found this curious video of keiichi tsuchiya on gts

• Thread starter alexnipi
  • 78 comments
Just FYI, the real car 1:07s lap time used in comparison was done on Amuse Step 3 Tune Toyota 86, the Amuse owned car, and when stock was lapping in high 1:10s range. Dori Dori-san did several time attack laps with each progression of tuning, from stock, step 1, step 2 and finally step 3 tuning. Step 1 is Grip/Tire, Step 2 Balance/Suspension, and Step 3 is Speed/Power+Weight. The snapshot in the latest 2018 video was the car in stock condition with factory tire, then when the video shows the best lap time 1:07.172, the car snapshot shown on track already has the Step 1 tune ( tire - bigger+wider+stickier ), along with Amuse Step 2 suspension upgrade, as well as Step 3 weight reduction and power upgrades.

GTS Toyota 86 spec is NOT the same as the 1:07s car IRL which have more power, less weight, better suspension and stickier tire, the girl ( Chochoblanka ) intentionally increase tire grip trying to compensate for the disparity and allow Dori Dori get close/match the lap of the real car he drove. GTS tire grip has also been reduced across the board compared to GT6. SH in GTS would be roughly similar to CS/CM in GT6.
I guess many were not ready for step down of tire grip in GTS.

The real car tire used on the lap also was not clearly listed in the video, the tire upgrade was part of step 1 Amuse tune, sticky Dunlop Direzza Z1 SS tire, wider and bigger at 255/35R18.

The tire used :
https://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tires/direzza-z1-starspec-tires

It has been discontinued, now what's available is : https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII+Star+Spec

"The Direzza ZII Star Spec is Dunlop's Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for serious sports car, sports coupe and performance sedan enthusiasts looking for race tire-like traction on the street or for use in autocross, drifting and track events."

The Step 1 alone is good for mid 1:08s lap time, more than 2s improvement.

The comparison was flawed from the beginning.

Last edited:
I felt really terrible watching DK struggle with the horrendous tire model. Watching him failing to correct even slightest oversteer is real pain. He literally could not drive the car as he would in the real life. Now, no one can say GTS is okay. He even needed the traction control to be turned on to "match" his lap time and also Racing Hard tyres.

I am pretty sure him and Kaz are friends as DK was also present at some race show playing GT Sport at the official booth and obviously all the things around Best Motoring. I wish they talked about DK's impressions of GT Sport. He should just join the development...

Good thing he was not trying to drift, that would look really stupid.

Haha. True story, sometimes u can wonder if pd actually trying to make this game similar too real life driving. I used to be a drifter, not any more, only racing. Cause of bad physics, dirt rally isnt to bad i guess..

I always had trouble correcting oversteer with a wheel in recent GT games. I don't have a PS4 compatible wheel for Sport, but it's good to see nothing has changed and even actual drifters can't wrap their heads around the physics.

the drift king comparing their real lap time with gts

I'll tell you right now... With a better setup he would have felt much more at home. That crappy Logitech stuff is garbage for a professional driver. Bare minimum he should have been using Fanatec gear. The pedals alone would have made a MAJOR difference to him!

I'll tell you right now... With a better setup he would have felt much more at home. That crappy Logitech stuff is garbage for a professional driver. Bare minimum he should have been using Fanatec gear. The pedals alone would have made a MAJOR difference to him!
That would have been like 20% worth of improvement... the core is wrong. The game physics.

There's no reason for him wearing the suit and gloves while playing the game right? :lol:

I'm guessing he's never played the game before. The gamergirl adjusts the tire settings for him right before he got the hang of it.
Bahaha I wear gloves while playing racing sims (I have his exact gloves except in green and a older version of his pair). The suit doesn't make sense but he has to I guess just so he can also do promo stuff for 'LOGICOOL G'.

Its painful to watch till one point where Tsuchiya-san wanna clutch kick to get Revs up for faster final corner turning, but then the CLUTCH is GRAN TURISMO IS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA That does sums up alot about ReaLism.

and that tyre model, slicks to mimick real life behavior tf

Don't forget there was the shifter on his side and he used the paddle shifters instead haha

Last edited:
Also I think the tv was not set in gaming mode. Looking at how much it takes for the in game wheel to match his movements. There is like 250 ms of delay at least. Around 5:40 I think it is.

