Gene Haas' new American F1 team

• Thread starter Roo
  • 700 comments
Speaking of was its still a shame that american sports media continue to put hype behind, ESPN for example.
Can you blame them? Haas deferred his entry until 2016, as is his perogative, but he hasn't let a steady stream of information flow from the factory; he has been too busy. Networks like ESPN no doubt want to keep Haas in the public consciousness, so they run whatever story they can. They know it's bogus, but putting Patrick in Formula 1 isn't the point - keeping the public aware of the team is.

From the raft of ex F1 and other drivers which I think any new team needs before they think about prospecting for new talent, I would like to see Paul Di Resta (remember him?) and someone like Bruno Senna or Karun Chandok in the second seat, I know Chandok has historically brought funding so that's all good. Perhaps I am basing that more on having seen them in interviews and other TV spots to some extent but they are young and snappish but come with a certain maturity that would go a long way.

The only good drivers left this year is going to be a driver losing his F1 seat because the only supremely fast drivers is Vandoorne & Ocon, maybe Rowland will show some pace too. But to be honest GP2/R3.5 & Moto 2 no longer have grids of dominating drivers & riders like it was a few years ago. They might have 1 fast driver, but those drivers winning these series now, we're the drivers and riders that were getting beat years ago, Tito Rabat for example, I figured he would of walked away with the Moto2 championship this year, but even he is having trouble this Season...

In his fifth season of GP2 (including GP2 Asia). In fact, in eight seasons of racing in GP2, GP2 Asia, GP3 and Formula Renault 3.5, he has had just five race wins. The only reason he is currently second in GP2 is because everyone else - except Vandoorne - has struggled with consistency. In fact, after just six races, Vandoorne already has twice as many points as Rossi.
Yea, but Vandoorne is Mclaren's build up kid, unless they don't drop Button early in his contract. If he or Ocon is up for grabs they would be my 2 picks, maybe Rowland too if he keeps performing well...

Yea, but Vandoorne is Mclaren's build up kid, unless they don't drop Button early in his contract. If he or Ocon is up for grabs they would be my 2 picks, maybe Rowland too if he keeps performing well...
Vandoorne's McLaren affiliation doesn't make Rossi a viable option for Haas by default. If Haas is serious about working with Ferrari, then he needs to usurp Sauber as their first customer team. And with that comes the perks of the Ferrari driver stable, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Raffaele Marciello racing for Haas next year, alongside an established driver - Vergne or Gutierrez, or for someone out of left-field, Hulkenberg.

Vandoorne's McLaren affiliation doesn't make Rossi a viable option for Haas by default. If Haas is serious about working with Ferrari, then he needs to usurp Sauber as their first customer team. And with that comes the perks of the Ferrari driver stable, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Raffaele Marciello racing for Haas next year, alongside an established driver - Vergne or Gutierrez, or for someone out of left-field, Hulkenberg.
If any, I would take Hulkenberg. My issue with Rossi isn't that I think he is the best, but just like I called Ducati ultimately having an all Italian line up 2 yrs in advance, is the only reason I'm bring up Rossi to Haas. Honestly I care what happens to Jann in the feeder series than any off this other stuff to be honest!

Di Resta? Really? By all accounts, he was impossible to work with.

I know somebody who did indeed work with him during his F1 days... and you're absolutely right. A particular incident that I recall being mentioned was a meet-the-families day, Hulkenberg was friendly, chatty and child friendly while Di Resta was cold, distant and remarkably rude. Clearly trifle and bouncy-castles just aren't rock'n'roll enough for him.

I still can't believe that Haas would feel obligated to take an American driver, but I have been thinking about it and if he did feel obligated, then his best bet would be Sage Karam - he's young and quick, and while he still needs work, now is the time to scoop him up before he beds down in IndyCar.

Clearly trifle and bouncy-castles just aren't rock'n'roll enough for him.
The man has no soul.

Of all the available drivers with experience with the new engines, I'd think Vergne is the best option. Other than his qualifying, Vergne was always solid and could get a car into the points on many occasions. Didn't perform terribly against Ricciardo and Kvyat either. Franz Tost was always complimentary of him too.

And there just is no good American available to take. I'd rather see a youngster with more potential, like Ocon, get a seat. Lotus praised his testing performance, whereas Rossi never really made an impression at Caterham.

With the attitude that Haas is taking towards this, they'll choose the best available drivers they can. I think the American thing will only come into play in a couple of years when everything is settled and they know what they're doing (100% I mean).

Ocon, Vax, Rowland, Vandoorne, and Alex if you an somewhat experienced European racer who knows some of the tracks. Most likely, I would try to get Hulk, Rak (if he gets dropped for Bottas), or some other current F1 driver that gets dropped this year.

By the way: Scott Sharp is way too slow, I rather grab Montoya from Indy and put him back in F1 eventho I doubt he'll go... Plus I don't see Penske helping Haas.

Ocon, Vax, Rowland, Vandoorne, and Alex if you an somewhat experienced European racer who knows some of the tracks. Most likely, I would try to get Hulk, Rak (if he gets dropped for Bottas), or some other current F1 driver that gets dropped this year.

By the way: Scott Sharp is way too slow, I rather grab Montoya from Indy and put him back in F1 eventho I doubt he'll go... Plus I don't see Penske helping Haas.

Scott Sharp is way too old for F1...

So, who even suggested Scott Sharp? :odd:

Honestly, he's...not that good in anything he drives. The only reason he even has a championship in sports cars is because David Brabham and the Highcroft team made him look good.

Kevin Magnussen? He might consider it if the Honda continues to be a slug. If his situation with McLaren right now would allow it, I'd pair him with Vergne. Two reasonably experienced drivers would help a lot with developing the car.

No idea if that's even a possibility. Just throwing it out there.

Kevin Magnussen? He might consider it if the Honda continues to be a slug. If his situation with McLaren right now would allow it, I'd pair him with Vergne. Two reasonably experienced drivers would help a lot with developing the car.

No idea if that's even a possibility. Just throwing it out there.
Not entirely impossible.

So, who even suggested Scott Sharp? :odd:

Honestly, he's...not that good in anything he drives. The only reason he even has a championship in sports cars is because David Brabham and the Highcroft team made him look good.
It was supposed to be Scott Speed from Formula E, not Sharp; typo..

Vergne and Magunssen at Haas F1 would be really good to see.
I didn't think of the Magunssen seat. I'm over Buemi & Verge for F1 return in any seat. To be honest Koby messed up dropping his Ferrari GT seat for 1 year in a slow a$$ Caterham. What a waste!

For some reason I always remember of Schumacher when he came back to F1, so in the topic of returning drivers I'm more like: "No, thank you."

I wouldn't count on any of the current Formula E drivers going back to F1, they'll have much more potential where they are now.

Haas should get a current F1 driver and a new driver (Doesn't have to be American)

I wouldn't count on any of the current Formula E drivers going back to F1, they'll have much more potential where they are now.

Haas should get a current F1 driver and a new driver (Doesn't have to be American)
I'd say a good free agent (which I know of none at this point) and somebody like De Silvestro (hey she was being targeted by Sauber for a bit) or a GP2 driver.

Who's goimg to be a free agent next year btw? Any big names?

Back