Four Hours: The Nürburgring 4Hr Companion & Competition

• Thread starter Famine
  • 989 comments
After the unfortunate beating that I received from the hands of the sneaky-fast Fairlady Z Z-tune (see post # 899 above), I decide to try again against a slower grid with a better handling car that even I can't mess-up too badly (I hope).

So I'm off to the new dealerships, and I buy a nice new NISMO 380RS Super Leggera (White Pearl).

My ever-helpful pit-crew adjusts the spec's on my NISMO Super Leggera, so I end up with the following:

Horsepower 369
Weight: 1390 (added 20kg of ballast)
PP value: 504
Wing: 10/20 (the minimum)
P.Limiter: 98.1%
Tires: SS (used throughout the race)
No skid

I'm going to race against an alternative Sunday Cup lineup # 9, which has the following:
---------------------------------------------------------
1) Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GTR
2) Option Stream Z '04
3) AEM S2000
4) BNR34 Skyline GTR Vspec
5) RUF CTR2 '96
6) NISMO 400R '96
7) GTsail in the NISMO Super Leggera
8) Amuse Gran Turismo 350Z RS
9) High End Performance G37
10) ISF Racing Concept '08
11) NISMO Skyline GTR R-tune '99
12) NISMO Skyline GTR S-tune '00

The flag drops and we're off!

I again coast for a bit off the start line to let the field stream past me. I always like to give a wave to each car as I pass them.:)

I follow the field into turn # 1, and immediatly pass the 11th place Gran Turismo 350Z RS going thru turn # 2, and then I pass the 10th place NISMO Skyline GTR S-tune going thru turn # 4. Up next is the 9th place NISMO Skyline R-tune, who I pass going thru turn # 6. I then pass both the 8th place High End G37 and the 7th place NISMO 400R as we exit Flugplatz.

Much later, I pass the 6th place RUF CTR2 as we go thru the Kleine-Karussell. The RUF immediately drafts back past me as we start down the Dottinger straight. At the end of the lap, I'm 4.5 seconds behind the race leader after a 9.24.8xx lap.

Its hard to believe, but the Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GTR is still in first place with the Option Stream Z right on his rear-bumper.

On lap # 2, I pass the 6th place ISF Racing Concept as we exit the Hocheichen esses. I then pass the 5th place AEM S2000 as we go thru Metzgesfeld. Up next is the 4th place Mine's BNR34 Skyline Vspec, who I pass as we go thru Breidscheid. I then pass the 3rd place Option Stream Z as we go thru Hohe Acht. The 2nd place RUF CTR2 is right behind the race leading Gran Turismo Skyline when we get to Galgenkopf, so I get a great draft off both leading car's as we accelerate down Dottinger. At the end of lap # 2, I'm 2.4 seconds behind the race leading RUF CTR2 and about 2 seconds behind the 2nd place Gran Turismo Skyline GTR. Lap # 2 took me 9.08.9xx.

On lap # 3, I pass the 2nd place Gran Turismo Skyline GTR as we go thru Hatzenbach. At the end of lap # 3, I see that I'm a full 8 seconds behind the race leading RUF CTR2 after a decent 9.04.7xx lap.

At the end of lap # 4, I'm only 6 seconds behind the race leading RUF CTR2 after a 9.03.3xx lap. Looking back, I see that the ISF Racing Concept enters the pits from either 2nd or 3rd place, so he falls off the leaderboard, since most of the other cars don't pit.

On lap # 5, I catch and pass the race leading RUF CTR2 as we brake for Schwalbenschwanz. The RUF has slowed down somewhat due to his worn tires. The RUF drafts back past me just before the Antoniusbuche overpass. The RUF pits from first place as the end of lap # 5, so I take over the race lead when I continue on and begin lap # 6. Lap # 5 took me 9.08.5xx. My tires still have about 55% left on their tire bars, and I have about 45 liters of fuel in the tank, so I will continue on.

At the second checkpoint on lap # 6, I see that I have a 50 second lead over the 2nd place ISF Racing Concept. The AEM S2000 is shown in 3rd place and the RUF CTR2 has fallen back into 4th place. At the end of lap # 6, my tires are still in good shape so I continue on. Lap # 6 took me 9.15.8xx, which is a bit slow due to my tires getting worn.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 7, I see that I have a 31 second lead over the ISF Racing Concept. By the end of lap # 7, my tires are down to about 30%, so I pit for a new set of SS tires and ask my pit crew for 62 liters of fuel since I have used about 77 liters during my first 7 laps. Lap # 7 took me 9.16.5xx.

While I'm in the pits, the ISF Racing Concept and the RUF CTR2 drive past and drop me back into 3rd place in the race.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 8, I see that I have fallen 43 seconds behind the race leading ISF Racing Concept. Time for a break....

At the end of lap # 8, I get the news that I'm 41 seconds behind the race leading ISF Racing Concept, who has just pitted from first place. Lap # 8 took 9.58.8xx.