It's cringy when a pro driver grabs the sim without putting in mind that some real tuning doesn't exist in the sim, so he have to make an artificial mimicking setup to feel closer to the real thing ( as stated by our mates here )
Come to think of it - obviously - we sim racers should never compare sim setups to the real thing since the car itself isn't an accurate representative of how the tuning behaves in real life.
Unless - they simulate the already tuned up car into the game to compare it ( ie - using a track team modified car or track tuned car )
If it was a completely stock car - that's the fastest way to compare the simulation & the real thing ( of course )
About TV delay @Ofuscor i fully agree with you since it heavily effects the driver's behavior.

If using GT6 GT86, a stock ( using real life weight/distribution/power ) one with CM tire can do similar lap time as bone stock Amuse 86, high 1:10s. Similar spec/upgrade applied on the GT6 GT86 to mimick Amuse 86 Step 3 ( stiffer suspension, LSD, power increase, weight reduction ) + fitting CS tire, 1:07s low is easily achievable at Tsukuba, SH tire in GT6 will be overkill for Step 3 spec and bring the car into 1:06s territory.

Tsuchiya-san should have been given GT6 instead GTS, but the video was obviously a marketing effort, hence GTS and Logitech :P I don't think they care about proper way of doing comparison.

About TV delay@Ofuscor i fully agree with you since it heavily effects the driver's behavior.

It is somewhat like drunk driving all your responses are delayed and it makes catching the back of the car almost imposible. You will also get mismatched FFB response for what you are seeing making it very confusing.

Anyone in this topic stating GTS is horrible to drift, is dead wrong imho.

Switch your sensitivity to 7/8/2, jump into a stock Shelby Cobra on CH tyres with all driving assists turned off (even abs if you like it), go to Suzuka east and prepare to catch your first oversteer moment.

0/5/5 is absolutely horrible for drifting in GTS. If DK-san had 7/8/2 as his sensitivity settings he wouldnt have had any problems catching oversteer, I’ve used these settings on the T500 in all previous GT titles. In GTS on the G29, T500 & T300.

ch tyres and 7/8/2 as sensitivity settings is what you need if you want to drift in GTS.

Don’t believe me? Go try it for yourself, you’ll instantly notice the immense difference as soon as oversteer kicks in.

8years of gran turismo drifting experience has taught me one thing: 7/8/2 is all you need in GT to feel/catch oversteer on any wheel in a RWD-car in GTS.

The following link is a replay of myself drifting a GR.4 Ferrari 458 with stock BHP on CH with 7/8/2 sensitivity settings - if I use the same car, identical car setup, with my very same g29, with 0/5/5 sensitivity settings I can not catch my car after I send it.

Switch your sensitivity to 7/8/2, jump into a stock Shelby Cobra on CH tyres with all driving assists turned off (even abs if you like it), go to Suzuka east and prepare to catch your first oversteer moment.

0/5/5 is absolutely horrible for drifting in GTS. If DK-san had 7/8/2 as his sensitivity settings he wouldnt have had any problems catching oversteer, I’ve used these settings on the T500 in all previous GT titles. In GTS on the G29, T500 & T300.

ch tyres and 7/8/2 as sensitivity settings is what you need if you want to drift in GTS.

Don’t believe me? Go try it for yourself, you’ll instantly notice the immense difference as soon as oversteer kicks in.

8years of gran turismo drifting experience has taught me one thing: 7/8/2 is all you need in GT to feel/catch oversteer on any wheel in a RWD-car in GTS.

The following link is a replay of myself drifting a GR.4 Ferrari 458 with stock BHP on CH with 7/8/2 sensitivity settings - if I use the same car, identical car setup, with my very same g29, with 0/5/5 sensitivity settings I can not catch my car after I send it.

