Fysho's Photos - Spirit of Gran Turismo (final update)

• Thread starter Fyshokid
  • 558 comments
Thanks a lot for all the comments! :)👍

Okay, this is a rather large update, but anyways, here's a few random shots I've taken over the past few days/week. First up is my PM tournament entry from this week, plus a pair of rejects. Afterwards are a few photos of my new drifter, a 370Z. The last of the 370Z photos is a little different (and somewhat badly executed). And then, yesterday, I took my RX-7 out for a few laps on the Nürburgring, and took a few pictures of that. I also ended up making a experimental video, which I thought turned out alright. I can't really be bothered making a new thread in the video section, so I'll just throw it in here :P

First up, the 2.0 PM tournament pics, I took.
Theme: "Close-up":

kyotogiongimp.jpg

kyotogion2gimp.jpg

trialmountaincircuitgim.jpg

trialmountaincircuit2gi.jpg

My drift 370Z:

trialmountaincircuit8gi.jpg

trialmountaincircuit12g.jpg

trialmountaincircuit15g.jpg

trialmountaincircuit18g.jpg

trialmountaincircuit19g.jpg

RX-7 @ Nürburgring:

nrburgring24h3gimp.jpg

nrburgring24h5gimpsuper.jpg

nrburgring24h11gimp.jpg

And finally, here's the video I made (the song contains a little language at the start, if that matters):

[YOUTUBEHD]Pf0TfOCrdxw[/YOUTUBEHD]​

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Here's my entry to the 2.0 photomode tournament this week, where the theme was "Contrasts". I took a lot of photos, but I ended up picking my very first photo. I'm not really sure if it was the right choice though, but anyways:

toscanatarmac1gimp2.jpg

Now for the rejects. I generally didn't like them as much as the one I entered, though now when I look back, I can see how they might have been a better choice, since they seem to follow the theme a bit better. It doesn't really matter though :P Also, thanks to SouthendRage for driving the Lamborghini in these shots!

nrburgring24h16gimp2.jpg

nrburgring24h18gimp.jpg

nrburgring24h38gimp.jpg

nrburgring24h39gimp.jpg

nrburgring24h40gimp.jpg

nrburgring24h49gimp.jpg

nrburgring24h52gimp.jpg

Also, the reason I only took shots from behind is because we both messed up our front ends :dunce:

Wow:drool: .. you don't hold back do you, I love the use of high contrast / saturation of your shots, very punchy and in your face.. gives them an 'artistic' feel. Voted for your 2.0 tournament shot BTW 👍

These are pictures I took for the 2.0 tournament Bronze match, which I ended up loosing, heh. I've been pretty busy lately, and I still am, so I don't really have time to write much about them...

toscanatarmac7gimplessd.jpg

toscanatarmac5gimp.jpg

toscanatarmac8fixedshad.jpg

toscanatarmac9gimp.jpg

toscanatarmac12gimp.jpg

All right, like most people, I've decided to make a Le Mans update, however, this one is a little different...

Two days after the real Le Mans ended (Tuesday, June 14), I decided to do the actual in-game Le Mans race. That's all 24 hours. I drove 4 and a half hours Tuesday night, then went to sleep, drove about 13 hours the next day, and then the final 6 and a half hours yesterday (Thursday, June 16). Anyways, I recorded all of it onto my hard drive (which weighed in at about 87 gb), and I've taken a few screenshots, which I wanted to post here. You know... to share my experience with you all.

I've divided it all up into the 24 sections (one for each hour), and at the start of each, I've included a little photomode photo, to make it just a little interesting. Since I obviously couldn't take photos from the actual race, I've instead driven a few laps afterwards, with accelerated time shift, and then taken some photos. I tried the best I could to match the time and weather with how it actually was in the race...

Well... Without further ado:

1st hour:

circuitdelasarthe2009gi.jpg

image1bso.png

And here we go!

image2dz.png

First lap almost completed. As you can see, it was a little cloudy, however it wasn't raining yet. I was hoping it'd stay this way, since I hate driving in rain. I'd even had to re-enter the race a few times, because it rained from the start. Unfortunately, not too long after, it started dripping...

image3jc.png

Four laps in, and you can see that it has now started raining a little (there's a little visible in the top of the screen. I still had plenty of grip, however it wouldn't be long before I had to pit in for new tires.

image4el.png

Before that though, I managed to set this 3:25 time. I didn't know it at the time, but this ended up being my fastest lap for little over 18 hours!

image5n.png

Lapping the slowest car for the first time. As you can see, it's still not raining that much yet...

image6t.png

My first half hour driven! Only 48 of these to go!

image7eb.png

image8oh.png

Pitting in for the first time. The rain is pretty easy to see now, however it's not really affecting lap times yet.

image9uv.png

That pit stop put me back in second place. I won it back not too long after though, when the leading car (Audi R8), pitted in. This exchange went on for a while, until I got far enough ahead.

image10u.png

I came in a little too hot here at Arnage, and the rain isn't exactly helping. It's about time to put on some tires better equipped for the weather...

image11j.png

Unfortunately, the rain tires ended up being a bad idea...