I begin lap # 9, and chase off after the RUF CTR2 who has climbed up into first place. At the first checkpoint on lap # 9, I get the news that I am 35 seconds behind the race leading RUF CTR2. At the end of lap # 9, I'm 31 seconds behind the race leading RUF CTR2 after a lap record of 9.00.223. The 3rd place ISF Racing Concept is about 10 seconds behind me and has started to really gain on me.:nervous:

At the end of lap # 10, I get the news that I'm only 20 seconds behind the race leading RUF CTR2 who has driven into the pits. Lap # 10 took me 9.00.6xx.

I continue on and begin lap # 11 and take over the race lead. I'm now about 2 seconds in front of the fast closing ISF Racing Concept. I push my Super Leggera pretty hard during lap # 11, in an effort to keep my lead, so by the beginning of the Dottinger straight, I have pulled out to a 5 second lead. At the end of lap # 11, I see that I have a 1.6 second lead over the ISF Racing Concep after a 9.01.1xx lap. True to form, the ISF Concept is about 3 seconds faster than me down the Dottinger straight.

When we get to Dottinger straight on lap # 12, I see that I've been able to eek out a 4 second lead over the ISF Racing Concept. The ISF Concept pits at the end of lap # 12, so when I begin lap # 13, I have a 4 second lead over him after a 9.04.6xx lap.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 13, I see that I have a 29 second lead over the RUF CTR2, who is now the 2nd place car. At the end of lap # 13, I see that I have a 24 second lead over the RUF CTR2 after a 9.08.0xx lap.

My tires are starting to feel old, so I'll need to pit at the end of lap # 14. At the end of the lap, I enter the pits and ask for another set of SS tires and for 80 liters of fuel since I've used about 80 liters of fuel during the last 7 laps. Lap # 14 took 9.12.6xx.

After 19 seconds in the pits, the RUF CTR2 drives past and takes over the race lead. After another 31 seconds, the ISF Racing Concept drives past and takes over 2nd place.

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 15, I see that I've fallen 49 seconds behind the race leading RUF CTR2. The AEM S2000 is about 15 seconds behind me in 4th place. Time for a break....

At the end of lap # 15, I'm 39 seconds behind the race leading RUF CTR2 who has entered the pits again. Lap # 15 took me 10.06.1xx.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 16, I see that I'm 40 seconds behind the race leading ISF Racing Concept. At the end of lap # 16, I see that I'm 34 seconds behind the ISF Concept who has just re-entered the pits. Lap # 16 took me 9.01.4xx.

As I begin lap # 17, I take over first place in the race again.:) At the first checkpoint on lap # 17, I see that I have a 19 second lead over the 2nd place ISF Racing Concept, who had a quicker pit-stop than I would have liked.:nervous: The RUF CTR2 is still just behind the ISF Concept.

When I begin lap # 18, I see that I have an 11 second lead over the 2nd place ISF Racing Concept after a 9.03.9xx lap.

When I begin lap # 19, I see that I have a 6 second lead over the 2nd place ISF Concept after a new lap record of 8.59.9xx:) I was pushing my Super Leggera hard for the entire lap, just to keep as much margin as possible.

When I begin lap # 20, I see that I have a 3 second lead over the 2nd place ISF Racing Concept after a 9.02.2xx lap. We have both just passed the 12th place car, who is in the pits. Its probably the NISMO 400R. The ISF Racing Concept catches me as we accelerate down the Dottinger straight. I only make one move.:sly: The ISF Concept is still behind me when he enters the pits at the end of the lap. Lap # 20 took me 9.05.6xx, which shows that my tires are starting to show their age.

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 21, I see that I have stretched out my lead to 57 seconds over the 2nd place ISF Racing Concept. The AEM S2000 is now being shown as the 3rd place car, while the RUF CTR2 has fallen down into 4th place.

I have a 43 second lead over the ISF Racing Concept when I pit at the end of lap # 21 for another set of SS tires and for 70 liters of fuel. Lap # 21 took me 9.14.4xx. Time for a break.....

After 40 seconds, the ISF Racing Concept drives past and takes over the lead of the race. Just as I'm getting released from the pits, another car enters the pits behind me. It might be the 3rd place AEM S2000. This gets confirmed when the RUF CTR2 drives past and takes over 3rd place in the race (and the AEM S2000 gets shown in 4th place).

The RUF CTR2 is now about 10 seconds behind me. At the first checkpoint on lap # 22, I see that I have fallen 24 seconds behind the race leading ISF Racing Concept. At the end of lap # 22, I get the news that I'm now 27 seconds behind the race leading ISF Concept after a 10.00.5xx lap. The 3rd place RUF CTR2 is about 7 seconds behind me.

The race clock says that there's 36 minutes and 36 seconds remaining in the race before the 4 hour mark.

On lap # 23, the RUF CTR2 is about 2 seconds behind me when I begin the drive down the Dottinger straight. The RUF reaches my rear-bumper as I bear-left for the kink going under the Antoniusbuche overpass. Lap # 23 takes 9.07.3xx.

Just as I begin lap # 24, the RUF CTR2 accelerates past me with ease, going up the S/F straight. The race leading ISF Concept is already some 36 seconds further up the track.

