General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments
I need to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 again sometime soon, not only had it been too long but I need to get some practice with Tekken 7 getting closer.

On Twitch, I'm watching some of the Street Fighter V Invitational by ELEAGUE. So some of the Street Fighter pros are trying to flex their muscle.

You know, I am really starting to like Street Fighter III as my favorite Street Fighter game, especially "Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike." There is just a certain magic and flow to that game which makes it great to play. I also enjoy a vast majority of the music. While SF4 and SF5 are great-looking games, SF3 is really becoming my favorite of the Street Fighter series. I do kind of want to play "Street Fighter V" regardless. However, I don't know if I'll like it as much as SF3. I've barely played SF4. So you folks enjoy some of that ELEAGUE SFV tournament action if you're watching.

Speaking of the Tekken series, the online feature for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is pretty much dead. Each time I try to connect, it keeps saying the online thing is no more. It isn't that I have interest in doing online battles. It is just that I kind of want to sneak in on seeing some online matches from others. But really, I could do that by just watching some live streams on YouTube and Twitch.

You know, I am really starting to like Street Fighter III as my favorite Street Fighter game, especially "Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike." There is just a certain magic and flow to that game which makes it great to play. I also enjoy a vast majority of the music. While SF4 and SF5 are great-looking games, SF3 is really becoming my favorite of the Street Fighter series. I do kind of want to play "Street Fighter V" regardless. However, I don't know if I'll like it as much as SF3. I've barely played SF4. So you folks enjoy some of that ELEAGUE SFV tournament action if you're watching.

I've always found that the Street Fighter III games (New Challengers, Second Impact and especially Third Strike) are very unique compared to others titles in the SF series, so much so that a lot of the "Fundamentals of Street Fighter" (Too many to list off of the top of my head) are barely present and/or don't really apply to SF3. I agree that it's a fun game, but I never could quite grasp anything resembling high-level play (Specifically, when and what to try and parry).

Street Fighter V I feel is a fun game at beginner-intermediate levels of skill, but it definitely hasn't been a sales-winner for Capcom and the negativity of the game's launch has gotten some Japanese players calling it "Obligation Fighter".

Earlier today, I saw a Twitch stream of "BlazBlue: Central Fiction." I know absolutely nothing about this series; but man... impressive-looking game! This game looks as impressive as when I praised "Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-." The BlazBlue series is basically in the same sort of stylistic anime-style fighting games. It even has that interesting looking lobby setup like "Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-." To me, the BlazBlue series is more in a futuristic setting. Again- I don't know as much as I'd like to about BlazBlue, but this game looks great to me.

[UPDATE] It's "Revelator," not "Revelation." Changes made.

Earlier today, I saw a Twitch stream of "BlazBlue: Central Fiction." I know absolutely nothing about this series; but man... impressive-looking game! This game looks as impressive as when I praised "Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-." The BlazBlue series is basically in the same sort of stylistic anime-style fighting games. It even has that interesting looking lobby setup like "Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-." To me, the BlazBlue series is more in a futuristic setting. Again- I don't know as much as I'd like to about BlazBlue, but this game looks great to me.

[UPDATE] It's "Revelator," not "Revelation." Changes made.

BlazBlue was made in the mid-2000s with the idea being that it could possibly be a replacement for Guilty Gear, which was technically outside of Arc Sysem Works control at the time. I personally never really cared for it, as it always felt like playing Guilty Gear underwater to me and none of the character designs really "Grabbed" me at first.

I don't think that Capcom ever learned from the early pages of selling SFIV. SFV is good in its own way but it isn't flexible from what we are used to. My first impressions will always be that it reminds me of 3S (Third Strike) but give it another year and hopefully it will change.
Speaking about Guilty Gear..

Didn't Arika themselves confirm that was a super-elaborate April Fools prank, though...? I mean Capcom wouldn't just allow them to slap the Street Fighter name on something they didn't make, surely...

I was watching on Twitch last night of the famous SaltyBet channel, famous for their showing of MUGEN fights. I saw one digitized character from one game that I did a search on for a game called Tattoo Assassins. This mid-1990s arcade game from Data East featured some ex-Midway employees responsible for... a much more famous arcade fighting game with digitized characters. I heard "Tattoo Assassins" was never released, but some have played around with the characters and apparently made them available for MUGEN.

