GDII's SW20 MR2

• Thread starter GDII
  • 777 comments
Cool man I normally don't go for bling items (except for the oil cap which I have exactly the same one, but that was mainly because my plastic one was too hard to remove) but in your case I like it as you are keeping with tasteful OEM or TRD stuff. Fits well.

I found what this plug is possibly for. It might be for the Car Phone connection based on a google translate of a 1989 JDM SW20 manual my wife bought for me. More on that later.

It's up above the drivers (RHD) foot well by the fuse box and it has 4 pins. These I am certain of as it's in English but what it's for I am not quite.

B+ (12V Constant power)
IG+ (Switched power when the ignition is turned to the ON position)
ACC (Switched power when the ignition is turned to the ACC position)
Ground

SW20 MR2 switched power plug.jpg

http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=211120&cartype=3&fig=8615
Looking at the parts diagram though the phone was only available for the GEN2 car so maybe it's not. The other text does say it's for a 'Service Attachment' so who knows.

Last edited:
I found what this plug is possibly for. It might be for the Car Phone connection based on a google translate of a 1989 JDM SW20 manual my wife bought for me. More on that later.

It's up above the drivers (RHD) foot well by the fuse box and it has 4 pins. These I am certain of as it's in English but what it's for I am not quite.

B+ (12V Constant power)
Ground

View attachment 661008

http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=211120&cartype=3&fig=8615
Looking at the parts diagram though the phone was only available for the GEN2 car so maybe it's not. The other text does say it's for a 'Service Attachment' so who knows.
Handy plug to have, a large number of common devices require those connections.

Handy plug to have, a large number of common devices require those connections.
Yes you are right and they have big spade connectors so I can just wire in anything to any of the 4 pins. I'll do some testing first before I try anything like that though just to ensure it is what it is or my car actually operates as it says. The information does come directly from the JDM manual so it should work. The USDM wiring diagram I have doesn't have this plug. Not sure what I would plug into it yet as everything inside the car is mostly stock. Maybe when I start doing other things it might come in use. I also have another plug that seems to be connected to the lighting system and it's located on the right side under the steering wheel. I need a proper JDM wiring diagram to figure these ones out. The USDM one is great but there are a lot of things that do not match or exist in my car. The JDM G-Limited is a mismash of the USDM 3SGTE and 5SFE cars so you need to pick and choose what diagram to use.

It's not a 'test plug'/diagnostics? Fuel injected pre-OBD cars have a plug you can short, the CEL will flash a given number of times indicating a fault.

It's not a 'test plug'/diagnostics? Fuel injected pre-OBD cars have a plug you can short, the CEL will flash a given number of times indicating a fault.
Not it's definitely not the OBD as that is in the engine bay and connected to the ECU. I'd need someone who can translate Japanese to confirm exactly what the text around it is saying but the 4 pins are noted in English so I know they are pretty much power and ground. What the translation to 'Service Attachment' means, it could be anything.

More TRD you say? How about some SARD too?

A gift from my brother for my birthday, a TRDXSARD Hardcase toolbox.
In turn I bought him a Fuji Heavy Industries Aerospace Division Carbon Fibre strut brace for his 1 of 1000 Ver6 WRX RA Limited, cleaned it up and polished and waxed it. Came out looking great. Photos are the bottom.

DSCF6158.JPG

DSCF6161.JPG

DSCF6162.JPG

It has a clever lid latch so you have less chance of spilling your tools everywhere.

DSCF6172.JPG

It has the main red latch to lock the lid down properly but it has a secondary catch on the lid that you pull out to open the lid. So you can lift the tool box without it opening if you forget to close the red latch.

DSCF6164.JPG

Inside it has a secondary lift out tray, quite typical for a tool box and also a small clear box with adjustable dividers for storing all the screws, nuts and bolts from junk yard trips for random parts.

DSCF6165.JPG

DSCF6166.JPG

DSCF6167.JPG

DSCF6170.JPG

DSCF6171.JPG

It has printed and molded branding on it so not just a generic toolbox with branding on it. Well at least the red latch and lid are specific to this.

DSCF6174.JPG

DSCF6175.JPG

DSCF6177.JPG

DSCF6173.JPG

DSCF6178.JPG

Part number is 08315-SP118

DSCF5852.JPG

You can see the top brace has been polished and the bottom one not. Came out looking great once the fine scratches were removed. It was actually in great condition but I knew I could make it look even better.

DSCF5854.JPG

DSCF5858.JPG

Last edited:

B+ (12V Constant power)
Ground

View attachment 661008

Thanks to a friend of @SVX I was able to get a translation of the page from the manual. It is for the car phone so that's an interesting plug to have. There is a control switch in the dashboard that would come with the phone if the car had one.

