Future of the Current Tracks (with Poll)

• Thread starter bman1984
  • 145 comments

Is it time to do away with the last generation tracks?

• Total voters
I'm all for consistency here, but I would like to see how retouched versions of standard tracks will look, if they replace grass and sand with higher texture ones alongside the asphalt it would look a whole lot better. If they are going to keep them as they are, then no thanks. I have them on my PS3.

Ah dang it, I knew I should have left the “Truth does NOT equal bias” part of my original post. If only a moderator or administrator could see my drafts!!!! I’m not going to quote everyone so hopefully one post gets the point across.

So first let me breakdown those poll choices. I thought it was quite simple, but stupid me right.

Yes: Like the cars – That would be the standard cars, last generation tracks have to go – meaning removed from the series going forward. My eyes can’t handle those tracks – meaning AHHHHH look at those textures, that’s it burn it to the ground. (AHHHHH look at those jaggies, that’s it burn it to the ground.)

No: Like the cars – That would again be the standard cars, last generation tracks should return – meaning why toss something away cause it’s not perfect. We’re talking about a video game... not food or life.

As for the “bias poll”, “one sided” “UNlike” “why is this still open” comments, the truth stinks and you don’t like it. You belong in the final choice....

I can’t choose one way or another without being called a hypocrite. To those six (6) at this writing, provided they are NOT troll votes I respect you for it. I was looking for honesty and hopefully got just that. The others who didn’t should join you.

So you’re telling me you’d be ok with PS2 Gran Theft Auto III city environments (tracks) and PS3/PS4 Grand Theft Auto V characters (cars). WHAT???? Let me remind you.... “My point is standards are standards across the board, cars AND tracks”. Anything outside of that is called a Double Standard. No it’s not double premium, but standard. You don’t have two spare tires (standard) on your car and two full size tires (premium) on the other side?? That’s the point of the poll, Can you do with or without ALL of the “standard”, low quality, poorly executed content, or do you not know what you want (Option 3).

For the “everything premium” “remake them” comments, well that’s not up to anyone here now is it? That’s going to take time to accomplish, but members here and gaming industry won’t give the time. Also, if memory serves me correct any poll choices pertaining to standard cars were Yes/No (or some variation) also. Same here like any other voting, like in real life. No tricks. I’ll retype, standards ARE standards, cars AND tracks.

I have to quote a very simple version of the above....
You have yes, no, and don't want to say, how is that one-sided?
If the cars are in, might as well put the tracks in too.

Why can’t people understand all or none. Some get it and other I think like to argue and stir up problems. No Double Standards. It really not difficult as you’ll read below....

Now Samus please don't take this as signaling you out. I see you didn’t vote, but have your strong, rightful opinions so I’ll just ask: would you (or anyone) be ok with just 9 locations? They would be: Apricot Hill, Circuit de la Sarthe, Spa Francorchamps, Daytona, Matterhorn, Mount Panorama, Nurburgring, Twin Ring Motegi and Willow Springs? As of this moment, these are the only tracks with FULL Day/Night transition (0:00-24:00) and changing weather conditions. All the others (including that nice shiny new Redbull Ring) have either half/part of a day with weather, just weather or nothing at all. For that powerful PS4 console you, Samus would expect the real thing, full experience, the immersion. There is no such thing as a 3, 7, 8, 10, 11, or 14 hour day like those other tracks. So trash them right? Those tracks are so 2013. How in the heck did High Speed Ring make it this far, and why do people accept that? That’s so... dang I’m old.

Same for the cars, only a small few many have, again in my opinion, have ACTUAL detailed interiors. Working instrument panels like fuel, lap timer, turbo gauge, outside temperature and so on. The others should go also? Where does the nitpicking end? Do I understand your position correctly?

Well I’m going to the virtual track to earn more credits. Thanks. Bye for now.

The original tracks of Gran Turismo 1 and 2 are the best of any game I've played, bar none. I would like to see them remain in the series as I don't think track designs created fresh would be of the same standard.
I agree with this part. ;)

Honestly, if you want to kill Gran Turismo, do like Turn 10 did with Forza 5, and have some piddling number of cars and tracks with lots of gaps in both for the sake of quality over quantity. That's the first Forza I've had zero intent to buy, until whenever I decide on a whim to buy an XBone and racing wheel for once again, one game series. And most likely, it'll be for the Forza that should have been made to start with, F6 or 7.