2nd hour:

circuitdelasarthe20093g.jpg

16 laps driven.

image12im.png

An hour in, and you could now start to see water spray when looking back.

image13a.png

It didn't even take me two laps to figure out that rain tires weren't very useful
yet...

image14z.png

This mistake put me all the way back on third place.

image15m.png

It wasn't much trouble catching up though. Here's me overtaking the previous second place car.

image16w.png

I still wasn't used to racing in the rain, and lost it in the Porsche curves. I've been used to pretty much just gunning it through there, though now, when it's raining, I really had to be careful and feather the throttle, to not spin out. It took me quite a while to get used to it...

image17r.png

The water spray from other cars is also incredibly frustrating sometimes, as it makes it hard to see where they're driving. This is especially irritating at night, when your headlights illuminate the spray, and makes it hard to see anything else as it almost blinds you (at least when it's close enough).

image18zg.png

Winning back 1st place, after having lost it, about five or six laps earlier.

image19n.png

Two laps later I'm already over one minute in front of the second place Audi, after he had pitted in.

image21f.png

Time for a pit stop! Re-fueling took forever! By now, it was also raining so much that I needed to use the rain tires. In the top right corner, you can see that all the lap times are above four minutes. This pretty much went on until the rain went away again, 15 hours later...

3rd hour:

circuitdelasarthe20094g.jpg

30 laps driven.

image22m.png

Two hours driven! Only 22 to go!

image23z.png

Here I spun the car around before the Ford chicane. By now, I had gotten really tired of the rain. I just wasn't used to it, so I lost control quite a few times, and it was really frustrating. I even almost quit, since it required more concentration than I was willing to use, however I decided to endure. They don't call it the hardest race in the world for nothing, after all.

4th hour:

mnotlosing.jpg

44 laps driven.

image24g.png

3 hours driven! In this screenshot you can see how the rain is causing me to do some involuntary drift action.

image26e.png

image27o.png

Lost 1st place again while in the pits. And while we're at it; I was kind of disappointed at how they didn't include "Le Mans style" pit stops, where the gas is pumped into the car, and not "dropped" from the can, and also where there's only two people to change all four tires. At least that was what I saw happened at this year's Le Mans. Changing tires took a long time, while re-fueling didn't take very long. It was the exact opposite in GT5 :boggled:

image28p.png

50th lap!

image29f.png

It's starting to get a little dark now, and you can already see how the illuminated water spray clouds make things a bit more complicated than they should be...

image30y.png

The water spray cloud from my car is also quite big. As you can see, my car has also gotten a few bumps and bruises...

Not only is it hard to judge how far away the car is, it's also hard to see where they're actually driving.

5th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200911j.jpg

57 laps driven.

image31te.png

I've only been driving for four hours, however it feels like I've been driving forever. By now I'm beginning to question whether or not this really was a good idea to begin with.

image32e.png

About to win back 1st place for the billionth time.

image33c.png

Here, I somehow managed to do a sub 4-minute lap in pouring rain. It probably involved a little "creative driving" in the Ford chicane :P

image34y.png

My car is getting more and more beat up.

6th hour:

sgettingdark.jpg

71 laps driven.

image35e.png

After 5 hours, darkness descends. It's the thing I've looked the most forward to, and also feared the most. It's always very interesting driving at night, though on the other hand, it can also be very tough and grueling. Needless to say, I was both very excited and very nervous...

image36e.png

13 minutes later it was completely dark. I was kinda surprised how fast it went. At first it's pretty bright, and you have no trouble seeing, and then 15 minutes later it is just dark.

image37g.png

It took a while to get adjusted to the darkness (like the rain wasn't enough). Here I missed my brake point at the end of the Mulsanne straight, and took a trip into the sandbox.

image38y.png

And a little in-car view. It amazes me how much detail PD put into the lighting. I absolutely love it! Makes the night a million more times bearable. Just looking at lights.

