Fridays BOSS 302 20:30-21:30 BST - Congratulations CHAMPION - Flaco !!!Finished 

Suzuka Circuit_15.jpg Suzuka Circuit_16.jpg Suzuka Circuit_17.jpg Suzuka Circuit_18.jpg Suzuka Circuit_19.jpg Suzuka Circuit_20.jpg Suzuka Circuit_21.jpg Suzuka Circuit_22.jpg Suzuka Circuit_23.jpg Suzuka Circuit_24.jpg Suzuka Circuit_25.jpg Suzuka Circuit_26.jpg Suzuka Circuit_27.jpg Suzuka Circuit_28.jpg Suzuka Circuit_29.jpg Suzuka Circuit_30.jpg Suzuka Circuit_31.jpg Suzuka Circuit_32.jpg

Round 5 BOSS 302 Points.jpg
Slide 1 Title.jpg

As you will know from the BSCC thread I went to a classic car show last Sunday and took a few photos. I decided to post mainly saloons on the BSCC thread and mainly sports cars on this thread.

To start we have a 1920's Bentley 4.5 litre four cylinder. There is a very nice video on Petrolicious featuring one of these cars so I'll add a link at the end of this post. On the steering wheel you can see a couple of levers which you don't have in a modern car - mixture, to adjust the fuel to air ratio depending on altitude and ignition, to advance or retard the ignition relative to top dead centre to aid starting (retard) or improve high speed running (advance). You would also adjust these two levers according to the octane rating / quality of the fuel which at that time would be quite variable, especially from country to country. Ettore Bugatti called the Bentley "The world's fastest lorry", but their robust construction made them ideal for trans-continental touring and racing at Le Mans.

Slide 7 Bentley.jpg

Next a personal favourite - the Triumph TR6, which combined great styling with a lusty straight six 2.5 litre engine and the then very exotic (and misunderstood by most mechanics) Lucas mechanical fuel injection.

Slide 9 Triumph TR6.jpg

Slide 10 Triumph TR6 & MGA.jpg

Slide 8 Jag E Types.jpg

Above, there were plenty of Jaguar E Types - all looking better than the day they were made. Another gorgeous looking car - the Fiat 124 Spider. Forza has recently announced it will have this car, but strangely they have selected the version with ugly American market bumpers.

Slide 14 Fiat Spider.jpg

Finally the Porsche 356 - sadly not originals, but replicas - beautiful nonetheless.

Slide 15 Porsche 356 replicas.jpg

Next Round 6 from Maiwald (Custom Track by master track maker Eran) - note there will be no qualification race for round 6, just an extended practise session followed by the 25 minute feature race.

Petrolicious Bentley video

Last edited:
Thanks for the race today, it was great to be back :D

Just a quick reminder about our rules:

Please do not raise complaints during the meeting as this is very distracting for other drivers.

It's fine if you don't like the tracks we're racing on, but if you feel the need to exit the lobby during a race please do so in silence.

As the course creator I'd also appreciate constructive criticism. Saying that a track sucks is just pointless and rude.

What exactly happened?

Without mentioning any names: In the middle of the race, someone wrote "thanks, but this track sucks" and left.

As I found it extremely distracting, I felt that I had to point it out. I understand that it was a difficult track in these high power cars, and I'd gladly discuss that before and after the race. But I don't want to see comments like that during a race.

Well I had a commitment so I ought to have left. And there is a chance I will not be able to make the rest of the championship. However, if that happens, I will still be able to race at the Wednesday BSCC.

Last edited:
Well I had a commitment so I ought to have left. And there is a chance I will not be able to make the rest of the championship. However, if that happens, I will still be able to race at the Tuesday BSCC.
It will be pretty lonely there for you on Tuesday though. ;)

@eran0004 , I absolutely understand where you are coming from. You surely dedicated much time and effort on creating this track and I think those who, so badly, felt the need to express their discontent via chat and especially during the race, should apologise. Not only have they violated our agreement not to text during a race but also hurt the feelings of the creator of the track.

Those of us who drove the track on Wednesday BSCC might have had a slight advantage through experience gained on this track, but on the other hand, the track was announced to be used at the very beginning, so there is no point in saying there was "not enough time to practice" as has been stated at some point in the room aswell (although not during the race itself IIRC). If you need much practice to get used to a track, you had plenty of time to do it.

It might be a good time to point out that my track for next week (Shortun) was designed for small(ish) cars, the LCC Rocket in particular! :nervous: Although at 1.5 miles and with only 8 corners it's easy to learn.