However. If GT7 is a dream game for me, with a full blown Course Maker, Event Maker, Race Mod for many cars and a Livery Editor, then Forza, XBox and Microsoft will have to find a new home.

Simple question, did you like Gran Turismo 3?

~200 cars is still more than any other game that isn't Gran Turismo or an older Forza. It's more than enough for hours of enjoyment if the selection is good.

Graphics graphics graphics, graphics graphics-fo-faphics, fee-fi-fo-faphics...Graaaphics. Or something like that.

Hell NO I don't want to see any tracks removed from GT.

I don't want new tracks which are added to have poor quality graphics, and I would like to eventually see all tracks upgraded....but rememoved? Absolutely not.

In my opinion, the GT original tracks are very fun to drive. GVS, Autumn Ring, Deep Forest, Tokyo R246, and SSR5 are definitely amongst my favourite tracks in the game.

I'll never understand why, given the completely blank canvass that is the virtual world, people are so hung up on doing nothing but recreating real life. What happened to creativity and imagination? I think some of you need to grow down a little :lol:

Graphics graphics graphics, graphics graphics-fo-faphics, fee-fi-fo-faphics...Graaaphics. Or something like that.

Hell NO I don't want to see any tracks removed from GT.

I don't want new tracks which are added to have poor quality graphics, and I would like to eventually see all tracks upgraded....but rememoved? Absolutely not.

In my opinion, the GT original tracks are very fun to drive. GVS, Autumn Ring, Deep Forest, Tokyo R246, and SSR5 are definitely amongst my favourite tracks in the game.

I'll never understand why, given the completely blank canvass that is the virtual world, people are so hung up on doing nothing but recreating real life. What happened to creativity and imagination? I think some of you need to grow down a little :lol:
"Like" wasn`t anywhere near enough for my feelings about this post. VERY well said!👍👍👍👍

Put all the original content in a "GT7 Triple Signature Edition", along with some other tangible goodies maybe, slap on it a price tag of 300€. Rest assured all 500 copies will be sold. Rest assured all of GTP will complain its content is "Triple Signature" exclusive. Include the vintage cars and tracks for free in GT8. Rest assured all of GTP will complain a PS4 title contains PS1 quality content. Sell the GT franchise to EA, with the added bonus of GT9 being the first ever to include Porsches. Rest assured GTP will go nuclear because GT has become free-to-play. With the money earned from selling GT to EA develop a tabletop game: roll a dice to determine how many centimetres a model car can move each turn. The first to reach 30 centimetres wins. Call in an Arthouse game. Make it exclusive to Ascari Race Resort members. Have a giggle and enjoy the sunset.

I liked the updated feel they gave to High Speed Ring - from it being buried in a forest it has emerged next to an artificial lake complete with twin Bridges and a large dam.

Tracks and the surrounding area (and the sky!) is indeed more than half of the game.

If they could make every track dynamic in terms of lighting and weather for a 24 hours period... and maybe a few "time of the year" options. Or even a few Historical Throwback events. Less manicured off track areas.

Asphalt runoff - Gravel Traps - 70's era Catch Fencing - late 60's Armco Barriers - Oddly placed Straw Bails - Hedgerows and drain covers (Proper Nurburgring) Cast Iron Lamp posts and benches (Pau, Monte Carlo).
Style of Fans/Marshalls/ Pit lane mechanic gear (Complete with Optional Pipe or Woodbine wielding Fuel guy with a Milk Churn and a Funnel)/ Support vehicles (Nice 1960's Ambulance) Maybe a retro 80's Helicopter floating above the track for those birds eye view shots

Tracks could be made to feel older by tightening them up in terms of track width but opening up the radius of the corners themselves. A few more lumps and bumps and crests and dips were about in the past that have been shaved smooth for more delicate modern race cars...

Maybe some Anti Cutting kerbstones like they used to have at Silverstone...