Now to find what the other plug that appears to be part of the dashboard illumination circuit is for. It's not a dash dimmer as that system is different and not a JDM standard thing. This plug also comes in the NZDM cars too but no plug, switch or dial to go with it.

Not much has been happening in the way of fixes or mods lately. They are mostly complete for now.

I did head out with @SVX on an MR2OCNZ drive around a few of the back roads in Wellington. I didn't get any of my own photos but a few people took some.

KW4_0183.jpg

KW4_0196.jpg

KW4_0201.jpg

MR2 run 270817 1.jpg

MR2 run 270817 3.jpg

MR2 run 270817 4.jpg

MR2 run 270817 5.jpg

MR2 run 270817 6.jpg

MR2 run 270817 7.jpg

MR2 run 270817 8.jpg

MR2 run 270817 9.jpg

MR2 run 270817 2.jpg

In other news I have booked in my first track day at Manfeild Raceway in October. After making all these upgrades the car is now ready for some fun on the track.
I'm very excited! The only thing I need to figure out is how to fit in the car with a helmet on. I seem to have grown a bit in height since my first few motorsport events back in 2008. Might need to look at getting the seat lower somehow.

Last edited:
New parts installed. This time it's some OEM parts that were dealer options only.

Dealer option cup holders.

I feel this is a helpful addition as I quite often have drinks in the car but only really works with a passenger to hold them. Now don't have that problem.

DSCF6313.JPG

As I received it. A bit dusty from sitting around but nothing a quick wash can't fix. This is the first time these have been installed into a car since they were imported from Japan.

DSCF6314.JPG

The underside of the tray

DSCF6315.JPG

The inside of the flocked tray. A few little spots of damage.

DSCF6316.JPG

DSCF6318.JPG

Small collection of spiders.

DSCF6321.JPG

The cup holder with the spring mechanism and a few extra screws.

DSCF6322.JPG

The left locating gear which provides a bit of resistance when pulling out the tray.

DSCF6323.JPG

The spring loaded gear to force the tray out when you release it by pressing on the front.

DSCF6327.JPG

JDM imported drinks. The best I could find. No cans yet sadly.

DSCF6330.JPG

Onto cleaning them up. Before.

DSCF6333.JPG

After

DSCF6338.JPG

Comparing what I had in the car, Pioneer CD player and storage box. Hey, what's that, an OEM tape player? Where did that come from?

DSCF6339.JPG

Fixing screws. Left one for the storage box, middle one for fixing in the OEM tape player. These cam from a Demio when I bought a Mini disc player for it and the aftermarket Pioneer screws. Not able to be used on the OEM tape player.

DSCF6341.JPG

Fixing the cup holders in only uses the tape player screws. The brackets have holes to hold the cup holder unit lugs instead of screws.

DSCF6342.JPG

That looks much better. Far better than the Poineer head unit sticking way out of the centre console.

DSCF6343.JPG

I can't use the tape player as it's not plugged in and my stereo wiring has been messed with and the Amps removed. I might put it back to normal and find a way to play bluetooth music instead of CDs only. The radio probably won't work very well with Japanese frequencies.

DSCF6348.JPG

There may be a way to add an AUX input into the cassette player. I know its fairly common mode on older headunits to retain the stock look but with improved functionality.

Does it hurt you a little inside to learn that I took my cup holder, removed the spring and glued the crap out of it to make it inoperable?

Was sick of the bugger opening randomly during spirited driving and rattling.

You can get a tape casette with aux to solve that one :cool:

There may be a way to add an AUX input into the cassette player. I know its fairly common mode on older headunits to retain the stock look but with improved functionality.

Yes a band expander is an easy addition. I need one for the Demio so I'll get 2. Tape adapter can be found easy for AUX which is what I need to do for my Pioneer unit right now anyway. Well an AUX cable at least.
As for wiring, it's actually just going to be a plug and play setup. Just need to reinstall my factory amps as I took them out. The wiring is just speaker wires spliced in after the amps so if I have the Pioneer unit unplugged then the factory system works again. Power has been taken from the cigarette lighter and hazard light wiring so I still have the normal power to the main tape player once I plug all the stuff back in.

Does it hurt you a little inside to learn that I took my cup holder, removed the spring and glued the crap out of it to make it inoperable?

Was sick of the bugger opening randomly during spirited driving and rattling.
Not at all, your cup holder is a factory fitted unit. Mine is far more rare.

My friend did this with a period-correct Pioneer unit. Had an AUX cable soldered into the back on an early nineties unit.

Well that was a terrible idea. I got everything working, amps, sub, power antenna but the sound quality is shocking. So unfortunately the Pioneer unit is going back in. Looks vs practicality, practicality wins here.

Damn, I wanted to do the same thing and use a oem style radio for a period correct interior. Sucks knowing there's a chance the quality might suck.

