G29 pedal mod users feedback

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by Mikyll, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Sander 001

Sander 001

You never reported back:(

2. Timobkg

Timobkg

Actually, they did:

Sander 001 likes this.
  3. Outspacer

Outspacer

Fitting a resistor works well, but isn't something most people are confident about doing.

The alternative is fitting a shorter, more solid, bung. Wood sounds like a good choice.

Either way, there's still a curve in the firmware that can't be removed.

4. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

I want to get the GTEye spring for the throttle. Is everything fine with that?

5. Outspacer

Outspacer

Yep, no problems with throttle or clutch.

DesertPenguin likes this.
  6. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

If only they sold those two as a bundle. It's only single, Brake + Throttle, or all three.

7. Timobkg

Timobkg

Wow, thanks for the graph. That's really cool.

Had anyone tried the GTEYE spring with the rubber stopper? How does that work?

I'm okay with the rubber stopper from 50-100%, I just wish there was more progression from 0-50%.

Sander 001 likes this.
  8. Georgeagea

Georgeagea

You can find some thorough conversation in this thread. I was the first to mention that issue on the G29 (because the GTEYE is mainly a G25/G27 mod and the G29 brake pedal is different).
    Starting here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...for-any-logitech-g-wheel-owner.279149/page-13

EDIT: And yes I measured the travel dead-end and fitted a wood small cylinder of that length. Now the travel stops exactly where the brake reaches 100%.

andp132 and Outspacer like this.
  9. Outspacer

Outspacer

I haven't tried that combo but I think it wouldn't feel very different before you start feeling the rubber stopper. From the graph on GTEYE's site, it looks like it would be a bit stronger just before the stopper, but maybe not enough to be particularly noticable. Once you start feeling the stopper I think the stopper will dominate.

Georgeagea likes this.
  10. Georgeagea

Georgeagea

Exactly my thoughts that's why I never put the effort to try it.
    I removed the stopper, cut all of its edges longitudinally and some of its bottom part; estimated the needed wood cylinder to cover the loss in travel (to eliminate any deadzone) and put it all back together. So I run GTEYE brake spring with a very slimmed stopper, achieving 100% brake at nearly 50% of the brake force needed in stock pedals.
    I'm still not 100% content with it, but for now it does the job!

Outspacer likes this.
  11. Krypton78

Krypton78

I exchanged the brake spring with the clutch spring on my G29. I think its better to controll with travel then with pressure. And that is easier with lower force/ lighter spring.
    And I exhanged the whole clutch and brake units with each other. The brake is now on the left side, and its ergonomical far better

12. Timobkg

Timobkg

That just seems weird to me. Then again, I'm after realism, and having the clutch between the throttle and break would eliminate that - not to mention that my right leg is used to accelerating and braking while my left leg is used to operating the clutch from my actual car.

Georgeagea likes this.
  13. Krypton78

Krypton78

Maybe I should have mentioned that I don't use the clutch. I got the G29 few weeks ago and I use it only in GTS. I don't have the external shifting unit (don't know english name), so I use the sequentional shifting switches at the wheel. Then there is no use for clutch.

And I'm not the skinniest guy, so I don't like it when the brake is in the middle

14. Timobkg

Timobkg

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought you were using the clutch in the middle with the shifter. Sounds like you're left foot braking instead.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  15. Krypton78

Krypton78

Yep

16. Latosius

Latosius

After using the spring on its own for a few months I placed the rubber stopper back in, but, after a few hours, I decided to cut 2mm off the top of the rubber stopper and try it, it made a considerable difference and improved the feel greatly.

It also removed the unrealistic 80% travel issue in F1

Georgeagea likes this.
  17. Bren_Daddy

Bren_Daddy

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for budget options to make my g920 pedals feel better as well. I was thinking about, as well as saw someone on the fist page mention buying the GTEYE brake spring and then putting the old brake spring in the clutch and clutch spring into the throttle. What are you guys' thoughts on this. In all honesty I find 30$ to be too much just for one spring let alone 70+ USD for all three pedals. Also, I think that the throttle is wayyy too soft and it's completely linear which bothers me. Is the brake spring really as good as every says it is? I'd like to weigh my options here but it doesn't seem like theres more than 2 lol

VBR likes this.
  18. VBR

VBR Premium

@Bren_Daddy - Personally I'd go for the NIXIM V2 Brake Mod over the GTEYE. NIXIM is 3 stage whereas GTEYE is only 2 stage. Nixim also do a 2 stage clutch spring.

