Poll: what would you do with standards?

• Thread starter Fogerty_Jr
  • 202 comments

What would you do with standard cars in GT6?

• Keep them all: quantity over quality

Votes: 122 35.9%
  • Thanks for your service, goodbye: trash 'em all. Quality over Quantity.

Votes: 26 7.6%
  • Select some of them (like 70-100) to be made premium, and trash the rest

Votes: 149 43.8%
  • Keep them all, but only as a "vintage" backup option: they're not used by AI, so they appear in the

Votes: 43 12.6%

• Total voters
Keep the non-duplicate ones until a premium version was completed. With that said, I really want to see what the standards are like in GT6 so none of these poll options work for me.

Kill them with fire!!!

Can't really say that I hate the standard cars, but "all premium" would of course be much better.

Can't say i really agree with any of your poll options. I would keep them or at least 80% of them. I have no problem with the AI using them nor anything of the sort.

The first option is best suited but then it adds the negative comment to the end so I would not choose that one and all the others are just wrong.

I would keep the best standards to upgrade to premium (Minolta, R8 LMS, Nomad Diablo, Veyron etc) and trash the pointless duplicates.

The last option except the AI uses them. I don't see how the polygon count different between standard and premium raises quality.

Can't say i really agree with any of your poll options. I would keep them or at least 80% of them. I have no problem with the AI using them nor anything of the sort.

The first option is best suited but then it adds the negative comment to the end so I would not choose that one and all the others are just wrong.

"Negative comment"? It's not my personal opinion: keeping the standard cars in the game is objectively choosing quantity over quality. Hence, the first option perfectly resembles your idea 👍

I'd say there is more quality to be had in a bigger, more varied car list, less repetitive car entries within classes, and decreased time spent modeling cars than there is in a small visual difference you'll only notice in photomode or when you're driving the car.

I'm all for quality, I just don't think premiums add any. Not when they take so many resources to make.

I don't want "standard" quality cars in GT6 but I do still want the majority of the "standard cars" from GT5.

None of those poll options accurately describe what I'd like to see done with them. I want PD to do exactly what they seem to be doing to them.. have some upgraded to full premium quality and the rest given a reasonable exterior makeover to bring up their base quality level above what is currently considered a "standard" car in GT5's terms.

We don't yet even know how good / bad they're going to be in GT6 yet so I think it's a little unfair to summarily dismiss them out of hand at this point. I think it's fair to say that no one wants the jagged textured, low quality versions we've currently got in GT5 but I also don't think that's what we're getting. Since Kaz has said they're removing the functional restrictions I think it's quite unlikely they'll just dump in the same low quality textures / models and allow them to be used in Photo Mode.

With what information we do have I just can't us getting "standard cars" in GT6 the same as they are right now in GT5, if I'm wrong and they turn out to be the same low quality stuff then I'll happily eat a bowl of "I told you's Os" :).

Didn't see an option I wanted, but like others have said remove the duplicates, remove the worst modeled ones.

I think GT6 is the last we will see of them, Pd will premiumize the ones they want to carry over to the next generation.

Hopefully more of the vintage & iconic cars have been premiumed for GT6.

I'm with roadhog.

I chose option 1 but again without the bias associated with the last comment.

All the game would need would be an option so you can choose whether The game uses them or doesn't.

I don't want any cars lost to the game but I do want every car model to be upgraded at some point. However, while we wait for that to happen I'm happy to have them in the game.

I like to collect cars,that being one of the main reasons I got into/have kept in the series and I will do so once again.

Keep the non-duplicate ones until a premium version was completed. With that said, I really want to see what the standards are like in GT6 so none of these poll options work for me.

We don't yet even know how good / bad they're going to be in GT6 yet so I think it's a little unfair to summarily dismiss them out of hand at this point. I think it's fair to say that no one wants the jagged textured, low quality versions we've currently got in GT5 but I also don't think that's what we're getting. Since Kaz has said they're removing the functional restrictions I think it's quite unlikely they'll just dump in the same low quality textures / models and allow them to be used in Photo Mode.
What they said.

Last edited:
I hate the poor quality on the standards, I personally don't use them and I get irritated when I see super low quality cars racing with me as well. I say pick the best ones to be upgraded and trash the rest. It's unacceptable in a modern game to have models of that quality.

Of course, kaz did mention that they upgraded them a bit and they're allowing them in photo mode. So with a little luck, maybe they dramatically updated the exteriors and left the interiors out. That would make me somewhat happy, I still wouldn't really drive them, but at least they wouldn't pollute the race track

Scrap the duplicates so that their is one or two of each. There are some models that could be kept out of the duplicates, like having the base r34 skyline and the r34 skyline Nur. Get rid of all of the stuff in between that nobody really cares for. Having six different versions of a base skyline is ridiculous.

The first option is probably the most logic, but I suggest you cut the "quantity over quality."