Personally I think the problem here is nostalgia,and that's harming progression. A great deal of us have played the series for a long time, some of us since day one, and have liked the "original" tracks in each one. The problem is that because they're coming back for instalments on consoles that they were not originally designed for, they look poor by comparison with the purpose made models. (Also goes for the cars)
That's not the problem. The problem is putting in the detail work to make them look authentic. And one big problem PD has to overcome is the Japanese fixation on perfection. Race courses end up looking scruffy and abused, like a tank that's been out on the field, and very few tracks in Gran Turismo games look like their real world, real worn counterparts. PD needs to quit scrubbing their tracks clean. ;)

Another aspect of detail work are the... well, details. There are a lot of odds and ends in race locations, and PD simply needs to take the time to see what real race tracks have that theirs don't.

By the way, no one complained when we got Apricot Hill.

~200 cars is still more than any other game that isn't Gran Turismo or an older Forza. It's more than enough for hours of enjoyment if the selection is good.
The problem is that the selection isn't good enough.

First on GT3, yeah, I liked it, but I lamented how tiny the game seemed in comparison to GT2. I ended up doing a lot of tag teaming, going back and forth, because GT3 just wasn't good enough on its own. And I wanted it to be bigger in the worst way, because what was there was amazing for its day.

Now, about how awesome 200 cars can be. In my "Standards to keep" wishlist post, I have 200 some odd cars alone, all sports cars. This of course means the 150 some odd Premium sports cars aren't included, which of course I would want to be included. So that's roughly 350-plus cars right there. And I don't think you want me to remind you how many Standard cars are in my GT5 garage (1700-ish, most of them raced). :D

I want race cars, enough to stock just about every racing league from America's SCCA to Japan's Super GT. 200 race cars isn't going to cut it, unless we end up with a lot of two or three make fields. Or single make, yech, which I get to look forward to if/when I buy Project CARS.

People bandy about the numbers 550-650 in regard to GT7's Premium car list, and if that excludes duplicates and similar models, that would be good to provide a lot of variety. But I also want Kaz to blow the doors off of the racing side with some serious league racing representation in GT7, stuff like enough DTM cars to fill out a 16-24 car field. And ALMS, and BTCC, and WTCC, and Super GT 300 and 500, and the many FIA GT classes, and whatever I can get. That may be 500 cars right there. But wait, I want league appropriate tracks to race them on. Yeah, that all has to be modeled. But maybe Kaz has impressed SONY with the FIA partnership enough that the modeling team might grow some to accommodate this new workload. SONY was probably involved anyway, but I'm counting on this making Gran Turismo and Polyphony worth some extra investment. Maybe, we'll see.

What we will get, I don't know. But people keep saying around here, "Ask for stuff or we won't get it." So I'm asking. :D

Last edited:
Like with the standard cars, I really wish that PD would drop the older tracks and give them a makeover. I mean, I don't see why PD is so fixated on keeping the content so high up. Don't they remember how well Gran Turismo 3 did?

About standard cars, I've always said PD should take the ones that matter and turn them into premium with a proper cockpit view, and ditch the unneeded clones.

Tracks are a bit different, though. It's not like we have 20 different versions of High Speed Ring and 42 versions of Trial Mountain.
PD should improve the tracks that need improvement, not remove them. Personally, as much as I like the real tracks that have been added I'd love to see every original track from previous GT games in GT6 or in a future GT game.

I expect that courses from GT5 and GT6 will make it to GT7 completely unchanged (maybe some grass textures thrown in). PD really hates throwing out assets they spent months creating. This explains their attachment to the GT3/4 era cars.

I expect the GT7 tracks to look a million levels better. I expect the new cars to GT7 to look DriveClub levels of better. I expect the difference between those new cars and the GT5/6 cars to be extremely jarring. And we will get the same complaints about those cars that we get about the GT3/4 era cars.

We will notice the cars not equipped with adaptive tesselation a whole lot more because they will be constantly compared to whatever LaFerrari or Huracan or Mustang GT 5.0 that was built from the ground up for GT7.

And the same will apply to the tracks built from the ground up for GT7. This is one reason you should hope whatever you favorite track is doesn't end up in GT6. Because I can assure you, it will look like a GT6 track for along time, regardless of whether you are playing GT6 right now or GT7 2 years from now.
DriveClub.jpg

Every time you glance at a GT7-spec car/track, you will end up comparing it to the GT5/6 cars next to it in the same dealership or tracks in the arcade mode. The GT5/6 cars/tracks will become the new standard and the GT3/4 cars and tracks (like Twin Ring Motegi) will become an absolute eye sore for most.

