Game of Thrones - Caution: contains spoilers & dragonsTV 

• Thread starter Villain
  • 862 comments
I don't remember the show saying that Dany was unfit to rule because she couldn't have children, or saying that Bran's main qualification was a lack of ability to produce offspring. In fact Sansa brought up his infertility as a problem.

Dany's entire claim to the throne was based on birthright. Her whole character was predicated on her superiority over others. Bran had no claim to the throne. He was merely chosen as a means to keep the peace. Ultimately the show rejected Dany's entire arc as flawed, and for good reason. Tyrion supported Dany's worldview, that you rule by birthright, because you were born powerful (and have dragons), and that the world needed a benevolent power-born person to rule. And Tyrion saw one problem with that, which was what happens when that person dies.

But Tyrion made a mistake, and the show is acknowledging that and rejecting birthright, power, and the desire to rule.

Edit:

That complaint is literally just "the show changed its mind" (which it did) and because it changed its mind in favor of a person with the genitalia I do not prefer, I don't like it. Such crap.
Actually that’s not accurate there is a whole subplot about how her succession will be an issue because of her inability to have children... with Bran it’s like ‘meh’

D&D can’t write women, Sansa earlia in this season said she was glad she got raped and abused...

Actually that’s not accurate there is a whole subplot about how her succession will be an issue because of her inability to have children... with Bran it’s like ‘meh’

...because ruling based on bloodline and inheritable superiority is a recipe for a tyrant? Which was the whole point?

Edit: And yes it is accurate to say that Dany's claim to the throne was not contingent on having children.

D&D can’t write women, Sansa earlia in this season said she was glad she got raped and abused...

Which is a misunderstanding of that line, and another of the big themes of the show. Sansa refuses to be victimized by her past.

Which is a misunderstanding of that line, and another of the big themes of the show. Sansa refuses to be victimized by her past.

No, she’s not victimised by her abuse and rape, she’s glad of it for making her the strong woman she is now.... like without she couldn’t be a strong woman. It’s absurd.

...because ruling based on bloodline and inheritable superiority is a recipe for a tyrant? Which was the whole point?

Edit: And yes it is accurate to say that Dany's claim to the throne was not contingent on having children.

So which one is it? Either it’s a problem, or it’s not. If it’s not a problem then why was Tyron so upset and worried about with Danny?

I thought The Great Wall was destroyed by the Night King in S7? Did they rebuilt it over a fortnight or something?

I feel somewhat indifferent about the ending. It's all been about the Targaryens since the start, and at the very end they both receive the worst endings. I guess I was being too optimistic thinking that Dany was in fact like her brother Raegar, and Jon leaving the North to Sansa to rule.

Don't know, it feels so rushed all into a single season of 6 episodes. There's too much change between each episode for it to make any sense. Now that it's over, I feel kind of sad it had to go with such a rubbish final season. But that makes re-watching the first 4 seasons all the more fun.

I thought The Great Wall was destroyed by the Night King in S7? Did they rebuilt it over a fortnight or something?

I feel somewhat indifferent about the ending. It's all been about the Targaryens since the start, and at the very end they both receive the worst endings. I guess I was being too optimistic thinking that Dany was in fact like her brother Raegar, and Jon leaving the North to Sansa to rule.

Don't know, it feels so rushed all into a single season of 6 episodes. There's too much change between each episode for it to make any sense. Now that it's over, I feel kind of sad it had to go with such a rubbish final season. But that makes re-watching the first 4 seasons all the more fun.
The Wall is about 300 miles long. The Night King destroyed a section near Eastwatch Castle. Jon has returned to Castle Black near the middle of the Wall, where it is unbroken. Did you notice the green shoot coming from the snow as Jon and Tormund led Free Folk back to their lands?

The more I think about the ending the more I like it. All previous regimes in Westeros have been plagued by corruption and evil heirs from the few good kings. Electing a benevolent and wise ruler such as Bran who doesn't lust for power holds the promise of a Westerosi Spring.

No, she’s not victimised by her abuse and rape, she’s glad of it for making her the strong woman she is now.... like without she couldn’t be a strong woman. It’s absurd.

No she's not. And yes that is absurd, and obviously not the meaning of her statement.

So which one is it? Either it’s a problem, or it’s not. If it’s not a problem then why was Tyron so upset and worried about with Danny?

It was seen as a problem for her bloodline-based rule, and it wasn't a determining factor.

Jon Snow was the only person in the show who knew exactly how it feels to be murdered by the people you trusted.

Sunday night HBO aired a two hour look back at the making of season 8 called "Game Of Thrones: The Last Watch". It's pretty good if you can catch it on replay.

My wife was telling me about a theory she read online. It would be interesting if true.

What if Drogon was flying Dany back to Volantis so that the other red priestess could bring her back? If the Lord of Light was willing obviously. This might be why Bran was concerned with Drogon's whereabouts at the council meeting.

My wife was telling me about a theory she read online. It would be interesting if true.

What if Drogon was flying Dany back to Volantis so that the other red priestess could bring her back? If the Lord of Light was willing obviously. This might be why Bran was concerned with Drogon's whereabouts at the council meeting.

Not actually the dirt-worst theory.
Personally, I'd have him fly further on towards Asshai just so I can justify my "Yi Ti is the westernmost part of the show" spinoff.

Drogon was taking her to the children of the forest so they could make her into the Night Queen.

Bit late in watching it all, but now that I have... What utter complete garbage. Obviously, spoilers ahead!