Pardon me for this direct reply :
I've tried what you suggested since the GT6 days about sensitivity for the steering.
In GTS it helped but still having issues with oversteering characteristics, even after a long retries with different setups.
Also - about DK - don't forget that he was using a delayed TV ( or TV lag ) when driving since it delays his synchronization between real-time input & the TV delay of his response.
About your video - i can still see the exact problem that i have which is the forced drifting line due to game physics when you oversteer, especially when you begin drifting direction switch ( left to right or right to left ) which looks almost unreal compared to the real car behavior.
It looks almost like the car had regained grip IN THE MIDDLE OF DRIFTING while the TIRES ARE STILL HOT LOL before switching directions X)
Reminding - the example you showed us appears to be from a steering wheel - my problem is with the controller compared to the steering wheel, while i still see the same issues in physics between both controls.

Last edited:

If I understand this right, that's 7 controller sens, 8 FFB sens, 2 ffb torque?

@Amaru just wanted to point out that there is no difference in steering sensitivity when using a wheel so changing it from 0 to 7 made no difference. Max torque and the ffb sensitivity is making the difference.

I set it differently between cars. You want to feel it heavy enough that you feel the wheel losing weight when starting to slide but I use it for normal racing. Never been much of a drifter, I can do it though.

If I understand this right, that's 7 controller sens, 8 FFB sens, 2 ffb torque?

Correct.

Pardon me for this direct reply :
I've tried what you suggested since the GT6 days about sensitivity for the steering.
In GTS it helped but still having issues with oversteering characteristics, even after a long retries with different setups.
Also - about DK - don't forget that he was using a delayed TV ( or TV lag ) when driving since it delays his synchronization between real-time input & the TV delay of his response.
About your video - i can still see the exact problem that i have which is the forced drifting line due to game physics when you oversteer, especially when you begin drifting direction switch ( left to right or right to left ) which looks almost unreal compared to the real car behavior.
It looks almost like the car had regained grip IN THE MIDDLE OF DRIFTING while the TIRES ARE STILL HOT LOL before switching directions X)
Reminding - the example you showed us appears to be from a steering wheel - my problem is with the controller compared to the steering wheel, while i still see the same issues in physics between both controls.

Forced drifting line? Sorry mate but no. Drifting is all about angle and smoke for me personally. So I use Extreme front and rear camber so I can feel my car slide as much as possible - Front anti-roll bar 1 & rear anti-roll bar 6 make for an extremely oversteer happy 458.

Regaining grip mid-drift? Absolutely. That’s what I use my ebrake and my brakes for - to keep the friction going and to swap momentum. The line I took throughout that entire lap was exactly how I wanted my car to go.

@Amaru just wanted to point out that there is no difference in steering sensitivity when using a wheel so changing it from 0 to 7 made no difference. Max torque and the ffb sensitivity is making the difference.

I set it differently between cars. You want to feel it heavy enough that you feel the wheel losing weight when starting to slide but I use it for normal racing. Never been much of a drifter, I can do it though.

8 years of drifting in GT had taught me quite the opposite, 7 on steering sensitivity is absolutely vital/essential. I will not go into a debate on this (again), I’ve done so enough times already on GTP, and every time -over and over again- I do feel it making a difference on my wheels characteristics. On all 3 of them.

0/8/2 FEELS different as 7/8/2 imho (besides on the TGT & fanatic).

So whenever someone asks me for drifting advice in GT, I always offer my full settings (FFB) and car-settings (that setup on the 458 can be found in the drift tuning thread) - it’s not a setup for tandems as the camber&gearbox are set up too destroy the tyres and create a maximum amount of smoke.

Last edited:
Forced drifting line? Sorry mate but no. Drifting is all about angle and smoke for me personally. So I use Extreme front and rear camber so I can feel my car slide as much as possible - Front anti-roll bar 1 & rear anti-roll bar 6 make for an extremely oversteer happy 458.

