Gen 5 Dodge Viper

• Thread starter Chikane_GTR
  • 1,519 comments
Like I said, but I don't think you fully understood it.
The previous ACR made 600HP, easily enough for most of you in this thread (by reading what you've said) to say, "It can't benefit from more power", yet they added 45 HP anyway.
The previous ACR & this ACR are not the same car. Different generations.
I like that you pulled the "let's argue" trick too though. "Less weight is even better"!
Where in the hell did I ever suggest adding weight? Where the hell did I suggest reducing weight couldn't make a car faster than adding power? Oh I didn't????
Oh my god! that makes all these posts "educating" me on the importance of weight loss
a: Uncalled for
b: Stupid, and off-topic
c: Argumentative
D: All of the above

If you answered "D", you got it. 👍
Let's add E: I completely take everything to heart & in a literal sense.

Nowhere have I said you want to add weight. I used Colin's quote because it ties into what Dodge did; instead of adding power (which is what you want them to do), they removed weight to make better use of the power already there. An extra 55Hp is likely unnecessary, regardless of adding weight or not because it still becomes more power the car has to manage to put down.
(And you can't do 🤬 about it, no matter how unreasonably angry or argumentative that makes you)
The unreasonably angry person here is you.

I would like to see around a 2800-3000lb curb weight, but I'd also like to see 700HP. 2500lb is a bit light/bouncy. My Cavalier weighs 2600 lbs, and that's bouncy.

All other arguments aside, I find it funny that you used a Cavalier as an example for why too little weight can cause a car to be "bouncy".

It's bouncy because it's a Cavalier, and not a finely tuned, high budget, extensively engineered track weapon. A track weapon designed by people who more than likely understand physics and how it applies to cars.

Your comment about the other light cars on the list being "gokarts" doesn't really work. Having the same mass with a larger surface area allows for even more down force, making the car more planted, and/or streamlined.

I say leave it. 645 HP is good enough power in my book. Adding 55 HP wouldn't do much help to the car.

I'm sure that there would be a drop in top speed due to the aerodynamics present, but that also means it is better to control, even when you are going all rip n' tear with the car.

Should be able to net pretty quick lap times.

DSC_7484.jpg

Oh.

Double adjustable Suspension. Larger Carbon ceramic breaks (1st for viper), under body aerodynamics, rear diffuser that goes from the back to the front, adjustable front splitter, adjustable rear wing, unique hood, tires that has more rubber than the standard Pirelli's. Not to mention the hand painted exterior paint and strips. Is worth 30k...it's practically the GTS-R for the street.

I'm assuming at its core (before the Viper 1 of 1 Program), it's based on the SRT model at $85,000. I don't know if it's worth the extra $30K+ over that, but it does seem like a more appealing deal if you were going for the $17,000 TA 2.0 Package which brings it to $102,000 at its minimum. Extra $15K for a model that has all of TA 2.0's features on a more intense level & may likely have been developed with the aero/suspension much more than the SRT/GTC/GTS with the TA packages.

Seems even more appealing considering Dodge wanted a fully loaded GTS at $122,000 when it originally came out. I'd be pissed if I was one of the people who bought one back then.

Hmm, is suspension and aero worth $30k to you is the question.
That sort of makes what you get sound like less than it is. The ACR's aero package isn't in the same league as 90% of road going cars and it probably had a development cost to go with the performance.

I'm pretty pleased with the price, I could see it going for $150,000 if not more.

CLARIFICATION

There is 2 Versions of the ACR
http://allparnews.com/index.php/2015/05/exclusive-inside-the-2016-viper-acr-aero-packages-28678

After receiving several inquiries as to what the key aerodynamic differences are between the standard ACR and the ACR with the Extreme Aero Package, we reached out to a few of our contacts and an FCA representative was able to provide a great breakdown of the exterior features of the newest American Club Racer Viper.
This package isn’t available until later this year, while the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR is on sale now, so what do you get in terms of body bits when you don’t have the Extreme Aero Package? The 2016 Viper ACR without the Extreme Aero Package is still designed to dominate at the track, so you still get plenty of features that improve high speed downforce – just not as much as you get with the Extreme Aero kit.

This is the standard ACR that starts at $117k, The pricing with the Aero Package isnt known yet as its not available at this time.
DSC_7485.jpg

It will remain under $140,000, though (Car will retail $122,000 with gas/shipping included). Package includes vents in the hood, rear panels, bigger wing, & strut adjustable front splitter.

It will remain under $140,000, though (Car will retail $122,000 with gas/shipping included). Package includes vents in the hood, rear panels, bigger wing, & strut adjustable front splitter.

So it looks like the extreme aero package is $6,000. So including destination and GG tax, total price for an extreme aero ACR (no options) is $128,490. still a bargain.

So it looks like the extreme aero package is $6,000. So including destination and GG tax, total price for an extreme aero ACR (no options) is $128,490. still a bargain.
That's a pretty nice deal for those extra 4-5 items. 👍

"This is a big 🤬 wing" :lol:

Literally the first thing I thought when I first saw it on the ACR. Only now do I notice the wing actually has slits in it as opposed to the traditional layering of the wing.

Also, Andy Lally should do more of these. I thought he was great in explaining things and the bloopers just are gold.

The splitter explanation was a bit dry. I am a little surprised that the center wing section isn't high enough to be dual element though. This video also gives me the third downforce number I've heard for the car (1400 lbf, 1200 lbf, 1700 lbf). The first two were at 150 mph with the last unspecified. I'm doubtful thatf the removeable louvers would make that much difference in downforce. The wing might, but then you'd unbalance the car.

Back