The first two episodes are just kind of meh. They're not offensively bad, but there's nothing interesting about them either. Episode 3 is where it truly falls a part. The army of the dead... The big scary end of the world calamity encroaching on Winterfell and the living. Well, it turns out that they are only dangerous when the script needs them to be. Sometimes, they're capable of killing thousands within a few minutes, if not less than a minute, and other times, they cannot kill even a single exhausted individual whom they have surrounded and in even more time. Given that the characters know that the Knight King is the only way you can truly defeat them, it's rather strange that they didn't actually attempt to seek him out before the battle even started. Instead, they wait for the dead to find them, and then throw their best fighters into a melee with an enemy they literally cannot defeat.

Not that it matters, because once the battle is over, the Dothraki, Unsullied and Northmen are virtually undiminished in actual size and power, despite what the shown battle would have you believe. In fact, you could've removed the battle, and indeed the white walker arc in its entirety, and the outcome would've been the same. Nothing in episode 3 made any sense. It's nothing but characters teleporting to where the script wants them to be, with no coherent narrative being maintained. Aside from the visuals, there isn't a single positive thing to say about episode 3.

Then they go to Dragonstone. Their blatant disregard of the possibility of the Greyjoy fleet awaiting them is almost as astounding as the fleet failing to simply shoot down both dragons right away and their failure to just outright eliminate the entire Dragonstone contingent. They can hit one dragon with pin point accuracy three times from a moving ship at extreme ranges, but there is nothing they can do against plot armor I guess. And then they just kind of leave for no reason. And just as the undead army went from being an extreme threat one moment to entirely useless the next, the anti dragon crossbows fail to present any threat what so ever in the last battle. Consistency be damned.

And how could anyone for even one second be surprised by Dany's ultimate actions? The show hasn't exactly been subtle with her pyromaniac tendencies, and her being an entitled and enormously self righteous ass. I found the love story between her and Jon to be as contrived as the come, which in turn meant that the conflict between love and duty so to speak fell entirely flat for me.

I certainly didn't harbor any illusions of the final season being as good as the first four, but for it to be the worst out of all the seasons, throwing all logic and consistency out the window, is just amazing. The first season I will not be acquiring on Blu-Ray. Such an unsatisfying ending to what used to be a phenomenal show. It's amazing to me that in spite of the show having so many characters whom I've cared about for so many years, I felt indifferent at best, and outright annoyed at worst throughout the entire season. To me, that perfectly illustrates how the season failed.

Last edited:
It's questionable if any Children of the Forest were still alive at the time, and if they were , they'd be north of the Wall. Drogon flew east, toward Dragonstone and Essos. GRRM has written nothing about the Children resurrecting the dead, nor has he even begun Dream of Spring. So speculation about what comes after something he has never written is merely speculative. I might as well guess he flew to Dragonstone, and ate her, or to Meereen for Darrio to bury, or to a broken tower in old Valyria for excarnation. But Dragons are smart, as we saw when Drogon burned the throne and not Jon. But his intentions must for now remain inscrutable.

@Jawehawk Some day far into the future, after A Song of Ice and Fire is finished, another production will be mounted to reprise the entire fantasy in a whole new series. Then we - or our heirs - will have have the proper story

It's questionable if any Children of the Forest were still alive at the time, and if they were , they'd be north of the Wall. Drogon flew east, toward Dragonstone and Essos. GRRM has written nothing about the Children resurrecting the dead, nor has he even begun Dream of Spring. So speculation about what comes after something he has never written is speculative. I might as well guess he flew to Dragonstone, and ate her, or to Meereen for Darrio to bury, or to a broken tower in old Valyria for excarnation. But Dragons are smart, as we saw when Drogon burned the throne and not Jon. But his intentions must for now remain inscrutable.

@Jawehawk Some day far into the future, after A Song of Ice and Fire is finished, another production will be mounted to reprise the entire fantasy in a whole new series. Then we - or our heirs - will have have the proper story

Can they then just start where season 4 left off? :lol:

I know there's a disagreement on where the show started its decline. I suspect book readers felt it went downhill after 3, where as people who only watched the show felt it was after 4. Personally, I adore the first four seasons. Five was bad, six was so-so, and I thought seven was an ok return to form. Certainly not as good as it used to be, but the setup for the finale was decent at least. And then season 8.... Oh god.....

Oh man, I remember Trogdor burninating the peasants. Memories...

fc,550x550,baby_blue.jpg

The utter confusion when you enter a thread on GTP and the Benny Hill Theme starts auto-playing with you not knowing where it is coming from :lol:
And yes, fun video 👍

Are the prequels based off of books by the creator? Most of the backlash stems from the writers needing to create content that had not been published. If there are books to base the new show off of there shouldn't be the same issues.

Are the prequels based off of books by the creator? Most of the backlash stems from the writers needing to create content that had not been published. If there are books to base the new show off of there shouldn't be the same issues.
The prequels are all based off books authored or co-authored by GRRM. On one of them he employed researchers/co-authors, but all of the source books were were his creations, his stories, and bear his approval. But TV/Hollywood politics and economics are beyond my ken. No telling what may eventuate. But where there is a paying audience, surely the industry must follow.

Just finished watching this the other night. Lol at feminists going ape over Danny. As if there were no signs she could easily be a tyrant. Pretty disappointing end.

In other news, John Snow use to drink in my brothers bar. Use to leave his horse outside though. I also had a drink with his dad last week in the country pub. Didn't want to ask him about his son though.

Just finished watching this the other night. Lol at feminists going ape over Danny. As if there were no signs she could easily be a tyrant. Pretty disappointing end.

In other news, John Snow use to drink in my brothers bar. Use to leave his horse outside though. I also had a drink with his dad last week in the country pub. Didn't want to ask him about his son though.
I thought his son checked in to rehab

Latest Posts

Back