I out-brake and re-pass the RUF CTR2 going into turn one on lap # 24. A bit later on lap # 24, I catch and pass the 11th place Amuse Gran Turismo 350Z RS. At the end of lap # 24, I get the news that I'm 35 seconds behind the ISF Racing Concept, who has stopped in the pits again. Lap # 24 took me 9.04.7xx.

When I begin lap # 25, I take over the race lead again.:) The 3rd place RUF CTR2 is about 3 seconds behind me. At the first checkpoint on lap # 25, I see that I have a 2.3 second lead over the RUF CTR2, who is now in 2nd place of course. At the end of lap # 25, the 2nd place RUF CTR2 pits again, which allows me to gap the field a bit. Lap # 25 took me 9.01.1xx.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 26, I see that I have an 11.5 second lead over the ISF Racing Concept. At the end of lap # 26, I have a 4.8 second lead over the 2nd place ISF Racing Concept after a decent 9.03.3xx lap.

This is not much of a gap.:nervous:

There are on 20 seconds left before the 4 hour mark when I begin lap # 27. I could have won the race by slowing down by 16 seconds:sly: and letting the ISF Racing Concept continue on for another useless lap. But instead I continue on for lap # 27.

Lap # 27 is extremely tense, since I have to push my Super Leggera to the limit. I've got a 3.5 second gap when I begin the blast down the Dottinger straight. The ISF Concept starts to shrink my margin at an alarming rate as we go down Dottinger.:scared: After a decent 9.03.5xx lap, I cross the Finish line with the ISF Racing Concept stuck to my rear-bumper, and take the Win!:)

I had to swerve twice during the drive up the S/F straight in order to keep the ISF Concept behind me.

My winning margin was 0.107!!!

Total race time was 4 hours, 8 minutes, and 44 seconds.

Finishing Order (ranked on time):
---------------
1) GTsail in the Super Leggera
2) ISF Racing Concept-------0.107 secs back---(pits every 4 laps)(BL 8.53.7)
3) AEM S2000---------------42 seconds back---(pits every 5/6 laps)(BL 8.55.2)
4) RUF CTR2----------------1min, 12 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 8.54.8)
5) BNR34 Skyline------------2min, 52 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 8.59.3)
6) NISMO Sky R-tune--------5min, 9 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 9.03.7)
7) High End G37-------------7min, 15 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 9.08.5)
8) NISMO Sky S-tune--------8min, 2 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 9.11.3)
9) Nissan GT Skyline GTR-----8min, 28 secs back-(pits every 5 laps)(BL 9.12.1)
10) Option Stream Z---------8min, 33 secs back-(pits every 4 laps)(BL 9.12.7)
11) Gran Turismo 350Z-------1 lap down---------(pits every 6 laps)(BL 9.24.0)
12) NISMO 400R-------------1 lap down---------(pits every 6 laps)(BL 9.28.7)

Post race notes:
----------------
The NISMO 380RS is a pleasure to drive. Even though I was driving with sport soft tires, they feel one-grade better, so the Super Leggera almost never got away from me under heavy-braking or in the difficult turns. However, at this low-level of PPV tune, the Super Leggera feels a bit sluggish against the other cars down the straights. I could have used another 20-25 horsepower, which would have made the race easy.

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Ok, had a day of leave and decided to do a 2.08 test...

Car: 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II DTM '92 stock standard with about 75-80kms on the odometer... 532PP (530PP at 0.0km?)

Used a RS front, RM rear with a 5 lap pit strategy (for the first 25 laps, then changed to RS's front & back for last stint.

Quickest lap was on lap 22 with 8:14.336 including a AI 'balk'...

I cycled through about 12 fields to get the two rabbits... Audi R8 LMS & S2000 GT1 Turbo...

I was in control most of the race really... even though my 1st stint was 'rusty'... 5 laps with RS/RM on the car meant that fronts were nearly shot at end of 5th, but the RM's still had 33--40%ish. RS's front and back would probably only just run 4 laps... (but this was the strategy of the Audi & S2000 too...), unsure to what ultimately would be the quickest strategy... as 4 laps would have the 6th stop on lap 24... whereas 5 lap has the 5th on lap 25... alot of saving in time there alone...

All three of us crossed to start 28th lap before 4hrs were up, I was about 3mins 10secs up on them at start of 28th lap, and extended a little on last lap, my third of the RS's last stint, to about 3mins 25---30secs

Best lap of the Audi R8 LMS was 8:26.013, S2000 GT1 Turbo was 8:28.511.

As I suspected the 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II DTM '92 was too much car, as always though lovely to drive...

Car ended on 532PP, replay saved if anyone needs some more info...

NISMO Super Leggera... My winning margin was 0.107!!!

