G29 pedal mod users feedback

• Thread starter Mikyll
  • 85 comments
United States
United States
I know this has been discussed in a few other posts. But I still haven’t decided which route to take. There multiple methods of modding G29 pedals for better feel. I would like some feedback from some people who have actually done a mod to their G29 pedals. Which method did you use, and how much did it help?

I removed the built-in rubber piece from inside the brake pedal because it was very stiff for me/my setup to reach 100% brake pressure.
Then, I switched the normal standard brake spring by a progressive spring from GTEYE (google it).
The brake pedal is now softer than stock but also a bit progressive and not as loose as the G25/G27 brake pedal.
For more info check here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-must-have-upgrade-for-any-logitech-g-wheel-owner.279149/
I include many of my feedback in the last 3 or 4 pages.

It helps a lot. I would like a tad bit stiffer but between this now and stock Hulk brake pedal, I'll take those any day!

I just added the three GTEYE springs to my G27 petals and I love that the brakes feel more like a real car, progressive and more closely mirrors your natural mussel memory. It sounds like advertising bunk but after getting used to the different weight I really started driving smoother, the springs are harder than the G27 but it sounds like maybe softer than the G29 with the stock insert. It’s probably the best thing I could have done and highly recommended for G2X owners. http://www.gteye.com.au/products
They have a distribution location in Arizona I think so if you are in the US,shipping is quick, mine came in like 4 days.

I removed the built-in rubber piece from inside the brake pedal because it was very stiff for me/my setup to reach 100% brake pressure.
Then, I switched the normal standard brake spring by a progressive spring from GTEYE (google it).
The brake pedal is now softer than stock but also a bit progressive and not as loose as the G25/G27 brake pedal.
For more info check here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-must-have-upgrade-for-any-logitech-g-wheel-owner.279149/
I include many of my feedback in the last 3 or 4 pages.

It helps a lot. I would like a tad bit stiffer but between this now and stock Hulk brake pedal, I'll take those any day!

Thanks. I will def check out GTEYE. I feel I definitely want “something” in the brake. I still have the original rubber in there. I hate it but I’ve learned to deal with it. I’ve looked at 3DRap brake mods. Just want some feedback on all. Thanks!

I did the same as Georgeagea, stupid rubber bung out if brake and swap spring with a GTEYE one.

I *really* could not get on with the stock setup. It felt to me like there could be a pregnant concrete elephant standing on that pedal and it wouldn't register as fully depressed. I know that's not actually the case, but it felt like it.

Post-mod it's a lot better. Took a little while for me to get used to. Though I still need to differentiate between full down STOP and a smaller scrubbing of speed.

I haven't done any modifications to my G29 set up. Don't really plan on it either, I've had the G29 since March of '17 and I've already had to get it warrantied once through Logitech...Aaaand just in case my current wheel/pedals decides to give up the ghost, I would like to keep getting free replacements from Logitech.

They do have a good warranty program, got several replacement mice and a half dozen force feedback joysticks, although that kind of speaks to their QA. Their wheels do seem like higher quality though so it is definitely a recommended mod if you can pick up a spare pedal set or when the warranty expires.

As above, I took out the rubber brake block and swapped the spring for the GTEye version. Much improved things for me but would be very interested to read if anyone has tried the 3Drap inserts.

As above, I took out the rubber brake block and swapped the spring for the GTEye version. Much improved things for me but would be very interested to read if anyone has tried the 3Drap inserts.

I agree. I’m curious about 3DRap compared to GTEye

I feel like 3Drap will be better. Wish I knew about it before getting the GTEYE. It’s not bad by all means but I feel the 3Drap is a better solution. Maybe OP might consider it!?

3Drap also do an insert specifically for the GTEye progressive spring. Having already sprung for that spring, so to speak, that is the one I was particularly interested in :D.

I’ve just ordered a GTEYE spring too after a weeks worth of research. I also considered this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263460778587

But the reviews weren’t as conclusive and they cost more and take longer to arrive.

One main thing I considered is that I race in socks and prefer it, the 3drap mod pushes past that comfort zone, as does the NIXIM mod.

I’ll update when it arrives and I test it.

3Drap also do an insert specifically for the GTEye progressive spring. Having already sprung for that spring, so to speak, that is the one I was particularly interested in :D.
Care to share a link please?
Edit: ok found it. Thx anyways :)

Last edited:
I’ve just ordered a GTEYE spring too after a weeks worth of research. I also considered this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263460778587

But the reviews weren’t as conclusive and they cost more and take longer to arrive.

One main thing I considered is that I race in socks and prefer it, the 3drap mod pushes past that comfort zone, as does the NIXIM mod.

I’ll update when it arrives and I test it.
This is the 3Drap mod we are talking about man.

