the most exciting and worthy of “Unbeatable” unlike most other races.

Ok maybe clear want the right work do use but this is my assumption. The drivatar got put off track by a previous event. And with the player in the race lead there is some catch up mechanic at play. The drivatar happens to have warp speed and total disregard for any other drivatars.

Ok maybe clear want the right work do use but this is my assumption. The drivatar got put off track by a previous event. And with the player in the race lead there is some catch up mechanic at play. The drivatar happens to have warp speed and total disregard for any other drivatars.
The driver didn't have warp speed, he just made an error and didn't slow down for the turn, shooting him outwards long the outerrim of the turn, flying past you. With how short a stopping distance, and how fast they can accelerate, it's an easy thing to happen.

I can't help but think "this is a GT website review of Forza" through most of the review.

I would like to ask, what game on Xbox has better graphics?
Also what game on PS4?

We wouldn't possibly be comparing Pcars on PC against FM7 on a base model Xbox one (not even an S with HDR) because that would be super biased.

Anyway, to get 4 stars in graphics "should" mean there's another game notably better.
On a comparable platform, which also doesn't mean GTS on a PS4 pro with HDR, vs FM7 on an old Xbox without HDR.

I get the semantics to not "count" PC or Xbox1x graphics, but as the game released I don't think anything on current consoles looks better.

If the best isn't 5 stars, what is?

Accusing the game of pushing microtransactions, that aren't even available yet, along with complaining the VIP expires, all while completely ignoring the fact that the "ultimate" bundle comes with more than just VIP?
(Finishing line says, don't buy the ultimate solely because VIP expires)

It just sounds like a review of a rival, through and through.

I can't help but think "this is a GT website review of Forza" through most of the review
Even though the staff is in no way linked to GT. The person who published the article is very much aForza fan, so the location should be irrelevant, no?

Anyway, to get 4 stars in graphics "should" mean there's another game notably better.
On a comparable platform, which also doesn't mean GTS on a PS4 pro with HDR, vs FM7 on an old Xbox without HDR.
I imagine it could be that while it does look amazing, some things have taken a step back. I for one notice paint not being as detailed and the shaders seem a bit backwards compared to the last two games.

Last edited:
I can't help but think "this is a GT website review of Forza" through most of the review.

This is a racing game / automotive website. While it started as a GT fansite, we now cover much more. A brief trip to the front page should make that clear.

I would like to ask, what game on Xbox has better graphics?
Also what game on PS4?

We wouldn't possibly be comparing Pcars on PC against FM7 on a base model Xbox one (not even an S with HDR) because that would be super biased.

I get the semantics to not "count" PC or Xbox1x graphics, but as the game released I don't think anything on current consoles looks better.

If the best isn't 5 stars, what is?

Here is how our review system works.

The reasons for comparing on base level hardware — something we did for PCARS2, and will be doing for GT Sport — are twofold. One, it's to level the playing field as much as possible. Two, it's still how the majority of players are likely to experience these games.

Accusing the game of pushing microtransactions, that aren't even available yet, along with complaining the VIP expires, all while completely ignoring the fact that the "ultimate" bundle comes with more than just VIP?
(Finishing line says, don't buy the ultimate solely because VIP expires)

Where is this accusation? There's a what-if scenario — located in the Verdict section no less, where it has no sway with the scores themselves. There's also a revised editor's note about the VIP scenario (which was actually updated before you made this post).

Yes, originally, it suggested skipping the Ultimate. When VIP was consumable, you could buy the base version of the game and the Car Pass, and save cash. And once it was found, the current Ram FE exploit could change the value equation for some people. As an avid Forza player and fan, I'm very aware of the benefits of the pricier special editions. In its launch form, the Ultimate Edition represented worse value, comparatively, than FM6's did.

It just sounds like a review of a rival, through and through.

That's because you're too concerned with assigning your own meaning to the words, instead of actually reading them. FM7 currently sits alongside F1 2017 as our two highest-rated reviews since the new system went into place.

Last edited:
This is a racing game / automotive website. While it started as a GT fansite, we now cover much more. A brief trip to the front page should make that clear.

Here is how our review system works.

The reasons for comparing on base level hardware — something we did for PCARS2, and will be doing for GT Sport — are twofold. One, it's to level the playing field as much as possible. Two, it's still how the majority of players are likely to experience these games.

Where is this accusation? There's a what-if scenario — located in the Verdict section no less, where it has no sway with the scores themselves. There's also a revised editor's note about the VIP scenario (which was actually updated before you made this post).