I do have some much wider and longer tracks that may have been more suitable for the big American cars, although it's a little late at this stage. (My Hammer Hill was originally designed for the big Yank motors)

I did say it once before Sick, it would help a great deal if on the custom tracks you used the low edge grip setting instead of real. They can be narrower and drivers are less used to them so it would help prevent the spin outs that are caused by one touch of the grass. This is especially true on Eifel tracks I find. It's best to promote closer racing for longer where you can I always think.

Anyway I'm glad I managed to race with you all again after my illness, it's been awhile. Well I say race, it was more of a slow drive in the country just to get me back up to speed again. After getting lapped by the top three I picked my pace up a little and wasn't too far off their speed I was pleased to find. 👍

I agree with what has been said but I also think that as we are all participants everyone should be allowed to give their feedback, positive or negative.

It is stated in a post on the first page that tuning was prohibited so people didn't need to spend time preparing for each event and could just "jump in and race" - or words to that effect. I do acknowledge that the first 25 minutes was dedicated to learning the track, but with it being so long in length I am sure the majority will agree this amount of time just wasn't enough.

I think that the inclusion of this track has conflicted with the rational of the other regulations. If we were expected to be spending time practicing the tracks all week we might as well have allowed tuning also?

Next week the system will probably work better as the track is shorter, but one of the main reasons I joined was on the understanding that I wouldn't have to dedicate additional time to tuning and learning tracks.

It is not expected to spend time practicing during the week(s) before the race but you, aswell as anybody else, did have the opportunity to do so. And be asured there are some participants that literally spend hours and hours during the week before each track/race.

Now, since we are in the middle of debating this topic, what if we try and let Sick announce the next track we will race on the night before, or even something like 30 minutes before room opening? I'd vote for something like that.

Round 6 from Maiwald
I really like this track, with its flowing combinations of corners and slow section, which is why it was a joint winner of the track making competition along with "Shortun". I find that it is suited to a wide range of cars and reminds me of the Nordschleife - it has been compared to the Sudschleife track. When this series (and Historic BSCC 3) was first planned I intended to feature more custom tracks, but we found that the PS3 / PSN cannot cope running a qualification race and a feature race one after the other on a custom track. I therefore reduced the number of custom tracks to two and deleted the qualification race at the custom tracks in favour of a longer practise session.

I don't mind whether people do a lot of practise for the races or none - that is entirely their choice according to their preference and the amount of time they have available and are allowed to put in by their wife, girlfriend, kids or whatever.

Any custom tracks used are available to download from my community page or from the tracks creator if people want to practise on them beforehand. The driving line is available if people have not had time to practise - I used it at Dristelen and Maiwald.

When I select the tracks for a series I try to ensure that they suit the cars and tyres that will be used and that if there is a car change the range of tracks prior and post change is matched. For example a high speed track such as Nordschleife is matched with a second high speed track such as Mount Panorama, a slow speed track such as Laguna Seca is matched with Brands Hatch. Sometimes the tracks are selected for historic reasons to match the tracks or the character of tracks used in an actual event.

If people want to practise together beforehand they can open a room in the club lobby - I often find that one is open before I start the room on Wednesday or Friday.

I really enjoyed the meeting on Friday and was very happy with my result. I was also amazed by and respect the speed of the front running guys - well done to them.

Just a quick reminder about our rules:

It's fine if you don't like the tracks we're racing on, but if you feel the need to exit the lobby during a race please do so in silence.

As the course creator I'd also appreciate constructive criticism. Saying that a track sucks is just pointless and rude.

I second these comments from Eran. If for any reason you are not enjoying an event, it is fine to just leave or park in the pits. I will award last place points as if you sufferred a disconnection. Please avoid comments during a race as they can be distracting.

It might be a good time to point out that my track for next week (Shortun) was designed for small(ish) cars, the LCC Rocket in particular! :nervous: Although at 1.5 miles and with only 8 corners it's easy to learn.

The track was tested in advance with the cars from both series so I am confident that it will be suitable. It is a short track and therefore easy to learn, but it is also a track which is sufficiently complex that extra time can be found when you know it well. I expect that a lot of lapping of back markers will occur so that will be one of the challenges of the meeting for the faster guys.

I did say it once before Sick, it would help a great deal if on the custom tracks you used the low edge grip setting instead of real. They can be narrower and drivers are less used to them so it would help prevent the spin outs that are caused by one touch of the grass. This is especially true on Eifel tracks I find. It's best to promote closer racing for longer where you can I always think.

We can try this, but I prefer, as far as possible to keep the room settings the same from week to week.