Definitely nice but not worth that much! If it was around 50 i would have gotten it. 130 is more expensive than the whole pedal set of my G29.

Oh it's worth it. Heavier springs are an absolute waste of money. You are still modulating brake "force" with pedal angle and travel. Why pay for something tries to mimic a real brake pedal(and fails to do so) when you can have a system that actually feels and works like a brake pedal.

A load cell modulates brake force with pressure. The first 10% is light spring force, then it's like hitting a wall(think hard brake pedal in real car) at this point you either press harder for more braking or less for less.

Well worth the money.

I’m not doubting if a load cell is good. I’m just not sure about it. In a real car you have the Gforce on your body that tells your foot exactly how much pressure to apply. But in a sim it’s all visual. Consistent sim braking relies a lot on muscle memory. I’m thinking a spring or rubber that increases pressure in stages may not be as realistic as a load cell, but may be easier for your brain and foot to remember exactly how much pressure is needed for X amount of brake. I don’t know. Just a thought I have. I just wish I could try them all or I wish there was a solid review by a legit driver comparing the various options.

I’m not doubting if a load cell is good. I’m just not sure about it. In a real car you have the Gforce on your body that tells your foot exactly how much pressure to apply. But in a sim it’s all visual. Consistent sim braking relies a lot on muscle memory. I’m thinking a spring or rubber that increases pressure in stages may not be as realistic as a load cell, but may be easier for your brain and foot to remember exactly how much pressure is needed for X amount of brake. I don’t know. Just a thought I have. I just wish I could try them all or I wish there was a solid review by a legit driver comparing the various options.

If you are in central/northern Michigan , you can come try mine if you would like.

I’m thinking a spring or rubber that increases pressure in stages may not be as realistic as a load cell, but may be easier for your brain and foot to remember exactly how much pressure is needed for X amount of brake.
It will definitely make it easier.

I bought the NIXIM V2 Brake & Clutch mod, & am very happy with it. Makes the brake much more progressive, better than the GTEYE I imagine as it has 3 stages instead of just two. Became a few tenths faster as well, as the brakes feel that more natural.

👍

Oh it's worth it. Heavier springs are an absolute waste of money. You are still modulating brake "force" with pedal angle and travel. Why pay for something tries to mimic a real brake pedal(and fails to do so) when you can have a system that actually feels and works like a brake pedal.

A load cell modulates brake force with pressure. The first 10% is light spring force, then it's like hitting a wall(think hard brake pedal in real car) at this point you either press harder for more braking or less for less.

Well worth the money.
Hitting a wall?!? No thanks! The stock brake pedal of the G29 (which is different from G25/27) is very heavy towards the end and I struggled massively with it. Won't be liking to get back to that!
But to each his own, and that's why there loads of options out there!

Just mounting the G25 pedals vertically made a huge difference to the feel of the brake pedal. Will be receiving the 3Drap brake mod soon as well.

Is the expensive loadcell mod from Ricmotech fully compatible with GT Sport? What about when using a G25 with Drive Hub?

Hitting a wall?!? No thanks! The stock brake pedal of the G29 (which is different from G25/27) is very heavy towards the end and I struggled massively with it. Won't be liking to get back to that!
But to each his own, and that's why there loads of options out there!

A stock pedal has several inches of travel ,your braking input is all about pedal travel and muscle memory. A pedal with the loadcell kit only has about 1/2 - 3/4 inch travel before you start hitting the hardness, at this point it's all about pressure and nothing about pedal travel. Push harder = more braking , just like IRL.

A stock pedal has several inches of travel ,your braking input is all about pedal travel and muscle memory. A pedal with the loadcell kit only has about 1/2 - 3/4 inch travel before you start hitting the hardness, at this point it's all about pressure and nothing about pedal travel. Push harder = more braking , just like IRL.

The difference is, in real life you have the feeling from your whole body to gauge it, g force, bumps slides, your body and muscle memory rely on it for braking (racing of course) effectiveness. In game, this aspect is removed and most normal none pro sim racers who don’t touch a track in real life will find it much easier to program their muscle travel memory rather than pressure.

Really it’s down to preference, but the cost of the load cell mod vs the springs or inserts takes it off the table for me.

As a temporary fix, I pulled the stock rubber out of the brake last night and filled the spring 90% full of semi-dense foam (Roll bar padding I had in the shop). I also put some inside the throttle spring but not nearly as much. For the brake, I packed the foam rather dense near the bottom and more loosely as I got toward the top. There was no science in this, I just looked at and thought "This might work". Lol
The brake is much better. I feel I can feather the brake much more consistently. The brake starts soft and gets very firm. I still have to apply a lot of pressure once I get past 60% brake, but it's not hitting a wall.
This is just a temporary experiment until I figure out if I want to purchase something.

Back