7th hour:

sgonnabealongnight.jpg

86 laps driven
Things went pretty slow in the night hours. Even after an hour of driving in the darkness, it felt like I had driven for very long time. Something told me that it was going to be a long night...

image39f.png

image40l.png

Here, six and a half hours into the race, a little over a quarter way done, I lap the second place car for the first time.

image41f.png

100th lap!

image42g.png

Here I've captured a screenshot while the 908's headlights are flashing (this was obviously taken in between two of the flashes). Quite a bit up ahead, you can see the lights from one of the opponent cars. This was one of those things that always made me gasp in amazement. It always just looked so epic, seeing a pair of taillights a kilometer or two away. I don't know if it's just me though...

8th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200918.jpg

99 laps driven.

This disappearing glitch took me by surprise while I was racing. I looked away from the screen for about a second, and when I looked back, the road had suddenly gone missing... Apart from this, nothing really happened in the 8th hour.

9th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200924b.jpg

113 laps driven.

image43g.png

8 hours driven! I'm one third of the way to victory!

By now, the rain is really starting to get on my nerves. I was very close to yelling at my screen a few times...

image44w.png

Some more in-car action.

image45m.png

Again, here you can see how the water spray obscures the view. Almost all of the road is blocked by a huge cloud of light! Combine this with the fact that I had to be very careful with my steering input, to not spin out, and you can probably imagine how frustrating it was sometimes. Especially when a car suddenly popped out of that cloud (which was usually the case).

10th hour:

tgoingtostopisit.jpg

127 laps driven.

image46gr.png

After nine hours, the side of the car had gotten pretty beat up.

image47o.png

Yet another reason why I couldn't take photomode pics from the actual race. It only records the first nine hours :rolleyes:

11th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200928.jpg

141 laps driven.

image48.png

Woo! double digit hours! I officially have no life. And I'm not even halfway!

Grr! By now the rain was driving me completely insane!

image49.png

Some more water spray. At least the opponent car moved to the side of the road this time.

image50j.png

Classy.

12th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200929.jpg

155 laps driven.

image51e.png

Just about to lap the second place car for the second time.

image52z.png

Okay, here's one of my more unfortunate situations where everything went wrong. For starters, it's completely dark, and the rain is pouring down. Also, it's the end of the Mulsanne straight and I've missed my braking point. Like that wasn't enough, it seems like there's a car in front of me...

image53r.png

Yup... At least I didn't hit-- Oh wait, there's one more. This isn't going to end well...

image54j.png

BAM!

image55j.png

I ended up taking the Pescarolo with me out in the sand trap, and I lost a ton of time (or, well... I cut the Ford chicane to make up for the lost time).

image56vp.png

That front end has seen some better times.

13th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200933.jpg

169 laps driven.

image57z.png

Who wants donuts?

image59u.png

For some reason, the AI always ran a little wide here.

image60p.png

When I saw this, I was overjoyous (is that a word?). If you look closely, you can see that the sky is slowly changing into a less dark shade of black :dopey:

image61x.png

And four minutes later... YEEEEEESSS!! I have endured the long night! It's still raining, but whatever. I can see again! Yes! Racing in the night really was an incredible experience, however, I still prefer racing in the daylight...

14th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200934i.jpg

182 laps driven.

image62r.png

Again. 13 hours driven, where about 8 of those hours were in darkness, and the sun is finally coming up again! Good morning! By now, I had a huuuuge grin on my face.

image63y.png

The AI running wide again.

image64.png

Here, just as I had lapped the second place Audi again, I got a little too enthusiastic coming into the Porsche curves, and ended up facing the wrong way. My tires were also completely fried.

15th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200937.jpg

196 laps driven.

image65y.png

Crossing the start/finish line for the 200th time!

image66y.png

The lighting is still cool, even in daylight. And I must also admit, as many problems as it's caused for me so far, the rain still looks pretty awesome.

image67.png

Some nice morning sunlight. I wish the clouds weren't there though. And the rain...

image68au.png

Pit time is message time!

16th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200939.jpg

210 laps driven.
By now, I really just want the race to be over with. I've gotten what I'd come for. A day-night-day race. It's been raining for pretty much the whole race. The interesting night time experience is now over, and it's day again. That was pretty much what I wanted to experience, and I did, but now I still have to drive for another nine hours?! Just kill me now...

image69.png

Lack of concentration made me lose the car at the Dunlop curves. Apart from this, nothing really happened in the 16th hour...