Regaining grip mid-drift? Absolutely. That’s what I use my ebrake and my brakes for - to keep the friction going and to swap momentum. The line I took throughout that entire lap was exactly how I wanted my car to go.
I don't use 458 mind you.
The once i drifted are FRs.
I almost change every single setup in order to match my style of drifting.
I change Weight for center gravity which effects oversteer & understeed characteristics - selecting a certain HP synching it to gears ratios & LSD setups.
I synchronize Anti-Roll bars based on the previous setups with also toe angles - suspension compression & extension - suspension frequency for the perfect formula when initiating almost all drifting styles in almost all speeds, gears, and courses as i used to do in GT5 & GT6.
But GTS tends to mismatch me in many ways when i'm trying to apply my old formula which is unacceptable.
I'm afraid my way of explanation wasn't clear in the way i intended to about regaining grip.
Allow me to rephrase it again.
The way the physics behaves when switching directions is inaccurate.
You're telling me that braking in the middle of drifting will help to regain grip ?
I wonder what real experts will say about this.
EVEN Keichi Tsuchiya ( from Drift Bible ) doesn't use brakes to regain grip - he uses brakes to slow down.
He regains grip by leaving the throttle not by using brakes, and E-brakes helps to slide.
I've followed his instructions for improving my techniques and managed to make over 70 drifting cars with my old formula back in GT5.
GT6 had started to make things bad then comes GTS - the worst new GT when it comes to drifting.
I'm barely making successful full lap drifting with the best lines in every corner in Tsukuba.
I used to drift a full lap in Grand Valley back in GT5 with over 700HP mustang with almost no mistake.
Also used to drift with one of my mates on the whole nurburgring nordschleife back in GT5 days.
In GTS - i can't even cut the first half of Tsukuba without having problems with the car behavior after 100s of retries.
GTS needs to improve it's drifting physics.
I won't be satisfied until i can apply my old formula on most cars & being able to drift most cars on different situations & circuits like ( for example) drifting on nurburgring nordschleife.

Last edited:
I change Weight for center gravity which effects oversteer & understeed characteristics - selecting a certain HP synching it to gears ratios & LSD setups.
I synchronize Anti-Roll bars based on the previous setups with also toe angles - suspension compression & extension - suspension frequency for the perfect formula when initiating almost all drifting styles in almost all speeds, gears, and courses as i used to do in GT5 & GT6.
But GTS tends to mismatch me in many ways when i'm trying to apply my old formula which is unacceptable.
I'm afraid my way of explanation wasn't clear in the way i intended to about regaining grip.
You're telling me that braking in the middle of drifting will help to regain grip ?
EVEN Keichi Tsuchiya ( from Drift Bible ) doesn't use brakes to regain grip - he uses brakes to slow down.
He regains grip by leaving the throttle not by using brakes, and E-brakes helps to slide.
I've followed his instructions for improving my techniques and managed to make over 70 drifting cars with my old formula back in GT5.
GT6 had started to make things bad then comes GTS - the worst new GT when it comes to drifting.
I'm barely making successful full lap drifting with the best lines in every corner in Tsukuba.
I used to drift a full lap in Grand Valley back in GT5 with over 700HP mustang with almost no mistake.
Also used to drift with one of my mates on the whole nurburgring nordschleife back in GT5 days.
In GTS - i can't even cut the first half of Tsukuba without having problems with the car behavior after 100s of retries.
I won't be satisfied until i can apply my old formula on most cars & being able to drift most cars on different situations & circuits like ( for example) drifting on nurburgring nordschleife.
Drifting nowadays rely on raised height now, nearly zero rear camber and some 'crazy' amount of front camber (I hear Naoki Nakamura runs -7 to -5 but most drift cars go -5.5 or lower) with crazy steering angle kits (to avoid spinning out of course). I never really like drifting in GT besides GT5 for doing somewhat easy braking drifts and ease of controllable oversteer + drifting techniques nowadays are mostly clutch kick, feints/Scandinavian flicks and old school handbrake because all the stuff in Drift Bible is like 90's stuff and it's very outdated in my opinion (I always watched Katsuhiro Ueo and Yasuyuki Kazama). But yeah, GTS physics are on a odd side and there's a good reason why I stuck with rFactor, LFS and AC after I was done with GT6.