Finishing Order (ranked on time):
---------------
1) GTsail in the Super Leggera
2) ISF Racing Concept-------0.107 secs back---(pits every 4 laps)(BL 8.53.7)
3) AEM S2000---------------42 seconds back---(pits every 5/6 laps)(BL 8.55.2)
4) RUF CTR2----------------1min, 12 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 8.54.8)
5) BNR34 Skyline------------2min, 52 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 8.59.3)
6) NISMO Sky R-tune--------5min, 9 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 9.03.7)
7) High End G37-------------7min, 15 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 9.08.5)
8) NISMO Sky S-tune--------8min, 2 secs back--(pits every 5 laps)(BL 9.11.3)
9) Nissan GT Skyline GTR-----8min, 28 secs back-(pits every 5 laps)(BL 9.12.1)
10) Option Stream Z---------8min, 33 secs back-(pits every 4 laps)(BL 9.12.7)
11) Gran Turismo 350Z-------1 lap down---------(pits every 6 laps)(BL 9.24.0)
12) NISMO 400R-------------1 lap down---------(pits every 6 laps)(BL 9.28.7)

Great run GTsail290. Do you think it could have been an easier win if you'd gone for a 6-lap pit strategy (laps 6/12/18/24) giving you slightly stronger in-lap times and good tyres for the entirety of the last stint?

My recent experiences with v2.08 at other endurance races has shown that pit stops are beating trying to stretch the tyres out every time.

@HaylRayzor - thanks for the info. 👍

Might be my imagination, but if you take a car with less PP then most of the AI, the complete field of AI cars gets a bit adjusted to that.

Great run GTsail290. Do you think it could have been an easier win if you'd gone for a 6-lap pit strategy (laps 6/12/18/24) giving you slightly stronger in-lap times and good tyres for the entirety of the last stint?

Thanks! Driving the Super Leggera is actually very easy, so the race actually wasn't very hard. The ending margin was certainly close though!:nervous:

Yeah, it might be better to go with a four stopper, with pits on laps 6/12/18/24 instead. My tires were a bit worn-out by the seventh lap. My Super Leggera was pretty gentle on its tires, so I felt that my 3-stop strategy, with pit-stops on laps 7/14/21 was better, however the wait for 70-80 liters of fuel during the pit-stops is interminable!

See you on the track!
GTsail

Last edited:
Crowood
Might be my imagination, but if you take a car with less PP then most of the AI, the complete field of AI cars gets a bit adjusted to that.

Unfortunately the grids/lineups are premade and changed when the race is entered again from the main screen or other races/seasonals are started first. It's always the same lineups.

The GT-R Pace Car is just a bit too slow I guess, did a test lap and stock on RH's I managed a 9:19 lap fairly comfortable, but that is not going to cut it I guess...

Will look a bit longer for an enjoyable car, since I do not want to race an overpowered beast here, but actually have a good 4 hours since I like the Ring way better compared to Tsukuba for instance... :P

That's something I've been asking for since the beginning. Adjustable AI PP and tires.

Wow, that S2000 GT1 drives fast, even way faster now than the times in the OP.

I put in an 8:42 in my second lap (Lexus Weds Sports IS350 'stock' on RH) and still it put another 15 seconds to his advantage, so lapping around 8:27 when in the lead, damn...

Got my gear settings slightly wrong with the Lexus, but still, I was beating the other opposition quite easily. So might cycle the startinglist until both rabbits aren't in it, since I feel more for racing 11 other cars instead of just 1 or 2...

Wow, that S2000 GT1 drives fast, even way faster now than the times in the OP.

I put in an 8:42 in my second lap (Lexus Weds Sports IS350 'stock' on RH) and still it put another 15 seconds to his advantage, so lapping around 8:27 when in the lead, damn...

Got my gear settings slightly wrong with the Lexus, but still, I was beating the other opposition quite easily. So might cycle the startinglist until both rabbits aren't in it, since I feel more for racing 11 other cars instead of just 1 or 2...

The GT1 Turbo has been fast-lapping around 8:30 all along. Keep in mind the times in the OP are average lap times for the 4 hour event, including laps on worn tires and pit stops.

I cycled until I got a grid without them, since I wanted to use the stock Weds Sports (511 PP, 280 max. gear, lowest possible wing rear, racing hards) and it was my first try at this race so I would like a win. :D

Car drives like a dream, really easy to handle and I could drive away quite easily actually. But the strange thing is, my tyres are not the limiting factor! After reading alot in this topic I expected them to last 4, maybe 5 laps, but they must have really changed the tyrewear-characteristics since I could easily do stints of 9 (!) laps on my RH's and then had to stop for fuel.

I'm nog two-thirds into the race (2:39:42 gone) and just pitted for the second time and can do a two-stopper and exactly finish on around 4 hours as it seems. Have about a 4,5 minute lead over the other cars right before the pitstop and did these laptimes:

1: 8:56.878
2: 8:49.564
3: 8:47.238
4: 8:50.932
5: 8:51.537
6: 8:50.996
7: 8:50.869
8: 8:50.816
9: 8:49.826 (pit-in)
10: 10:00.119 (outlap)
11: 8:40.929
12: 8:41.117
13: 8:42.415
14: 8:46.694
15: 8:47.110
16: 8:46.103
17: 8:47.765
18: 8:49.561 (pit-in)

Have suspended the race now, can only complete it after the weekend. But pretty stable lap-times, managed to find a few seconds in the car in my second stint, but still are driving well within limits, not cutting corners or anything at sections. :D And most importantly, really really enjoying the race up till now!