17th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200938.jpg

225 laps driven.
Wait. Forget what I said before. It looks like this race is just getting started!

image70i.png

16 hours driven, and it's still raining... But wait!

image71.png

When I saw this, I thought: "Wait... This can't be true. Is that really the rain dying down?" I figured it was probably just the sunlight making the rain hard to see, but just to make sure, I also took a look from the in-car view.

image72.png

"There's almost no rain on the front window..." :scared: "YEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!!" :D This was almost too good to be true! I'm pretty sure this was the song that went through my head at the time.

image73.png

Suddenly, I had no problem with the fact that I still had to race for nearly eight hours more! Now I could finally actually race.

image74b.png

Blue sky! Oh how beautiful you are. This whole hour was really just a morality boost hour. I had a huge smile on my face all the way through, and the next hour was almost even better!

18th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200940.jpg

240 laps driven.

image75.png

Now you can almost see the shadows of the trees.

image76d.png

And now the shadows are completely visible! I really, really deserved to see that sunlight after sooooo many hours of rain. Let me tell you; there isn't much that's more satisfying than that! This is also the first time I've become so happy by seeing shadows from trees.

image77q.png

Oh yes. Oh, YES! Now it's finally time to go racing! This is what I have been waiting for for 17 and a half hours!

image78.png

And on my first out lap, I set a new lap record :)

image79b.png

Now all the annoying water spray clouds were also gone! And you could also suddenly see how incredibly dirty the other cars had gotten overnight.

19th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200945o.jpg

256 laps driven.

image80k.png

I punished my new racing tires a little too hard on my first go, and completely annihilated them!

image81.png

And here I set the fastest lap of the entire 24 hours.

image82i.png

SLIPSTREEEEAAM! I got up to 405 km/h while slipstreaming the 3rd place Pescarolo.

image83s.png

I can't remember how those skidmarks, leading out towards the tire wall, got there, however every time I drove past, I was reminded of Alan McNish's crash.

20th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200950.jpg

273 laps driven.

On my way towards the Porsche curves, I lost concentration, went out onto the grass, and then this happened...

image84v.png

After 19 and a half hours (and a little crash), the whole left side of the car was pretty screwed up.

21st hour:

circuitdelasarthe200958.jpg

290 laps driven.

image85.png

20 hours driven! 2x no life combo!

image86.png

Aww... It's getting cloudy again. At least it's not raining.

image87k.png

Starting my 300th lap from the pits.

22nd hour:

circuitdelasarthe200954.jpg

306 laps driven.

image88m.png

Nothing much happened in the 22nd hour... Except that I came in too hot at Arnage once.

23rd hour:

circuitdelasarthe200960.jpg

323 laps driven.

image89.png

Lapping the second place car for the 5th or so time now. Ever since I put on the racing tires, I've been lapping the Audi quite consistently.

image90.png

Wow! That's a dirty Mercedes.

24th hour:

circuitdelasarthe200966.jpg

339 laps driven.

image91j.png

17 hours of rain. 6 hours of sunshine. 23 hours of racing. 1 hour to go!

image92x.png

Overtaking the R10 at 403 km/h.

image93.png

Going in for my very last pit stop! :crazy: Also, the sun had come out again for the final 40 minutes of the race. What a way to end it!

image95.png

Last lap! When I saw it was possible, I made sure to try to hit 355 laps, since that was the amount of laps the first and second place Audi and Peugeot, respectively, managed to drive last weekend.

image96.png

When I went in for my 355th lap though, I still had 8 minutes to go, so I just cruised at about 130-140 km/h through the whole track. It was sooooooooooooo satisfying. After having pushed the car to it's operational limits for nearly 24 hours. It was nice to just gear down and enjoy the scenery.

image97.png

Here, you can see I've driven the 355th lap for 3 minutes and 25 seconds, which is what it normally took for me to drive one lap. Here, I'm only at the end of the Mulsanne straight. Feels good man.

image98f.png

So many cars passing me. What's the hurry? :dopey:

image99.png

The second place car... Now only 5 laps behind me.

image100z.png

More cruisin'. Oh man, I've never enjoyed going slow this much before.

image101h.png

And the final chicane, with one minute to go... Hmmm...

The last minute...

circuitdelasarthe200969.jpg

354 laps driven. In one minute. That'll be 355.

image102e.png

Apparently, I wasn't going slow enough, so I still had some time to waste in front of the finish line. What better way to use that time than to make some celebratory donuts!

