Full damages till they fix penalty system pool.

• Thread starter praiano63
  • 43 comments

Do you want a severe damages system instaured , to replace the actual penalty system till ok.

• Yes

Votes: 68 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 32.0%

• Total voters
The current system is broken, but damage isn't the solution, as the perpetrator doesn't receive more damage than the victim, i.e. damage doesn't correctly assign blame any more than the current penalty system does.

But adding heavy damage, at least for Race C, would eventually curb some of this terrible behavior.
No, it would just make things a whole lot worst adding heavy damage.

Edit: The current penalty system is way way better than having heavy damage on a car. First turn with heavy damage your race in done, and the other person can finish the race. A penalty system without heavy damage on the car, at lease you can finish a race.

Last edited:
At this point I'd be happy if they just went to the pre Laguna Seca system. It was flawed but was MOSTLY consistent and kept dirty drivers at a lower SR.
Yeah, roll back to what we had then would definitely do good.

Not just heavy damage, REAL damage. I want the cars to seem as though they are made of glass.

Yes there is a way to exploit this, but this combined with massive time penalties for the person doing the ramming, would maybe curb some of this terrible driving we are all seeing?

Or how about a super elite SR class. Where you must maintain 99SR for 50 consecutive sport mode races to be promoted to this class, and once you lose it (one organge sr arrow) you are relegated back to sr S etc etc?

Or how about a super elite SR class. Where you must maintain 99SR for 50 consecutive sport mode races to be promoted to this class, and once you lose it (one organge sr arrow) you are relegated back to sr S etc etc?

This would have worked pre hack job on their “fix”of the penalty system.

I voted yes but I just really want the old penalty system back with heavy damage.

What about setting the ghosting to STRONG? You wouldn't need to worry about hitting the guy in front losing control, and then getting a penalty.

What about setting the ghosting to STRONG? You wouldn't need to worry about hitting the guy in front losing control, and then getting a penalty.
It doesn't teach anything. In the E/B classes, there is soft ghosting for beginners. If there is ghosting in the B/S-S/S classes, it just becomes hot lapping.

No skill involved. Just four or five cars, all in the same space, driving around.

If two cars make contact the one going faster (or the one with the most steering input) gets transported to the beginning of that lap. That should work.

It doesn't teach anything. In the E/B classes, there is soft ghosting for beginners. If there is ghosting in the B/S-S/S classes, it just becomes hot lapping.

No skill involved. Just four or five cars, all in the same space, driving around.

no skill involved? Hum you still have to drive fast , you still have to make 4-5 laps at the highest speed possible , you still can make mistakes , dirty drivers wouldnt be able to count on punting people to go up the ladder
given the game we have right now , full ghosting is the best thing that can happen and it saddens me

no skill involved? Hum you still have to drive fast , you still have to make 4-5 laps at the highest speed possible , you still can make mistakes , dirty drivers wouldnt be able to count on punting people to go up the ladder
given the game we have right now , full ghosting is the best thing that can happen and it saddens me

Time trial is what you want. Ghost racing is not “real” racing.

No, because while in theory it's not a bad idea, both the offender and the victim would be severely damaged, good riddance for the offender, but why should the poor victim suffer because a moron decided to ram them? You could apply damage only to the offender, but the algorithm isn't that good and sometimes the victim would be penalized again. The best solution would be to create a new improved algorithm. Enough with PD's excuses, if Nvidia can create entire virtual cities with the power of AI and ML, I assume Sony has competent enough developers to create a half decent penalty system. There is a reason those guys are being paid thousands of dollars each month. And before someone jumps to the "it's difficult to implement, you don't understand how hard coding is", I would like to inform them I code too and realize how difficult it is. The problem is they don't actively try to fix the penalty system, they just alter some parameters on the current system, but if the very basic idea and design are flawed, parameters won't help at all.

No, because while in theory it's not a bad idea, both the offender and the victim would be severely damaged, good riddance for the offender, but why should the poor victim suffer because a moron decided to ram them? You could apply damage only to the offender, but the algorithm isn't that good and sometimes the victim would be penalized again.

eventually that victim will benefit from keeping his nose clean and the player who is most likely a repeat offender will go down in sr where he belongs.

eventually that victim will benefit from keeping his nose clean and the player who is most likely a repeat offender will go down in sr where he belongs.
Assuming that the victim would be patient enough to tolerate being rammed for more than 10 races, yes, their SR would go up and they would race against clean racers. However, few people are so patient, most would be annoyed by the first collision and rightly so, it's unsportsmanlike to ram the others on purpose (accidents are fine though). On the other hand I have noticed that rammers take too long to fall to SR E hell, to fall from B to E (assuming it's a new account), they would need at least 5 very dirty races, which means they would ruin at least 5 racers day. Besides, sport mode is inherently unbalanced, in my first race I was defaulted at DR E and had to face a couple of DR A and B drivers respectively. How could in PD's eyes a new E driver compete with a seasoned A driver? Sport mode is consisted of many ideas that are good on paper, but not so good in practice.

No, it would just make things a whole lot worst adding heavy damage.

Edit: The current penalty system is way way better than having heavy damage on a car. First turn with heavy damage your race in done, and the other person can finish the race. A penalty system without heavy damage on the car, at lease you can finish a race.
Heavy damage gives damage to both cars meaning the other driver would need to put as well

If you think adding heavy damage will fix racing etiquette because it will enforce heavier penalties on both parties.

Ask yourself if you think the current penalty system would be better if the penalties were more harsh, and both parties always received them regardless of fault. Because that's the same thing you're asking for.

I'll repeat again with heavy damage.
On paper it sounds the best solution but otherwise it becomes a grief/snipe central with randoms just heavy contact you and leave.
Again, there was a reason why heavy damage was quickly removed in FIA races.
It might not affect much DR A/S class but i think players from all classes want to enjoy finishing a race.
(Also SR is a joke to recover so dirty players can be easily found in S)

If you think adding heavy damage will fix racing etiquette because it will enforce heavier penalties on both parties.

Ask yourself if you think the current penalty system would be better if the penalties were more harsh, and both parties always received them regardless of fault. Because that's the same thing you're asking for.
In terms of the next race, it would be bad. For the longer term it'd be great. It's also how it works in the real world.

Last edited:
They just need to roll it back like a year or so, before they moved to blaming the guy in front for collisions. From that day it's been a mess.

Back