Well, I just finished my first attempt at the Nurburgring 4 Hour race. I chose a Holden Monaro and modified it with a full weight reduction, adjustable gearing and suspension, and gave it a wing, some volk te37's and 500hp through the stock exhaust system. I geared it to pull about 298km/h down the Dottinger Hohe, and set the handling up so that it rode the kerbs and bumps beautifully, with the setup aimed at mild-understeer. With it's relatively long wheelbase, predictable rear-end, great traction and tractable engine, it was an absolute joy to drive. It was docile, yet fast and balanced through the high speed sweepers, predictable out of low-speed hairpins on the GP circuit and up near the Karussel, and was capable of probably a bit better than the 8:30.900 I managed on racing mediums, but in my defence I was trying to maximise tyre life. Which, on the RM tyres was about 4 laps, and on the RH was about 5 laps, depending on how much abuse you gave them on the outlap. I did 27 laps in all, sandbagging like crazy on the last lap to avoid crossing the line and heading into a 28th, as I had a 7 minute lead over the S2000 GT1 in second place, but my tyres were getting a bit sad after 45 minutes' driving.

Right, thinking of trying more enduro's (not done any A-Spec one's past Grand Valley race.) ... what car would you recommend for the Nurb 4 hrs?

I'm not quickest driver, I would like to be pretty assured of a win, but I don't want to jump in an X1 or FGT or LMP car, I still want a decent car... anyone got idea's?

A race-modified Lotus Elise 111R ought to be a sure win, and still be rewarding to drive.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Right, thinking of trying more enduro's (not done any A-Spec one's past Grand Valley race.) ... what car would you recommend for the Nurb 4 hrs?

I'm not quickest driver, I would like to be pretty assured of a win, but I don't want to jump in an X1 or FGT or LMP car, I still want a decent car... anyone got idea's?

1st, put racing soft tires on the car of your choice
2nd, any car with 400+ HP and up to 1700kg should be an easy and relaxed win

(any super GT car would be a walk in the park for example)

I don't want a Super GT500, or Racing soft. I was thinking RH and RM tyres on this:

GT5_DLC_Nissan_GT-R_N24_2.jpg

GT5 and I haven't been in love lately - and I've been spending a crapload of my time on GTPEDIA instead of this thread - but I'm going to ease back into it with some N4 (and GV300) racing. Hopefully I'll have the time to update post 1 with every relevant bit of info while I'm at it.

Well .....the Toyota FT-86 Concept '09 seems to be a popular choice for a low-PP race.
I have attempted it several times now, on each occasion increasing the PP a bit. Last time it was 466 PP, all possible aids applied and Racing Soft, but they WILL squeeze past me at some point and then they are off. Not even 3 pitstops to their 5 is any help, as this leaves the opposition too many unblocked laps.
There's a lot of fun in this, but for the life of me I cannot see how it can be done. Ah well, 'tis for me to figure out.

Well .....the Toyota FT-86 Concept '09 seems to be a popular choice for a low-PP race.
I have attempted it several times now, on each occasion increasing the PP a bit. Last time it was 466 PP, all possible aids applied and Racing Soft, but they WILL squeeze past me at some point and then they are off. Not even 3 pitstops to their 5 is any help, as this leaves the opposition too many unblocked laps.
There's a lot of fun in this, but for the life of me I cannot see how it can be done. Ah well, 'tis for me to figure out.

Those PP values that were set long ago may not exactly equate to today. I don't know. But there have been several changes in the physics of the game since then. Please post your race report, as it will be valuable new data. The 4 hour race at the Nurburgring is a terrific way to gain the experience necessary for big improvements in lap times! Keep going! 👍

Respectfully,
Steve

The Toyota FT-86 Concept '09, 477 PP, Racing Soft, lots of driver aids including Skid Recovery. Active Steering set to "mild".

The first oppo set-up of the cycle.

Lap 1. 9:06.1 - I pushed hard inside of them in the first right 180 and got the Audi and the S2000 as well by shoving them aside most brutally. I do not consider shunts, shoves and pushing aside to be crashes as such :-). I continued to push hard and entered the long straight sufficiently ahead that the opposition despite their superior top speed did not catch up with me. I had practised quite a bit before the race and was in top form.

Lap 2. 8:53.6

Lap 3. 8:55.8

Lap 4. 8:57.9 - Tyres were slowly degrading and the oppos were no longer in my mirror. Accordingly lap times increased.

Lap 5. 8:59.3 - I was in front by 23 seconds. Almost the entire pack pitstopped.

Lap 6. 9:13.9 - My tyres had seriously degraded on this lap towards my first pit stop. I slowed down, but still managed a sudden 360 entering the Hohe Acht, although I luckily avoided a crash into the barrier. I suspended the game as it had become late in the evening.

Lap 7 and day 2. 9:27.9 - Only a splash of fuel and I was out again in no time. But I had become rusty. A few checkpoints into the lap I was a mere 22 seconds in fronts. I braked too late or too early, entered turns and corners not quite how I wanted.

lap 8. 9:0.1 Problems continued. 13 seconds in front by the end of the lap.

And then the final lap 9. Speeding towards the Aremberg corner, at the Schwedenkreuz, there's that nasty slightly outward-sloping long and fast shallow corner. It has fooled me so often and it did it again: I didn't remember to brake that tiniest bit of a fraction, was thrown off the track and slammed hard into the barrier. End Of Race.