Drifting nowadays rely on raised height now, nearly zero rear camber and some 'crazy' amount of front camber (I hear Naoki Nakamura runs -7 to -5 but most drift cars go -5.5 or lower) with crazy steering angle kits (to avoid spinning out of course). I never really like drifting in GT besides GT5 for doing somewhat easy braking drifts and ease of controllable oversteer + drifting techniques nowadays are mostly clutch kick, feints/Scandinavian flicks and old school handbrake because all the stuff in Drift Bible is like 90's stuff and it's very outdated in my opinion (I always watched Katsuhiro Ueo and Yasuyuki Kazama). But yeah, GTS physics are on a odd side and there's a good reason why I stuck with rFactor, LFS and AC after I was done with GT6.
Time changes us when applying our driving styles on the track X)
At least the ancient basics still holds water when it comes on understanding the car behavior on a certain circumstances X)
But like they says :
People are entitled to their opinions.
Sometimes - opinions are what helps us to find a new paths between our conversations :)
About "raised height" that's strange, because i thought lowering ride height will help to keep the car body stable since the suspension will be forced to have a limited travel between compression & extension when cornering since increasing height will have a very negative effect on flat roads when attempting to make aggressive cornering because the car high height will cause the suspensions to bounce the car around due to the extended limit of long travel between suspensions X)

8 years of drifting in GT had taught me quite the opposite, 7 on steering sensitivity is absolutely vital/essential. I will not go into a debate on this (again),

I tried yesterday a bit the difference between -2 and 7 sensitivity steering. With your other settings. Couldn't tell the difference on my g29. I don't know how it can be essential if I can't feel not even the tiniest difference between extreme oposites. Seems more like placebo effect you think it does therefore it does. Wonder what would happen if someone were to change your steering sensitivity without you knowing.

So, having 8 years of experience makes you right by default? I am not getting into this experience bragging. It is nonesense.

There are things extremely wrong with gt sport tyre model, specially at low speeds regaining/lossing grip.

About "raised height" that's strange, because i thought lowering ride height will help to keep the car body stable since the suspension will be forced to have a limited travel between compression & extension when cornering since increasing height will have a very negative effect on flat roads when attempting to make aggressive cornering because the car high height will cause the suspensions to bounce the car around due to the extended limit of long travel between suspensions X)
Haha if you see current machines in D1GP, they all look like SUVs now, especially Ueo's VR38 powered S15 which has 20"s tires. According to Noriyaro, he said that they raise their height slightly higher than stock because there's more movement, squat and control. Most likely because the course layouts they use in D1 are very high-speed focus rather than the older days.

Haha if you see current machines in D1GP, they all look like SUVs now, especially Ueo's VR38 powered S15 which has 20"s tires. According to Noriyaro, he said that they raise their height slightly higher than stock because there's more movement, squat and control. Most likely because the course layouts they use in D1 are very high-speed focus rather than the older days.
So having more movement on the car body makes it better to drift ?
I think there's something i'm not getting here.
Let me guess :
They want more body movement to cause the car to automatically initiate drifting by causing a huge pressure on the tires when cutting corners hard to cause an aggressive weight shifting ?
Isn't that dangerous on the tires even more than normally ?

@TakumiFuji01 :
"Most likely because the course layouts they use in D1 are very high-speed focus rather than the older days."

So they want to get rid of the slow response from the cars weight shifting at higher speeds by raising height ?
Isn't that more dangerous on the tires due to the sudden weight shiftings ( like i said before ) ?

Last edited:
So having more movement on the car body makes it better to drift ?
I think there's something i'm not getting here.
Let me guess :
They want more body movement to cause the car to automatically initiate drifting by causing a huge pressure on the tires when cutting corners hard to cause an aggressive weight shifting ?
Isn't that dangerous on the tires even more than normally ?

@TakumiFuji01 :
"Most likely because the course layouts they use in D1 are very high-speed focus rather than the older days."

So they want to get rid of the slow response from the cars weight shifting at higher speeds by raising height ?
Isn't that more dangerous on the tires due to the sudden weight shiftings ( like i said before ) ?
They raise it to have more squat but not roll. The tire pressure also plays a big figure with these setups. Even it was dangerous for the tire, it won't matter in comp because they go through tires after runs they do. Raised height also allows the squat to provide more forward grip and rear tire grip on hard acceleration.