Yes, originally, it suggested skipping the Ultimate. When VIP was consumable, you could buy the base version of the game and the Car Pass, and save cash. And once it was found, the current Ram FE exploit could change the value equation for some people. As an avid Forza player and fan, I'm very aware of the benefits of the pricier special editions. In its launch form, the Ultimate Edition represented worse value, comparatively, than FM6's did.

That's because you're too concerned with assigning your own meaning to the words, instead of actually reading them. FM7 currently sits alongside F1 2017 as our two highest-rated reviews since the new system went into place.
Well, I'm not saying it was terrible, the review, it just seemed a little less than optimistic.
Granted it shared half-full and half-empty perspectives, as I personally think if this game came with a "GT" stamp, it might be being hyped as amazing, if only a little bit more.

You gotta know I didn't re-read the review, I just didn't type a comment for a day or two after reading it.
Also, 25x double credits and a couple mod packs, with some free hoonigans and FnF cars, isn't a bad deal all by itself for 10 bucks over the car pass and standard edition.(although aggrevating vip changed)
There's also the ZL1 "exploit" as VIP users all have that now too.
40% credits and 15k credits at Road Atlanta, 20k in 2 minutes is easy, and you can't run out of money for leveling up so easily.
("Exploit" is in quotation marks because it's really hard to call something deliberately placed in the game an exploit)(( another FE car gives 20k at Sonoma, can't recall which))

I still have the question of what game would get 5 stars, which doesn't mean FM7 should, it means something should. If nothing gets 5 stars, the "system" is impossible to please.

I know you're a Forza fan, so in greater detail, perhaps you held back just a bit to avoid being called biased for it? Maybe it's from being a Forza veteran, as those seem the most unhappy with the new title.
Or maybe I read into it wrong.

I think, despite some very aggrevating circumstances around the release, there's a lot being underrated.

It's not perfect, it has flaws, but I can't see any GT game ever created actually stacking up to it, except in the "for it's time" method.

That's just my own opinion, but as one of the former biggest GT fanboys on the planet, it's hard to convince myself I am biased for Forza in any way whatsoever.

P.S. I hated your complaint of understeer. I'm not sure how much you like, I thought it was a nearly perfect upgrade from tail-happy previous games.
Obviously that one is personal preference/opinion.

Last edited:
Not sure how else to put it except to say this is an Extremely generous review.

How do you figure? It's actually on par with most other reviews out right now. Metacritic has it sitting at an 87 over 59 reviews. We gave it a 4/5 which is 80% so we are actually lower than the current average.

And really we were fairly critical of things that sim racers care about, mainly the physics.

I'm just curious why you, along with others in this thread with the same line of thinking, say the review is generous?

How do you figure? It's actually on par with most other reviews out right now. Metacritic has it sitting at an 87 over 59 reviews. We gave it a 4/5 which is 80% so we are actually lower than the current average.

And really we were fairly critical of things that sim racers care about, mainly the physics.

I'm just curious why you, along with others in this thread with the same line of thinking, say the review is generous?
Having played it for much of the weekend, I just don't think it does anything to move itself, or racing games in general, forward enough. The game seems to be more about quantity than quality, and there is no stand out improvement that sets it apart from Forza 6. The inclusion of weather is welcome and it certainly looks nice. Overall in terms of graphics, its a pretty game, despite some inconsistencies. Between the feeling of generic handling characteristics across so many cars, and the inclusion of putting certain things behind a paywall, I feel like it is a mediocre product that could have been so much more. Even seeing the inclusion of pit crews in other racing titles this year makes me wonder if the devs couldn't have at least added a pit crew cut scene.

That's just my perspective though. I don't own an xbox one and admittedly my time with it was only about 11 hours in total. Maybe there's more to it that I have missed.

Don't forget to revise the note after T10's backtrack. Extra free cars and the promise of +100% cash bonus for VIP arriving as soon as it's coded has removed all of the bad taste for us Ultimate Edition owners.

The benefits of the Ultimate Edition to cost-effectively access all that delicious season pass DLC in a car collecting game are definitely worth it in my opinion, VIP is a little extra on the side :D

Remember that you will likely not get *all* DLC's. You get 6 car packs. There were a couple of (pricey) DLC's outside of that for FM6 and FH3, i fully expect FM7 to be the same in this.

Remember that you will likely not get *all* DLC's. You get 6 car packs. There were a couple of (pricey) DLC's outside of that for FM6 and FH3, i fully expect FM7 to be the same in this.
Thanks for the tip, but I'm very aware of that. I own the FH3 ultimate edition and expansion pass.