I'll have another go at it.

The Toyota FT-86 Concept '09, 477 PP, Racing Soft, lots of driver aids including Skid Recovery. Active Steering set to "mild".
The first oppo set-up of the cycle.

Lap 1. 9:06.1
Lap 2. 8:53.6
Lap 3. 8:55.8
Lap 4. 8:57.9 - Tyres were slowly degrading
Lap 5. 8:59.3 - I was in front by 23 seconds. Almost the entire pack pitstopped.
Lap 6. 9:13.9 - My tyres had seriously degraded
Lap 7 and day 2. 9:27.9 - Only a splash of fuel

And then the final lap 9. Schwedenkreuz, hard into the barrier. End Of Race.
I'll have another go at it.

A promising beginning to what will become an excellent report, von Stiefel! 👍

My humble critique of what you've done so far would be to pit a lap earlier at the end of lap 5. You should be able to resume very near the lead on fresh tires, and soon be in front again.

A few questions:
- Which of your tires were degrading the most?
- Are you happy with the handling of your setup?
- Are you using the driving line?

Respectfully,
Steve

A promising beginning to what will become an excellent report, von Stiefel! 👍

My humble critique of what you've done so far would be to pit a lap earlier at the end of lap 5. You should be able to resume very near the lead on fresh tires, and soon be in front again.

A few questions:
- Which of your tires were degrading the most?
- Are you happy with the handling of your setup?
- Are you using the driving line?

Respectfully,
Steve

Thanks. Tyre wear ...was somewhat evenly divided as far as I can remember. I'll take more notice of it next time.

My setup was to my almost complete satisfaction. I had softened the suspension so as to make it soak up more in the corners, but there's no doubt more micro-management to be done. I had tested the car quite thoroughly but at some point we have to make do with what we have and adapt ourselves and not the car.

No driving line. By now I'm fully aware of what's waiting for me around the next corner. I have won the 4 H Nürburgring several times already in far more powerful cars (and the Caterham), but this is the first race after the latest updates.

477 PP seem to be a little more than needed. On the other hand 466 PP gave me troubles. I'll adjust that for my next attempt .....at least the fixed wing frees us from worrying about the downforce.

Toyota FT-86 Concept '09 - 274 BHP - 890 kg - 473 PP.
Racing Soft. All driver aids except ATC and Driving Line. Active Steering set to "Mild".
First race of the cycle.
Pit stops every five laps.

Lap 1 9:06.1 - The first turn I pushed them all aside with never an excuse me.
Lap 2 8:57.5 - Then several laps ...well, actually almost the entire race with the S2000 GT1 '04 in and out of the mirror, blocking-blocking-blocking.
Lap 3 8:57.9
Lap 4 9:05.0 - I twice lost the rear end but managed to stay in front.
Lap 5 9:07.4 - A mix of somewhat degraded tyres and concentrating on keeping an eye on the S2000, who wasn't too fast either.
Lap 6 9:29.7 - Splash of fuel (46 liters consumed) and the pack left behind (except for one 6-lap car who was of no consequence and not mentioned after this).
Lap 7 9:06.0
Lap 8 9:01.7 - The S2000 caught up with me again 2-3 minutes into the lap and we were back to blocking.
Lap 9 9:04.2
Lap 10 9:03.7
Lap 11 9:38.1 - A little more than a splash of fuel. 23 secs in front by the first checkpoint.
Lap 12 8:57.9 - S2000 soon caught up with me.
Lap 13 9:04.7 - Merely a half-bad lap.
Lap 14 9:14.3 - I spun out and was overtaken by the S2000 half way through. Nothing damaged except my pride.
Lap 15 9:02.1 - Raced like mad to catch up with the S2000, but pushed perhaps a little too hard and tyres weren't tops. Didn't catch him.
Lap 16 9:28.9 - Pit stop. I had the luck that I had put in somewhat more fuel on the previous pit stop than was strictly necessary, and this time I was last in and first out. First check point I was in front by 16 seconds.
Lap 17 9:02.7
Lap 18 8:57.0 - Lapped the 1st car.
Lap 19 8:59.9
Lap 20 9:12.0 - The usual mix of degraded tyres, keeping an eye on the S2000 and excessive care.
Lap 21 10:06.4 ....erm ....by mistake I put in the total amount of 93 liters instead of the intended 46 liters ...I was overtaken in the pit lane. Got back on 1st spot later during the lap.
Lap 22 8:56.3 - Despite this being a very fast lap I was overtaken and had to push hard to get back on top spot before the long straight.
Lap 23 8:57.1 - While all this had been going on the Fairlady ZZ-tune had slowly edged closer and closer, and after I sent the S2000 into the barrier up the long straight the Fairlady got into 2nd spot.
Lap 24 9:02.8 - Blocking!!!
Lap 25 9:04.8
Lap 26 9:20.4 - New Tyres only and out in no time. The Fairlady and the S2000 both took on a full load of fuel (very silly!). The S2000 regained 2nd spot in the pit lane.
Lap 27 9:00.6 - I was way out in front, by around 45 seconds when 4 hours had gone at 1 minute 55 secs into the lap..
Lap 28 S/F and the end. I won by 35 seconds or so.

