Gene Haas' new American F1 team

• Thread starter Roo
  • 700 comments
@LMSCorvetteGT2 @BHRxRacer Guys, take the argument somewhere else. You can message each other if you really feel the need to keep the argument going. Nobody else cares.

I figure Haas will take Daly or Rossi and someone already in the field who loses their seat at the end of the year. (Kobayashi, Gutierrez). If I were him I would put an American in the reserve role with an occasional friday drive for the first season, and graduate them to a race seat the next season.

@LMSCorvetteGT2 @BHRxRacer Guys, take the argument somewhere else. You can message each other if you really feel the need to keep the argument going. Nobody else cares.

IF it's an issue then report it. However, I for one am tired of said user coming on here with bs claims not backing them up and then trying to make them stick. He does it far too often and it's asinine.

I figure Haas will take Daly or Rossi and someone already in the field who loses their seat at the end of the year. (Kobayashi, Gutierrez). If I were him I would put an American in the reserve role with an occasional friday drive for the first season, and graduate them to a race seat the next season.

Yes two drivers that we've already discussed having the most likely chance because they either have a super license or don't need that many KMs to get one. I highly doubt Kobayashi will lose his seat, the rookie on that team isn't doing anything wonderful especially compared to the last two. Gutierrez wont lose his seat either but I'm sure Sutil might and he has plenty of experience and some sponsor money as well.

I doubt Rossi will take that though since that is his current role at Caterham. Daly perhaps would take the reserve/test driver role.

I imagine it's one of those times when all other things being equal, he'd take the American over any other nationality. And rightly so.

But it's racing, and all other things are never equal. He'll take the best drivers he can get/afford, and then figure out some way to spin it so that they're attractive to an American audience.

I agree with all that but for the last part, I'm quite sure he will take an american driver as he has suggested.

IF it's an issue then report it. However, I for one am tired of said user coming on here with bs claims not backing them up and then trying to make them stick. He does it far too often and it's asinine.

Yes two drivers that we've already discussed having the most likely chance because they either have a super license or don't need that many KMs to get one. I highly doubt Kobayashi will lose his seat, the rookie on that team isn't doing anything wonderful especially compared to the last two. Gutierrez wont lose his seat either but I'm sure Sutil might and he has plenty of experience and some sponsor money as well.

I doubt Rossi will take that though since that is his current role at Caterham. Daly perhaps would take the reserve/test driver role.
Well, Fernandez said this was Caterham's last chance to crack the midfield, and they aren't exactly doing that right now. It's very plausable that they back out at the end of the season, which leaves Kobayashi and Rossi open.
Sutil would be an okay choice, he's solid, though unlikely to pull out a result that exceeds the car's potential.

Well, Fernandez said this was Caterham's last chance to crack the midfield, and they aren't exactly doing that right now. It's very plausable that they back out at the end of the season, which leaves Kobayashi and Rossi open.
Sutil would be an okay choice, he's solid, though unlikely to pull out a result that exceeds the car's potential.

All I remember is him saying that he'd be "hanging from a tree out back there somewhere" if his team didn't win and the possibility, until I see something more concrete them him just being frustrated in an interview then I might perhaps agree with you.

The problem also is there aren't any drivers on the roster for purchase that could probably exceed the limits of the car, they may get lucky with one of the upcoming rookies but I doubt it.

Rossi has been with Caterham for years, but has been overlooked every time the team has recruited a new driver. And if a vacancy becomes available, chances are that they will take Frijns or Haryanto, assuming they recruit internally.

Also, why do you dislike Daly because of his father? He's not exactly Conrad Rautenbach, a rally driver whose career was funded by his father, one of Robert Mugabe's right-hand men.

All I remember is him saying that he'd be "hanging from a tree out back there somewhere" if his team didn't win and the possibility, until I see something more concrete them him just being frustrated in an interview then I might perhaps agree with you.

The problem also is there aren't any drivers on the roster for purchase that could probably exceed the limits of the car, they may get lucky with one of the upcoming rookies but I doubt it.
Sorry, here's a source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/21/tony-fernandes-caterham-f1-quit

As for drivers, Red Bull could very well drop Vergne at the end of the season, and he gave Ricciardo a run for his money the last couple years. And you can look at what Ricciardo is doing at Red Bull to see what kind of driver Vergne could be.

Rossi has been with Caterham for years, but has been overlooked every time the team has recruited a new driver. And if a vacancy becomes available, chances are that they will take Frijns or Haryanto, assuming they recruit internally.

Also, why do you dislike Daly because of his father? He's not exactly Conrad Rautenbach, a rally driver whose career was funded by his father, one of Robert Mugabe's right-hand men.

I just said Daly seems more likely for the seat than Rossi, even if I dislike the guy I can't deny he's better. My bias shouldn't get in the way of that.
Sorry, here's a source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/21/tony-fernandes-caterham-f1-quit

As for drivers, Red Bull could very well drop Vergne at the end of the season, and he gave Ricciardo a run for his money the last couple years. And you can look at what Ricciardo is doing at Red Bull to see what kind of driver Vergne could be.

Vergne could be that I agree, but I'd rather wait to see where this season goes against his rookie teammate. I think the issue last season came down to the car not the drivers because Ric is showing us he can drive. So it's logical to think the same of Vergne if given capable machinery.

