Gene Haas' new American F1 team

• Thread starter Roo
  • 700 comments
In other news HAAS, he is thinking of having solid yellow cars. And hired former Red Bull Cheif designer...no not the one that made the WDC winning cars known as Adrian Newey, but rather the one who built the RB1 and the Jaguar cars before it.

Adam Cooper has just been tweeting some interesting info about Haas F1. The team will be split between USA/UK/Italy and will have full support from Ferrari. The body and chassis will be Haas creation, but everything else will be fully Ferrari.

Adam Cooper has just been tweeting some interesting info about Haas F1. The team will be split between USA/UK/Italy and will have full support from Ferrari. The body and chassis will be Haas creation, but everything else will be fully Ferrari.

eastwood.gif

I guess I'll still be cheering for them...

So it's the Ferrari Toro Rosso or NART?
I'm not entirely mad about that, it's a good way to start a new F1 team atleast.

More NART than Toro Rosso since they'll actually be getting support from the works team instead of just getting drivers that pass through, although they'll probably still get Ferrari drivers passing through. Now would be the time for Ferrari to heavily scout American talent.

It could bother people that this team isn't 100% American...but that sort of thing early on for a start up team is impossible when the best tech and minds in the world for F1 are in Europe.

It could bother people that this team isn't 100% American...but that sort of thing early on for a start up team is impossible when the best tech and minds in the world for F1 are in Europe.

Meanwhile, they have no problem with a certain American series that uses British ECUs.

People should really lay off the patriotism, kinda impossible to be All-American when the ideal location (logistics wise) is, unsurprisingly, not American.

The Ferrari support will be a big positive for Haas.

Comparing to the other recent startup teams (Virgin/Marussia/Manor, Team Lotus/Caterham, and HRT), Haas partnering up with a establish team this early in their preparations will help them in the long run.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, they have no problem with a certain American series that uses British ECUs.

People should really lay off the patriotism, kinda impossible to be All-American when the ideal location (logistics wise) is, unsurprisingly, not American.
I personally could care less I just want to make that clear. I'm just saying that there are people who for whatever reason will not be happy that Haas is not 100% American. I for one am excited that we have a modern day NART again basically. :D (now if we could just convince them to maybe do a NART livery on the car for a season... :P )

I personally could care less I just want to make that clear. I'm just saying that there are people who for whatever reason will not be happy that Haas is not 100% American. I for one am excited that we have a modern day NART again basically. :D (now if we could just convince them to maybe do a NART livery on the car for a season... :P )

Oh I wasn't talking about you, I was just pointing out how ironic that is given how honestly, even the most "American" series isn't even all American itself.

Oh I wasn't talking about you, I was just pointing out how ironic that is given how honestly, even the most "American" series isn't even all American itself.
Sorry lol just making sure. :lol: But yes it's sadly the truth.

Thankfully this partnership with Ferrari will give them a very good chance of having an impact in F1.

I'm not entirely mad about that, it's a good way to start a new F1 team atleast.

Totally agree. It's a brilliant idea. Everybody wins.

More cars on the grid, Ferrari gets more testing and a feeder team for their driver programme, Haas gets solid engineering support and a more or less guaranteed competitive car out of the gate.

I guess this is as close as F1 gets to customer cars at the moment. They should probably do it more, we could do with a baby Mercedes team. Maybe not so much a baby McLaren team. :P

Would Toro Roso become the baby Audi team if Audi bought Red Bull Racing?
I know you're asking that in jest, but it's actually a big challenge that they would face. The problems McLaren have had, even after Honda got eighteen months of free development, show just how difficult it is to break into the sport with a single team - but acquiring a second team is a more expensive proposition. It may, however, be necessary.

Meanwhile, Renault have discussed the possibility of re-entering the sport as a full works team. But they're more likely to buy an existing team than they are to establish their own. Force India, Lotus and Toro Rosso have all been touted as potential teams to be bought.

The easiest scenario for Renault would be to buy into Red Bull, keeping Red Bull as title sponsor, but rebranding themselves as Renault. They could buy into Toro Rosso as well, with a similar arrangement, possibly rebranding it as Infiniti-Renault.

As for Audi, they would need to break Mercedes' stanglehold on the supply market. I would look to buy Lotus or Force India, whichever is in better financial shape, and come to a supply deal with the other. Then shuffle the drivers to put Grosjean and Hulkenberg in the same team.

What's wrong with that...

I'm just not a fan of Ferrari. I was hoping Haas would use their own engines, but if not then Mercedes would be better than Ferrari. The problem isn't that Haas' team won't be 100% American; that would be a bit unrealistic at the moment.

I'm just not a fan of Ferrari. I was hoping Haas would use their own engines, but if not then Mercedes would be better than Ferrari. The problem isn't that Haas' team won't be 100% American; that would be a bit unrealistic at the moment.
Mercedes isn't possible, and Haas wouldn't have anyone else to build an engine for him.

articlesFiatCHRYSLER002.transformed.jpg

Haas could change the valve covers to say "Dodge" or "Chrysler" if they want to go the all-American theme.

I was hoping Haas would use their own engines
And how is Haas supposed to develop them whilst building a team up from scratch?

Mercedes would be better than Ferrari.
There are rules limiting the number of teams that an engine manufacturer can supply. It's currently capped at four, and four teams use Mercedes engines. In order to get a Mercedes deal Haas would need Lotus, Force India or Williams to go elsewhere.

How would they use their own engines...what own engines are you talking about. How would they develop such engines, they're not even a manufacture team in the current series they race in so who would help them? Even in NASCAR they don't build their own engines and cars for the most part so what led you to think they would?

Ferrari engines aren't that bad to be fair, and with further development in the 2016 spec engine it be that much closer. Ferrari seemed quite fast in Quali and seem to have a better all around car than the Williams with it's powerful Mercedes engine. Also what @prisonermonkeys has said.

Also what does being a fan of Ferrari have to do with anything, it goes beyond engines, we're talking logistics, testing info, tools like CFD and Wind tunnels outside of HAAS to help the team be a proper b-team to Ferrari and run mid pack early on. Why is that an issue? Most teams that aren't manufactures have this agreement in place.

Marussia was with McLaren using the wind tunnel and other things, along with Ferrari development drivers and engines

FI got Merc help

RBR (since RBR has been the factory Renault team for a few years now) and STR sister grouping

Sauber have recieved limited help from Ferrari

The only teams that I know of being on their own are Lotus (former factory Renault team) and Williams who have been around forever. And even they have struggled financially to just build cars.

Also no team on the grid is 100% country of origin built. They have parts from all over and help from all over. The biggest knock against the German mark Mercedes is that it's not a true German effort, but a British effort for the most part.

Latest Posts

Back