Full damages till they fix penalty system pool.

• Thread starter praiano63
  • 43 comments

Do you want a severe damages system instaured , to replace the actual penalty system till ok.

• Yes

Votes: 68 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 32.0%

• Total voters
When the game first released, you got a 10 second penalty for crashing into the back of someone. They should bring that one back as well (with damage).

In terms of the next race, it would be bad. For the longer term it'd be great. It's also how it works in the real world.
why would it be great? how does it work in the real world? because people would stop racing?

A lot of lower level drivers in this game don't actively want to crash but just have poor control. You want to take away this game from those drivers by making it unplayable?

why would it be great? how does it work in the real world? because people would stop racing?

A lot of lower level drivers in this game don't actively want to crash but just have poor control. You want to take away this game from those drivers by making it unplayable?

They are part of the crashing problem. Why should players who never learn get a free pass?

Damage and ghosting shouldn't be the answer to the penalty problems. Ghosting will only encourage poor race behavior and damage won't accomplish cleaner races. What PD needs to do, but won't, is implement a ceiling to penalties that can be obtained in a race and if that ceiling is reached, the driver gets booted and receives a DQ for their effort.

how does it work in the real world?
When two (or more) cars come into contact in the real world, both (or all) get damage, whoever is at fault. If it's a particularly heavy contact, it may even end the race of one (or more) of them, regardless of whether it's the car that caused it or not - and it often isn't, because the guy being hit can't control which bit of their car gets hit, but the guy hitting them can control which bit of their car they hit with.

There isn't a "not my fault" code in real-world collision physics. Contact causes damage.

why would it be great?
People learn.

Short-term what would happen is a many people being put out of (or out of contention at any rate, as GT doesn't do race-ending failures) races because of crashes. It'll be very annoying. Over time to the near future, they'll gradually diminish - with the occasional blip - to the point where it's a minority of people causing, and being put out of (contention in) races by, the majority of crashes. The people involved in their accidents will suffer in that race, but not the three or four either side of it, while the people causing them will be in more accidents and suffer in more races.

Long-term the result is the overwhelming majority of people actively avoiding crashes and occasionally getting tangled up in one (because it's close quarters, and latency is still a thing) while a tiny minority still get into frequent accidents.

And we see that in real life too - every real race series has a crash magnet, while most drivers don't get involved in any and some have the odd one every dozen races.

I don't really care... but they definitely shouldn't be able to progress up in Driver Rating if they're too **** to avoid crashing in every other race, because that's what pretty much exactly what Driver Rating is for. If they keep getting put to the back by race-ending damage, their DR will suffer - as it should - and that'll keep them tossing around with other people too **** to avoid crashing. Then everyone else can get on with actually driving.

i dont understand why everything you said doesn't apply word for word to stricter penalties for both parties. something im sure you would agree is a bad penalty system.

Dunno why damage is a solution, but an idea to serve penalty in a pit lane is kinda cool and sounds familiar:).

But damage on other side is an interesting twist. Like in a real world racing series, whom to blame is a question out of an actual race, that keeps going regardless.

Last edited:
i dont understand why everything you said doesn't apply word for word to stricter penalties for both parties. something im sure you would agree is a bad penalty system.
The penalty system still requires a judgement to be made as to who is at fault and what the magnitude of the penalty should be according to the result (off-track/on-track, time gained/lost, blah blah), and we've seen that the GT Sport one seems to not be able to recognise anything prior to the moment of contact, so it often gets who's at fault wrong. Making that give out harder wrong penalties seems a bit daft.

In fact the original penalty system was a no-fault system, where both players got penalised in any contact. It wasn't hugely popular because it wasn't explained - like, at all - and players didn't expect it. The penalties weren't punishment, rather in lieu of damage (the Sportsmanship videos make it clear that you are supposed to watch out for other drivers being sphincters). Players were seeing they were getting penalties - and thus punished - despite doing nothing wrong.

If PD had stuck with it, it absolutely would have worked the same way as heavy damage.

I'd rather see the time penalty system scrapped altogether as it's never going to work properly.

To finish first, you first need to finish so put damage on heavy and force people to be more aware of what's happening around them. Accidents will still happen but the threat of damage should see people trying much harder to avoid it.

no skill involved? Hum you still have to drive fast , you still have to make 4-5 laps at the highest speed possible , you still can make mistakes , dirty drivers wouldnt be able to count on punting people to go up the ladder
given the game we have right now , full ghosting is the best thing that can happen and it saddens me
Yeah, everyone drives fast and everyone just remains in the same space. Ramming or not, as posed above, with ghosting, it becomes a TT, it's less like real world racing. I mean, it's what this game is based on.

A room of fast players, what purpose does ghosting serve? Of course mistakes can happen and it can be annoying for a ghosted car to be in the same space as another player.

How bad would a World Tour look with ghosting the whole one hour of racing?

Ghosting is just a band-aid solution. Imagine if there was a ghost lobby in sport mode, the people who become dependent on ghosting will be even worse off as soon as they enter a normal race. Also, how do you rationalize giving DR or SR to players who are essentially on the track by themselves?

Honestly, I don't think any penalty or damage system is ever going to be perfect and eliminate dirty driving. Some people just have a win at all costs mindset. Me personally, even if there are no damage/penalties I will still have a zero contact policy (as much as humanly possible anyway, mistakes can still occur out of misjudgement). Every season in my S/S driver application I always ask PD to implement heavy damage in FIA races, but I doubt they will ever do it. It makes the racing too difficult, and takes GT too far into the realism category. People will be turned off the FIA races and that's exactly the opposite of what PD wants.

Hopefully this update fixes it. When you get divebombed and you get the penalty instead of the guy ramming you, something's really wrong with the collision logic.

They should increase ghosting. It's more realistic than getting rammed by a 290kph torpedo and both drivers continuing on to complete the race like nothing happened :lol:

Back