Four By Four, Monsters, and Off-road.

• Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 853 comments
Off-road W140. How Russian.

99d96a7a-mercedes-s-class-off-road-4.jpg

557cb6ce-mercedes-s-class-off-road-5.jpg

ed66fb7d-mercedes-s-class-off-road-8.jpg

In a world where everything off road related has to be milspec (custom grimacing Jeep grills with lots of exposed fasteners) and driven by operators (presumably doing very serious things), I give you in contrast, Steve Mcqueen, having a charmed jovial time in a beige Jeep.

a234523fb3ce6f6a3bdf471045755447.jpg

tumblr_pe371efiMe1uyd0qr_500.jpg

In a world where everything off road related has to be milspec (custom grimacing Jeep grills with lots of exposed fasteners) and driven by operators (presumably doing very serious things), I give you in contrast, Steve Mcqueen, having a charmed jovial time in a beige Jeep.

a234523fb3ce6f6a3bdf471045755447.jpg

tumblr_pe371efiMe1uyd0qr_500.jpg

My dad had a CJ5

I think my favorite off roader of all time is the 2nd-gen, post-facelift Mitsubishi Pajero SWB. The Pajero I is a little too clumsy looking, and the Pajero III is a little too...gratuitous looking. The II is just right..

5dda90a7a2418_0_big.jpg

of course the Evolution model is near perfect
mitsubishi-pajero-evolution.jpg

I've noticed them starting to appear on the west coast...particularly in 2.5 turbo diesel form. That would be smog exempt here in CA....

I wonder what tires were installed on that Plymouth. It looks comfortable to drive on any terrain. My dad is currently looking for off-road tires to install on his Toyota Tacoma. I'm checking some spammer site for mud tires that I could recommend to him. I also have to search for build references so he could have an idea of what it will look like.

They're BFGoodrich T/A KOs, they were replaced by the KO2s and I think the KO3s are either our or coming out really soon. For a Tacoma, the standard go-to tire is the BFG KO2 and it's what I ran on my Tacoma for a couple of years. When I went up to 33s, I opted for the Goodyear Duratracs, mostly because they were on sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1997 Wildcat was the first Bowler that could be registered as a new car (previous ones were used units of Land Rover with modifications).

The company currently offers 4 equipment variants of the vehicle - Wildcat 200, Wildcat 200 European Baja, Wildcat 200 Rally Raid and the top-of-the-line Wildcat 200 Dakar. Although from the outside they do not differ much, under the body they hide different technical solutions and equipment elements. The base version has a specification fully corresponding to the regulations of British off-road rallies, while the Dakar variant has everything necessary for an off-road classic - including GPS, fuel tanks enlarged to 372 liters and a water supply for the competitors. The large number of different types of vents attracts attention. Openings in the front belt and on the bonnet allow the two engine oil coolers and the shock absorbers to effectively reduce the temperature. A strongly flattened air intake above the windscreen directs the air flow to the engine radiator located in the rear part of the body.

The Wildcat is offered with 3 engines . The weakest of them is a 5-cylinder turbodiesel with 208 hp. Thanks to them Bowler accelerates to "100" in only 6.5 seconds, and the acceleration stops at 170 km/h. If this is not enough for you, you can try the variant with a 3-liter V6 with 231 hp, used in sports. For the needs of exceptionally demanding customers prepared V8 engine with a capacity of 5 liters. A herd of 290 hp and a short-ratio gearbox guarantee a truly racing experience - the first 100 km/h appears on the meter after 4.8 seconds (in off-road car !) The top speed is 200 km/h.

The optional equipment is a steering system with a reduced ratio, thanks to which the vehicle can be driven even on winding parts of the route without making too many intensive steering movements.

Bowler Wild Cat | Top Gear - YouTube

AETV88205252_1.jpg

657857.jpg

14602593.jpg

AETV88205252_10.jpg

the-best-off-roader-bowler-wildcat-24881.jpg

AETV88205252_3.jpg

Back