I understand that they change tires from time to time, but a certain amount of pressure by throttle on that way could cause a sudden early tires explosion.
Honestly - who am i to complain ? X)
If they attempt this new experiment which is less safe for the sake of better performance - it's their choice in the end.

I like how you set up your cars for drifting, but:

- “EVEN Keichi Tsuchiya ( from Drift Bible ) doesn't use brakes to regain grip - he uses brakes to slow down.”

Do you even realise that by pressing/tapping your brake, your car & wheels slow down and your tyres grip more (spin less) of the surface, so yes, one does get more grip by braking when needed. Tsuchiya would agree on this without a doubt.

Cool to see you can drift the nordschleife - it’s by far my most drifted track since GT5...

I try to drift cars with factory settings around the nordschleife if their bhp is above 400, if factory settings don’t work, I pretty much use the same method of tuning that you described but I do prefer to drift them while they’re stock - my favorite drift car being the RR yellowbird. I miss that car a lot in GTS.

I tried yesterday a bit the difference between -2 and 7 sensitivity steering. With your other settings. Couldn't tell the difference on my g29. I don't know how it can be essential if I can't feel not even the tiniest difference between extreme oposites. Seems more like placebo effect you think it does therefore it does. Wonder what would happen if someone were to change your steering sensitivity without you knowing.

So, having 8 years of experience makes you right by default? I am not getting into this experience bragging. It is nonesense.

There are things extremely wrong with gt sport tyre model, specially at low speeds regaining/lossing grip.

Stop projecting dude. I know what I feel & im not here to brag about anything, I’m here to share my own experience and help others where possible - why did you think I shared the ”7/8/2” thing and shared my 458 setup to someone who was asking for a GR.4 458 setup in the drifting-tuning thread...

Here’s another example of the 7 controller sensitivity influencing wheels while you think it doesnt: couple days ago we had daily race C - de la Sarthe gr1: while pushing the R18 to the limit with 7/7/2 as ffb settings I was able to catch oversteer-moments in for example the Porsche curves on worn tyres, I raced again with 0/7/2 and was not able to counter/catch my car in the same Porsche-curves when the same oversteer kicked in. Sensitivity 7 solved this issues imo.

You are correct about the tyres tho, they are not what they used to be in previous titles.

Edit: removed some typos

Last edited:
Oof... :scared: :lol:

Actually, it would be nice if PD did sort of "time attack challenge" in Sport mode where player try to beat pro drivers lap times and compete with other players online for fastest lap times in monthly basis, thus this event does not related to FIA Championships in any kind. It is simply just an average monthly rankings. The challenge would feature random pro drivers in monthly cycle. For example, this month featured DK/Keiichi Tsuchiya set a target lap time in Tsukuba using GT86 , then next month will feature another pro driver in certain tracks and car then so on. Entrance will be limited that you were given a chance to enter in few days or week. Afterwards you can't participate. Then for anyone who finally beat the target lap times and get to the first rank at the end of the month will get a prize car and lots of credits. That also applied to second and third but the prize car were instead replaced with another items such as special livery/decal, rims or even racing suit. Other rank below will usually get a prize as thank you gift for participating but usually not as big as the higher rank. Maybe paint chips, some credits or mileage points.

Those were just my thoughts by the way. Guess Sport mode would be more interesting if there is such event.
I've always wanted something like this since GT3. I figured PD could use one of their R&D testers to lay down fastest laps. Something for us to try to beat.
I believe other games do this today.

When GT5 had the GT-R Nordschleife challenge, I thought there would be more, real life/in-game challenges, in the future games.

I've always wanted something like this since GT3. I figured PD could use one of their R&D testers to lay down fastest laps. Something for us to try to beat.
I believe other games do this today.

When GT5 had the GT-R Nordschleife challenge, I thought there would be more, real life/in-game challenges, in the future games.

Yes other games did this, whether it is racing games or other genre. Played enough online games and I have noticed there is always limited time campaign or special event to gain more rewards and prizes in monthly basis. Basically, PD could improve their Sport mode experience with such events.

Back