Four By Four, Monsters, and Off-road.

• Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 863 comments
That old Explorer doesn't really look like a prerunner since it has a solid axle in the front, it has a good long travel kit on it though. I'd guess they do more rock crawling with it instead of bombing through the desert at some absurd speed.

35359344691_1d751e746d_b.jpg

@Turbo I'd say they get an okay amount of recognition from off-roading communities. Land Rover likes to show off Disco's on those cross country trips quite often. (At least I think it's "often")

On the other hand, I almost never hear about the Touareg or Cayenne twins. I'll be honest, when they first came out, I was intrigued by VW and Porsche doing some off road capable vehicles. Especially with the equipment they put in them.
f594d88ccdb6c8f0ea0f14a97e0e540e.jpg

0a973ef0ca6ff246abe2b95667beb20b.jpg

There's a couple guys on one of the overlanding forums I'm apart of that has a built up Cayenne. It's ridiculous and awesome at the same time.

There's a couple guys on one of the overlanding forums I'm apart of that has a built up Cayenne. It's ridiculous and awesome at the same time.

How are they reliability wise? I'd assume that's one of the reasons why people avoid them alongside expensive parts replacements and possibly not too much aftermarket support. I've always been intrigued by them and would find it interesting to see them with aftermarket bumpers.

Seems to be one example I was able to find:
attachment.php

On the other hand, I almost never hear about the Touareg or Cayenne twins. I'll be honest, when they first came out, I was intrigued by VW and Porsche doing some off road capable vehicles. Especially with the equipment they put in them.

I finally remembered to save some of the pictures regarding the off-road Cayenne rigs.

ER1Ml2A.jpg

2KMgZU3.jpg

gTqsVcc.jpg

uxTGodb.jpg

That Legacy looks weird with those tires if it's meant to be an off-roader. Plus barely been looking at some muddy pics here so, I need to show these more often.

Not one here, but found a nice Forester dirty.
bb569ea18eee9c42f1bb5239ac5b518e.jpg

Ya those looks like the OEM street tires on that Legacy. I feel like the lift is more for looks than function.

That Tracker looks kind of cool though, it'd be a fun little vehicle to take out to the dunes. Although I'm not really sure what Alaska terrain is like other than intense.

I absolutely love those photos! The Cement paint is pretty much my ideal color on the TRD Pro. How does it compare to the Hilux for you?
Always good having a professional photographer around!

No idea how it compares to the Hilux, as I've never driven one. To be honest the TRD was pretty rudimentary by the standards of other SUV-type things I've driven and felt pretty slow and lumbering most of the time, but equally by SUV standards it has loads of character and it was great driving something designed to be used for the kind of stuff I used it for, rather than something likely to spend its entire life on paved roads.

Love these overland build rigs.

I've always been a fan of Land Cruisers, though I've preferred the 100 Series over the 80 Series even though LC80s are the last ones with a solid front axle and factory triple locked. Anything before that is too old for me, at least the ones sold in the US.

Either way, I didn't get one because I really don't need that big of a car.

--

There's a few Cayennes out there off-roading. One in the NW here was used for the Alcan rally.

Wasn't entirely sure which thread to post this in. But I'm in love with the special Cavalry Blue TRD Pro 4Runner that showed up at my new job. :drool: (Working at a Toyota/Lexus dealership now)
26170388_10215590372131765_9100935102490292286_o.jpg

Last edited:
Man I haven't seen a blue Pro yet. It seems like everyone buys it in that Sandstone color.

Man I haven't seen a blue Pro yet. It seems like everyone buys it in that Sandstone color.

It's wonderful in person. I believe Toyota changes the colors every year, with 2015 being Inferno Orange, 2016 with Quicksand, 2017 with Cement, and finally 2018 with Cavalry Blue.

Latest Posts

Back