Poll: Would you be happy with current standard cars in a PS4 Gran Turismo game?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 525 comments

Will you be happy with standard cars in a Playstation 4 Gran Turismo?

• Yes

Votes: 195 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 632 76.4%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So let's clear this up and see just where the community here does stand. It won't make a blind bit of difference to what PD do I'm sure but let's see what the divide is here.

The question is as simple as can be. The next Gran Turismo game is almost certainly going to be on the Playstation 4 console. In that game, will you be happy to see standard cars in it? The definition of a standard car is simple, any 3D model that started life on the Playstation 2 games and subsequently included in GT5 and GT6, either as-is or touched up. So yes, that includes the worst of them and the best touched up, but still standard models.

If you're happy to see those in PS4 GT you'll vote yes. If all you want to see are newly created, highly detailed cars currently known as 'Premium' models with a fully detailed interior vote no.

This thread is mainly just about adding the poll, there doesn't even really need to be discussion here. There are already two threads discussing them, one in particular about them in GT7

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/im-thinking-about-standard-cars-in-gt7.305998/

The Premium cars are beautiful and will probably be sufficient for PS4.
The Standard cars were good for PS2.

The answer's simple, they have to go. The visual gap would make the whole graphics thing for the Premiums rather pointless if you're tailing a pixel-y Skyline all the way around, let's say, Trial Mountain with the dodgy rock textures. And, yes, perhaps graphics isn't important to you, Mr Reader. But let's just say PD, once again, push the next PlayStation as far as it can go and then some. It'll look amazing, I assure you, until the Ford Falcon overtakes you. And that'll make PD's valiant effort to make a truly life-like game all in vain.

I think the solution is to, maybe, not put as many "new" cars into GT7 and instead focus on Premium-izing certain, noteworthy standards such as the RUF's. This way a few people from the Standard side of the fence are happy and the Premium-only players lose the eyesores!

Despite my much-loved M3 GTR Racer being included in the Standard Divide I feel enough is enough :(

My vote: NO

Let's get rid of these standards, however nice they can be driven.
I like to see replays, I like to take pictures, while cruising I like to see a detailed interior etc...

I would be perfectly happy with less cars, but please give us premiums !

I do have a list of standard cars, which I would very much like to see upgraded to premium, but I'm guessing everyone has such a (different) list...

No. It would look very inconsistent. This is already the case with GT5 & GT6, but on the PS4 the differences would be even larger (just imagine the terrible Alto Works sharing a next gen track with a whole field of next gen full-premium cars. It would look very misplaced).

This probably means we have to say goodbye to a significant number of PS2-era cars (I really don't think PD can or want to remake hundreds of cars into premium versions). Sad, but that's a sacrifice I would accept if it means that GT7 will be next gen in all aspects.

Do you think Polyphony cares if you are happy regardless?

If you read the first line of his post, you will see that is not the question.

edit: Tree'd

PD are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I wouldn't be happy about it, but then I'd be unhappy to loose many of the cars I like. I've got to vote No though, it just wouldn't be good enough for PD to that.

I voted no, even though I don't use interior view, it's - in my opinion - just not good enough for a Playstation 4 game to have GT2/GT3 interior graphics...

This is a hard question for me, because a good amount of the cars I drive are standard. It really depends on how many they can make premium.
Well who knows, if PD is really nice they will make all premiums because Kaz has trouble removing cars he just loves them i guess sohe makes double or tripple versions just to make sure all are happy :)

I think of it this way:

If PD removes the standard cars will they be replaced with premium versions? The answer is no, and we will lose hundreds of awesome cars that will likely never be in another racing game again. PD's inclusion of standards have kept some of our favorite cars from past GT titles available to be used and I was happy to see that several cars were touched up for GT6.

We always talk about options on this forum and if there was a filter for "Premium" cars only in races, I think that would solve many issues. They could tie this into an event creator and then the AI would populate only GT5 and up premium models.

Imagine not being able to drive the 1996 Corvette Grand Sport or the 90's FTO cars anymore. These have been in the game since GT1.

''Happy'' is another word,but if there are standards in GT7 (and I happen to own a PS4) i'd probably still buy it if it's a good game.

I think of it this way:

If PD removes the standard cars will they be replaced with premium versions? The answer is no, and we will lose hundreds of awesome cars that will likely never be in another racing game again. PD's inclusion of standards have kept some of our favorite cars from past GT titles available to be used and I was happy to see that several cars were touched up for GT6.

We always talk about options on this forum and if there was a filter for "Premium" cars only in races, I think that would solve many issues. They could tie this into an event creator and then the AI would populate only GT5 and up premium models.

Imagine not being able to drive the 1996 Corvette Grand Sport or the 90's FTO cars anymore. These have been in the game since GT1.

They CAN replace a lot of them. They have the time, and can hire the manpower. Nobody wants to lose some of the vehicles themselves but the representation of them as a standard car. I think someone has already made a list of absolute must stay vehicles and it wasn't any more than 100/150. They can all be re-done as a proper, 2014 model if they manage their time and resources properly.

They CAN replace a lot of them. They have the time, and can hire the manpower. Nobody wants to lose some of the vehicles themselves but the representation of them as a standard car. I think someone has already made a list of absolute must stay vehicles and it wasn't any more than 100/150. They can all be re-done as a proper, 2014 model if they manage their time and resources properly.
I agree that they could, but being realistic and seeing the mess GT6 has become I would say it is highly unlikely. Their most probable route would be to polish up a few more standards like the RS200 and RUFs and move on to other features like the moon and the stars.

Back