Not worth the risk, especially since the ones I want go for 200-300 dollars( for a old 1997 maxima radio....) Might as well get a touch screen lol.
IMG_2633.PNG

How rare or hard is it to find those cup holders? Look like they hold up well and look pretty nice.

Also Bluetooth Casette > Casette Aux, no wires =))

The only thing I need to figure out is how to fit in the car with a helmet on. I seem to have grown a bit in height since my first few motorsport events back in 2008. Might need to look at getting the seat lower somehow.

You ever thought about getting bucket seats? Though I doubt you will sit lower. Mr2 already sits extremely low as is lol.

Damn, I wanted to do the same thing and use a oem style radio for a period correct interior. Sucks knowing there's a chance the quality might suck.

Not worth the risk, especially since the ones I want go for 200-300 dollars( for a old 1997 maxima radio....) Might as well get a touch screen lol.
View attachment 673199

I didn't realize the Bose HUs were worth anything. I got rid of the one I bought for my Max because I only needed the double DIN shroud.

View attachment 673199

How rare or hard is it to find those cup holders? Look like they hold up well and look pretty nice.

Also Bluetooth Casette > Casette Aux, no wires =))

You ever thought about getting bucket seats? Though I doubt you will sit lower. Mr2 already sits extremely low as is lol.
Not too sure how rare the cup holders are but they don't come up much and sell for quite a bit.
As for the seat, I've taken off the bottom cushion support plate and springs and it has lowered the seat enough for me not to have the helmet resting on the roof and making me bend my neck or back to drive. It does mean I am sitting on the floor of the car and the sides dig into my hips a little bit. I can live with the over a bent neck or bad driving position. Ah the joys of being 6' tall with a tall body. Most people at 6' tall fit fine.

@GDII

Your ride is looking great!

Looking forward to hearing how she does at the track. Be safe and have fun!
Thanks, I can say the same about yours too.

I'm keen to get to the track, not too far off now.

Photos from today.

These are the control boxes/amplifiers that live in behind the trim behind the doors.
DSCF6377.JPG

From left to right
Factory central locking control box. Right side of car.
Noise filter for the stereo. Left side of car.
Sub woofer amplifier. Left side of car. I couldn't figure out how this thing mounted.
icon_redface.gif

Main stereo amplifier. Left side of car.

DSCF6380.JPG

Wiring for the stereo with the spliced in aftermarket wiring using the 3M splice clips.

DSCF6381.JPG

The space to fit the amps and seatbelt reel.

DSCF6382.JPG

Main stereo amp in place, this is as far as I got after I realised the sound quality of the factory system even with upgraded speakers was terrible. Everything worked plugged in but not quite what I wanted.

There is the possibility of mounting the aftermarket unit elsewhere and wiring it in but then having the tape deck in place not powered would only be useful for car shows. If I want to do that it's a 5min job to swap it out.

Some bonus shots from driving in one of the heaviest rain storms I recall.

DSCF6385.JPG

DSCF6389.JPG

DSCF6390.JPG

I haven't washed the MR2 for over 3 weeks and been using it as a daily so I tested out a snow foam canon. This thing is fun! How to instantly change your car from red to white!
icon_twisted.gif

I don't have any photos of the canon itself but this it it here.
https://detaildepot.co.nz/product/heavy ... nce-bosch/
heavy-duty-snow-foam-lance.png

Easy setup and use once you figure out the settings. I filled the bottle with a few caps of CarPro RESET and about 1/3rd of water. Then I attached it to the pressure washer and pulled the trigger. I set the top dial to + thinking it would be more suds but turns out the dial is the water control. So I turned it down to the lowest setting and then gave it a go. This was the result.
SW20 MR2 Snow foam.jpg

DSCF6397.JPG

DSCF6399.JPG

DSCF6398.JPG

It goes on thick and is meant to loosen up the heavier dirt and provide better lubrication to the paint to help prevent scratching the paint when using a cleaning mitt.

DSCF6401.JPG

After letting it sit for a while it drags the dirt off the car. I'd already cleaned the wheels first before doing the rest of the car.

Once I had done that I added another coat of CarPro PEARL to the tyres and lower trim then waxed the wheels again. I hadn't done them since I installed the wheels back in November. They are starting to gather more dirt each time and harder to clean.

DSCF6392.JPG

This is not a good look.
DSCF6404.JPG

But this is better.

More than a bit jealous about the foam gun! I don't have space for a pressure washer :grumpy:
No need to be jealous. I neither own the foam canon or the pressure washer. The foam canon is for another car I'm working on, this was just a test run on mine. And the pressure washer is borrowed from the neighbors. I really do want to buy a foam canon myself so this just makes me want it more.

Your first attempt went better than mine! :lol:

21032760_10213376512945861_8893796867003574969_n.jpg

I need a better pressure washer and lance.

My very first pull on the trigger had the same results until I figured the dial was set the wrong way for foam vs water.

Latest Posts

Back