Speaking of MUGEN, I have had the motivation and drive to try to make MUGEN characters. But my motivation will be in making original characters rather than try to re-create characters from other games. I actually in 2008 or so planned on making my own characters. Those dreams never materialized. And recently, I've been practicing making vector art. It was something I was experimenting in trying to convert my vectors into characters I can rasterize and turn into characters and frames.

I feel so out of place having not played games like "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" and several other popular fighting games. Even still, I am mostly familiar with a lot of titles to say I somewhat belong in some fighting game discussions. Seeing the SaltyBet Twitch channel makes you see what kinds of crazy characters have been made into MUGEN characters. Some MUGEN creations can be either better or worse than original characters. Like, someone made a version of Akuma that was all mostly with fancy energy blasts and stuff... dude was softer than a marshmallow! And then there were these two Dragonball Z type characters that fired one beam and could kill their opponents in less than one second. So you never know what you'll find with some peoples' creations.

It seems fairly simple to make your own characters and stages for MUGEN. They don't have to be fancy, but there isn't too much hard work involved making your own characters. I've seen cheap characters and "MS Paint" characters a lot watching the SaltyBet Twitch streams of MUGEN. Following the model of Kung Fu Man (KFM), I realize it isn't too much hard work to design a character for MUGEN. By the way, I was impressed at some 3D characters made into 2D and done cleanly with clean textures and animations. Like I saw a 3D Chun Li character that was done quite nicely. Unfortunately, I think she lost in a 3-0 sweep (most SaltyBet MUGEN fights are Best-of-5).

To that end, I am working on making at least one character and at least one stage. I want it all to be original- I'm not going to copy over any existing characters unless I am trying to use certain sprites and textures as test mules. I am even using Inkscape to build vector images to later trim down to be useful in MUGEN. As I'm learning to make material for MUGEN, I'm also learning vector art. So this is a learning experience for yours truly. If I do make something interesting, I'll share it here, in my blog(s), or even on my creative works site.

Besides these things, I am going to try to watch more videos of certain popular fighting games I am purely unfamiliar with. So when I look at stuff like SaltyBet, I can at least know what I'm talking about with some more popular fighting games and fighting game series.

I haven't made progress making a MUGEN character or a stage, but I am kind of grasping the mechanics of putting something together. I found out from the MUGEN 1.1 Beta that there is an extra data file that gives you 60 character slots rather than 12. I am basically using this MUGEN beta to test out making characters, stages, and maybe even screenpacks. However, I may need to operate through the original stable MUGEN to test out making characters. It is tough work to make a character. If you do it right, though, you can make amazing characters. Watching stuff like SaltyBet on Twitch opens me up to all kinds of characters and stages for the game.

The prospect of Street Fighter EX4 reminded me of one Twitch chat I was in. I hinted that we'd probably get a Street Fighter 6 before we see a Rival Schools 3 in that chat. Part of me also wondered if we maybe would see a Street Fighter Alpha 4. I kind of think of the Alpha series more like the MegaMan/RockMan X series apart from the original MegaMan/RockMan games. The S.F. Alpha games just seemed more serious while also offering a good bit of flexibility in how you fight and in executing moves. Certainly SFA3 was great even giving you options on fighting style and the different ISMs. So if there was an SFA4, I would imagine it would get the 2D-looking 3D treatment of today's Street Fighter games since SF4. Could old characters possibly return? Or could some Street Fighter characters make their Alpha debut? Just something to imagine...

What I like most about Street Fighter V on PS4 is that it works with my PS3 Soul Calibur IV Hori stick via legacy controllers.

What I don't like is losing in battle 30 of Survival mode (normal 30 fight version)

Steam has Blazblue: CentraFiction (36 usd) on sale and the entire BB series as a whole( 50 usd)
I think they will still finish Tekken X Street Fighter before they move on to a 6th; Hopefully..

Apparently, alot of the Tag2 combos work for some characters. I was watching a combo break down

LETS BRING BACK THE HOPKICK GOODNESS!

