G27 learners who would like training.

• Thread starter SLaBaTaC
  • 150 comments
I'd rather wait for a realistic clutch lol.

Not going to happen lol.My advice is just simply while your in mid drift just put the clutch in and hold it in and see what the characteristics of your car will do.If it feels stable you should be able 2 up/down shift with ease,if not then you definatly need to reconfigure your LSD setup or your suspension setup.

im at +1 for the stiffer rear springs and braking sensitivity. i run mine on 20 or 30, depends on the car really, allows me heaps of time to shift gears. also backing off the throttle mid drift wont unsettle the car badly either. the spring rate is more how much grip you have. keep in mind, if you have the rear spring rate too low, and run out of power mid drift, (eg. if the corner opens up more) youll have the car grip, and itll then go straight and understeer off the track unless your quick enough to catch it. but at the same time, i dont agree with setting the rear spring rate too stiff, ull never get enough speed for corners, and watch every other car go past.

this is my opinion also. it helps for me. maybe not every1

If the game had a better graphics engine i would definatly play but they do not appeal 2 me one bit.The car sounds however are a beaut.

True GT5 has better graphics but rFactor has better physics & more tracks & tones of customisable cars & if we need any cars we get the car models from forza or any NSF game :D

Not going to happen lol.My advice is just simply while your in mid drift just put the clutch in and hold it in and see what the characteristics of your car will do.If it feels stable you should be able 2 up/down shift with ease,if not then you definatly need to reconfigure your LSD setup or your suspension setup.

But my point is we shouldn't have to lol. I was doing good with it but its still a ridiculous clutch on a game that is supposed to be a real driving simulator.

Reddee
But my point is we shouldn't have to lol. I was doing good with it but its still a ridiculous clutch on a game that is supposed to be a real driving simulator.

I hardly ever miss shift anymore.

Honestly it just takes practice. Also to be completely honest, I would rather the clutch be exactly how it is. Maybe instead of the pedal having to be fully pressed, it could engage at about half way.
As for how you can't power shift, I am completely fine with that, because there is not drive train damage.
It wouldn't be realistic if we can power shift without drive train damage. So I like the clutch the way it is.

I hardly ever miss shift anymore.

Honestly it just takes practice. Also to be completely honest, I would rather the clutch be exactly how it is. Maybe instead of the pedal having to be fully pressed, it could engage at about half way.
As for how you can't power shift, I am completely fine with that, because there is not drive train damage.
It wouldn't be realistic if we can power shift without drive train damage. So I like the clutch the way it is.

Iv power shifted a real car without getting drive chain damage lol. In fact iv drove a car with out a clutch and not got transmission damage. You just have to match the revs.

Last edited:
Had another three successful applicants requiring setups for their cars and they have been more than happy =) .If anyone could put up some feedback that would be greatly appreciated.

Had another three successful applicants requiring setups for their cars and they have been more than happy =) .If anyone could put up some feedback that would be greatly appreciated.

Hahahaha, I don't use your set-up anymore, It was good then but I found a tune that has more "my style" you probably saw it,anyway guys I have done a feedback a few pages back.

Thanks Slab.
SDC.

Hahahaha, I don't use your set-up anymore, It was good then but I found a tune that has more "my style" you probably saw it,anyway guys I have done a feedback a few pages back.

Thanks Slab.
SDC.

Good to hear you have acquired your own style of drift now.Lets see how you go on the track next time i am on :P

Good to hear you have acquired your own style of drift now.Lets see how you go on the track next time i am on :P

I still need to improve, But I am a lot better then I originally was, As you should of saw last night, I just need to work on entering and transactions and a little more on foot work, I seem to be have trouble going from one corner to swing straight into the next on trail mountain at that start bit. You will see my faults in drifting, When we are sliding. Then again, I could run. :lol:

AUSR33SKIDS
Could you teach me how to drift with a g27? i spin out at the first corner!
my psn is KALIB3R--niiinJa!

One thing that has helped me understand errors in drifting is the following.

Spin out- Too much throttle or not enough counter-steer

Straighten out- Too little throttle or too much counter-steer.

That saying is surprisingly helpful believe it or not. If you take the time to notice what you are doing, you can correct it. Also you can base your tunes off that too.

It takes a lot of practice, trust me. All you can do is practice, practice practice. You will eventually get more and more consistent.

