Future of the Current Tracks (with Poll)

• Thread starter bman1984
  • 145 comments

Is it time to do away with the last generation tracks?

• Total voters
Simply put people don't seem to want a NEW game, with new content. They want to cling on to the old content they've always had, no matter what the quality. I get that GT is a driving game, it's not a game with a story and characters that needs to be done newly every game but it still needs to move on and evolve, not just keep using the same content over and over. We've driven some of these cars and tracks since GT1, would it really be so awful if instead we drove something new, on a new track?

Imagine this, for GT7 everything was brand new. There was no carried over tracks, no carried over cars, just a completely new experience. That's obviously silly and not going to happen but imagine it did, it would be a brand new game. You can still play the old games and experience those, but GT7 would be new. I personally would really enjoy that hypothetically, but it seems many people here wouldn't because they MUST also have the old stuff.

Simply put, many of us don't mind a new game with new content, "if" that content enhances or improves the experience.
Obviously, opinions on that can vary a lot from player to player.

Also, don't forget that anticipation for the next game is based primarily,
on the the players perception of the last game, not on an unknown new game.
Simply put as well is "Don't screw up the great aspects of the old game with the new game".
Rather improve and expand them.

I believe PD for the most part followed that for GT1-4.
However, beginning with GT5, and further with GT6, a radical departure took place, and in many players opinion including mine,
it devalued the series considerably.

It seems now, you can no longer count on the quality and quantity of structure, balance and content that was the backbone of GT1,2,3 and peaked with 4.

Sure, Bathhurst and Spa are welcomed additions, as well as much better graphics and physics.
Additional new cars, so on and so forth.
But other good tracks and content from the old games should not have been eliminated.

If there was a way to bring the graphics up a couple of notches on the old games, I would be playing them.

Last edited:
Do we need Matterhorn and Madrid? Can we throw them back for some new locations like Japan and Africa? Sweden? Alaska? I welcome new content. GT6 look like tracks were thrown in for the heck of it. But then, Suzuka gets a refresh. I'm wishing and hoping yet, I'm closer to just letting things be and wait to see what happens like I used to wai4.during GT1-4.

I voted "No".

Personally I can't see the problem about the last generation tracks. Yes, I agree that some of them MUST suffer texture improvements (like Laguna Seca, Deep Forest, Grand Valley) or track design changes like Cote d'Azur, but that doesn't mean they need to go away because of that. Of course I wouldn't say "no" to new tracks like Sebring or COTA, but now we're talking about Gran Turismo, which exists in the gaming world for almost 20 years and has built a community of million fans. Many of them, including me, almost "grew up" with this game. So, I don't believe it's a good move to remove these tracks, because then GT will lose it's characteristic that made most of us love GT. E.g how many of you did you burn your brain trying to pass that GT3 Time Attack with the RGT at Complex String, or the GT2 S-2 test with the GT40 at Seattle, or the GT1 IA-7 test with the Griffith at SSR11, or the GT4 Slipstream Mission with the R34 at Test Course? As @Bobert power said, "original tracks are the reason GT has still soul". Nostalgia is the key here, something that you can't easily find in a video game franchise, especially if this franchise did not leave a good story in the past.

And about the graphics ... since PS4's power allows better and quicker development, I don't think there's a reason for us to "worry" about "how this track will look with PS4 graphics etc." We live in 2015. The next-gen games MUST have better graphics. PD's people just have to put it in their mind and sit on the chair to make it happen.

Last edited:
Nostalgia needs to be dumped if the game needs to move forward. If the last gen tracks are just ported over without serious updates, it'll show much of a hindrance old assets will be if they're just left in because of nostalgia value.

Nostalgia needs to be dumped if the game needs to move forward. If the last gen tracks are just ported over without serious updates, it'll show much of a hindrance old assets will be if they're just left in because of nostalgia value.

Perhaps an optional "classics' pack for the rehashed old crap?

Perhaps an optional "classics' pack for the rehashed old crap?
An optonial DLC for "rehashed old crap" would be a good comprimise IMO. I can't see them porting over the unimproved older tracks into GT7, but if they did, including them in the career or base game would be a mistake IMO.

Either agree and disagree... Of course no one asked for ported tracks without updates

After tearing around in RaceRoom for a few days, it took little time to notice that the track modeling was superb, but the surroundings were just decent. Complete with flat spectators in stands and fold out trees. I haven't spent a lot of time in the RRE section of the forums, but I don't recall any threads complaining about the "standard tracks."

After tearing around in RaceRoom for a few days, it took little time to notice that the track modeling was superb, but the surroundings were just decent. Complete with flat spectators in stands and fold out trees. I haven't spent a lot of time in the RRE section of the forums, but I don't recall any threads complaining about the "standard tracks."
I don't recall any threads comparing AAA, flagship, console selling games with budgets bigger than most Hollywood movies to niche games released only on pc, but feel free to go ahead and do so if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:
@Johnnypenso, those Standard tracks will most likely be making a return along with those Standard cars, maybe more of them if they listen to some of us here. They are popular. It is going to be interesting to see the reactions here if they aren't spruced up a lot, but I really don't see the angsting over them out in the "real" world.

By the way, Andrea Tantaros was hotter and a little less milquetoast.

@Johnnypenso, those Standard tracks will most likely be making a return along with those Standard cars, maybe more of them if they listen to some of us here. They are popular. It is going to be interesting to see the reactions here if they aren't spruced up a lot, but I really don't see the angsting over them out in the "real" world.