Having played it for much of the weekend, I just don't think it does anything to move itself, or racing games in general, forward enough. The game seems to be more about quantity than quality, and there is no stand out improvement that sets it apart from Forza 6. The inclusion of weather is welcome and it certainly looks nice. Overall in terms of graphics, its a pretty game, despite some inconsistencies. Between the feeling of generic handling characteristics across so many cars, and the inclusion of putting certain things behind a paywall, I feel like it is a mediocre product that could have been so much more. Even seeing the inclusion of pit crews in other racing titles this year makes me wonder if the devs couldn't have at least added a pit crew cut scene.

That's just my perspective though. I don't own an xbox one and admittedly my time with it was only about 11 hours in total. Maybe there's more to it that I have missed.
I would like to hear more about the "paywall".
The amount of people that just read inflamed comments and take them at face value is astounding.

There is literally NO PAYWALL.
It's completely fabricated in the minds of people who flipped donkey poop on release.

In FACT.... Most of the "complaints" on this site, about FM7 are either bogus, exaggerated, or completely untrue.

That's what makes me think "oh, a GT website review of Forza, sigh".
They actually mentioned things that don't even exist in the review, as speculation.

To include hyperbole speculation in a review, well....it is what it is, I guess.

Sums it up perfectly for me after playing the FM series for nearly 10 years. It has turned into a mediocre product since it hit Xbox One. The reviews from this and the two previous iterations of been really generous to say the least. After being let down by 5 and 6, I won't be buying into FM anymore.

Sums it up perfectly for me after playing the FM series for nearly 10 years. It has turned into a mediocre product since it hit Xbox One. The reviews from this and the two previous iterations of been really generous to say the least. After being let down by 5 and 6, I won't be buying into FM anymore.

I just don't understand this argument. call me a fanboy but to say that Forza hasn't done anything to change this generation is absolute nonsense.

In Forza 5 they delivered the largest launch racing title to ever release at the launch of a console, by far.(The first Gran Turismo on PS4 still isn't out.) With this came native 1080p and 60 fps locked.

In Forza 6 we got the first simulation racing game with 3d puddles with actual simulated hydro planning, open-wheel racers with simulated frame flex, even more cars on track, weather for the first time in a Forza title and still ran at a native 1080p and locked 60 fps.

In Forza 7 we have dynamic weather and time of day for the first time, crossplay with PC for the first time, completely revamped car collection system, completely revamped UI, first time launching on PC, way better racing wheel support, support for 4K, support for 21:9 monitors and more while still running at 1080p native and 60 fps on a stock Xbox One.

To say Forza hasn't brought quality this generation is non-sense when no other racing game has matched the performance or quality they've provided with the options and car selection variety on offer.

Forza has more than justified the review scores this generation.

I just don't understand this argument. call me a fanboy but to say that Forza hasn't done anything to change this generation is absolute nonsense.

In Forza 5 they delivered the largest launch racing title to ever release at the launch of a console, by far.(The first Gran Turismo on PS4 still isn't out.) With this came native 1080p and 60 fps locked.

In Forza 6 we got the first simulation racing game with 3d puddles with actual simulated hydro planning, open-wheel racers with simulated frame flex, even more cars on track, weather for the first time in a Forza title and still ran at a native 1080p and locked 60 fps.

In Forza 7 we have dynamic weather and time of day for the first time, crossplay with PC for the first time, completely revamped car collection system, completely revamped UI, first time launching on PC, way better racing wheel support, support for 4K, support for 21:9 monitors and more while still running at 1080p native and 60 fps on a stock Xbox One.

To say Forza hasn't brought quality this generation is non-sense when no other racing game has matched the performance or quality they've provided with the options and car selection variety on offer.

Forza has more than justified the review scores this generation.

Forza 5 was missing a lot of things that were very popular in FM4, mainly being clubs and user created lobbies. Sure it ran at 1080P and 60 FPS but literally everything was baked in to make it that smooth, it felt pretty sterile to say the least. Single player was horrible and the same could be said for multiplayer. It only sold a lot because it was pretty much the only big racing title on the new console at the time.

Forza 6 was more of the same with extra features. There was really nothing special about the weather system in that game either, it really was not that impressive. Sure it ran smooth but like FM5 everything is 'baked in'. Lobby chat didn't really work since day 1. Career was garbage again and multiplayer got slightly better wiht the introduction of leagues, but it was mostly still ****. The only saving grace for multiplayer to me was the Modern GT Lobby.

Forza 7, dynamic weather is nice and all but it's not on every track. PC launch is nice but I hear it's is currently a buggy POS on that platform (xbox too). A revamped car collection system is fine, but doing it with loot boxes is really laughable. Again most things are baked it so it runs smooth, you can't even adjust the FOV for camera views or anything. Graphics are arguably a little worse than it's predecessors. Then you got gimmicks like buying Ninja or clown costumes for your driver. If was like 12 or something I'd probably love this game, but that says it all really.