If you are a beginner, take a S13 or FC RX7, then slowly build the car up. Take the time to adjust your suspension and LSD little by little. Play around with each setting, to figure out what everything does. Start small and keep it simple, work your way up to advanced settings.

Pretty much what lock2lock has said above and yes it does take lots of practice.I could send you setup which may help you on the wheel but alas im a very aggressive drifter.Im assuming you've not had much real life experience driving/drifting ?

How are guys using wheels able to floor the throttle to maintain a drift and exit so smoothly? I see so many videos of guys on youtube and stuff being able to use full gas and let the wheel countersteer by itself. But everytime I try to maintain a drift by using full gas I either lose too much speed dramatically or I fish tail and snap violently left and right especially coming out of a corner which ultimately results in my car hitting the wall. Am I the only one who has been trying for months to learn how to drift on a wheel and still can't get it down and always find myself going back to the controller just to drift or what? Either that or my G27 is just weird. I'm tired of trying and I think I've come to the point where I've completely given up :(

Im assuming you've not had much real life experience driving/drifting ?

Just to weigh in a little with that. I've been driving for about 6 years now (always owned rwd cars) and what I can honestly say is that I despise wheel drifting on GT! I don't know what it is but I just think it feels nothing like it could or even should for a simulator... I just can't get used to it at all! I can never judge when the car is gonna come back to me and straighten out or when it wants more angle.

Maybe it's just me. I know experience will play a part but I can't imagine it will play THAT much, not in my case anyway! I need to note as well, I can drift pretty well on LFS with no problems after a reasonable amount of practice!

How are guys using wheels able to floor the throttle to maintain a drift and exit so smoothly? I see so many videos of guys on youtube and stuff being able to use full gas and let the wheel countersteer by itself. But everytime I try to maintain a drift by using full gas I either lose too much speed dramatically or I fish tail and snap violently left and right especially coming out of a corner which ultimately results in my car hitting the wall. Am I the only one who has been trying for months to learn how to drift on a wheel and still can't get it down and always find myself going back to the controller just to drift or what? Either that or my G27 is just weird. I'm tired of trying and I think I've come to the point where I've completely given up :(

I usually ever use 40-80% throttle during a drift, only flooring it to initiate or when my car starts to straighten out.
Snapping back was a huge issue for me aswell, so I watched some of my replays and found out that I simply countersteered too much!
I recommend you to look at your own drifts and compare them to a video on youtube, it's actually pretty easy to tell what you're doing wrong when you get a 3rd person perspective of yourself.

It's also very important to center your wheel on exit, you'll usually fishtail all over the place on exit if you don't.

Yes do a few laps on the wheel and then watch ur replay and see when your counter steering whether or not ur doing so to late or to soon.another issue would obviously be the setup of your car,majority of it would be toe and camber aswell as the stiffness/softness of your car.

tuning will have alot on the way you drift. and on the steering wheel having a good initial tune will give you huge head start to learning. i found it helped with me heaps.

GTPLam. your claiming that you end up fishtailing and slamming into a wall. on your g27 are you using the clutch?? if the answers yes then i have a few tuning tips.

WARNING PERSONAL OPINIONS WRITEN BELOW! THESE ARE MY FINDINGS. THESE HAVE HELPED ME OUT ALOT AND MATCHES MY DRIFTING STYLE WONT ALWAYS HELP YOU. USE AT OWN RISK

Firstly LSD.
Initial Torque: 60
Acceleration: 60
Braking: 20
setting the initial torque to 60 i found to be really helpful as (in my opinion) it allows the drift to go on and on. the car wants to kick out. but i also found it to be really controllable. it seems to make the rear end much less responsive. or easier to manage. once you get better at controlling the car you can start to lower the initial torque.
acceleration io set to 60. you car make this number lower if your running large power, but you generally shouldnt need to touch it.
now braking sensitivity. 20??? yep. why? easy. if your using clutch, you have proberly found that when you change gears when its set to a high number, the car will try to grip and take off in the other direction. braking sensitivity determines how sensitive the car is when you back off the throttle. so setting it at a lower number will allow you to change gears or clutch, even just back off the throttle for a longer period of time.