19. Timobkg

Timobkg

The throttle is supposed to be completely linear, but I can see your concern about the default spring being too soft. The GTEye throttle spring is strictly stiffer than the default spring (37N of force compared to 23N), so that may be a good solution.

I think putting the clutch spring into the throttle would make the throttle too stiff. The default Logitech throttle maxes out at ~24N of force. The clutch spring maxes out at 90N. I think that would cause fatigue and discomfort. But it partly depends on how you drive. If you're barefoot or wearing socks, it's likely to be too strong. But if you're wearing shoes, it may be okay.

You may save some money on the GTEye by going through eBay. And if the throttle is the main issue, you could just buy that spring. It's certainly a lot to spend on an upgrade compared to the base price of the set, but sim hardware is on an exponential price scale. The next upgrade up from a new spring is a load cell - which is much better as it would accurately simulate a real brake pedal and let you brake based on force rather than distance, but also comes in at $130 for the pedal and another $40 for the Leo Bodnar cable to get around the built in limit to account for the rubber stopper in the G29/G920.

20. Georgeagea

Georgeagea

Also, to add to what ^Timobkg said, if the throttle is the main issue, I opened the pedal, reached the string and put some offset plastic piece to pre-compress the pedal a bit when it's at rest. This makes the throttle a tiny bit stiffer. Nothing like the clutch pedal spring, which I tried by the way, and indeed felt too strong and causing me fatigue on the long runs/straights.
    Use anything like this: https://www.3drap.it/product/throttle-pedal-mod-preloading-logitech-g25-g27-g29/
    I cut a plastic cap to this shape.
    Oh and check 3Drap website they have some nice stuff: https://www.3drap.it/logi-mods/

21. Armageddon99

Armageddon99

I have g29 I bought the 3D rap rally mod. when I put it in with original brake spring it was far too stiff. it felt nothing like a brake and was pretty much unusable and the games unplayable.
    However I decided to switch the springs around to see how it felt.
    I switched the clutch to the accelerator which was the best thing ive did with this mod.
    I switched the brake to the clutch and it actually feels more realistic as a clutch.
    I used the accelerator spring for the brake. the spring is very soft but with the rap mod it becomes half decent. it almost feels similar to a brake pedal but it doesn't have much movement in the pedal. it also requires a lot more pressure than a real car but they are similar in that they require a significant increase in pressure to get more braking. I think the g29 pedal is likely not as responsive as a real car, well its not but its also possible that brakes in sports cars require a lot more pressure from the foot because they stop the car quicker. so for the moment ive deceided to leave it as it is.
    I think its completely been a game changer for dirt rally because now I can drift around corners a lot easier because I have better control of the throttle and obviously the brake. so its definitely a good modification for the g29 but I have been tempted to cut it down in size because I think it might feel more realistic if the the little plastic insert was a bit smaller but not sure how much smaller but afraid to cut it incase I ruin it.

22. AfxTwn

AfxTwn

I've just bought the Nixim Brake Pedal Mod Spring (with rubber bush) and a set of GTEye springs (clutch, brake and throttle) for my G920 but I'm wondering whether to just use the GTEye springs only for all pedals or a combination of the GTEye pedals for clutch and throttle but the Nixim spring for brakes?

Also, when I install the springs, should I use the Nixim rubber bushing piece (either with the Nixim spring itself or with the GTEye brake spring), the default Logitech rubber bushing or leave out the rubber piece all together?

Thanks for any advice.

23. VBR

VBR Premium

@AfxTwn - The GTEye is designed to be used without a rubber stopper, & the G920 brake spring is designed to be used with one. The NIXIM brake spring is designed to be used with it's own stopper, so, I would use it just like that. I have the NIXIM V2 brake mod & installed it with the rubber stopper, & have to say that I absolutely love it.

:tup:

24. AfxTwn

AfxTwn

Ah, so a combination of the two mods then? Nixim for brakes with it's own rubber stopper and then the GTEye springs for clutch and throttle.

Thanks for the clarification.

VBR likes this.
  25. fajfer77jr

fajfer77jr

I recently removed rubber from braking pedal and replaced spring to stiffer one which of course left me with dead zone after around 75% of the pedal way, not nice if I play GT Sport and there is no way to recalibrate pedals.
    As I want to utilize whole physical way of braking pedal I also modded those plastic 'gears' which moving potenciometer and finally can use brake pedal on it's full way down.

26. FitzyWATP

FitzyWATP

Removed the brake mod,

Moved the clutch spring to the brake pedal.

The brake spring to the accelerator.

And the Accelerator spring to the clutch.

Much prefer it without the brake mod and with the stiffer brake and accelerator pedals.