G27 learners who would like training.

• Thread starter SLaBaTaC
  • 150 comments
It's been a few weeks now and I'm slowing improving inch by inch but wanna thank everyone for being so helpful! I still feel like I have a long way to go though. Anyway I think I've found the main root to my problem when trying to maintain a drift. If you look at the video below @ 29:41, this is exactly what happens to my car right after I catch my steering wheel and get back on the gas. My car just makes a complete 360 u-turn from where it came from and crashes into the apex no matter how fast or how slow I enter the corner. I also notice if I look at my speedometer at this point, my speed drops down significantly even if I use full throttle. I can't raise my speed at all when my car is sideways no matter how much torque or HP I give to my car. It feels like someone cut off the throttle to my pedals or something. With a DS3 I can make the speed on my speedometer go up as much as I want even if my car is sideways but with my wheel it's like my speed just dies down even if I press my gas pedal all the way which goes back to me spinning in a u-turn towards the apex.

Gtplam, do you have tape on your steering wheel? Its odd to ask but I've told a few people to put a ring of tape on the top of the wheel when its at dead centre. Because you now know where dead centre is, you should never cross that line unless you want to transition. I haven't watched the video yet as my phone doesn't support it yet. Also, when trying to gain speed, it will always be harder on the wheel. On a ds3 you can just up shift and rely on the extra torque to speed you up, on the wheel though, your better off laying off the throttle more to get the rear wheels to grip. You will also need to utilize the torque curve of your car. I have noticed that letting the car limiter bash will actually slow you down badly. If you want an example go drift in auto.

Last edited:
It's been a few weeks now and I'm slowing improving inch by inch but wanna thank everyone for being so helpful! I still feel like I have a long way to go though. Anyway I think I've found the main root to my problem when trying to maintain a drift. If you look at the video below @ 29:41, this is exactly what happens to my car right after I catch my steering wheel and get back on the gas. My car just makes a complete 360 u-turn from where it came from and crashes into the apex no matter how fast or how slow I enter the corner. I also notice if I look at my speedometer at this point, my speed drops down significantly even if I use full throttle. I can't raise my speed at all when my car is sideways no matter how much torque or HP I give to my car. It feels like someone cut off the throttle to my pedals or something. With a DS3 I can make the speed on my speedometer go up as much as I want even if my car is sideways but with my wheel it's like my speed just dies down even if I press my gas pedal all the way which goes back to me spinning in a u-turn towards the apex.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI">YouTube Link</a>

It's all about throttle control too much gas will cause a spin/loss of speed too little will cause you to straighten. You need to be at the right rpm and have a balance between the two.

SpiritCrl_lsher
I have this issue with spinning out. It happens too often, I sure can kill it on the controller though [=

Try using MT and upshift the tranny of your car when it occurs. If not, try controlling the throttle. That should help your car to get it moving.

Here's some advice for those still struggling; Take your car to Test Gear track (or anything wide and open), do some doughnuts and slide around while holding it! This will let you really feel what you're doing. When you're done playing around and feel the slide, start a little counter steer, not much but enough for you to feel the resistance on your wheel. Keep adding more and more counter steer each time until you can hold a drift! THEN take it to the tracks!

Took me (and most people) nearly 6-7 months to get kinda good, keep at it! You'll never go back to DS3!

EDIT: When sliding and doing doughnuts, keep in ONE gear don't switch it (you're just feeling the resistance). I'd say 3rd gear to be safe, could go down to 2nd depending on tranny settings.

If You want an exemple After almost 3 Years , that's what It does!
Enjoy! & Keep it up , Drifters , Practice Will Get you better & Better , keep that in mind!

If You want an exemple After almost 3 Years , that's what It does!
Enjoy! & Keep it up , Drifters , Practice Will Get you better & Better , keep that in mind!

My eyes were glued to your front wheels, you were always spot on!
That's the cleanest drifting i've seen on GT5, ever.

My eyes were glued to your front wheels, you were always spot on!
That's the cleanest drifting i've seen on GT5, ever.

Thanks a lot Mate , Really Appreciated!
Been drifting since the beginning.It Explains a bit :P

hey guys, having alot of problems with drifting(even though I'm only playing with g27 for 2 days) With controller I drift decent, not great, but well, decent ;)

The problems I found:
- I start my drift well, but end up spinning my wheels too much and flip arround
- Sometimes I feel like I'm powersliding instead of drifting
- Not really sure what angle I should enter corners(if I focus on exiting corners I can drift, but not that much sideways(I dont go much sideways in general)
- Trouble figuring out what gear I should be in
- Trouble finding the right car, been using both Nissan Z34 '08 and Silvia S13 '90 and the right tunes(even after trying several tunes found on this forum)

Any help or tips would be highly apreciated, since I really want to learn how to drift like some people here.

Thanks in advance, anku

hey guys, having alot of problems with drifting(even though I'm only playing with g27 for 2 days) With controller I drift decent, not great, but well, decent ;)

The problems I found:
- I start my drift well, but end up spinning my wheels too much and flip arround
- Sometimes I feel like I'm powersliding instead of drifting
- Not really sure what angle I should enter corners(if I focus on exiting corners I can drift, but not that much sideways(I dont go much sideways in general)
- Trouble figuring out what gear I should be in
- Trouble finding the right car, been using both Nissan Z34 '08 and Silvia S13 '90 and the right tunes(even after trying several tunes found on this forum)

Any help or tips would be highly apreciated, since I really want to learn how to drift like some people here.

Thanks in advance, anku

I personally learnt in a S13, and found it easy at first, then realized, that after trying to go back to it, it was great difficulty, I can now drift very well thanks to slab partly and one of his good friends "TH" as I refer to him by, A lot of it has to do with the tune and foot control, Slab and TH could personally tell you about it as I am no pro, I still class myself in training with TH as my teacher.