Oh well, why didn't you say that earlier? If you personally haven't seen any angst against standard cars and tracks in the real world in all your travels, that should end any discussion about standards right there
smiley-laughing001.gif

/end thread

Little sample of GTP stats:

Nearly 2/3 of those voting don't wants standards in the base game.
2/3 surveyed don't want standards in GT7
3/4 surveyed won't be happy with standards in GT7

I guess things are quite different in your "real" world.

Last edited:
Oh well, why didn't you say that earlier? If you personally haven't seen any angst against standard cars and tracks in the real world in all your travels, that should end any discussion about standards right there
smiley-laughing001.gif

/end thread

Little sample of GTP stats:

Nearly 2/3 of those voting don't wants standards in the base game.
2/3 surveyed don't want standards in GT7
3/4 surveyed won't be happy with standards in GT7

Τhe fact that someone accepts some non-acceptable decisions or situations differently from others, doesn't automatically mean that he can't recognise what are the most of the people asking for. Just saying

What I meant was, away from the fog of war in GT Planet, oh wise one. ;) Or has it escaped your notice the times it has been mentioned that the hardcore enthusiast/complainer here doesn't reflect the attitudes of the millions of Gran Turismo players? How many reviews of gaming magazines have mentioned those "unacceptable" Standard cars and tracks? How many have even mentioned fold out trees and flat spectators? There are a few, but then they go on to elaborate on a game which sounds a LOT different than the GT6 discussed - and cussed - here.

An optonial DLC for "rehashed old crap" would be a good comprimise IMO. I can't see them porting over the unimproved older tracks into GT7, but if they did, including them in the career or base game would be a mistake IMO.

But imagine the outcry... :rolleyes:

One more thing. There is zero reason for DLC with all the space on Blu-Ray discs. For those who are such purists who don't want those simple polys even residing on the same disc, there could be a separate platter for "bonus Standard content." :D

And again, we have no idea what sort of shape this Standard stuff is going to be in. But it's the GT Planet way to complain about all the unknowns as if it's the end of our tiny little game universe as we know it.

Tracks that got added/updated in GT6 (Autumn Ring...etc): Stays with slight upgrades.

Old tracks made in GT5P and GT5: needs huge upgrades since some tracks like Trial Mountain, London and Deep Forest looks somehow outdated.

This also includes the updated time & weather daytona which's also outdated since it's still basically 2007 one.

Also it's my 2,000 Post!! YAY :gtpflag:

How are the physics to raceroom? I played it for about 2 hours earlier this week, but I was only getting like 12 FPS, so it was extremely difficult to compensate with that low frame rate. :P If it was around 18 or 19 FPS I could compensate, but 12 is really hard. :P The hillclimb track in the BMW was fun though, even though I was forced to drive extremely slow. :) (85MPH for the majority)

What is your source for the standard cars confirmed? I think I remember that happening, but I'm not completely sure why or how I remember that happening.

It's hard to ignore @Johnnypenso 's ever changing avatars, I quite liked the Christmas one though. :D :lol:

How are the physics to raceroom?
Sorry to hear about your "experience" with RaceRoom. I have an average gaming PC, won't meet the minimum specs to run P CARS except for the card, so I have a feeling it would run about as well as RR is for you. It's a shame, because of all the modren racers, RR seems to be the most accommodating to older computers.

Anyhow, the physics are very, very good. On the System 3 (the dev) boards, some are saying that some cars are coded with the old physics properties of GT2. I wouldn't know because the cars are different vehicles after all, plus I can't seem to get my G25 wheel to work with the game driving the wheel, so I use the general Logitech drivers as master control. I'm sure I'm missing some fine nuances coded into the game, but the feeling is still superb. I suppose I'm getting that Thrustmaster wheel next week, so I'll be giving that one a spin with RR. To me it's about as good as the current darling of the racing game world, Assetto Corsa, which some might differ with and is understandable as it also has great car and tire physics.

The bots are decidedly rowdy. Not as punishing as in Forza or GRID A, but they definitely fight in mean ways sometimes, causing me more than a few do overs. Still, overall they produce a great racing experience, and even with some lame brake checking, they drive quite a lot like humans and produce some outstanding replay and photoshoot moments.

I'm very taken with this (unfinished) game, yes still a work in progress, and even though it can set you back some serious quid if you buy it all, it's not much more than Forza 4 Ultimate Edition and all their DLC. Oh, but there's more stuff coming. :P Fortunately, a bit at a time and in packs, it's easier to deal with. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Oh yeah, those Standards. Mentioned on a few online gaming mags like Eurogamer, Kaz has said that the Standards are here to stay.
"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."
I know this causes some here no end of consternation, but maybe the changes by 2016 (or 17) will make them palatable. Frankly, I think the tracks are uglier, but what do I know, some guy with nothing but eyes and an artist's sense? ;)

Last edited:
They need to stay and add ones from past GT games. Which is exactly what I thought PD was doing to do with GT6 being the "15th Anniversary"

They need to add the following:

1. SSR11 (GT1 & GT3 version)
2. New York
3. El Capitan
4. Seattle
5. Tahiti Maze
6. Hong Kong
7. Cathedral Rocks 1 & 2
8. Opera Paris
9. Chamonix
10. Citta di Aria
11. MotorLand
12. Seoul Central
13. Infineon Raceway
14. Smokey Mountain
15. Rome Circuit (Original configuration from GT3)

They seriously need to to update

1. Côte d'Azur

Latest Posts

Back