24hoursraced.png

And there we go! 24 hours raced! Well... 23 hours and 50 minutes. The rest was just cruising. Now, the only thing I had to was cross the finish line and I was done! I wanted to finish in style though, so I made a quick donut, and then a long burnout across the finish line! Epic ending to an absolutely epic race!​

Well, that's that. 24 hours in pictures, screenshots, and a couple of videos (and some text). First of all; I'm surprised if anyone actually reads all of it, and secondly; if you did, I hope you enjoyed it! For me, racing the 24 hours was really tough, really fun, and totally worth it! The 900 degree steering kinda ruined the illusion of actually driving a 908, but apart from that, I was amazed by the realism of it all. It felt pretty genuine. Now, all we need is proper pit stops, and a heck of a lot more cars and classes on the field! Also, since I recorded all of it, I'm planning on releasing a time lapse video of the entire 24 hours some time by the end of next week, so look forward to that!

Thanks for looking!

circuitdelasarthe200974.jpg

Last edited:
Incredible. It rained for about 17 hours :crazy:
That racing at night time with rain looked fun. :dopey:
Just wondering why you chose the 908 Race car. Don't get me wrong, it is a great car, but I am starting to consider doing some endurance races but don't know what car to choose.

By the way, I read the whole post. 👍

Thanks a lot for comments everyone! I appreciate it :D

Just wondering why you chose the 908 Race car. Don't get me wrong, it is a great car, but I am starting to consider doing some endurance races but don't know what car to choose.

Well, the only reason was because I wanted to use one of the premium Le Mans prototypes, and the Audi R10 didn't seem as fast as the 908. I also thought about using the 787B, but the last time I tried it out, I spun around quite a few times, so I just stuck to my 908 (which I had given a Turbo upgrade).

If you just want to use a fast car, I would suggest either the Audi R8 (the Le Mans car, not the road car :P ), Bentley Speed 8, or the Pescarolo. These were the cars I was having the most problems with while racing. Or, of course, the 787B. It's kinda hard to control though.

Cool stuff, I read it all and enjoyed it :D

17 hours of rain?? Damn!
I did the 24h race in february if I remember right, it rained for the last 6 hours and I absolutely hated it.

Which view did you use for driving?

well first of all , you drove 24 hours and then you view the replay for 24 hours ? -_- you sir rly love gt5

Which view did you use for driving?
Bumper cam. I like driving with the in-car view, however when you're going that fast at night while it's raining it can get kinda confusing at times :P

well first of all , you drove 24 hours and then you view the replay for 24 hours ? -_- you sir rly love gt5
Nah, I don't have that much endurance. I raced for 24 hours, yes, but the photos were taken afterwards from a replay with accelerated time shift (so 24 hours in the game only took 24 minutes in real life). I made sure to match the weather and time of day as good as I could with the actual race though, so it seemed like they were taken from the race :D

wow, thats the most beautiful update I've seen in a while!
I absolutely love how much effort you put in here. That needs some price for you (or at least a cookie :P)

I always thought of doing the exact same thing, but never found the time for it. And now, after seeing your set, I dont think I have to anymore. That is just perfectly done.....with so much love and passion.👍

Beautiful work Fysho:bowdown:

A very enjoyable read, thanks and congratulations to the victory! :cheers:
wow, thats the most beautiful update I've seen in a while!
I absolutely love how much effort you put in here. That needs some price for you (or at least a cookie :P)

I always thought of doing the exact same thing, but never found the time for it. And now, after seeing your set, I dont think I have to anymore. That is just perfectly done.....with so much love and passion.👍

Beautiful work Fysho:bowdown:
Thanks a lot for the nice words, both of you. Makes it all worth it :)👍

Alright, it's been quite a while since I last updated my gallery. The reason for that is because I was on a six week vacation to the US, and there, I didn't have much time to take photomode photos. I did take a few real life ones though, which I thought I'd share :P

These cars were found pretty much in the middle of nowhere, Texas.

sfrontgimp.jpg

4lamborghinigallardolp5.jpg

9randomfordgtpartsgimp.jpg

Anyways, with that out of the way, here is my first photo after returning home, which is my entry in this weeks 2.0 competition ("headlights").

specialstageroute56gimp.jpg

And finally, I got my Le Mans race rendered down from 24 hours to about 24 minutes: (don't mind the music)

No idea why you get so less responds here. Your last LeMans update is one of the best I've seen so far on GTP! If not THE best!
And the fast forward clip was truly amazing!

Keep up the good work, I really enjoy to watch in here from time to time:tup:
(I also enjoyed to watch your LeMans set the second time now ;))

Your massive Le mans story shoot thing is awesome. I loved reading all of it, makes me want to try it myself. I really like the shot for the 24th hour at 57 minutes to go :drool:, makes that corner look so much wider than it is. Congrats on actually completing Le mans mostly in rain 👍 :cheers:

Back