Why OP, do I need to shell out $500 or more for a new wheel if the games are coded for them. My G27 works flawless now and I see it will continue that way into the foreseeable future.
If something's old but works fine, you throw it away? I'd hate to be your Grandparents.;):sly:

So once again people would rather have poor quality rather than nothing at all. I'm confused, this never happens with other games, it never happened with GT games before GT4. Why now are mixed quality GT games ok? When PS2 came around I doubt anyone was thinking "The next GT is sure to look amazing but I hope they include PS1 cars and tracks as well".

PD must love that they can half ass a game and get away with it, fans don't care and if someone does dare suggest a game should have consistent visuals they're told not to look at the bad bits, as if that solves the problem.

People seemingly don't want GT to move forward, they're happy to keep playing the same PS2 and PS3 game they already have. Personally I want a new game.

After playing Madden 25 on PS4 I agree I want more I don't want what EA did to Madden to happen to GT7 on PS4. Which is basically porting Madden 25 from PS3 upscaled looked like hot 🤬.

Honestly the people saying I don't pay attention to tracks I'm sorry maybe I'm alone, but there is this thing called Immersion playing GT now feels like watching paint dry on certain tracks.

Heck looking at that one picture on GTplanet main part of the site https://www.gtplanet.net/live-stream-gt-academy-national-finals-practice-races/ This was just pathetic where is the human element even F1 2012(haven't played in a minute though) made me feel more apart of the action than GT5 and especially GT6 ever did. At least environment of the track wise.

I still miss Grand Canyon coming around that final corner that one guy would run out of the way. Why have we gotten less of that and not more?

As others have mentioned Day/Night Cycle on at least 90% of the tracks offered with Weather on at least 70%

Last edited:

I'll Take 200 cars that aren't mostly of one region any day of the week. At least to GT3 credit you had something for everyone, or at that time it seemed like it.

At least then with 200-500 cars they could focus more on everything else. I'm starting to realize having too many cars may actually be a bad thing it was great at the time of GT4, but looking at that post GT4 it's been nothing, but bothersome. I'm just thinking of all wasted potential just to have 1440 cars in one game, or in GT5 and GT6 cases over 1000.

I'm in favour of an overhaul for the oldest tracks, and a touch up for the newest ones. Scenery, crowds, textures must all improve on everything, as well as effects.

Like the cars? What if I cannot stand the PS2 cars but like the less detailed tracks?

Respectfully, to me that’s being a hypocrite. Think of it this way: imagine your premium PS4 detailed car racing on a track with PS2 (or even PS1 for the whoa factor) quality. You would be ok with that? That doesn’t bother you on a PS4? If not, then why not have that standard car? Unless you drive in 3rd person or even roof cam, you’ll experience the track elements more than the car.

That's why the poll is worded that way. I want a commitment to your stance and decision. If standards content is bad then ALL standards are bad, cars and tracks. Do you still feel the same? Not you, you but you get the picture. You see the results and comments so far. I hope I explained myself well enough.:nervous:

I rather it look the best possible, rather than lose it, cars and tracks. I want to see all the tracks back, some old ones as well as new to the series. But if someone is so against standard cars, why not standard looking tracks? Because your afriad to lose the track selection or varaity? Crap is crap is crap. If you have a dozen donuts, 6 glazed cars and 6 jelly tracks, and they all look moldy, you can’t say “well the jelly’s are fine but those glazed no way.” That makes very little sense to me.

Same with the cars, dumping certain cars (whole dealerships) would frankly suck. Of course I (and I’m sure most here) would love to see those cars get the Jaguar XJR-9 treatment or at the very least cleaned up close to a PS3 like car model. An interior would be great, but there’s only so much time in the world. Plus why take anymore time away from a new cars being created.