I just said Daly seems more likely for the seat than Rossi, even if I dislike the guy I can't deny he's better. My bias shouldn't get in the way of that.
I'm not challenging your bias, I'm just curious as to the reason for it. You said it had something to do with Derek Daly.

I'm not challenging your bias, I'm just curious as to the reason for it. You said it had something to do with Derek Daly.

Because just like with anything F1 in recent times I feel nepotism takes a front seat and feel that Derek thinks his name is a tool to get his son a seat. Rather than outright speed and skill from his son, a fall back on his father might give him credence to help him forward. I don't like that and I never have, I didn't like it when Bruno did it or Sainz Jr. and so on. The difference is Sainz can drive and thus I feel that is more what keeps him around, though I don't doubt to get his foot in the door Senior had some words especially when you see who both are sponsored by.

It's a loathing toward nepotism

PM was a mod, once upon a time. But PM hated being a mod, because people like you took all the fun out of the forums. So PM quit being a mod, and now the forums are fun again. Except for the odd occassion when people like you demand to be taken seriously.

So that makes 26 cars on the grid, if Caterham does not quit?

Why would they, because Fernandes said some hyperbole to CNN about the situation? It'd be stupid to leave at the end of this year when there are two new teams for them to beat and three if they finally get the program together like Cybril had been saying.

Also Cybril seemed clear on the situation that there is nothing to his knowledge showing them not on the grid next year.

He's not interested in beating new teams though, he wants the team further up the grid fighting with the established names. If they're still miles off being there I can see them leaving, sure.

I wonder what the main color is going to be on the car. I hope they aren't lazy and just have black and red ala Kurt Busch's 41 Chevy.

Red and white are the main colours of Haas CNC. I imagine they would do something to distinguish the car from others - especially if they're at the back and racing the likes of Marussia.

He's not interested in beating new teams though, he wants the team further up the grid fighting with the established names. If they're still miles off being there I can see them leaving, sure.
Well that's great if you think that's what happens as an outsider and then there is what the insiders like Cybril, the guy that overseas the entire operation that say otherwise. So you might want to inform those employees that they may be out of a job, also they should be interested in beating new teams because that means money. Even last year when Marussia got tenth it is said they didn't get the money because those who've done it twice in the last three are only awarded.

Even last year when Marussia got tenth it is said they didn't get the money because those who've done it twice in the last three are only awarded.
That's down to the way the Concorde Agreement is written. It rewards teams who commit over the medium- and long-term. It's there to stop teams joining for a year with a minimum outlay, then picking up a cheque at the end of the season and promptly evaporating. It's less of a problem, now that costs are so high and the 107% rule demands a minimum level of competitiveness, but that has whittled the number of teams down.

That's down to the way the Concorde Agreement is written. It rewards teams who commit over the medium- and long-term. It's there to stop teams joining for a year with a minimum outlay, then picking up a cheque at the end of the season and promptly evaporating. It's less of a problem, now that costs are so high and the 107% rule demands a minimum level of competitiveness, but that has whittled the number of teams down.

Yeah I know I remeber seeing you talking about it on F1 Fanatic some time ago, when you use to take part on the articles. IT still doesn't change the fact that if Caterham stay they're more likely to getting more money than Marussia and the new teams due to being apart of the last agreement, and obviously being more prone or having the ability to finish tenth.

Yeah I know I remeber seeing you talking about it on F1 Fanatic some time ago, when you use to take part on the articles.
I'm pretty sure I got banned over there. I have no idea why. I got put in the moderation queue for a year after expressing my dislike of Räikkönen, and then one day, all of my posts got deleted on sight. I hadn't said anything controversial - the queue prevented it - but I'm guessing it had something to do with my Räikkönen comments. The same thing happened over at Autosport. You're not allowed to dislike Räikkönen, because if you do, his supporters will treat you as fair game.

But it's only a guess. I sent Collantine an e-mail asking why, but he never replied.

I'm pretty sure I got banned over there. I have no idea why. I got put in the moderation queue for a year after expressing my dislike of Räikkönen, and then one day, all of my posts got deleted on sight. I hadn't said anything controversial - the queue prevented it - but I'm guessing it had something to do with my Räikkönen comments. The same thing happened over at Autosport. You're not allowed to dislike Räikkönen, because if you do, his supporters will treat you as fair game.

But it's only a guess. I sent Collantine an e-mail asking why, but he never replied.

Well that sucks, I tend to like the discussion people here bring over there it's a just a few members with myopic view points for the most part. I only care fore the sight because it gives good news and the prediction competition as well as pictures.

I always try to back up my comments with an actual argument, so that even if you completely disagree with me, you might walk away with something new to consider. Somehow, I still got banned, even when there are other, regular members - namely hohum - with full posting privileges who consistently "contribute" stuff that could be considered slanderous material (particularly with regards to Bernie Ecclestone; I understand that he is unpopular, but you can't accuse him of criminal wrongdoing without proof). And then I get blocked without any warning or any form of follow-up or even acknowledgement.

I always try to back up my comments with an actual argument, so that even if you completely disagree with me, you might walk away with something new to consider. Somehow, I still got banned, even when there are other, regular members - namely hohum - with full posting privileges who consistently "contribute" stuff that could be considered slanderous material (particularly with regards to Bernie Ecclestone; I understand that he is unpopular, but you can't accuse him of criminal wrongdoing without proof). And then I get blocked without any warning or any form of follow-up or even acknowledgement.

Yeah him and omar-pepper seem to do that a lot without any issue. As I said though this place is better.

Back