G25 Cockpits Lets See them!!

• Thread starter MoAK
  • 383 comments
Looking to see how you guys placed your G25 especially the 6spd shifter

half way through building mine, its going to be awesome though i still havent figured out exactly how i'm going to put the shifter on. will probably be finnished in a week or two, so'll i'll try to post some photos then

just bought 2 front buckets out of a VR4 for NZ$20 (about $10 american) and am going to start building when my G25 arrives...

This is my first stab at ever building a cockpit. Thanks for all the inspirational posts in the cheap cockpit topic. Feedbacks and opinions on how to make this better welcomed! :sly: :embarrassed:

The height and depth of the wheel platform are adjustable. The height goes from 20" (for a racing seat) to about 30" (regular office chair needs about 24") while horizontally it can slide out about 15" (for driving while sitting on the couch). I kept all my options open while I decide which chair I am going to purchase to go with this.

Attachments

• Cnv0090.jpg
    Cnv0090.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,094
  • Cnv0092.jpg
    Cnv0092.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,069
Feedback and opinions on how to make this better welcomed!

How stable is the platform the steering wheel and shifter sit on? Can't really tell what it's made of, perhaps PVC joints and aluminum or steel tubing? I'm quite the, uh, passionate racer, so I'd probably have that thing wiggling up and down and twisting all the time. Looks like it would be pretty easy to add a vertical bar somewhere in there. Of course, maybe it's more stable than I think; I still (unfortunately) use the regular PS2 controller

cockpit.JPG
cockpit with chair & G25.JPG
cockpit with chair & G25 2.JPG

hope those come up ok, haven't posted pics before.
its very solid, no twist or flex at all, and its almost exactly the same dimensions between the wheel, pedals, seat, shifter etc as in my own car (ford falcon) though it is alot lower to the ground.
all up it has cost me about $50AUS for the wood and probably another $40AUS for the paint, screws and other assorted crap. i've picked a very dark grey, almost black non shiny paint thats going to go in several coats when i have my next days off.
the seat came out of my old car, its hight adj.. slides back and forwards... all the regular stuff, its not bad but nothing special so i'm going to look for a big comfy leather seat out of a XR8, SS or something european when everything is finnished.
also some wheels or something to make it easier to move it around and a cupholder :)

that is one great cockpit ken!! i was thinking of doing the exact same thing including measurements from my own honda civic. although i was thinking of making a metal frame instead of a wooden one. did you do that yourself or did you have a carpenter do it?

i got my g25 last week and i used my couch as an alternative cockpit. here's a quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqIqf_Wuh-s

edit..... link doesnt seem to work for me... try copy pasting the url :)

Oh man, that is just awesome:crazy::drool: No doubt in my mind when the money is here, thats going to be my new wheel. What game was that?

that is one great cockpit ken!! i was thinking of doing the exact same thing including measurements from my own honda civic. although i was thinking of making a metal frame instead of a wooden one. did you do that yourself or did you have a carpenter do it?

thankyou, built it myself :) i'm normally completely hopeless at building things like this, but i think it came together great. i thought about metal, but i cant weld good enough (or at all) i was a little worried it wouldn't be sturdy enough using wood, so i put a few bracket things in it and that seems to work. i'm a pretty big guy and i dont think i'll have any problems with it.

After watching it again, and playing the demo, GTR2 it is. Thanks, I'm now decided on whats for christmas(for the next couple of years of course) :)

How stable is the platform the steering wheel and shifter sit on? Can't really tell what it's made of, perhaps PVC joints and aluminum or steel tubing? I'm quite the, uh, passionate racer, so I'd probably have that thing wiggling up and down and twisting all the time. Looks like it would be pretty easy to add a vertical bar somewhere in there. Of course, maybe it's more stable than I think; I still (unfortunately) use the regular PS2 controller

I am using steel tubing (EMT pipes of 1/2" and 3/4"). To make it stronger you can use 3/4" and 1" EMT pipes. It needed the vertical bars to begin with but since then I've reduced the horizontal length by about 6 more inches and now it's stable enough while driving.

I had 2 friends over to try it out and one of them actually almost removed the wheel from the platform and he said the cockpit itself was really steady while playing. I've screwed them on since then so that's not going to happen again ... :scared:. It will still move a bit when you deliberately shake it but while playing it does not move. No idea why.

I've also added some boards for the front and pedals to steady the sway of the cockpit. Here's some updated photos. I'm going to be making some more for some of my friends here based on this model, so I can improve it more. 💡 I'm actually more into making this cockpit for now than playing the game itself. :crazy:

Attachments

• Cnv0102.jpg
    Cnv0102.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 892
  • Cnv0101.jpg
    Cnv0101.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 702
  • Cnv0100.jpg
    Cnv0100.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,524
thats a nice setup you just need to make a little platform for the shifter and swap it to the right side lol

THAT'S WHAT IMMA TALKIN ABOUT!!

It makes a difference when it's mounted in the spot a real shifter would be in a car. Especially when you drive/drift a real 5sp car all the time.

the seperate shifter was the main reason i bought a G25 (along with the h-gate and clutch :) )
i didn't realise it was as good as it is untill afterwards.

THAT'S WHAT IMMA TALKIN ABOUT!!

It makes a difference when it's mounted in the spot a real shifter would be in a car. Especially when you drive/drift a real 5sp car all the time.

Yeah, it makes a world of difference, and drifting feels more natural. Only thing thats missing is a handbrake you can quickly yank to slide around a hairpin, but i think you can rig another controller up to have the handbrake press a button or something would do... ill try to work on that one.

Here you go gentlemen. What do you think?

Attachments

• updated POD.jpg
    updated POD.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,476
now all you need is a gforce generator, lol.

when i get a g25 (if i ever do) im going to do a full out cockpit. I like the way my dads mustangs setup is so im going to take measurements and base it off of that.

i really want the g25 but then theres the matter of the ps3, or benchpress, etc...... I really need to get a job, lol

anywawys, nice cockpits, i really like how that last one looks

Back