Maybe Sony/PD should outsource the standard cars to be cleaned up, so they can focus on new quality cars. Also, for example the Mazda Miata’s already have an ‘89, ‘91 and ‘07 premium. Let those cars represent the Miata family and remove the standards that are not that significantly different from the three listed. Same goes for the Skylines, GT-R’s, Lancers, and so on. There your car count is more balance to the premiums, plus less of a chance to have 6 of the 16 cars being a standard clone. Just a thought.

Why OP, do I need to shell out $500 or more for a new wheel if the games are coded for them. My G27 works flawless now and I see it will continue that way into the foreseeable future.
If something's old but works fine, you throw it away? I'd hate to be your Grandparents.;):sly:

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply you have to buy a new wheel. My bad. My point for the wheel example was if you have a problem with the old, outdated content, you would also agree the old outdated wheels need to go. I thought they aren’t even console supported anymore, right? Newer is better. Of course I want the old wheels to work. I’m happy with my Driving Force GT and don’t need the latest and greatest (but wouldn’t mind it).

Oh and I love my Grandma (”G”). And she loves that I keep her car running well and get her out of jams with her computer.:)

But wait, I want league appropriate tracks to race them on. Yeah, that all has to be modeled. But maybe Kaz has impressed SONY with the FIA partnership enough that the modeling team might grow some to accommodate this new workload. SONY was probably involved anyway, but I'm counting on this making Gran Turismo and Polyphony worth some extra investment. Maybe, we'll see.

I see you're stilling hanging onto your idea that it's big bad Sony stopping PD from expanding, even though Kaz himself has said it's his choice, not to mention the evidence of other first party studios with lesser sales and smaller budgets having more store.

I'm in favour of an overhaul for the oldest tracks, and a touch up for the newest ones. Scenery, crowds, textures must all improve on everything, as well as effects.
That's my feeling too. Autumn Ring looks plenty good enough for me. The thing is this gets back to communication. If PD said, "we're keeping the older tracks for GT7 but over the next 24 months we're going to be updating them to Autumn Ring standards", I think most people would be ok with that, although there's the usual objections about promises from Kaz/PD. "Monthly DLC? I didnt say DLC, I said updates silly fans":lol:

Communication as to their intent with both standard cars and tracks would go a long way to resolving this. The hardcore fans don't care either way but Kaz/PD doesn't have to worry about appealing to them, they'll take anything with a GT label on the front. He should be worried about losing those fans that have been around for a while and the thought of standard cars and tracks will turn them off the game, or new casuals who will undoubtedly be swayed by reviews like, "GT7 isn't next gen, it's a mix of PS2, 3 and 4 assets". Stuff like that affects sales, there is no doubt. And when many GT fans will be facing the PS4+GT7 buying decision, it's even more important. I myself have gone from PS for life, to actually thinking of switching to PC or XBone for next gen.

I voted yes but only because the option to have the tracks updated isn't one of the options. Do not get rid of the tracks, update them. Do what they did with Apricot Hill. Never ever ever get rid of any tracks. Only improve upon the old version with updated graphics.

This game has 82 track layouts, but the only "standard" tracks are: Grand Valley (& East), Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, Circuit De La Sarthe 2005 (& no chicanes), Laguna Seca, Cote d'Azur and Tokyo R246. That's only 9 layouts that are truly PS2 standard, so updating them shouldn't take too much time. The rest have the extra time/weather features, were showed off in GT5P, or were new for GT5/6.

Last edited:
So once again people would rather have poor quality rather than nothing at all. I'm confused, this never happens with other games, it never happened with GT games before GT4. Why now are mixed quality GT games ok? When PS2 came around I doubt anyone was thinking "The next GT is sure to look amazing but I hope they include PS1 cars and tracks as well".

PD must love that they can half ass a game and get away with it, fans don't care and if someone does dare suggest a game should have consistent visuals they're told not to look at the bad bits, as if that solves the problem.

People seemingly don't want GT to move forward, they're happy to keep playing the same PS2 and PS3 game they already have. Personally I want a new game.

Because people have different priorities in a GT-game. If your priority is racing, you don't freeze-frame and then count the pixels, you race, and for that you don't necessarily need premium cars or so-called premium tracks. In a race I rarely have time to look at the scenery and I hardly ever take pictures, so that's less of a priority for people like me. I'd rather have the standard cars and tracks than not.

Latest Posts

Back