The third option is good as well, except for the "trash the rest."

I would personally go for the third option, but I wouldn't mind keeping the rest. I didn't really like standards and still dislike them a bit, but then I imagine some of them being taken away and I see myself missing them.

If some of them were to be trashed that would be the duplicates. Then again, if they are not being replaced with something else, then it doesn't really make a difference.

This poll isn't very good, sorry. The options aren't broad enough, as personally I would choose the 1st option though the 3rd also applies since some have been upgraded already (Alpine, Countach). I wouldn't scrap them however, since they add a ton of variety to the game and PD wouldn't have enough time to upgrade all of them to Premium, meaning a lot of car choices will be heavily cut down. So if you want them out, you're basically saying you want less vehicle choices, not including quality as a factor here.
Not only this, but Kaz has mentioned that he's cleaning up the Standards and giving them more of a Premium feel and function (such as photo travel). Probably due to the longer amount of time he and his team have to focus on vehicles, instead of making a completely new game on a new platform with a new engine etc (GT5).
However, you can't judge what you haven't seen yet. This is like people saying Driveclub will be better than GT6 when the full games haven't even been developed completely yet; prejudice.
But that's just my 2 cents.

However much I appreciate the variety the multitude of Standards bring, I still feel they should have been left behind with the transition from PS2 to PS3.
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I'd rather have all the cars represented in pretty much the same detail. Gran Turismo 3 polygon models don't belong in a high end PS3 game. I'd rather have just 300 Premiums than the mixed bag of Premiums and Standards in GT5.
I was actually hoping GT6 would be a Premium only game, but I guess we'll have to wait for a PS4 version of GT for that. Hopefully.

With that being said, if rumor holds true and PD has worked some serious magic with the Standards to make them look more like Premiums in GT6, I'm all for the multitude.

Last edited:
I would do two things:

1. Learn something about how to word polling questions to cover as many aspects of the topic with as few choices as possible.

2. Realize there are already threads about standards and decide not to make another one. :)

If GT6 standard cars are like the Premium Nissan Skyline Concept that has no interior view in GT5 then keep the Standards in GT6 but some of the important Standards like the Supra RZ should be premium.

The poll doesn't make sense to me. I view converting 70-100 standards to premiums and trashing the rest the same as I would view trashing the standards all together. Saying it the way it's worded in the poll is almost like saying cars that have already been standards in the past can never become premiums or something. Ah, anyway now I'm confusing myself. :dunce:

Get rid of them all. No more standards, period.

I chose option 1 but again without the bias associated with the last comment

It's not biased at all. If you choose more of lower quality over less of higher quality, then you essentially support quantity over quality. It is of the utmost simplest logic.

Last edited:
I would do two things:

1. Learn something about how to word polling questions to cover as many aspects of the topic with as few choices as possible.

2. Realize there are already threads about standards and decide not to make another one. :)

OH YEAH, please... teach me, master :bowdown:

No, seriously: as far as I am concerned, I do not claim being good at making polls, I'm no poll professional and won't pretend to be one. That being said, let me explain why I've used those 4 options:

1) If you want to have more choice, since this choice consists of cars imported from GT4, you're actually choosing quantity over quality: live with it. There's nothing wrong with choosing quantity, either.

2) This options is for those who think that PS2 stuff can not appear on PS3 7 years after launch: you can live with less cars, but you want them all premium.

3) This is like the option 2, but you're basically asking PD not to model only new cars in the future, but pick the best standards and make them premium.

4) The standards stay in the game, but you have the possibility of "deactivating" them, so they won't appear unless you want them to appear. Probably the most democratic choice, since it would make both 1) and 2) happy.

Of course, having stated I'm no poll professional, those options are perfectible, controvertible and improvable. If you don't like it, you have two options:
1) You do not vote for this poll
2) You make your own poll

As for "others threads talkin' about standards": I didn't find any peer to this, there's no poll about "what to do with standards" on this forum.

Ok, maybe I've pulled this out a little bit too much. The heart of the matter is: you like it, you vote. You don't like it, you leave. Thanks folks! :sly:

It's not biased at all. If you choose more of lower quality over less of higher quality, then you essentially support quantity over quality. It is of the utmost simplest logic.

But it's not more of lower quality. It's the same high quality ones with the low quality ones added on. It's not as if it's 1000 Standards vs 500 Premiums. It's more like 500 Premium and 500 Standard vs just the 500 Premiums.

You could argue that including the standards lowers the overall quality of the game, but personally, considering the variety of standard cars there are, I think not including them would lower the quality of the car selection itself. Most of my favorite cars in GT5 are standard. If they ditched them, it would severely reduce my enjoyment of the game.

Of course, what's actually happening is that they are turning some of the standards into premiums and keeping the rest as standards. Which is what I would have voted for, if it was an option.

Back