Gene Haas' new American F1 team

• Thread starter Roo
  • 700 comments
Could be worse.

murica_zps2hrcvkcd.png

Missing a bit Stars & Stripes element in the livery, but overall it looks pretty darn good!

Their racing outfits look pretty spectacular.

McLaren could learn a thing or two from Haas about designing their racing suits. Jenson and Fernando looked like they were renting white race suits from the circuits.

Haas suits really look spectacular. They got me hoping the car would look much better than it does.

McLaren's suits look better this year. The black Chandon stripe helped fill the blank a little bit.

Guessing no hi-res images yet? Everything I've seen so far has been the four images Haas posted on twitter, which are pretty small in resolution.

A pretty nice looking car for sure, a few quirks that I haven't seen on any other car yet (bridge on the nose, interesting exhaust section. Livery is... okay. Nothing too remarkable. I like the nose on the car though, and the general shape looks pretty promising actually. I wouldn't be suprised if that is an immediate midfield team

Have to say, I'm quite disappointed by this livery. It's like a mix of Manor/HRT/Super Aguri. It looks ok in the studio pics, but it looks very bland in the "on track" pics. Looks like a GP2 or F3 livery to me.

They should have used yellow :(

Last edited:
Have they got no other sponsors other than Richard Mille? I would have thought US companies would be cueing up to advertise on it. Also what is that weird ripple crease half way up the nose?

Not as of right now. US companies would rather sponsor NASCAR teams because of the exposure. Hopefully Haas ends up being more than a caboose in the field of F1 and garner attention from US corporations. Huge opportunity to increase the popularity of F1 in the US if Haas can even be midfield contenders.

They definitely shouldn't be as bad as Manor last year, given that they were using an old chassis and engine.

I think fighting with the much improved Manor and Sauber seems most likely.

Not as of right now. US companies would rather sponsor NASCAR teams because of the exposure. Hopefully Haas ends up being more than a caboose in the field of F1 and garner attention from US corporations. Huge opportunity to increase the popularity of F1 in the US if Haas can even be midfield contenders.
I'm not American so I could be wrong, but I highly doubt even being a mid-pack team will draw attention in the US. To understand the achievement of being mid-pack, you need to understand F1 in the first place. In order to draw in new US fans, an American driver and/or team would need to be winning consistently, and we all know that just ain't happening any time soon.

I'm not American so I could be wrong, but I highly doubt even being a mid-pack team will draw attention in the US. To understand the achievement of being mid-pack, you need to understand F1 in the first place. In order to draw in new US fans, an American driver and/or team would need to be winning consistently, and we all know that just ain't happening any time soon.
NBC has been sponsoring teams like Caterham and Sauber.

They definitely shouldn't be as bad as Manor last year, given that they were using an old chassis and engine.

I think fighting with the much improved Manor and Sauber seems most likely.

Some back pack dog fights will be very welcomed.

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of that hump on the nose up between the front wheels is.

Have they got no other sponsors other than Richard Mille? I would have thought US companies would be cueing up to advertise on it. Also what is that weird ripple crease half way up the nose?

The bump on the nose is an S-duct. As trialed by Mclaren late last year, it's basically a vent that carries air from under the nose to exit out of that slot on the top of the nose. This reduces the air pressure under the nose, and helps produce downforce.

I think an American driver doing consistent and finishing in points is enough to advertise "Formula 1 featuring American contender ________"

What I don't get is, surely for any team if they want to stand out on the grid an easy way to do it is with a bright colour nobody else is using. I mean you ask any fan who has been watching the sport the last 20 or so years what is the red car and it's easy. Ferrari. Ask them yellow, just as easy I'd imagine, Jordan. Orange is still easy, Arrows. Even green I imagine most will remember the Jag as well as the Caterham.

Now ask them to name the black car. "Err, which one?"

They stand out, they're memorable. Why not use the colour if it's free? An orange or green car on the current grid will stand out hugely, so why not?

Back