Cheers SDC.

It does seem like the S13 is easier to control in turns, but not sure when I'm suposed to be in wich gear. Care to share your some tunes for it, aimed for a beginner ofc ;)

It does seem like the S13 is easier to control in turns, but not sure when I'm suposed to be in wich gear. Care to share your some tunes for it, aimed for a beginner ofc ;)

I can share a tune, But it possibly will be different to what these guys will show you, I think Slab runs a lower ffb were me and TH seem to run a higher.

EDIT: and they will probably turn you more towards the Z-chasis, But this will give you a start, for confidentiality reasons I will only give you personal set-ups that I have found good and many people have sent towards me.

I can share a tune, But it possibly will be different to what these guys will show you, I think Slab runs a lower ffb were me and TH seem to run a higher.

EDIT: and they will probably turn you more towards the Z-chasis, But this will give you a start, for confidentiality reasons I will only give you personal set-ups that I have found good and many people have sent towards me.

Currently running 6ffb, I tried lower ffb but it doesnt feel right

Update: had alot of practice this weekend, I manage to do some average drifting (11k on tsukuba, 12k on automn ring mini) However, I still feel that my car(BMW Z4 Coupe '08) does not go sideways the way it is in some drift movies on this forum. Further help with this issue would be apreciated.

Ankundum, You say its not going sideways enough for your liking. Is it understeering at all, or tries to grip in at all mid drift? Do you lose too much speed mid corner at all? I found camber to be a huge issue when it came to high speed corners and stability at high speeds, but in saying that, I don't run any, anymore. Alot of it will also come down to course knowledge, only certain corners can handle being taken with big angle. another thing you could try, although Im not sure if it will help, when countersteering, turning the front wheels back in into the corner slightly further may help with holding the angle for a bit longer. I tend to use it as a technique to slow the car down when chasing, but it'll only work very slightly, but it can be helpful. Do you tandem with people online much? It might help if you follow other people to find the lines they use, and speeds they do the corner at.

I find when I play online I can't keep up with people, my speed in corners is low compared to others. So I hardly practice online. I don't want to be in people's way either, as I'm sure it is pretty anoying

On a side-note, should I use my ebrake to go sideways when entering corners? Up intil now I'v just been counter steering into a corner using full throttle to start the slide

On a side-note, should I use my ebrake to go sideways when entering corners? Up intil now I'v just been counter steering into a corner using full throttle to start the slide

Variety is the spice of life 👍

Use whatever you deem necessary to start the drift. Various techniques can get you sliding at entry, all just a matter of practicing them :)

Sorry for the bump, just felt that adding something to Stavingo's post was far from a bad idea.

Mostly aimed at Ankundum, but useful for starting drifters overall:

It's not what you want to use really...
Drifting is a way of driving where people do whatever they need to keep the car sideways. Clutch-kicking, dirt-dropping, feinting...

When you understand that in specific sections you have to use a whole variety of techniques to actually keep the car sideways, you might realise that there is no best way to kick a drift, simply because every single situation is different.

When I'm doing my favourite section of the Nurburgring for example, I can do it 3 times, and all 3 times will be different when it comes to how the car reacts. For specific corners I know e-braking is the best, but in the end... It all comes down to 'What do I need to do to keep drifting'.

Hello!
I have my G27 for 2 months now and I decided to start drifting... I tried, I suck...

I have the following problems:
-) I can sometimes start a drift, but only very uncontrolled, so I often start to over steer in the middle of a corner
-) When I manage to start a drift, I always try to control it with the gas pedal and with countersteering (<- once I nearly de-mounted my G27 from the table :lol:), but I spin out every single time.

Do you have some tips? Help is really appreciated. Thanks!

Hello!
I have my G27 for 2 months now and I decided to start drifting... I tried, I suck...

I have the following problems:
-) I can sometimes start a drift, but only very uncontrolled, so I often start to over steer in the middle of a corner
-) When I manage to start a drift, I always try to control it with the gas pedal and with countersteering (<- once I nearly de-mounted my G27 from the table :lol:), but I spin out every single time.

Do you have some tips? Help is really appreciated. Thanks!
If your spinning out regularly you can try lowering the rear spring rate a little. Keep going till your happy with your progress. A good track to learn on is the S-Bends of High Speed Ring, just practice going back and forth till you get the hang of going sideways. And you don't always have to be sliding to enter the corner, specially when starting, just focus on maintaining a drift.

If your spinning out regularly you can try lowering the rear spring rate a little. Keep going till your happy with your progress. A good track to learn on is the S-Bends of High Speed Ring, just practice going back and forth till you get the hang of going sideways. And you don't always have to be sliding to enter the corner, specially when starting, just focus on maintaining a drift.
Ok... what I wanted to say with the first point is that I can't control when the drift starts...
Thanks for the fast answer!

EDIT: I think I will use a S13 for beginning...

Last edited:
It's just a matter of knowing the right lines, and on that track there are heaps of different lines

Yeah, i started learning on Madrid and i don't think it's all too bad.. 👍

@JDM SRE70, welcome to :gtplanet: 100, good to see you on here

Which also brings me to my next point, I've been drifting on controller for god knows how long and i got a Fanatec nearly 2 months ago now, i can drift with it, but not that great.. (I can link corners, not fluently though.. unless i've been at it for an hour or so...) I wouldn't mind having a hand with getting better, as i really can't find the motivation to keep learning especially seeing as though i can just use my DS3 :boggled:
But my plan was to start fresh on wheel with the release of GT6 so... some help wouldn't be too bad ;)
(PS3 is broken at the moment though... ugh)

Latest Posts

Back