I think that the inclusion of this track has conflicted with the rationale of the other regulations. If we were expected to be spending time practicing the tracks all week we might as well have allowed tuning also?

The driving line is optional and can be used if people are not confident with a track or have not had time to practise. I would have preferred to race without it, but used it for this race meeting and also at Dristelen which I don't know well and didn't have time to learn.

Now, since we are in the middle of debating this topic, what if we try and let Sick announce the next track we will race on the night before, or even something like 30 minutes before room opening? I'd vote for something like that.

It is an interesting suggestion and could work well with some series, but I don't want to do that with my series. A lot of thought goes into the track selection for each series. Most of our series are inspired by the achievements of great drivers from the past or the reimagining of race series from motorsport history. This series and Historic BSCC 3 was inspired by Frank Gardner hence we have Brands Hatch Indy and GP and Mount Panorama. Dristelen was included as it was inspired by one of the ETCC tracks used in the 1960's.

With these series I try to do what I think Polyphony Digital should be doing with the historic car content in a game - offering something which has an air of authenticity and which increases immersion through being inspired by historic events.

Sorry this is a long post, but a lot of points were raised and I have tried to respond to them.

Last edited:
Yes - GT Planet went into meltdown
If you accidentally make multiple posts just hit the report button on the extra post(s) and ask the mods to delete them. They soon clear up the thread.

We can try this, but I prefer, as far as possible to keep the room settings the same from week to week.
It's really only for the custom tracks, particularly those that are on the narrow side.

I'm actually looking forward to a busy Shortun. ;)

It is an interesting suggestion and could work well with some series, but I don't want to do that with my series. A lot of thought goes into the track selection for each series. Most of our series are inspired by the achievements of great drivers from the past or the reimagining of race series from motorsport history. This series and Historic BSCC 3 was inspired by Frank Gardner hence we have Brands Hatch Indy and GP and Mount Panorama. Dristelen was included as it was inspired by one of the ETCC tracks used in the 1960's.

With these series I try to do what I think Polyphony Digital should be doing with the historic car content in a game - offering something which has an air of authenticity and which increases immersion through being inspired by historic events.

Sorry this is a long post, but a lot of points were raised and I have tried to respond to them.
Sure, but the thoughts and inspiration for the track selection mustn't get lost. Just don't publish them until shortly before a meeting. Yes, you would have an advantage because you are the only one knowing all tracks in advance, but that's OK, you are the Host and it's your series. You are doing all of this and I think it is actually a fair deal if you get a little advantage. My suggestion would only apply for No-Tuning series btw, for those that recommend tuning it wouldn't make much sense, because they require preparation, naturally.

Sure, but the thoughts and inspiration for the track selection mustn't get lost. Just don't publish them until shortly before a meeting. Yes, you would have an advantage because you are the only one knowing all tracks in advance, but that's OK, you are the Host and it's your series. You are doing all of this and I think it is actually a fair deal if you get a little advantage. My suggestion would only apply for No-Tuning series btw, for those that recommend tuning it wouldn't make much sense, because they require preparation, naturally.

I don't think it's possible to make everyone equally prepared (unprepared?) for a race. Those who have a lot of time to practice can still get a lot of time with the car, which will give them an edge on any track.

I don't think it's possible to make everyone equally prepared (unprepared?) for a race. Those who have a lot of time to practice can still get a lot of time with the car, which will give them an edge on any track.
I'm sorry, I can't agree. The car I know the best of all, on a track I am driving for the first time ever, will not be very fast. That is until I've learned the track.

Do you have a 450PP car that you like very much and consider fast? If so, do you have a track unshared to this point that you would share and we meet in a room and see what happens? I have a car that is one of the fastest on the Nordschleife, I guarantee you in the first couple of laps on your track, I haven't got the slightest chance. No matter how good I know my car. ;)

I'm gutted about missing Maiwald by the way, definitely one of my favourite tracks in GT6 :(

While not all awards are given on merit (Turner Prize, Booker Prize, Oscars, the list is endless) my purely personal opinion is that Maiwald is right among those at the top of the tree in respect of the tracks I've driven on GT from day one. Surely no track can be truly brilliant if it doesn't have hidden depths that need exploring in order to string the corners together effectively. I loved it in the Rockets, and I've been putting miles in on it with road cars from 525-578pp on C/S tyres recently, and I've found it to be suited to those just as well.

If the development team at PD really knew their stuff they'd be offering Eran a contract.

And, by the way, texting during a race sucks.

Cheers, Zo.

Back