Great fun! Tyre wear after 5 laps was evenly distributed, with a fraction more wear on the rear tyres. Tyres were good for 6 laps but not recommended.

Last edited:
Good report and good racing, von Stiefel. What was your PL value?

With any luck, Famine will update post #1 and you will have earned a coveted spot on the leaderboard. 👍

Will you run N4 again?

Respectfully,
Steve

I had hoped it would take me from level 39 to 40 - this is one of three profiles, and I regularly delete the old ones when levels get too far beyond 40 - but even the 200% bonus wasn't quite enough. Not that I intend to set my sights on the 24 H Nürburgring for the time being: the drudgery of the recent 24 H le Mans is not easily forgotten, and the 4 hour race here is without any doubt whatsoever the most interesting, the selection of cars being enormous and the scenery so very pretty.
I am testing a Honda of 465 PP now ....should be a fun one. The noises from it perhaps promise more than the actual speed experienced, but it certainly gets the old adrenaline flowing.

Honda CR-Z TC - 200 BHP - 910 kg - 464 PP.
Racing Soft tyres.

ATC, Driving Line and ASM all "off". Active Steering "mild". Skid Recovery ( yes ....I know ..) "on". ABS "10".

Main opposition were the "BNR 34 Skyline" and the "CTR2 '96", both of 5 laps between pit stops, the three-lap "Yellow Bird" and the four-lap "IS F Racing". Meaning that whenever I thought I had shaken one off, one other or several suddenly popped up in my mirror instead.

Lap 1 9:07.5 - There was no way I could get the pack in that first 180 corner but it was job done within a few minutes. From then on it was block-block-block.
Lap 2 9:03.4 - Down the long straight I judged it to perfection, let the "CTR2" almost pass me before I nudged him into the grass, he swerved back right into the pack and I gained a lot of breathing space on that one. Great fun watching the mayhem behind me as I left them behind!
Lap 3 9:04.5
Lap 4 9:04.5 - Yes, two identical laps.
Lap 5 9:21.2 - As I approached the end of lap five I was busy blocking the entire pack, my front tyres were seriously degraded while the rear tyres showed little wear. I didn't trust the front tyres and took more care than strictly necessary.
Lap 6 9:34.4 - A mere 36 liters consumed, I only put in a splash of 20 liters. Got out again well in front.
Lap 7 9:07.9
Lap 8 9:12.1
Lap 9 9:10.2
Lap 10 9:14.1 - The "CTR2" caught up with me at the end of the lap.
Lap 11 9:41.6 - 20 liters into the tank again, exited from the pit lane right in front of the "IS F Racing".
Lap 12 9:04.2
Lap 13 9:07.8 - The "CTR2" caught up with me again near the end of the long straight.
Lap 14 9:15.4
Lap 15 9:20.2
Lap 16 9:38.4 - The usual splash of fuel, out again from the pit stop 20 seconds behind the "IS F Racing".
Lap 17 9:01.6 - At the end of the lap the "IS F Racing" turned into the pit lane well before I caught up with him, instead the "Yellow Bird" appeared in my mirror for the first time.
Lap 18 9:05.6 - The "Yellow Bird" dropped back again - he was throughout the race devilishly fast but hindered by his frequent pit stops and a tendency to spin out - instead the "CTR2" and the "IS F Racing" crept closer and closer.
Lap 19 9:10.5
Lap 20 9:13.1 - The "IS F Racing " and the "CTR2" caught up just as I approached my pit stop and we entered the pit lane 1-2-3.
Lap 21 9:38.9 - Splash of fuel. I exited the pit lane discovering myself right behind the "Yellow Bird" who was by now really making a nuisance of himself.
Lap 22 9:10.3 - But he took his pit stop at the end of lap 21, fortunately, and I was back in front. The "IS F Racing" was back in my mirror at the end of the long straight though.
Lap 23 9:07.6 - Others soon caught up, and throughout most of the lap I was chased by the "IS F Racing", The "Yellow Bird" and the "CTR2".
Lap 24 9:18:3 - I pitstopped one lap early to ensure I could stay ahead of the "IS F racing and the "Yellow Bird". I exited the pit lane on second spot, 15 seconds behind the "CTR2".
Lap 25 9:26.1 - The "CTR2" had his pit stop and I was back in front.

8 minutes 40 seconds into the lap the 4 hour mark was passed. I was busy blocking the "Yellow Bird" - I nudged him into the grass twice up that veeeeeeeeery long final straight - and I crossed the S/F line a mere 2 seconds in front. It was close.

On third place came the "IS F Racing" followed by the "CTR2" and the "BNR34" who had throughout the race hovered a short distance behind me.

Even with Downforce turned all the way down front and rear I didn't spin out once. What's really nice about this car it the amount of grip: there are some key passags I can take at full throttle with little fear of being thrown off the track in the corners. And this amount of grip makes it easy to block the faster cars - well, all the other cars - up the Long Straight when they really should be advantaged through their much superior speed. The "Yellow Bird" in particlar comes blasting before you're aware of his presence, but a wee nudge and off he goes.