suspension.
toe angles. easy. front. toe out gives you turn out response. toe in gives you turn in response! feel free to use large numbers if you have to. i find i get the drifting at a large angle, it starts to lose speed, oh s*** im now losing too much speed because i can bring it back. now try it again with a higher toe out. you might find the the car will understeer a little less on full lock as you have 1 wheel still gripping. it seems to work a little bit like extended steering lock. just remember you might have an awsum turn out, but turning in will be a b****.
rear toe. toe in equals drift exit speed. can be helpful if you just cant quite keep up. toe out will give you a much slower corner exit, but you will possibly find that you can hold much bigger drift angles.

spring rates. now this is BIG. the spring rate will be a major factor in how the car reacts with acceleration and deceleration. start with the front springs. find a number you like and leave the front springs set to that number. i suggest something under 10kg. start going higher and tracks like trial mountain and eiger norwand get REALLY tricky to drift. now set the rear to something similar. drift it. if you swap ends too quickly under power, lower the rear spring rate. if you find ur halfway through a corner back off just a little too much, raise the rear stiffness. keep trying the numbers untill you find that magic number that suits you.

gear ratios. completely up to you but heres what i think. keep them slightly lower. you dont generally need to do much more than 265km/h. generally munjis dont go much past 180km/h on comfort hards without major downforce. try to keep all separate gears over 1.000. falling below 1000 wil make the motor work harder to pull that particular gear. and feel free to change individual gears. maybe you like the gear ratios but you cant get that 1 large corner because you dont have the power to keep the wheels spinning round that bend. so bring that gear slightly closer. that corner is looking more achievable now!!!

Throttle control. your getting better. but it just doesnt feel right. chances are your not driving you car quite right. ever found an s bend with a straight in the middle, you like the gear your just fall short of the corner. take a look at your power range. this is pretty helpful. that is where you car makes its power. limiter bashing will infact slow your car down and "limit" its speed. but i bet if you let the car sit just off the redline with out it valve bouncing, you will gain a bit more speed. as start gaining speed whilst drifting slowly release the throttle trying to keep the revs at the same spot the whole time. the reason why you can continue to gain more speed whilst holding the same revs is because the spinning tyres are slowly catching grip. not enough to catch and make you swap ends or understeer, but enough to gain the necessary speed and really use that gear properly. chances are you will get through those tricky high speed corners better by backing off more.

Very well said TH137Z i have taught you well haha.The only other thing i could think of is the actual car he is learning to drift in ? If its a high powered / torqued car then thats half your problem there.I found learning in either the 350 / 370 Z cars are very good around the 350-450 hp range.

I could send a basic template of that cars setup if you like GTPLam and see how that goes for you as i have done so for many others and always had a positive outcome.

Sorry I just got back from work now I'm so eager to try all the advice everyone has given me here.

In regards to SlaBaTaC's question, I prefer drifting stock street cars somewhere in the range of 250-350HP but I wouldn't mind giving tuned cars a try. The way I see it is if I can drift just fine with an untuned stock car on a DS3 just fine, then I should be able to do so with a wheel. But it hasn't been the case so far and I've just been failing so much.

I can initiate a drift just fine and getting a car sideways with upsetting the rear and all, but when it comes down to maintaining the drift and exiting smoothly I'm completely stumped. If I get off the gas after I have started the drift my car whips into the opposite corner. If I get on the gas, my car usually makes a 360 u-turn causing me to crash into the apex. The longest I've ever held a drift on my G27 was like 2 seconds!

I'm so desperate right now I'll literally pay someone to come over to my house to teach/show me how to drift correctly haha I'm not joking. If you're from California let me know if you're interested.

GTPLam to me that does sound like the diff settings. try the initial torque at 60 so it rear isnt really twitchy. can also try lowering the braking sensitivity.
also, always keep the wheel moving. you cant keep the wheel held in 1 spot when your drifting, you will lose where the front wheels are. the forcefeed back will wont react properly.
you may also want to soften the rear suspension. if your putting the hammer down and its swapping ends try softening the rear a little.

GTPLam I know exactly how you feel, when I first got my g27 I was lost and when people from this forum offered to help it made a world of difference, CJDA9 and Kodi were much more helpful than they ever realised. If you would like to add me ill put in the time and give you a few different cars to try and when we find something that feels somewhat intuitive, we can tune it together to compliment your growing style.

In my opinion, the biggest contribution to progression is a good attitude and you obviously sound like you have that, i'm willing to put the time if you're keen.

Back