Latest in my MUGEN developing adventures is that I successfully was able to make my own character as well as making a stage out of a static image. My character can't be beat! ...but that's only because I haven't given my test character any hitboxes or any attacking features. It's still only one frame for its idle. What I am realizing is that I can make larger-size sprites to define my character only that I have to scale the character to a suitable size. Because of this, I am now looking at trying to develop better quality vector elements of my characters. I am kind of torn between trying to piece together parts of my characters in GIMP or Photoshop, or trying to piece them together after rigging my 2D images in Blender. Either way, I am looking at my options on the character front.

I even went ahead and made my own work-in-progress template for designing characters in MUGEN Fighter Factory. I took the Elecbyte Player template character and the CNS file for Kung Fu Man (KFM). What I eventually want to do is create a template I can use to utilize whatever kinds of characters I want to create. One will serve as a default for a series of characters I want to create. However, I may elect to have different templates for different fighting styles. I am using the MUGEN 1.1 Beta for testing purposes mostly. Someone made a 2D version of Akira from Virtua Fighter 5. While this Akira is unlike any of the more flashy fighters, it had a simple kind of fighting and AI behavior that I liked. Doesn't have any Super/Hyper moves, but I'm sure I could add those with some ingenuity. So I'm still kind of studying other MUGEN characters to build that perfect template of a fighter.

While still trying stuff out for MUGEN, I'm still watching a lot of the MUGEN battles on Twitch from the two main channels that stream MUGEN battles. I am also trying to educate myself on certain fighting games and fighting game series from various games I've never played or seen.

That sounds fun man. At one point, I tried making a game with odd characters but it just never worked out.

It is a lot of fun. But if you're seriously trying to create a fighter or a stage for MUGEN, it's some tough work. I am even taking advice from someone who's been using vector graphics and then making several editing touches to them to make some wonderful character sprites. You learn however you can and put various methods into practice.

So GGXrd Rev. 2 demo on PS4 — perhaps the best Baiken I've ever played with, though the last time I played with her was GGX2 but the point remains.

She has a sweet Overdrive and it's a trap.

I am sure proud of myself. I challenged myself to run Fatal Fury Special as fast as possible, and not only did I beat the recognized World Record, but I did it twice.

The record, as recognized by Speedrun.com is currently at 23:16, and it is held by a person named Amy Rose. 18 hours ago, I beat the record by ~3 minutes to 20:26. Fast forward to three hours ago, I beat my own unverified record by over a minute to 19:07.

Ironically enough, the World Record for the Arcade version is sitting at a little over 21 minutes, and that should be eclipsable.

Video Evidence:

Final Time: 20:26

Final Time: 19:07

Was there any specific reason for picking Terry? Watching Speed runs, players would pick specific characters for some reason.

Was there any specific reason for picking Terry? Watching Speed runs, players would pick specific characters for some reason.
Easier for me to use. But there is no specific reason, time wise as to why I picked Terry

Is the world record in the SNES version?

Yes, this is for the SNES version of the game. I am currently working on getting the record on the arcade version of the game, which is a little harder to do. However, with the current record standing at sub-22 minutes, I feel like that I can smash that, even if it is by a minute or two.

Also as a sidebar, I found out why the run isn't going to be verified any time soon. There is no moderator for the game on the site. I hope to have that rectified shortly.

Okay, minor update: I asked to be put into the position where I verified the run myself, but then I found out that there was a run that smashed the 19:07. After cooling down, I went back to work...

And in case you missed it, yes, I reclaimed the WR by 2 seconds.

On Twitch right now, I am seeing "King of Fighters XIV" for the first time. While my SNK gaming experience is severely limited, I must say KOF14 (if I'm good with Roman numerals) looks pretty clean and smooth. I think KOF was resisting the urge to go 3D until this game came out. I was impressed with the likes of characters like Benimaru and Mui Mui. From MUGEN, I seen Daimon and his grapple-happy style.

King of Fighters XIV is a game I'd probably add to my game collection if I had to choose.

Ten Days later, and another World Record falls. This time it is SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos. This game uses an in game timer to time the runs, but I still smashed this record by over 5 minutes. (Record was 14:12.10 game time and 16:57.42 Real time) New record is now 8:54.57 Game Time and 11:16.30 Real Time pending verification.

The run was in the Arcade Level-1 category and was using an Arcade emulator.

Back