FRL - HTCC - Historic Touring Car CupFinished 

• Thread starter snowgt
  • 173 comments
As someone opting for the lower power cars such as the Mini, talk of Monza and Sierra etc. etc. is making me scared :nervous:

As someone opting for the lower power cars such as the Mini, talk of Monza and Sierra etc. etc. is making me scared :nervous:

Well, "low power" is a term that fits all of these cars really. ;)

The Mini actually has quite enough power for its low weight, so it shouldn't be one of the ones lacking in top speed. (It has the 2nd best power-to-weight ratio in the field.)

If I'm concerned about the BoP, it would be rather be regarding the Mini being too fast though. I've obviously tested with one LSD-setting, but that doesn't mean someone doesn't find a superior one, which makes it noticeably faster. In that case the Mini would have to be up for reevaluation.

I say turn Sierra into an enduro, perhaps a double points double length race.

That would certainly be an option. 6-lap race with 1 pitstop or something like that. I'll put that up for a vote once we get to Sierra. 👍

Thought a short characterization of cars might help some people to make their car choice:

- Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63: Quite good in straight line speed, good overall performance.
- Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 '65: Due to its lightness a very good handling car. If it has any weakness, it's a little low on power, so it will be hard to overtake with it on straights.
- BMW 2002 Turbo '73: Although the heaviest car in the field, handling is definitely its strong suit. If you know how to cope with its back-end, which likes to step out, a very fast car on twisty circuits. Top speed is not that great though, so long straights are its enemy.
- Honda 1300 Coupe 9S '70: Very balanced car for a FWD. Although also not very powerful on paper, it might be the sleeper of the field.
- Isuzu Bellett 1600 GT-R '69: Well-behaved car that sometimes needs some encouragement to be fast. Needs to be revved a little past the red line before shifting to harvest its full power.
- Lotus Elan S1 '62: Has more than enough power for its little weight, but the short wheelbase makes it somewhat tricky to drive consistently.
- Mini Marcos GT '70: Light FWD with no real weaknesses other than ... FWD.
- Mazda Cosmo Sport (L10B) '68: Probably the best chassis in the field. Likes to rotate in more ways than one. Comparably lacking a little torque as it has no turbo.
- Mini Cooper 1.3i '98: Loads of power for such a little car, but it's sometimes hard to turn that into forward movement out of slow corners. Probably the most pronounced FWD in character of the 3 available.
- Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR '70: Pretty big compared to the field, but also the most powerful. If you don't mind revving it way past the red line (like...1,000rpm past), it will reward the driver with very decent top speed.
- Nissan Fairlady 2000 (SR311) '68: Very low center of gravity, very good allround car.
- Toyota Celica 1600GT (TA22) '70: Enough power and a very well behaved chassis make this a safe choice as your ride.
- Triumph Spitfire 1500 '74: Agile chassis - if you can control its rear, it doesn't have a weakness per se.
- VW Karmann Ghia Coupé '68: The only RR-layout in the field, probably not many believe this could be a contender. If you know how to drive an MR (it behaves like one) and how to harvest the mid-range turbo's power though, it might surprise a lot of people. (hint: shift early!)

Well I bought the Celica way before Snow said it was a safe choice :odd:

I just liked this car for many years.

I completely overlooked the VW. Might have to give that one a go.

Joined the club last night. Hopefully I can make it to a test session to see if I can actually connect safely with everyone.

Coming...

Edit: Is series going to be like ToCa or clean racing? Tonight it seems that ToCa driving was alright. If that's the case then I'm out.

Last edited:
Coming...

Edit: Is series going to be like ToCa or clean racing? Tonight it seems that ToCa driving was alright. If that's the case then I'm out.
Oiii :grumpy:

In all seriousness i expect this closer to wsc...

Gotta remember FRL series preseason races are, without exception, a royal cluster:censored: of dirty driving. If these races are at ToCA level, the actual races should be fine.

Coming...

As I thought I had made clear in the OP, this is non-contact racing, certainly not TOCA-style. I've also made that clear to the driver in question in the lobby after you left. (I had a prime view of what was happening right behind you.)

I hope the message was heard, because I certainly won't have any of that in the actual race events.

Oiii :grumpy:

In all seriousness i expect this closer to wsc...

Actually WSC-behaviour is the least of what I expect of people, since cars have less power and go at slightly slower speeds, so it should give drivers more time to react accordingly.

To be fair, from what I've seen all other drivers were following OLR rules pretty much flawlessly in the two test sessions so far, which was encouraging.

Ok, then I'm still in. That was just testing session races and no need to get that kind of driving. I just leave because I don't like that kind of driving. I can do testing my own private room.

I can do any testing I like and when I like also any room setting I like. That's the point testing my own. Testing together gives you picture what kind of pace other drivers have compared to yourself.

Actually WSC-behaviour is the least of what I expect of people, since cars have less power and go at slightly slower speeds, so it should give drivers more time to react accordingly.
Let's not forget that doing a bump-and-run on one of those super-loose RWD cars in this series could have much nastier consequences than in TOCA.

If they're not sandbagging.

HTCC testing is not pre-season Formula 1... :lol:

I can do any testing I like and when I like also any room setting I like. That's the point testing my own. Testing together gives you picture what kind of pace other drivers have compared to yourself.

Actually, I agree. If you're testing a field of cars and try to find out which one suits you best or which one you are fast in, it's often just disrupting when you have other cars on track or somebody changing tracks all the time. I was holding public test sessions mainly for those that like to compare where they stand. Good thing with these cars is that the upper performance limit is not variable as setups are practically fixed. So, basically lap times will approach a certain "ceiling" asymptotically. Which in turn should mean close racing.

It's seems very likely that I will not be apply to join this saturday race (I'll have other race same time).

Back