FM is nothing but a mediocre throw-away arcade racer. Don't even know why they keep Motorsport in the title since they don't seem to focus on the motorsport side that much.

Forza 5 was missing a lot of things that were very popular in FM4, mainly being clubs and user created lobbies. Sure it ran at 1080P and 60 FPS but literally everything was baked in to make it that smooth, it felt pretty sterile to say the least. Single player was horrible and the same could be said for multiplayer. It only sold a lot because it was pretty much the only big racing title on the new console at the time.

I'm not sure why the lighting being baked in matters at all in Forza 5, it didn't have a dynamic ToD or Weather or even night racing so having baked in lighting works perfectly fine for it; what an odd gripe.

Was it sterile? Sure but it was also a launch title for a new console and a lot of people were saying 1080p 60 fps was an impossibility before release, going far enough to call out Turn 10 saying it was BS before the game released.

Forza 6 was more of the same with extra features. There was really nothing special about the weather system in that game either, it really was not that impressive. Sure it ran smooth but like FM5 everything is 'baked in'. Lobby chat didn't really work since day 1. Career was garbage again and multiplayer got slightly better wiht the introduction of leagues, but it was mostly still ****. The only saving grace for multiplayer to me was the Modern GT Lobby.

Forza 6 had baked in lighting but not for all of the lighting, the light coming from headlights was dynamic in night racing.

There was nothing special in the weather system? How is being the first racing simulator to have 3d puddles and real hydroplaning not special?

You seem to be blowing off the importance of the performance and native resolution, no other game even to this day in this generation is managing a locked 60 with dynamic weather, dynamic ToD and 24 cars on track.

Forza 7, dynamic weather is nice and all but it's not on every track. PC launch is nice but I hear it's is currently a buggy POS on that platform (xbox too). A revamped car collection system is fine, but doing it with loot boxes is really laughable. Again most things are baked it so it runs smooth, you can't even adjust the FOV for camera views or anything. Graphics are arguably a little worse than it's predecessors. Then you got gimmicks like buying Ninja or clown costumes for your driver. If was like 12 or something I'd probably love this game, but that says it all really.

These gripes are really pathetic; are you really upset that they are offering some fun driver gear?

How are the graphics in Forza 7 worse? It's definitely the best looking FM.

I've seen a bug here or there but nothing insane or frequent.

FM is nothing but a mediocre throw-away arcade racer. Don't even know why they keep Motorsport in the title since they don't seem to focus on the motorsport side that much.

You just threw away any foot to stand on in this argument.

This is exactly why I can't take posts like yours seriously.

Fine don't take my post seriously, I don't really care. I'm speaking as someone who has played this series for a long time, and im certainly not the only one with these views. I can bring up tons of examples but it's just beating a dead horse at this point since it has been discussed endlessly on the FM forums.

FM is falling behind on the competition, I expect FM8 to be more of the same with more gimmicks. Maybe you'll be able to collect different dances for your driver to do in the menus?

Also, my gripe about weather not being at every track is pathetic? You really are a fan boy.

Last edited:
Fine don't take my post seriously, I don't really care. I'm speaking as someone who has played this series for a long time, and im certainly not the only one with these views. I can bring up tons of examples but it's just beating a dead horse at this point since it has been discussed endlessly on the FM forums.

FM is falling behind on the competition, I expect FM8 to be more of the same with more gimmicks. Maybe you'll be able to collect different dances for your driver to do in the menus?

Falling behind the competition?

Project Cars and Forza Motorsport aren't even technically in competition other than being a racing title for the same price on the same system; they just loosely occupy the same genre.

GT Sport is a shadow of it's former shelf with barely any tracks, cars, no upgrading and a full $60 price tag.

Project Cars offers a more serious racing experience with penalties, qualifying and a season career mode with different strict car leagues. Project cars has way better racing wheel support while Forza has way better controller support. Forza focuses on performance over options/features while PCars focuses on options/features over performance.

It doesn't offer upgrading on any of the cars, variety of vehicles or even close to the amount of vehicles of Forza Motorsport.

I don't see how that is leaving Forza Motorsport "behind".

Calling Forza Motorsport a mediocre arcade racer is absolute hogwash.

I don't see either PCars of FM leaving the other behind; I see two racing franchises in a similar sim genre offering two different styles of game.

Your gripe about weather isn't pathetic, your gripe about the driver gear is pathetic.

Last edited:
Back