Another car I am testing is the "Honda Integra Type R (DC 5) RM '04 " .....at 200 BHP and 434 PP it's a lovely fast thing but tending to throw me off the line in the fast corners, also the brakes seem less than overwhelming. It's the next one for the 4 H Nürburgring at a very low PP, but I need to get used to it first and push less hard in the corners. Despite being a Honda, a completely different car.

Last edited:
Honda Integra Type R (DC 5) RM '04 - 200 BHP - 950 kg - 434 PP.

I had to break off three races, realizing that I had fallen too far behind for a win to be within reach. On the 20th, 9th and 7th lap respectively.
It's the usual problem: I can just about keep up with the opposition through turns and corners, and they can be blocked somewhat easily although there's not the grip of the Honda CR-Z TC and I am as often sent spinning myself. But the opposition are very much faster down the straights and almost-straights, and once they overtake me - I cannot block 2-3-4 cars all at once - and put a mere few seconds of distance between us, I am done for.

Then up popped a line-up af cars that looked less intimidating than the usual S2000 Turbo, S2000 GT1, Audis, Lexus IS F. The hottest were the RUF CTR2 and the BNR 34 ....this was far more like it!

Skid recovery "on". ABS "10". Driving Line, ATC, ACtive Steering and ASM all "off". Racing Soft.

I, the CTR2 and the BNR all 5 laps between pit stops, making comparisons easier.

Lap 1. 9:10.1 - Fine start, on 4th spot out the first 180, within a few more corners and lots of pushing and bad words I was in front.

Lap 2. 9:03.8

Lap 3. 9:07.4 - Throughout the first three laps the BNR 34 was right behind me, a little distance to the pack. Only by the beginning of lap 3 did the CTR2 shake them off and begin to approach.

Lap 4. 9:09.2 - The CTR2 edging closer and closer

Lap 5. 9:18.5 - and caught up with us at the beginning of lap 5.

Lap 6. 9:39.4 - 36 liters consumed, 20 liters into the tank. I was out again well before the rest of them and two thirds into the lap I was leading by 33 seconds. At the end of the lap 26 seconds in front.

Lap 7. 9:02.2 - By the end of the lap 24 seconds in front. (I suspect the CTR2 and the BNR sent each other spinning during this lap, unseen by me).

Lap 8. 9:05.7 - By the end of the lap 16 seconds in front of the CTR2.

Lap 9. 9:06.2 - 10 seconds in front of the CTR2.

Lap 10. 9:15.9 - I entered the Pit Lane 2 seconds ahead of the CTR2, the BNR came in a few seconds later.

Lap 11. 9:43.8 - Splash of fuel. By the first check point I was leading by 40 seconds but lost some of it in the Aremberg gravel.

Lap 12. 9:00.8 - There's nothing like a free and unhindered run for excellent lap times!

Lap 13. 9:07.9

Lap 14. 9:07.8 - The CTR2 was close throughout the lap but never did manage to close the 2-3 second gap. Only near the end of the Long Straight did he attempt to overtake but was easily blocked.

Lap 15. 9:10.2

Lap 16. 9:35.1 - The usual 20 liters. The CTR enters the pit lane 2 seconds after me, by the first CP he trails by 40 seconds.

Lap 17. 8:59.1 - !!!!

Lap 18. 9:04.9

Lap 19. 9:12.2

Lap 20. 9:09.3 - The CTR2 almost caught up but never managed the last few seconds.

Lap 21. 9:46.3 - Only 15 liters left and I put in a bit more than usual.

Lap 22. 8:59.4 - !!

Lap 23. 9:08.0

Lap 24. 9:07.1

Lap 25. 9:12.2 - Entered pit lane right in front of the CTR2.

Lap 26. 9:48.6 - A very little splash of fuel and by the first CP I was in front by 42 seconds. I slowed down near the end of the lap so as to finish the lap a few seconds after the 4 Hour mark, some 20 seconds ahead of the CTR2. The BNR 34 somewhere farther behind.

By the end of lap 5 the front tyres were very badly worn, a 6th lap unthinkable. The car was almost fully under control right through until the pit stops ...I can imagine it would be a very different story without Skid Recovery. The rear tyres showed very little wear.

A PP of 434 ...I am quite pleased.

Last edited:
Honda Integra Type R (DC 5) RM '04 - 200 BHP - 950 kg - 434 PP.

Skid recovery "on". ABS "10". Driving Line, ATC, ACtive Steering and ASM all "off". Racing Soft.

I, the CTR2 and the BNR all 5 laps between pit stops, making comparisons easier.

Lap 26. 9:48.6 - A very little splash of fuel and by the first CP I was in front by 42 seconds. I slowed down near the end of the lap so as to finish the lap a few seconds after the 4 Hour mark, some 20 seconds ahead of the CTR2.

A PP of 434 ...I am quite pleased.

A very fine result von Stiefel, and you have revealed a favorable lineup. 👍

Could you find this lineup again? How much more PP do you reckon you'd need to defeat his lineup without SRF? Could you still get 5 laps of good tire wear?

Respectfully,
Steve

Back